Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

headcase posted:

I don't know I've played overwatch pretty much every day since launch. It's probably more fun now than it was then. I think my brain is broken.

I was like that until like half-way through the last season. I think the Mercy nerfs broke me (she was the hero I enjoyed the most, and the heroes I've switched to (Rein and Winston) aren't super favored in the meta right now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I usually retreat to quickplay for awhile if comp is pissing me off, or learn a new hero.

For like, 7 seasons I was a D.Va/76 main, now I main Moira/Hanzo :shrug:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I placed at 2350 today. About where I was at the end of last season.

Also, maybe I'm just a blind zealot, but I don't see how anyone could reject the divine truth that Team Comp Doesn't Matter*. In my experience there is very little, if any, evidence to suggest that team comp is correlated with winrate/SR, at least at gold. As far as I've seen, when people play their best heroes, they win, pure and simple.

*As long as you have at least one tank and one healer

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

ShriekingMarxist posted:

I usually retreat to quickplay for awhile if comp is pissing me off, or learn a new hero.

For like, 7 seasons I was a D.Va/76 main, now I main Moira/Hanzo :shrug:

I haven't willingly played Comp in 3 seasons because as bad as being totally wretched feels in QP/Arcade, being that bad in comp feels ten times worse. Basically from season 2's beginning on through like, placements season 10 I was within +/- 100-200 of an SR of 2650. I'm still there, but I guarantee you I play like a Silver now, so playing comp would be an exercise in losing over and over and over to the point where my team could justifiably report me for throwing just because I've probably shed a good 8-900 points of SR worth of skill in the last few months. :smith:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I’m super bad at Tracer but I was slampicking her all morning in defiance of all team comp considerations, apologies to anyone who was in my QP groups.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Montalvo posted:

I'm in this boat right now and I'd also be interested to see what others have done in this situation. Right now I'm mostly throwing myself into mindless space exploration in Elite: Dangerous and some Rocket League, but the itch to play Overwatch hasn't really been back for a couple of weeks, and it honestly makes me kind of say.

E:D is good, but I think Rocket League and Overwatch compete for brain space. They don't look the same, but they're both frenetic games with more of a skill curve than you realize, where you tryhard against other humans. I also play both and I think it contributes to the problem. I often find myself only able to give a poo poo about one at a time

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

My advice would be to play LFG quickplay with roles. I played a bunch of it leveling an alt account up and It was actually really fun and competitive. The only reason to play comp is if you are trying to measure your improvement. Or if you just like the mirrored round format, I guess.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I honestly think that if you're the right kind of broken to enjoy it, Elite: Dangerous is as good as it gets for a mindless recharge game when you don't want to compete. I only uninstalled it because the peripherals like TrackIR and hotas were taking over my desk, and the grind for a perfect anaconda fit was starting to take over my life. If I could find a good low key version of that I'd be good to go

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Unsinkabear posted:

E:D is good, but I think Rocket League and Overwatch compete for brain space. They don't look the same, but they're both frenetic games with more of a skill curve than you realize, where you tryhard against other humans. I also play both and I think it contributes to the problem. I often find myself only able to give a poo poo about one at a time

Rocket League is great because you can’t type out directed comments toward the bullshit and have to passive aggressively express your frustration with emotes like Wow! and Nice Save!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Rocket League is great because you can’t type out directed comments toward the bullshit and have to passive aggressively express your frustration with emotes like Wow! and Nice Save!

Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.
A million voices cried out in unison:

exquisite tea posted:

I’m super bad at Tracer but I was slampicking her all morning in defiance of all team comp considerations

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Montalvo posted:

I'm in this boat right now and I'd also be interested to see what others have done in this situation. Right now I'm mostly throwing myself into mindless space exploration in Elite: Dangerous and some Rocket League, but the itch to play Overwatch hasn't really been back for a couple of weeks, and it honestly makes me kind of say.

I was in this situation in early June. I played lots of Mario Tennis, Hollow Knight, and Octopath. Then I came back to OW late in July cause my office was closed for a week due to flooding. I went stir crazy and have since fallen back in love with OW. Take a break. Don't think about OW. It's not going anywhere.

Or do what I'm doing lately and play Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate. :)

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

That fits console overwatch to a t.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Unsinkabear posted:

Yeah, this is a good point. I can especially feel it in the part of my brain that thinks "I don't want to compete right now" when I feel like playing neither; but RL matches are only 5 minute long affairs so it's easier to jump into briefly. The new Rocket Pass is also a good incentive to play, but I'm feeling that fizzling out right now too.

Unsinkabear posted:

I honestly think that if you're the right kind of broken to enjoy it, Elite: Dangerous is as good as it gets for a mindless recharge game when you don't want to compete. I only uninstalled it because the peripherals like TrackIR and hotas were taking over my desk, and the grind for a perfect anaconda fit was starting to take over my life. If I could find a good low key version of that I'd be good to go

Yeah, literally all I do in E:D is listen to music or podcasts while traveling to far flung corners of the galaxy to take pretty screenshots.

I guess I'll just wait for the OW itch to come back and try LFG quick play while I get back into it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I think that's a first for me - enough people raged out at the end of round one of a MH game it went to re-instancing, another quit, and the game just shut down and went back to menu lol.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

exquisite tea posted:

I’m super bad at Tracer but I was slampicking her all morning in defiance of all team comp considerations, apologies to anyone who was in my QP groups.

