Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

SettingSun posted:

That's really on the barbarian if he's throwing around a weapon that will abandon him the second it's picked up by someone it likes better.

Rick posted:

Wave is a real jerk.

The Barbarian and DM really played it up, it was great.

Barb: "I thought we had something special!"
Wave: "This is just how it is, lad. I need someone with more punch behind my thrusts, who strikes true and understands my needs better."
Barb: "We fought a kraken together! We tore it apart like it was nothing!"
Wave: "And then when we ran into those demon-worshiping abominations, what did you do?"
Barb: "Is this about Biggie?"
Wave: "That... thing is a heretic of the worst kind, and its entire race should be wiped out from this world."
Barb: "Not Biggie, he's my best friend! He's a great guy, look at him!"
Biggie: *stares with creepy, unexpressive fish eyes*

Biggie, as I found out, was a Kuo-toa the Barbarian 'befriended' and had adopted as a sidekick.

Paladin: "I feel a little at a loss right now..."
Wave: "Don't mind the scaly fool, lass. We're a team now, you and I."
Barb: "Wave, you backstabbing son-of-a-bitch, I should've left you to rot inside that dungeon."
Paladin: "Maybe if you could explain the situation, I could-"
Barb: "Oh you shut up, you floozy."
Paladin: "...Excuse me?"
Barb: "Who waltzes into dungeon dressed like that, huh?"
Paladin: "They took away my equipment! It's-"
Barb: "Hah, yeah, I bet that's what you tell everyone! Earning other adventurers sympathy just so you can get your hands on their hard-earned magical artifacts, huh? Luring Wave away with your womanly guile and athletic physique?"
Paladin: "...over there, I think..."
Barb: "That's right, you think long and hard about what you did! Come Biggie, we don't need Wave anymore."
Biggie: *oblivious fish noises*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Control Volume posted:

Is there history behind this monsterenvy guy beyond just stanning for this game and being wrong all the time? Because right now you all look like a bunch of psychos.

quote:

A better analogy would be if someone walks into a championship tournament, says "GEE I THINK I MAY HAVE TRANSCENDED THE UNDERSTANDING OF SOME OF YOU GRANDMASTERS HERE, WANT TO JOIN MY NEW SCHOOL OF CHESS STRATEGY?", then loses by scholar's mate twice in the first round.

This person then refuses to leave his seat, claiming that he needs additional proof that the queen in f7 actually ontologically exists before he will admit defeat, and that the rules of the CHESS ESTABLISHMENT were unfairly biased against him by disallowing the possibility of his king being able to leapfrog pieces.

Then he pulls out an ancient shopping list from 1905 and claims that "1. Eggs" means 'The King', "2. Butter" means 'can', and "3. Milk" means 'leapfrog'. This is admissible evidence for his case because he has lived according to the dictates of this list since he was a teenager, and it has drastically improved his quality of life. When the referees tell him that this makes no loving sense, he drags them into a three hour debate over the precise meaning of the words 'makes', 'no', 'loving', and 'sense'.

When people point out that there is more than enough evidence to suggest his list is just a scrap of paper from some long-dead housewife's purse, he rather proudly points out how close-minded they are in dismissing outright the possibility that the list was in fact a secret coded message on the best way to live life, originally formulated by Atlanteans and passed down through the ages disguised as everyday documents. After all, if one starts with the presupposition that such a document exists, then it would be very fair to argue that it is indeed in the form of his shopping list.

Never mind that his previous interpretations of the list led to three convictions and time served for robbery, hate crimes, and murder. These were just unfortunate misinterpretations on his part of the list's true intentions, he says. The list itself is blameless. In fact, the Atlanteans deliberately obfuscated the true meaning of the list in this way, so that it would require multiple failed misinterpretations before one would happen across its TRUE meaning, and in doing so appreciate it all the more.

In fact, he does have some evidence to back up his claims. Why, just last week during his daily meditation on the list, he felt it telling him that something good was about to happen in his future. And yesterday, wouldn't you know it, he found a twenty dollar note on the sidewalk! Evidence of the list's prophetic powers if I ever saw one. And believe him, he has many more stories where that came from.

By now, the debate has splintered off into innumerable tangents, with the one man against literally every other player and referee present at the tournament. Finally, he graciously accepts the possibility of defeat in some of the myriad topics now being covered. OK, maybe the tallest player doesn't always get to go first. Fine, I will concede that there isn't much evidence to support my third-invisible-knight hypothesis. But that's all irrelevant. What he wants to concentrate on, and what nobody has yet been able to disprove, he adds, is the ability of the king to leapfrog over other pieces.

The argument drags on for weeks. Finally, one afternoon, the beet-faced referee exhausts his last reserves of decency and throws his arms up in frustration and despair. "YOU loving RETARD, HOW CAN YOU LAY CLAIM TO KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT CHESS STRATEGY WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN GRASP THE MOST BASIC RULES!?" He shouts, just as a new entrant walks through the door. "I'm sorry," replies the man calmly, "I simply cannot discuss the rules of chess with such an 'official' if you insist on using such strong and uncouth language. Please retract your insults or I will be forced to plug my ears whenever you say anything from now on."

