Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
There are some good crab write-ups out there as well: https://www.wardensofthemidwest.com/author/joe-from-cincinnati/ Joe's articles really did a lot to help me figure out the game. Also, check out the L5R discord and get into a clan channel. I don't know if other clans are the same but the Crab clan channel is crazy helpful and there are a lot of good players in there that will happily discuss decks and concepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Ok guys here's a new preview for the upcoming Scorpion clan pack

It contains some helpful cards to overcome those wicked Scorpion including these...uhm...two neutral actions...uh...ok well those aren't going to help you so much but hey how about those units!

That Unicorn unit is pretty strong. The Lion Crone is a fantastic card and seeing that ability on a Unicorn that also applies to attachments and characters is huge. Less enamored with the Phoenix character but against a lot of clans he's going to be a 6 political skill unit for 3 cost which is pretty good.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Has anyone run the beginner game for the RPG? I want to run it this weekend and just finished reading through it. It seems like the GM has to do a lot of work narrating everything in a way the PCs can engage with. Does anyone have any tips or advice?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Have you played a role-playing game before? No disrespect, just asking what your experience level with common concepts is. You're right that the GM often has to bear a hell of a lot of weight. A "co-GM" to help out is often a pretty good idea, especially once your group reaches six people. It's much more pleasant to be one of two show-runners working to engage four PCs than to be on your own against five.

I do not have the beginner game box but I've GMd my fair share of L5R, including the past iterations of the Tournament of the Topaz Champion. I will offer any advice I can once I get a feel for what you'd like to know most.

edit: actually I feel like the first and most important thing is what kind of tone you want. Are you going to take the setting very seriously in the hopes of epic samurai drama? Or are you going to accept PCs named after Pokemon who spend all their time running around to Benny Hill music and pulling their kimono collars because they "don't get no respect?" Anything is fine but it helps to know your goals and be on the same page with all of your PCs.

Speaking of the RPG I just saw FFG's new preview article and I'm astonished at the new stuff in the spell descriptions. Alternate names for spells from other styles of making magic? New keywords? Bunch of changed stuff in there, it seems. I don't oppose change, as someone who ranted endlessly at the devs about magic imbalance issues during the beta, but I'm kind of miffed that none of this poo poo was ever run by testers. Experience with RPGs suggests that we're in for some brand new, retooled totally unbalanced nonsense.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 11, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I know some people don't like it, but I suggest the GM fills out the same page tool and then emails a copy to everyone in the group. Sometimes you can get player input on it, but if you're playing with a group of new players I'd recommend that the GM leads and everyone follows.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Saw a preview on Reddit also of a Scorpion personality from their Clan Pack. Unique 3 cost 2/3 Air Shugenja. Action: lose 1 honor, pick a personality, give it +1M and Bushi OR +1P and Courtier until end of phase.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

SuperKlaus posted:

Have you played a role-playing game before? No disrespect, just asking what your experience level with common concepts is. You're right that the GM often has to bear a hell of a lot of weight. A "co-GM" to help out is often a pretty good idea, especially once your group reaches six people. It's much more pleasant to be one of two show-runners working to engage four PCs than to be on your own against five.

I do not have the beginner game box but I've GMd my fair share of L5R, including the past iterations of the Tournament of the Topaz Champion. I will offer any advice I can once I get a feel for what you'd like to know most.

edit: actually I feel like the first and most important thing is what kind of tone you want. Are you going to take the setting very seriously in the hopes of epic samurai drama? Or are you going to accept PCs named after Pokemon who spend all their time running around to Benny Hill music and pulling their kimono collars because they "don't get no respect?" Anything is fine but it helps to know your goals and be on the same page with all of your PCs.

Speaking of the RPG I just saw FFG's new preview article and I'm astonished at the new stuff in the spell descriptions. Alternate names for spells from other styles of making magic? New keywords? Bunch of changed stuff in there, it seems. I don't oppose change, as someone who ranted endlessly at the devs about magic imbalance issues during the beta, but I'm kind of miffed that none of this poo poo was ever run by testers. Experience with RPGs suggests that we're in for some brand new, retooled totally unbalanced nonsense.

