Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

but are there blacks and girls in this game because let me tell you something,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Eh there are quite a lot of people (myself included) that have really enjoyed the BFV beta, despite it being buggy and janky as gently caress and having quite a bit of mechanical and balancing issues. In fact a lot of my friends that were planning on passing on the game are now hyped as gently caress for the full release.

I am pretty impressed with the Blackout beta, seems pretty close to release quality. Missed out on the regular multiplayer betas but from what I've seen that also seemed fairly well-polished. Which, to be fair to DICE, blops4 is mostly an iterative continuation of the COD series whereas BFV departs much more radically from previous Battlefields.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Day 1 recap from Devs:

quote:

- Item Pickups: We’ve seen several comments suggesting that the item pickup time is slower than expected. We’ll be updating the game to make pickup speeds as fast as possible without interfering with reloading, and make it easier to pick up items without looking directly at them. PC players will also be able to map keys to instantly pick up items when the Blackout Beta goes live on PC later this week.
- Quick Equip Menu: Some players have had trouble performing certain actions while the Quick Equip menu is open. We have two fixes set to go live around 10AM PT tomorrow (Tuesday) that will help with this: Quick Equip will auto-close if you don't do anything in it for 5 seconds, and auto-close and prevent from opening when using the Recon Car. For future reference, the Quick Equip menu can be closed by pressing down on the d-pad.
- Armor: Much like the early days of the MP Beta, we’ve seen some online discussion about the utility of Armor in Blackout. We’re keeping a close eye on Armor’s performance during the Beta.
- Friendly Fire: We’re aware that friendly fire allows your teammates to take you out – by mistake, or in some unfortunate circumstances, on purpose. While we always recommend choosing your Duo and Quad partners wisely, we’ll keep an eye on teamkilling throughout the Beta and consider other options. We’re also collecting stats on players who damage their teammates with friendly fire and have a security team monitoring those players for offenses that are outside the bounds of the occasional accident. Play nice out there.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

See when the devs mean "Play nice out there", they're really saying "Hey it's perfectly fine to play catch with Macy's sniper bullets as they zoom through the air."

Just calling that now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It would be super lame if they took out friendly fire.

Played for like 3+ hours tonight. Really enjoyed it. It answers the question I've had for a while of "what if PUBG and fortnite didn't look and play like poo poo".

It rips off PUBG more than Fortnite ever did. It's basically a carbon copy of it. TBH it's going to render PUBG completely irrelevant most likely. It's just the same thing but astronomically better in most ways (although I think Blackout fails at a few of the most notable things PUBG does but it really doesn't matter when the general performance and gameplay is so much better it feels like you jumped into the future by comparison) . I wouldn't be surprised it some anemic lawsuit threats are incoming.

One thing they need to do is either just get rid of the zombies or do something interesting with them because their inclusion feels totally pointless and tacked on right now.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 11, 2018

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I bet Blackout will be the most popular mode by a large margin, and CoD-purists will be pissed that muh CoD has been PUBG'D.

It's really good though. Everyone has been waiting for a competent PUBG clone that performs well and looks good, without all the jank, and this is it.

This might even revive CoD on PC, which has been dead ever since Ghosts killed it.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Ayyyyy a solo win day one! (Why were none of y'all onnnnn)

...why does a win give only 3 XP points is the next question

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Ayyyyy a solo win day one! (Why were none of y'all onnnnn)

...why does a win give only 3 XP points is the next question

I looked when I got home from work a few hours ago but didn't see anyone on. Good job though, thoughts on the mode?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm not into BR, but this feels surprisingly finished. Only noticed some minor bugs. If I were PUBG, I'd be worried - it's much better than their pathetic effort on consoles. Also, only got to #2 - should have taken that sniper rifle!

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Lambert posted:

I'm not into BR, but this feels surprisingly finished. Only noticed some minor bugs. If I were PUBG, I'd be worried - it's much better than their pathetic effort on consoles. Also, only got to #2 - should have taken that sniper rifle!

PUBG is 100% dead when this comes out, even on PC. This simply does everything better, and most importantly feels good to play. The movement in PUBG is and has always been awkward, laggy and desync'y, while this feels as smooth as CoD always does.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
my SO made me play a poo poo ton of fortnite with her, and its the only BR I have ever played before. I don't really like playing it to be honest and did not have high hopes for this...

but after a few rounds I can already say I'm enjoying this much more than I ever did fortnite.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Only noticed two things out of place. The time to kill is way too high right now, and seeing someone way out far is pointless to shoot at because of it. Zombies are pointless. Not sure why they're in the BR mode at all. Game looks amazing outside of that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Philthy posted:

Only noticed two things out of place. The time to kill is way too high right now, and seeing someone way out far is pointless to shoot at because of it. Zombies are pointless. Not sure why they're in the BR mode at all. Game looks amazing outside of that.

Areas where they spawn have zombie crates which have better / kitted weapons and they also drop healing items so if you need to stock up they're not a terrible option.

The only thing I'd add to Blackout for an even more COD experience is to rip off the PUBG mortar strike zones and have random killstreaks hit the map. Like just have a bombing run make a pass or an A-10 strafe run.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
i look forward to playing blackout forever*

*up until the precise moment that survival mode is released for the division 2

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Kizurue posted:

I looked when I got home from work a few hours ago but didn't see anyone on. Good job though, thoughts on the mode?

I’m definitely a COD fan in general so I’m gonna have some bias, but like others have said it’s SHOCKINGLY fun. I don’t care for the building mechanics in Fortnite, and this does what PUBG does, but better.

The First-Person mode really works well with the “survival” aspect of these kind of games.

I like how the gliding and airdropping works.