Seeing only this last exchange, the new entrant pipes up. "He's right, you know. If he did something wrong, then you as the referee have every right to tell him he is so, but it should be done with a patient and thorough explanation of the details of his error. Hurling ridicule at him solves nothing and won't change anyone's mind."

The lazy eye of the retarded List-following, King-leapfrogging man twitches almost unnoticeably, as he cranes his head towards the source of this new voice. A welcoming smile cracks, inch by beaming inch, across his face. He licks his lips. He clears his throat.

"So glad to know decent people like you still value a polite discussion. Care for a game?"

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

It never gets old no matter how many times I read it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

That seems like a really bizarre analogy that isnt helping your case here

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If you get into a three hour debate with a [checking notes] ugly retard about the rules of chess or whatever, and this spirals into a deeply personal hatred over an extended length of time, it doesnt speak well to your own character

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
No, this thread is psychotic and grognardy. Do not worry about it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Don't throw your magic weapons, folks

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

mastershakeman posted:

Don't throw your magic weapons, folks
It hurts so much how true this is with thrown weapons in 5th ed.

Though this is taking (the lack of) 'Magical thrown weapons come back after you throw them' to a whole new level.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 11, 2018

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Section Z posted:

It hurts so much how true this is with thrown weapons in 5th ed.

Though this is taking 'Magical thrown weapons come back after you throw them' to a whole new level.

But would it count as a ranged weapon attack

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

ritorix posted:

But would it count as a ranged weapon attack

Do you mean a weapon attack with a ranged weapon or a ranged attack with a weapon?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
This thread is roughly equal parts useful critiques and discussion of the 5e rules and print campaigns, charop or DM advice, and poop. Just don’t touch the poop and you’re fine.

Had session one of Dragon Heist last night. I finally made a Drow shadow sorc PC to go faction agent with the handsome hat-wearing boy on the front cover. I’ll probably dip hexblade 2/3 after getting fireball. We’re going straight into the undermountain book after and it’s weird thinking this char might actually make it to 20.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Are you playing with the sunlight sensitivity rules for drow? That’s been a stopping block for me, but I can’t figure an angle to pitch to the DM to handwave it away other than “c’mon man, basically all of Breagan D’Aerthe don’t suffer it!”

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Kaysette posted:

This thread is roughly equal parts useful critiques and discussion of the 5e rules and print campaigns, charop or DM advice, and poop. Just don’t touch the poop and you’re fine.

Had session one of Dragon Heist last night. I finally made a Drow shadow sorc PC to go faction agent with the handsome hat-wearing boy on the front cover. I’ll probably dip hexblade 2/3 after getting fireball. We’re going straight into the undermountain book after and it’s weird thinking this char might actually make it to 20.

Somewhere, your DM is unconsciously emitting the Jabba chortle

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah I just handwave Drow sunlight sensitivity because I'll be damned if my players will be penalized for playing their Hot Topic dreams to their fullest.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

koreban posted:

Are you playing with the sunlight sensitivity rules for drow? That’s been a stopping block for me, but I can’t figure an angle to pitch to the DM to handwave it away other than “c’mon man, basically all of Breagan D’Aerthe don’t suffer it!”

It’s AL so technically yes. I should probably talk to him about this...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Imagined posted:

Then why not just use the normal rules and raise the DC instead of inventing a whole new mechanic?

It's what I would have done. But I did not make the adventure. It's like the only time that comes up so it's kind of weird.

koreban posted:

Well if he goes to Undermountain there is no need to worry. Cause he will never be in the daylight. So long as you stay in doors or go out at night you never really have to worry about Sunlight Sensitivity.

Though if you really want to ignore it, I would say go with the (What I believe to be unofficial) Surface Drow. Which is just a Drow without Sunlight Sensitivity, but only 60ft of Darkvision.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 11, 2018

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Put on sunglasses, done.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Glagha posted:

Put on sunglasses, done.

https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/842555496900964353

Not an official ruling but I'd rather just roll with the character having a weakness than try to get around it.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I agree with Perkins, the mask is a cool idea. It's interesting to imagine a group of surface-dwelling drow being dressed, in essence, like plague doctors with tinted lenses instead of the hooked beak.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CeallaSo posted:

I agree with Perkins, the mask is a cool idea. It's interesting to imagine a group of surface-dwelling drow being dressed, in essence, like plague doctors with tinted lenses instead of the hooked beak.

Yeah, I love that, and it makes infiltrating/impersonating them a nice potential mission

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I am actually surprised at Perkins, I thought he was better than most of the people at WotC. Perhaps 5e doesn't have such an item, but there were Smoked Glasses in previous editions that negated the Sunlight Sensitivity. Which suggests that it was not an allergic reaction at all.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

Put on sunglasses, done.