I've been playing RPGs for like 15 years, mostly D&D some FFG Star Wars. I've ran a Star Wars campaign that lasted a while and spent the last couple months running Curse of Strahd in 5e. I've never run LFR before and hoped the beginner game would be a good introduction to the mechanics and setting of the game.

I ran it on Sunday and to be honest we didn't particularly enjoy it. The Role and Keep with exploding dice felt really swingy, my girlfriend playing the Phoenix Shugenja ended up failing every contest that her character should have been good at and my friend playing the Unicorn ended up not only succeeding at most of the contests but beating the frontrunner. Another friend played the Scorpion which for some reason had 4 composure, causing him to need to unmask every other roll. Unmasking is still confusing by the way. I'm not clear when a player can unmask and if there are any mechanical negatives to it, otherwise, why does it matter? Can a player keep more dice with strife than their remaining composure or does it cap right then and there? Can they then immediately unmask and be good for the next turn?

The contests were eh, it was pretty much me reading the paragraph describing the event and then each of the PCs rolling in turn and that was it. The NPCs were all very barebones and while there were a few opportunities for the players to role play with them, I didn't have enough info about them or know enough info about the setting to really engage.

Pretty much I was hoping the beginner kit would be more like the Edge of the Empire beginner kit which was both a good introduction to the mechanics and a fun adventure that was easy to just jump right in with. This kit could be good with more effort put forth by the GM but if that's what I wanted to do I'd make my own campaign.

My players and I are still intrigued by the setting, though some more than others, but our jury is still out about this system mechanically. I'm considering trying one of the prior editions if we ever decide to give this game another go.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Saw a preview on Reddit also of a Scorpion personality from their Clan Pack. Unique 3 cost 2/3 Air Shugenja. Action: lose 1 honor, pick a personality, give it +1M and Bushi OR +1P and Courtier until end of phase.

Really great stuff. Slots well into both archetypes Scorpion will be running. 3 cost for a potentially 4 political is quite nice and having a Shugenja that can also cover Courtier stuff is A+.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Epi Lepi posted:

I ran it on Sunday and to be honest we didn't particularly enjoy it. The Role and Keep with exploding dice felt really swingy, my girlfriend playing the Phoenix Shugenja ended up failing every contest that her character should have been good at and my friend playing the Unicorn ended up not only succeeding at most of the contests but beating the frontrunner. Another friend played the Scorpion which for some reason had 4 composure, causing him to need to unmask every other roll. Unmasking is still confusing by the way. I'm not clear when a player can unmask and if there are any mechanical negatives to it, otherwise, why does it matter? Can a player keep more dice with strife than their remaining composure or does it cap right then and there? Can they then immediately unmask and be good for the next turn?

My players and I are still intrigued by the setting, though some more than others, but our jury is still out about this system mechanically. I'm considering trying one of the prior editions if we ever decide to give this game another go.

Ah then I am very sorrowful I did not reply to you sooner. I find the 3e version of Topaz Champion a very handy thing, even if you don't want its timeline or mechanical underpinnings. This is because it has a large number of micro-hooks in its sidebars that are amazing for keeping PCs engaged and triggering role-play fun times. The 1e version has a few as well. I'd have recommended you use those as resources but I am too late. It really piqued my player's interest to have each of them assigned a personal scene based on one of the micro-hooks at the end of each tournament day, especially because you're kind of right that if players are reserved and unfamiliar with the setting they really need prompts or the actual tournament events are very uninspired roll-offs.