I still have a soft spot for Realm Royale when it comes to BR games, but yeah it’s really really good. I can see us weaving in and out of this and “normal” CoD multiplayer if either mode gets stale, so yeah.

8.3/10

edit: I’ll be on very late tonight and a good chunk of Weds/Thursday afternoons if anyone is around. Probably will stream too?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Same. I skipped the last few COD games since I shifted back to primarily PC gaming over the last year or two, but I'm holding out a sliver of hope that Activision can make this poo poo good enough to sustain a playerbase on PC large enough to keep the BR mode going. If not, then it'll be back to PUBG until Division 2 comes out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

You'll be back when you realize it's another Ubi release with game-breaking bugs. :haw:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

BCRock posted:

Same. I skipped the last few COD games since I shifted back to primarily PC gaming over the last year or two, but I'm holding out a sliver of hope that Activision can make this poo poo good enough to sustain a playerbase on PC large enough to keep the BR mode going. If not, then it'll be back to PUBG until Division 2 comes out.

BCRock, a whole bunch of the XBL goons shifted to PC games and we have a discord together, what's your discord tag?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'll support an Ubi over anybody else's any day.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGn25URIss8

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

So goonspiricist and I played a handful of games at like 6am eastern today and this was FUN! Much more so than I expected it to be. I was fully ready to write the entire mode off, but now I’m kind of thinking this is going to be quite enjoyable to play with you folks. I’m happy team killing is in this because it adds a degree of tension to it that it honestly needs. I even found myself wanting to stick it out and watch after we’d both been eliminated just to see who won.

I’m curious what the point of leveling up is. I don’t think I did in the time we played. Also, will there be a prestige associated with this? I’m guessing it will be some stupid epeen shorty man Barbie doll dress up stuff since it would defeat the purpose to give people advantages coming in, but who knows.

Also, total random aside: the voice codec they used is easily the best of any cod game in memory. There was virtually no difference between in game chat and a PlayStation party in terms of quality.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

BCRock, a whole bunch of the XBL goons shifted to PC games and we have a discord together, what's your discord tag?

Nice. BCRock#1578.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Are BR & MP account levels kept separate? I just want to prestige a ton but also wave my dick in battle royale. Do I get the best of both worlds?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

faantastic posted:

Are BR & MP account levels kept separate? I just want to prestige a ton but also wave my dick in battle royale. Do I get the best of both worlds?

Yeah Blackout has a completely separate progression system based on merit, not XP.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Watching Shroud and Lirik stream Blackout and holy crap it looks like great fun. All I ever wanted out of a BR was PUBG but less janky and a little bit faster paced, and it really looks like they've nailed it. I dunno about zombies though, they seem utterly pointless.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Double Bill posted:

PUBG is 100% dead when this comes out, even on PC.

Lol - I'm no huge PUBG fan but this is just completely wrong. Despite losing players each month, PUBG on PC remains at the top of the steam charts and not by a small margin. I don't think a $60 PC game is going to suddenly cause a massive additional drop in PUBG player base, which still hits at or above 1 million concurrent users per day.

For perspective: PUBG's peak CCU today is still higher than CS:GO's all time peak CCU.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
At the rate things are going, PUBG wont't hit 1 million concurrent players regularly for much longer. They've been bleeding an enormous amount of players.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

As someone who loved PUBG and gave it up after they began pushing more $kins than bug fixes, Blackout is super appealing. Even if it's just a not-laggy PUBG I'll be putting in at least 300 hours.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Played one game of blackout. It's fun! Time to get a spreadsheet going for who wants to duo in it.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Any of you going to be on tonight?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

fargom posted:

Lol - I'm no huge PUBG fan but this is just completely wrong. Despite losing players each month, PUBG on PC remains at the top of the steam charts and not by a small margin. I don't think a $60 PC game is going to suddenly cause a massive additional drop in PUBG player base, which still hits at or above 1 million concurrent users per day.

For perspective: PUBG's peak CCU today is still higher than CS:GO's all time peak CCU.

It's gonna be destroyed once open beta on PC beings Friday. Shroud and Dr love it. The first beta was well received on PC and its not a hot garbage mess of a game unlike Pubg. Being on battle net and not having to worry about cheating or support is the bonus.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

RBX posted:

Being on battle net and not having to worry about cheating

Tell me more about this Utopia

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

He’s not wrong.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

^ - I want to know how though.

Bumper Stickup posted:

Played one game of blackout. It's fun! Time to get a spreadsheet going for who wants to duo in it.

Who wouldn't?

Always play with goons.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mister Facetious posted:

^ - I want to know how though.

It's a safe bet that whatever anti-cheat they have in place is better than whatever shoddy implementation PUBG has.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Because blizzard is quick and strong with the bans. They update it alot. Valve is much slower.

And about Ubi soft. They support their games and talk to the community.

It's not 2008 anymore things have changed.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

RBX posted:

It's gonna be destroyed once open beta on PC beings Friday. Shroud and Dr love it. The first beta was well received on PC and its not a hot garbage mess of a game unlike Pubg. Being on battle net and not having to worry about cheating or support is the bonus.

Cod is for sure going to be a big hit, but there is a massive gap between "highest peak and average CCU on steam charts" and "dead/destroyed." PUBG will be just fine even if shroud/doc stop playing completely.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I wonder if a 960 will be able to get a steady 60 if I turn poo poo down. I normally buy CoD games on PS4 because they're just about the only console shooters that feel decent, but I dunno about playing a BR game with inventory management and poo poo on a controller.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Titan supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

RBX posted:

And about Ubi soft. They support their games and talk to the community. *

* A year after release
See:
Division
For Honor
Unity
R6: Siege