The way sunlight sensitivity reads, if the player character *or* the creature it targets is in full sunlight, you’re at disadvantage.

Undermountain obviously wouldn’t be an issue, but a good chunk of W:DH is in the city proper, so roaming around town during the day is probably going to be a thing.

We could narratively choose to pursue activities at night, which is another solution to the issue.

It’s less problematic being a city campaign adventure than your standard roaming the countryside jaunts.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ryuujin posted:

I am actually surprised at Perkins, I thought he was better than most of the people at WotC. Perhaps 5e doesn't have such an item, but there were Smoked Glasses in previous editions that negated the Sunlight Sensitivity. Which suggests that it was not an allergic reaction at all.

Maybe drow are different in 5e? If you can't do a cool idea because they did it differently 10 years ago, isn't that a much bigger problem than a lack of consistency?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The idea of a plague doctor masked drow sounds awesome and I might play one in my next campaign. At worst, it sounds like a wicked cool story hook.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I had them wear, like, baggier beekeeping uniforms with full facemasks in the drow intelligence agency oneshot I did.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The mask idea is cool, a shame it came from WotC's refusal to understand that drow are a popular race for aesthetic reasons and their need to punish players who want to play as them.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

ProfessorCirno posted:

The mask idea is cool, a shame it came from WotC's refusal to understand that drow are a popular race for aesthetic reasons and their need to punish players who want to play as them.

But Professor, you don't understand, we have to maintain the sanctity of the canon. If we make it so that drow don't eat poo poo when the lights are on today, where will we be tomorrow? Dwarves without beards? Campaigns that feature neither a dungeon NOR a dragon?

CeallaSo fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 12, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MEEEEAAAAARRRRLLLLSSSSS :argh:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I had them wear, like, baggier beekeeping uniforms with full facemasks in the drow intelligence agency oneshot I did.

They should all dress like the Foot Clan in the first TMNT movie, with their little screen bubbles

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sebmojo posted:

If you can't do a cool idea because they did it differently 10 years ago, isn't that a much bigger problem than a lack of consistency?

this is 5e's biggest problem in a nutshell, yes

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean I'm all for characters having difficulties and weaknesses but when a game presents a character option in the primary player facing book with the drawback "you suck hard in like 50% of situations you'll find yourself in" without much gain you've made a mistake. Also if sunlight sensitivity is more than just vision, why does it only effect perception and attacks? I say either ignore it, just roleplay it as sunlight being uncomfortable rather than being to penalize someone for the crime of playing a nonstandard character, or just make the penalty that maybe they can't benefit from rest without shade because they're in a constantly stressful situation that prevents recovery. I dunno, sunlight sensitivity sucks.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Azhais posted:

They should all dress like the Foot Clan in the first TMNT movie, with their little screen bubbles

Don't you sully this thread with your legitimately good ideas

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Remove sunlight sensitivity. Reduce drow darkvision to 60 feet. Remove other instances of darkvision. Optionally ban drow.

There I fixed it. If you wanna go somewhere dark, bring a torch.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Glagha posted:

I dunno, sunlight sensitivity sucks.

Yeah, I wouldn’t have gone Drow if this was an overland campaign but I know this dude will be under a mountain for the majority of his life so I won’t worry about it too much. I agree that it’s lovely design for only one PHB race to have a massive “gently caress you” without all that much benefit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Remove sunlight sensitivity. Reduce drow darkvision to 60 feet. Remove other instances of darkvision. Optionally ban drow.

There I fixed it.

:hmmyes:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If you have to house rule every problem like that, why not just throw out your entire 5e library, stop playing dnd at all that night, and have a gay orgy with your buds?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Control Volume posted:

If you have to house rule every problem like that, why not just throw out your entire 5e library, stop playing dnd at all that night, and have a gay orgy with your buds?

I've never had difficulty fitting a gay orgy into the night while still house ruling everything though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Drizzt clearly paid someone off so he can be a more special boy again and cut down on PC Drow.

At least, that's how it comes across seeing GMs who never bother with sunlight weakness when it's ENEMY Drow, but are sure to immediately warn you they will run that weakness into the ground if you mention the idea of playing one yourself.

That said?

Still not as stupid as "Playable Race Kobolds do not have Darkvision. Why? Uh... Because we feel Darkvision is a Big Deal (until we put out a half dozen more darkvision races later)" in 4th ed.

Sunlight weakness is a lore nerd stupid reason. But "gently caress you, your Kobold can't see in the dark." official ruling is a whole other brand of crazy when it comes to racial vision types. (They eventually patched it!... At the cost of gutting shifty :rolleyes: So back to ignoring official kobold rules)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 11, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I've never had difficulty fitting a gay orgy into the night while still house ruling everything though.

Well gee golly maybe some people dont want to have house rule every stupid thing in the systems they play before having a wild kinky romp with their friends

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Control Volume posted:

haha, it's funny because not playing d&d and gay sex are both ridiculous inconceivable concepts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Control Volume posted:

Maybe I will