You may nonetheless wish to dig up the earlier Topaz Championships and some other modules from past editions for their sidebar micro-adventures. Examples: a gambler approaches the frontrunner duelist and asks him to throw a match. Another samurai has a food-eating contest with a PC at a peasant's hut and ends up vomiting disgracefully. A group of fellow Clan members approaches a PC and asks him to bait a guy who's been disrespectful into an alley for a beating. An uptight Lion leaves a family heirloom at an important man's house and shenanigans are the only way to get it back (also he was bawling like a baby in the woods about it). Many of the hooks are reasonably adaptable to settings outside of the Championship and could get your players interacting with NPCs and the setting. All four that I listed, for example, pose simple but fun questions of face, glory, and honor against personal relationships. Like the easy honorable answer to the gambler is to tell him to piss off, but besides the bundle of koku he's offering for a throw, he might pivot after a refusal and offer the PC a leg up through info on his opponent for no charge - is that too much for the PC's honor and pride (two concepts rarely unified in their needs)? And in the end he might make a friend or enemy of the gambler for future sessions.

I don't mean to tell you basic "how to GM" stuff by that as you have plenty of experience. I just mean to show how older modules could be a source of useful material for you. I hope you don't give up on the setting. It is possible (tragically, likely) the 5e Topaz Championship module is just poorly written. As for the mechanics, I think 1e, 3e, and 4e are all more or less fine but more complicated than the new one, and I'm not sure you're going to see any solution to the feeling of swingy-ness.

Again with the disclaimer I don't have the beginner box and am basing this on the beta test rules:

Unmasking's mechanical penalty is that you can't keep dice with strife if the strife would make you exceed composure. Therefore if you refuse to unmask and vent the strife, waiting instead for strife healing from other mechanics, you're going to suffer a success rate penalty. You can vent it out immediately, at your whim, and be immediately reset to zero, yes.

The idea is that when you vent it you immediately do something suboptimal. You don't have to go berserk in combat or scream obscenity at your debate opponent - they specifically ditched the old name "outburst" because beta players took that as a mandate - but you have to deviate in some way from what is the best, wisest course of action. So it can be chill like "this combat round I back away and defend instead of giving the shugenja the cover he needs to cast" or "I get too glib and drop a rude burn about the other guy's sickly daughter" as long as it gets the player to stop being a perfectly logical battle-and-honor robot. Outbursts are therefore supposed to spur role-play and deeper understanding of characters.

If your Scorpion feels he is unmasking too often be sure you are all aware of the non-unmask ways to shed strife. You get strife healing after every encounter and can heal strife with opportunity results in...ah...I think Water stance.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

New Scorpion pack preview!

The Whisperers are pretty interesting. They're pretty costly which I'm not a huge fan of, and their ability isn't exactly proactive but it's pretty strong.

Ignoble Enforcers are ridiculous. A unit with essentially up to 3 fate at the cost of 3 honor? Holy bananas. 5 for a 4/4 is bad but having a unit like that sticking around for a long time is really good.

Insolent Rival is pretty cool. Bad stats for his cost but a built in dishonor duel is good.

I'm not sure if we got the Dojo(?) of Deception previewed before but I'm not quite sure it's good enough to warrant inclusion.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

SuperKlaus posted:

Ah then I am very sorrowful I did not reply to you sooner. I find the 3e version of Topaz Champion a very handy thing, even if you don't want its timeline or mechanical underpinnings. This is because it has a large number of micro-hooks in its sidebars that are amazing for keeping PCs engaged and triggering role-play fun times. The 1e version has a few as well. I'd have recommended you use those as resources but I am too late. It really piqued my player's interest to have each of them assigned a personal scene based on one of the micro-hooks at the end of each tournament day, especially because you're kind of right that if players are reserved and unfamiliar with the setting they really need prompts or the actual tournament events are very uninspired roll-offs.

