Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

DuckConference posted:

I’m confused. Did that guy get mace himself in the face on a livestream in exchange for the now-chargebacked donations?

So much better than having a real job, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I hope he's squirreling that money away somewhere because $500,000 a month is hay while the sun shines.

I’m impressed you made it through that post without loling yourself out the door

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CmdrRiker posted:

This guy admitted to $190k in debt and then says "We are buying property from my grandparents for our starter place." Dude, you're going to be in debt for over a quarter of your adult life. Perhaps longer.

Dude is def insane, but I'd bet probably 80% of people in the US at least live in debt from 18 (or earlier) to the grave.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Dude is def insane, but I'd bet probably 80% of people in the US at least live in debt from 18 (or earlier) to the grave.

I mean there's certainly a distinction to be drawn between someone technically "in debt" but managing it fine (pretty much everyone has a loan, mortgage, etc.) and someone struggling with crippling debt and making it worse.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Krispy Wafer posted:

What happens in this case? Clawbacks on all the property? The buyers know the husband is going through a divorce and the prices are way below market value, so I suspect the wife can force the item's return or sue for 50% of their real value. At least the husband is just hiding the assets, so it's unlikely any of the family members will sell the cars or watches. It's going to be loving beautiful.

My child's friend is a dumbass who stole a pair of AirPods out of the lost & found and at the local roller rink (turns out they belonged to the manager's son). He then sold them to another friend whose parents wouldn't give them back (said they were 'lost'). Dumbass' mom had to pay full price and her son is now banned from the rink. It's not as cool as tens of thousands of dollars in fraud, but he's still young and it looks like he's learning fast.

If it's anything like bankruptcy, they will go after the people who were involved in the transfer of assets as well. Since divorce is state-based and bankruptcy is federal (with state guidance as well) there probably are huge differences. Bare minimum he will be put in arrears and have to pay the market-value of what would be considered her half. I am also guessing he didn't appropriately file taxes for the gigantic gifts he gave, so he probably will end up slapped with IRS and their state agency fines and back taxes.

It's funny people think they can get away with that poo poo; especially when they do it as brazen as selling a $30k truck for $550. And then they tell the spouse exactly what they're doing. It is like those tree stories where the neighbor is smug as poo poo that they just committed major crimes that they feel compelled to admit it to the person they committed the crime against. Makes it substantially harder to play dumb when you outright admit what you're doing.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Raldikuk posted:

If it's anything like bankruptcy, they will go after the people who were involved in the transfer of assets as well. Since divorce is state-based and bankruptcy is federal (with state guidance as well) there probably are huge differences. Bare minimum he will be put in arrears and have to pay the market-value of what would be considered her half. I am also guessing he didn't appropriately file taxes for the gigantic gifts he gave, so he probably will end up slapped with IRS and their state agency fines and back taxes.

It's funny people think they can get away with that poo poo; especially when they do it as brazen as selling a $30k truck for $550. And then they tell the spouse exactly what they're doing. It is like those tree stories where the neighbor is smug as poo poo that they just committed major crimes that they feel compelled to admit it to the person they committed the crime against. Makes it substantially harder to play dumb when you outright admit what you're doing.

My favorite is the guy who went around and got a free consultation with every divorce attorney in town, because that way his wife couldn't hire any of them

His wife got wind of what he was doing, and the husband was financially penalized and had to pay the wife extra money because she had to hire someone from further away

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Enos Cabell posted:

Vox Nihili posted:

I mean there's certainly a distinction to be drawn between someone technically "in debt" but managing it fine (pretty much everyone has a loan, mortgage, etc.) and someone struggling with crippling debt and making it worse.

My criticism was more about the psychological implications of being in major debt but still feeling entitled to move beyond a "starter home." I might be reading too much into what "starter home" means to them, but it definitely feels as though he thinks he will be able to afford a "better home" in the near future.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

CmdrRiker posted:

My criticism was more about the psychological implications of being in major debt but still feeling entitled to move beyond a "starter home." I might be reading too much into what "starter home" means to them, but it definitely feels as though he thinks he will be able to afford a "better home" in the near future.
Not to mention the expensive college degree, then tying himself down to what sounds like a rural area with few job options for him by buying a house there.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Thanatosian posted:

If I'm a betting man, they're in Eastern Washington, and refuse to move, so there aren't any loving jobs, because nobody loving lives there.

orchard. they're in wenatchee or yakima. where you can work in an orchard or be really into biking and that's about it

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

the talent deficit posted:

orchard. they're in wenatchee or yakima. where you can work in an orchard or be really into biking and that's about it

Could be the Columbia River gorge. There are a lot of orchards there.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9ex27n/is_my_dad_screwing_me_over/

quote:

Hi all,

My dad recently contacted me because he needs some money. I don't have a problem with lending my dad money, but it brought to my attention a mortgage loan that was put under my name a few years ago. Two years ago he convinced me to be a non-occupant co-borrower on a mortgage loan under the condition that I would not have to pay a penny. Forgive my ignorance, but to be honest I'm not 100% sure why he needed my name on the papers, but I'm guessing it was helpful in refinancing the loan because my salary is much higher than his. It's important to note that the money he recently asked for was not related to the mortgage.