You need to play Hammond and get your next-level feed on. 150 hp is nothing!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I completely whiff the pulse bomb an embarrassing percentage of the time. How do I reliably get it to stick on any hero that isn't already an enormous fatass like Roadhog?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Get closer and aim better.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Set up a training skirmish against 6 bots, set your ult to always be charged, and practice only tossing your bomb for a while. Just becoming more comfortable with it's arc will help a ton

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hm that's a good idea! I feel like I aim too low with it or something and it just flops to the ground. Sometimes it still even manages to kill people, god bless Quick Play.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The other thing that helps with the bomb is to learn exactly how far your blink goes. If you can see when a target is at the exact distance where you can blink in and immediately ult to stick the bomb onto them, then it's easier to find opportunities to get a quick bomb off without fiddling around with adjustments after a blink that invariably lead to you whiffing.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

nickhimself posted:

Set up a training skirmish against 6 bots, set your ult to always be charged, and practice only tossing your bomb for a while. Just becoming more comfortable with it's arc will help a ton

This and the post above (learning exactly how far Blink goes) are what you need to do. Once you master the arc/travel time and the blink/distance, you can pop in, stick the bomb up a healer's butt, and run away. Doing it on bots is good, or run a custom game with a bunch of different healers running around for you to bomb.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
Sometimes sticking it to the fatass tank works for the best because they'll panic and run towards their 200 HP friends. I think I've killed more people that I didn't stick the bomb to than the other way around.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is it me or I am seeing some cheating Mei. The moment their freeze gun even hits you it instantly takes away your movement and attack power but way before you get the frozen status.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
mfw Tracer sticks me as Moira

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Rirse posted:

Is it me or I am seeing some cheating Mei. The moment their freeze gun even hits you it instantly takes away your movement and attack power but way before you get the frozen status.

no the slow on mei's gun is very very strong. its so people don't escape her by running straight away. you jump to the side and haul rear end or put something between you and her so not as much of the spray is hitting you this gives you a little more time to get away before the freeze goes you don't lose any attack and if you see her coming you can get off 2 shots. 1 when she approaches and 1 while she's firing if she's low and self-freeze is on CD you can kill her first but one of her teammates might still finish you off before you can move at full speed again

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think I have like a zero % winrate this comp when I'm not playing Mercy the whole match.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I thought the sun armor was going for a Dark Souls reference, but maybe my judgment is clouded because I watched this video first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fy2DpSf1zY

Brilliant, Love the "Adding Hamsters" line at the beginning

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Does anybody else get ghost images of the ultimate gauge when you close your eyes sometimes? Happens whenever I come back to this game. Trippy!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I had a dream I got an exclusive opportunity to playtest hero 29

It was literally Master Chief from Halo with a needler

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I had a dream I got an exclusive opportunity to playtest hero 29

It was literally Master Chief from Halo with a needler

reported for breaking Blizzard NDA

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I've been seeing a lot of streamers complain about Sombra since i started playing again a few weeks ago. What has changed to take her out of the trash that she was in? I only really qp and am bad, so the ones i run into are also bad.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

pakman posted:

I've been seeing a lot of streamers complain about Sombra since i started playing again a few weeks ago. What has changed to take her out of the trash that she was in? I only really qp and am bad, so the ones i run into are also bad.
She basically fulfills her intended role of being a huge pain in the rear end, especially if you like to play tanks. I can't remember every change, but her teleport beacons now last until they're used (or destroyed), so good players always have an escape plan.

*stealth*
*hack*
*shoot*
*teleport*
*stealth*
*hack*
*shoot*
*teleport*
*stealth*
*hack*

At least that's what it looks like from a tank's perspective...

exquisite tea posted:

Does anybody else get ghost images of the ultimate gauge when you close your eyes sometimes? Happens whenever I come back to this game. Trippy!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 11, 2018

SurelyForth
May 21, 2007

Yeah, they buffed Sombra's invis and translocator which made her easier to pick up and then buffed Doomfist and added Hammond, both heroes that she hard counters. She's still terrible in the hands of most players, mostly because they do nothing in between EMPs, but in the hands of someone with decent aim and good game sense she's a monster.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I wish they didn't make her 'destroy teleporter pad' the activate button (same as to use Sym's teleport). I'm console so I have 'activate' set to left stick's button (because i'm running of of buttons), which I jam all the loving time in a firefight and keep destroying my escape before I can use it. I would change it for her but then I would have to give up either a d-pad button and remember that if a sym is on my team I got to use something other then all my other chars to use the portal.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
All I feel for console Overwatch players is pity. We always seem to get 1-3 console players signing up for Overwatch Chicago leagues and they just get demolished, masters or not. :rip:

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Caitlin posted:

All I feel for console Overwatch players is pity. We always seem to get 1-3 console players signing up for Overwatch Chicago leagues and they just get demolished, masters or not. :rip:

I don't play overwatch on console to be good, I play it so I can chill to some mystery heroes on the couch while not being sober

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Lucio mix and match:

(-) Take away passive auras.
(+) Passive minor trickle self heal
(+) Passive slightly increased base speed for self
(+) Better primary fire
(+) e button does something like brigettes distant heal pack, or other spitball idea
(=) Shift button gives boosted speed aura temporarily.

Predictions:
a) Semi-support lucio
b) Way less heal output
c) Slightly better damage
d) Way less reason to stand on top of your team the whole time
e) More than slightly better effective damage output, because lucio is free to position aggressively
f) More resilient than other roamers, but much less lethal in general
g) Way more fun?

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Montalvo posted:

I don't play overwatch on console to be good, I play it so I can chill to some mystery heroes on the couch while not being sober

This guy gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://twitter.com/unitlostgaming/status/1039833435144118273?s=19

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Que: this is desirable to me and as such should be free.