You may nonetheless wish to dig up the earlier Topaz Championships and some other modules from past editions for their sidebar micro-adventures. Examples: a gambler approaches the frontrunner duelist and asks him to throw a match. Another samurai has a food-eating contest with a PC at a peasant's hut and ends up vomiting disgracefully. A group of fellow Clan members approaches a PC and asks him to bait a guy who's been disrespectful into an alley for a beating. An uptight Lion leaves a family heirloom at an important man's house and shenanigans are the only way to get it back (also he was bawling like a baby in the woods about it). Many of the hooks are reasonably adaptable to settings outside of the Championship and could get your players interacting with NPCs and the setting. All four that I listed, for example, pose simple but fun questions of face, glory, and honor against personal relationships. Like the easy honorable answer to the gambler is to tell him to piss off, but besides the bundle of koku he's offering for a throw, he might pivot after a refusal and offer the PC a leg up through info on his opponent for no charge - is that too much for the PC's honor and pride (two concepts rarely unified in their needs)? And in the end he might make a friend or enemy of the gambler for future sessions.

I don't mean to tell you basic "how to GM" stuff by that as you have plenty of experience. I just mean to show how older modules could be a source of useful material for you. I hope you don't give up on the setting. It is possible (tragically, likely) the 5e Topaz Championship module is just poorly written. As for the mechanics, I think 1e, 3e, and 4e are all more or less fine but more complicated than the new one, and I'm not sure you're going to see any solution to the feeling of swingy-ness.

Again with the disclaimer I don't have the beginner box and am basing this on the beta test rules:

Unmasking's mechanical penalty is that you can't keep dice with strife if the strife would make you exceed composure. Therefore if you refuse to unmask and vent the strife, waiting instead for strife healing from other mechanics, you're going to suffer a success rate penalty. You can vent it out immediately, at your whim, and be immediately reset to zero, yes.

The idea is that when you vent it you immediately do something suboptimal. You don't have to go berserk in combat or scream obscenity at your debate opponent - they specifically ditched the old name "outburst" because beta players took that as a mandate - but you have to deviate in some way from what is the best, wisest course of action. So it can be chill like "this combat round I back away and defend instead of giving the shugenja the cover he needs to cast" or "I get too glib and drop a rude burn about the other guy's sickly daughter" as long as it gets the player to stop being a perfectly logical battle-and-honor robot. Outbursts are therefore supposed to spur role-play and deeper understanding of characters.

If your Scorpion feels he is unmasking too often be sure you are all aware of the non-unmask ways to shed strife. You get strife healing after every encounter and can heal strife with opportunity results in...ah...I think Water stance.

I feel like we may have had the order of operations wrong with unmasking. Also, I'm not sure if you can take more strife than your composure at once. The Scorpion character has 4 composure. He was rolling I think 5 dice for each of his attacks in battle so it wasn't uncommon for him to keep 4 strife on dice for a single attack. Can he keep dice with 5 strife total from one roll? Does he then immediately unmask and be able to make his next attack at TN1? Since there doesn't seem to be a mechanical penalty for unmasking(I'd expect a loss of honor but unless I missed it it doesn't seem like that's the case) it doesn't seem like there's a big penalty to unmasking so why not do it?

What kind of systems are the other editions? I assume they don't have custom dice, are they d20 system? d%?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Epi Lepi posted:

I feel like we may have had the order of operations wrong with unmasking. Also, I'm not sure if you can take more strife than your composure at once. The Scorpion character has 4 composure. He was rolling I think 5 dice for each of his attacks in battle so it wasn't uncommon for him to keep 4 strife on dice for a single attack. Can he keep dice with 5 strife total from one roll? Does he then immediately unmask and be able to make his next attack at TN1? Since there doesn't seem to be a mechanical penalty for unmasking(I'd expect a loss of honor but unless I missed it it doesn't seem like that's the case) it doesn't seem like there's a big penalty to unmasking so why not do it?

What kind of systems are the other editions? I assume they don't have custom dice, are they d20 system? d%?

Roll and keep d10, with exploding 10s. No custom dice or symbols, just standard 1-10. Roll dice equal to Skill+Ring, keep dice equal to Ring (modified by abilities and situation as expected)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Epi Lepi posted:

Well, again, I haven't seen the new rulebook (and FFG's previews are making me suspect that quite a few things are rather different from their beta forms), but as I recall you can never keep strife past composure. If you are at 3 of 4 strife capacity, and your dice show 2 strife, you can only keep one of the strife dice.