I provided the accountant my necessary information without too much consideration because I figured my dad was looking out for my best interest (we've had a fine relationship hitherto so I didn't have a reason to doubt him). I haven't thought about the mortgage until my dad contacted me the other day, which made me wonder how my father is paying for the mortgage and taxes if he's short on money.

I don't feel comfortable asking my dad about the details. Should I be concerned that the mortgage or taxes aren't being paid? I reached out to the accountant and asked him for information on the bank that provided the loan. He said the loan was sold to another financial institution by now and would need to pull my credit report to determine which one. I'm not sure if my dad is putting me in jeopardy, but I'd like to make sure. What steps should I take?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I enjoy the posts where the protagonist talks to a professional, receives an answer, and then ignores the answer and posts his questions on Reddit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

I enjoy the posts where the protagonist talks to a professional, receives an answer, and then ignores the answer and posts his questions on Reddit.

Getting a second opinion after talking to a professional is a fine thing to do.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

But he could have pulled a credit report in 10 minutes. I'm starting to believe he's afraid of what he might find.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

But he could have pulled a credit report in 10 minutes. I'm starting to believe he's afraid of what he might find.

Oh, almost certainly.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
People at work were requesting for their bonuses to be split across multiple checks in the same year so they would pay less in taxes.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

OctaviusBeaver posted:

People at work were requesting for their bonuses to be split across multiple checks in the same year so they would pay less in taxes.

Does payroll accommodate this nonsense or do they tell them to pound sand?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Subjunctive posted:

In general, not from strangers on reddit.

I also love the "I am more comfortable getting into a detail-hazy long-term financial deal with my dad, but not enough to ask him about it."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

OctaviusBeaver posted:

do these people like, know, how taxes work or nah

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I want to low-key float the idea that if we got tiny paychecks ever 15 minutes then taxes would be even lower.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Even after showing someone the IRS website and a sample spreadsheet of how marginal vs. effective, using their specific salary and tax info, they still refused to believe me that getting a raise wouldn't have an overall negative impact on their taxes. They were adamant that they were taking less home overall, even with the facts right in front of them. I dare say that 80% of people in the US would be the exact same way, and that is a conservative guess.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
But don't bonuses have an adverse effect on your taxes for that pay period? Your withholding is adjusted as if you got that much money all the time.

It's silly because you get it back anyway, but then again this thread gets real pissy when people say they withhold more than they need to get a big refund. Maybe microbonuses would get the BFC seal of approval after-all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

But don't bonuses have an adverse effect on your taxes for that pay period?

No.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Your withholding is adjusted as if you got that much money all the time.

Yes. (in general - this is up to whoever is running payroll to some extent)

Withholding is not "taxes". Not being very specific with the terms and what they mean is probably how these misunderstandings propagate.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I want to low-key float the idea that if we got tiny paychecks ever 15 minutes then taxes would be even lower.

Taking a page from the surviving hyperinflation book

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Someone at my office yesterday pulled a GWM by being BWM.

I was talking about what a bummer it was that they were not going to restore some matching to our defined contribution plan because only around 8% of people even contribute more than $0 per year.

The guy told me that he was sad as well, because he is one of the 8% that use it. He said that everyone who doesn't is going to be screwed when they try to retire if they don't contribute to their own defined contribution plan, but that the new Roth option was a scam.

He contributes as much as he can because social security and pensions are all going to go broke and disappear in the next 20 years. By contributing as much as he can, he reduces the "taxable income" box on the W2 and that means he pays less money into the pension plan and social security that will disappear soon.

I told him that our pension and social security are not funded through the income tax. He said that he knew that, but by reducing the "taxable income" part of the W2 you reduce the percentage that the government can take for social security and pensions.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I was talking about what a bummer it was that they were not going to restore some matching to our defined contribution plan because only around 8% of people even contribute more than $0 per year.

The guy told me that he was sad as well, because he is one of the 8% that use it. He said that everyone who doesn't is going to be screwed when they try to retire if they don't contribute to their own defined contribution plan, but that the new Roth option was a scam.

He contributes as much as he can because social security and pensions are all going to go broke and disappear in the next 20 years. By contributing as much as he can, he reduces the "taxable income" box on the W2 and that means he pays less money into the pension plan and social security that will disappear soon.

I told him that our pension and social security are not funded through the income tax. He said that he knew that, but by reducing the "taxable income" part of the W2 you reduce the percentage that the government can take for social security and pensions.

"I'm going to shove as much money into pre tax retirement accounts to lower my income tax margin and contribute less to gov't retirement plans that will disappear in a few decades." Like.. that's good but why would you think about it like that?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Some of my (NY state employee) coworkers have been bitching about our health insurance costs and convincing themselves to lie on some paperwork so they can opt out of the plan and receive a small incentive ($1000 a year) and not carry any insurance. The health insurance is costing them around $40-50 per biweekly paycheck. I’m going to have some stellar BWM stories in like 6 months I think.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Krispy Wafer posted:

But don't bonuses have an adverse effect on your taxes for that pay period? Your withholding is adjusted as if you got that much money all the time.