Unmasking is something that can happen immediately on reaching your strife limit, yes. There did not used to be any fixed penalty to it, though many forms of unmasking are reasonable causes for a loss of Honor or Glory. The rulebook used to and probably currently does state that mechanical penalties are in the GM's discretion. Flinching in combat when you were supposed to strike forward is a good way to lose Honor, as it represents faith in yourself and bushido. Being an rear end in court is a good way to lose Glory. And so on. But, yeah, it's entirely up to the GM.

The reason to not unmask, besides the GM-determined potential losses of Honor and Glory, is that you are compelled to do something unwise. Many RPG gamers, tragically especially in the L5R community, try to behave perfectly optimally at all times. Unmasking orders them to deviate from their plans. If your players do not consider that a penalty, well, that's probably a great thing! You'll all have more fun playing around and taking unmasking as the spur for role-playing it's supposed to be. Frankly unmasking was never intended to be something players should fight hard to avoid. If your players are not feeling threatened by unmasking, and you believe the game would be better if they did, start imposing those Honor and Glory penalties.

Incidentally (not to quibble with your details because I get your gist) it used to be impossible for a character to have more than 3 in a Ring at creation. Unless something changed in the new rules, your Scorpion should very rarely be keeping 4 strife on a single roll, if for no other reason than that he typically only keeps 3 dice. Also, Composure used to be equal to (Earth + Fire) x 2, so while 4 composure is possible, it's abnormally low. It is possible your Scorpion is unmasking a lot because he is an outlier, mechanically, and he will come under control quickly if he buys up his Earth and/or Fire.

Regarding past systems, yeah, they're D10-based like Kaza said. If you feel a distasteful swingy-ness with the current system the old exploding dice systems aren't likely to feel a lot better. They're also slower to play because they ask players to do a lot more arithmetic for their rolls.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 19, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

New RRG is up containing an errata for Hawk Tattoo limiting it to only characters you control. Weak, but not useless in monks.

Bigger change was that now the 2nd player no longer gets a free fate.

We also got a loot at all the prizes for Winter Court and boy and I sad I'm not going. There are some amazing prices up for grabs.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

What is the new product?

A) Multiplayer box set.
B) Shadowlands challenge expansion.
C) Mantis new Faction big box
D) None of the above!

The new product is a big box with a bunch of new cards for all factions!

Guest starring neutral Akodo Toturi.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ah, you beat me to it. This is easily the least interesting thing they could have done with the mystery product. It's new and different because...ah...it's even bigger than a Netrunner / Conquest deluxe expansion? Wow.

Well, decrying of the :effort: aside, I look forward to it. I'm very encouraged that they are focusing on duels and are working to make them a bigger part of the game. However, I am upset that we are seeing "variant Toturi" and not "Toturi Experienced." I loved the Experienced Character mechanic from the old days and really want to see it return. So flavorful.

lololololol that the (possible) Lion Thunder's left his clan *again* tho

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This seems like a way for them to just get around another dynasty pack a week release schedule since this box has about as many cards as 6 dynasty packs. I don't think it's a bad thing, I prefer this to their dynasty pack release schedule, and I'll be definitely picking it up.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I would also love to see the experienced mechanic pop up. Easily my favorite thing about the old game was seeing random dudes become bigger parts of the stories, change clan, and come in with a new more powerful version of their previous ability. If nothing else the new Toturi could have had 'Emerald Champion' bold trait'ed on him to show off that he's a man of the people or something.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

This seems like a way for them to just get around another dynasty pack a week release schedule since this box has about as many cards as 6 dynasty packs. I don't think it's a bad thing, I prefer this to their dynasty pack release schedule, and I'll be definitely picking it up.

I don't understand that. What is there to get around when release schedules are their prerogative anyway? They could go to a pack-a-month or pack-per-six-weeks like Netrunner did. You're right that this is just (most of) a pack cycle in one package but I figure it's to test whether casual players are more likely to buy lump boxes over piecemeal packs. I get the feeling that many aspects of Legend of the Five Rings's marketing / production are tests to feel out how to maximize LCG sales, seeing as it keeps refusing to do the same things Netrunner did.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't understand that. What is there to get around when release schedules are their prerogative anyway? They could go to a pack-a-month or pack-per-six-weeks like Netrunner did. You're right that this is just (most of) a pack cycle in one package but I figure it's to test whether casual players are more likely to buy lump boxes over piecemeal packs. I get the feeling that many aspects of Legend of the Five Rings's marketing / production are tests to feel out how to maximize LCG sales, seeing as it keeps refusing to do the same things Netrunner did.

I think one of the differences is in how they're handling the tournament release schedules as well. I think they want to avoid players asking "what will be legal for X" and having to cram play sessions into a week before a major tournament when the card pool isn't known. I'd presume that this deluxe+ box will drop a good month or so before they launch into these Elemental championships. Then we'd see maybe a few clan packs before Gencon then another major release before Worlds. Honestly, I think it's better they cycle these things on a February/September cycle than on a their current November/June one. I get the idea behind wanting to get product on the shelves before the holiday season but I think that's a better time to run discounts and bundles than try and get new product into the hands of a competitive game crowd.

I think there definitely was some feeling out with the 6 packs in 6 weeks to see how the crowd would react to a large dump of cards in a short period and they felt it was worth it since they did it again. I would kind of like to see them cut the cycle length down and going with a rotation of 4 boxes would be a lot better than a rotation of 6 packs; assuming the clan packs are evergreen though I don't think we've had any announcement on that. Given the success of the Netrunner 2.0 core I wouldn't be surprised to see them do that here too.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SuperKlaus posted:

I think the hurdles and uncertainties involved with shipping from China now have put a damper on that. They've had issues in the past and I don't think they want their starting up game to get stalled out because of the trade war or the other issues that have been going on in the last couple of years.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

I get the feeling that many aspects of Legend of the Five Rings's marketing / production are tests to feel out how to maximize LCG sales, seeing as it keeps refusing to do the same things Netrunner did.

I'm pretty sure in one of the interviews or AMAs they've said as much, or at least that they're willing to try new things for L5R's distribution.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Discord spoiler, bit expensive and a win more card but if Unicorn could get some recursion or attachment discount synergy this could be good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Is it necessarily win more? i can run a pud and any province alone, attach this, and bomb the province strength to zero. Maybe even makes it easier to swing at three attacks with HMT? Probably you just won't ever have enough honor to tank more than one province per game.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

PaybackJack posted:

Discord spoiler, bit expensive and a win more card but if Unicorn could get some recursion or attachment discount synergy this could be good.

This card is extremely bad. A 2 fate attachment is already dead on arrival, but it only gives +1/+1 and a super situational ability. If this were 0 fate, it could maybe see play

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

WerrWaaa posted:

Is it necessarily win more? i can run a pud and any province alone, attach this, and bomb the province strength to zero. Maybe even makes it easier to swing at three attacks with HMT? Probably you just won't ever have enough honor to tank more than one province per game.

Except Unicorn already excels at taking advantage of your opponent running light defense and not assigning to defend a province and they aren't winning now. This card doesn't really do anything Unicorn doesn't already do while also doing other things and as noted VVVV 2 fate for a +1/+1 is not good.

HMT requires that you win the battle which is a problem Unicorn is still having and this doesn't really address that.

Kaza42 posted:

This card is extremely bad. A 2 fate attachment is already dead on arrival, but it only gives +1/+1 and a super situational ability. If this were 0 fate, it could maybe see play

If you could cheat it into play, in a consistent fashion, I'd consider it. I do agree with you, but I try to be optimistic with potential coasters and hope that maybe when we see the rest of the set it will be worth it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is there anywhere doing a bundle of the Elemental cycle dynasty packs the same way there are bundles of the Imperial cycle around?