I’ve never gotten a bonus that wasn’t paid out as a separate check; isn’t that standard?

Conflating it with regular payroll would just be confusing.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

I’ve never gotten a bonus that wasn’t paid out as a separate check; isn’t that standard?

Conflating it with regular payroll would just be confusing.

My bonuses are often paid out as an extra line item on regular direct deposit payroll runs.

It’s not confusing if you can read a pay stub. So I guess that is confusing for a lot of Americans.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Trotskyite Gold

If only gross misunderstandings of the tax code made everybody gold-star savers.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I've had multiple conversations with friends, family, and co-workers throughout the years that all think overtime pay is taxed at some absurdly high rate.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lots of people understand that their taxes aren’t going to change, but that if withholding on an individual check is increased as though they made significantly more than they do, they don’t get to benefit from the money for a long time.

Wanting to lower your withholdings on a particular abnormally high pay isn’t unreasonable.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Lots of people understand that their taxes aren’t going to change, but that if withholding on an individual check is increased as though they made significantly more than they do, they don’t get to benefit from the money for a long time.

Wanting to lower your withholdings on a particular abnormally high pay isn’t unreasonable.

If you know what your total income is going to be, it's simple arithmetic to calculate your proper withholding and fill out a new W-4.

Much less of a hassle than trying to convince your company to pay out your bonus in tiny chunks across a year's worth of paychecks.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

If you know what your total income is going to be, it's simple arithmetic to calculate your proper withholding and fill out a new W-4
Simple arithmetic? This is America!!!

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

The best part is that those contributions are pre-income tax but not pre-payroll tax; so he is still paying into SS. This is why there are 3 boxes on a W2 indicating gross income. SS Wages, Medicare Wages, and Wages Tips & Other Comp.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Ok serious question. I know a fairly success business coach that is making somewhere in the neighborhood of mid 6 figures. She recently informed me that her CPA advised her to donate money to charity to reduce her tax obligations. When I asked her to explain how this worked, she couldn't answer and mentioned something about tax brackets which immediately set off a BWM alarm in my head, or at least point out that she doesn't know what she's talking about, but not necessarily what her CPA knows.

So my question is, is it ever possible to donate money to charity (that you would NOT be donating otherwise), specifically to gain more money back from taxes? The obvious answer sounds like no, but who knows what loop holes may exist that I'm not aware of.

FateFree fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 11, 2018

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

FateFree posted:

Ok serious question. I know a fairly success business coach that is making somewhere in the neighborhood of mid 6 figures. She recently informed me that her CPA advised her to donate money to charity to reduce her tax obligations. When I asked her to explain how this worked, she couldn't answer and mentioned something about tax brackets which immediately set off a BWM alarm in my head, or at least point out that she doesn't know what she's talking about, but not necessarily what her CPA knows.

So my question is, is it ever possible to donate money to charity (that you would NOT be donating otherwise), specifically to gain more money back from taxes? The obvious answer sounds like no, but who knows what loop holes may exist that I'm not aware of.

Yes, but the catch is you have to run the charity.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FateFree posted:

Ok serious question. I know a fairly success business coach that is making somewhere in the neighborhood of mid 6 figures. She recently informed me that her CPA advised her to donate money to charity to reduce her tax obligations. When I asked her to explain how this worked, she couldn't answer and mentioned something about tax brackets which immediately set off a false alarm in my head, or at least point out that she doesn't know what she's talking about, but not necessarily what her CPA knows.

Not in 99.9% of cases. Unless you count fraud.

There are some situations where it has happened. The New York Times had an article about it.

It basically boiled down to people donating things of intangible value (in the NYT story, the woman donated art that was rare, but had little to no commercial value. It could have gone for a lot of money in the right circumstances, but it was essentially impossible to sell for that assessed value) by using a plausible assessed value and double-dipping on some charity tax credit that New York had at the time.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 11, 2018

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

FateFree posted:

I think you're supposed to donate old clothing and write off the sticker price, rather than actual money that you could spend on more clothing.

But if you're donating clothing and you're in the highest tax bracket it's pretty great because you get 40% back on your $50,000 ostrich leather coat.

EDIT: drat YOU LEON TROTSKY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CmdrRiker posted:

"I'm going to shove as much money into pre tax retirement accounts to lower my income tax margin and contribute less to gov't retirement plans that will disappear in a few decades." Like.. that's good but why would you think about it like that?

Some of my older coworkers are very very lucky the company auto-enrolls everyone in a 401k plan that auto-increases their annual contributions by 1% of their pay each year (up to 20%). It’s a good plan with tiny fees and generous company contributions based on how much you are putting in.

You can opt out or not have it auto-increase, but most don’t do that. Based on the blank expressions of these coworkers when asked anything about their retirement plans, having it set up this way by default is likely saving hundreds of retirees from poverty.