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

The RPG book is officially out now. I just wish there was a PDF version.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So I've got the RPG, and it looks like a lot of fun. Is there a decent dice roller for online play? Rerolling certain dice after deciding what to keep certainly complicates things.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Zarick posted:

The RPG book is officially out now. I just wish there was a PDF version.

Huh. I wonder why this would be? I was planning on buying them all as pdfs, and they seem to release non star wars stuff as pdfs I thought.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Huh. I wonder why this would be? I was planning on buying them all as pdfs, and they seem to release non star wars stuff as pdfs I thought.

They usually wait a couple weeks to a month before releasing the PDF's from what I remember. I could be wrong but we'll probably be getting PDFs in the near future.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Is there anywhere doing a bundle of the Elemental cycle dynasty packs the same way there are bundles of the Imperial cycle around?

I'll tell you as soon as I see one because I'm looking too.

Mystic Mongol posted:

So I've got the RPG, and it looks like a lot of fun.

I'll probably have my own copy imminently but if you could throw out some observations about what's different from beta that would be cool. I have been starting to think they mucked around with a lot of things.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I know there’s a roll20 die roller. It also has an Inbuilt character sheet with the 20 questions.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Mystic Mongol posted:

So I've got the RPG, and it looks like a lot of fun. Is there a decent dice roller for online play? Rerolling certain dice after deciding what to keep certainly complicates things.

They have an official dice app you can download. Costs money but I don't know how much off the top of my head.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They usually wait a couple weeks to a month before releasing the PDF's from what I remember. I could be wrong but we'll probably be getting PDFs in the near future.

Oh awesome, that is great if true. Delaying the pdf, while annoying, is at least a sane thing to do.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wonder when they're going to finally raffle off those free copies of the RPG book. I'll feel awfully silly if I've bought one before being so lucky as to win one.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
If I want to dip my toes into the card game, whats the best intro product for 2 players?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

If you just want to check out the mechanics, 1 core is all you need. My suggestion is buy a single core, proxy decks for 3 cores+ and go from there.

There's a lot of complaints that single core doesn't give you an accurate experience but I think there's enough there to let you decide if you like the game enough to go further; all you're really getting is more consistent decks which is definitely something but mechanically if you find a one core game boring, adding more cards isn't going to fix that.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Oh awesome, that is great if true. Delaying the pdf, while annoying, is at least a sane thing to do.

I think the only RPG books they don't release in PDF are the Star Wars ones due to the licensing agreement. They have all the other editions up on Drivethru so I don't know of any reason they wouldn't put the new edition up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

SuperKlaus posted:

I'll probably have my own copy imminently but if you could throw out some observations about what's different from beta that would be cool.

I never really dug into the beta, so I don't know. I'll share a few random things I noticed.

There's very little setting information. This is neat for me, who has several splatbooks full of crap from previous editions, but maybe less neat for players new to the setting. I don't think it says what year the RPG is set in anywhere--I guess simultanious with the LCG? Still, that leaves a lot of pages for spells and kata and powers, which are the fun parts of an RPG.

There's a "Title" system, where you spend exp on a super short class track to earn a title. It's a neat idea, but it really feels like a socket for splatbooks to plug into later--there's only one title in the rulebook, and it's missing the special power a title is supposed to grant when you fully level it.

There's zero support for ronin, imperials, minor clans, and non-samurai in the core book, which is odd when you consider it's basically 350 pages of rules and options.Actually there is support for being a peasant or a ronin, complete with unique school.

Most characters having a maximum of 1 void point feels at odds with the anxiety and adversity system, which revolves around giving void points for your character's weaknesses coming up. Either a PC spends their only point early on and doesn't have anything to fall back on in an emergency, or they don't spend any void and whenever their flaws come up, they get nothing from it. My takeaway is any character's first six exp should probably be spent raising void to 2.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 14, 2018