Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Killing my soldiers by drowning to own the amber blocks on the bub slides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Has the battalion completed hurricane awareness training?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I completed mine at Pat O’Briens in San Antonio

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I mean assuming no flooding I might take my chances inside an uparmored HMMWV or an MRAP vs a lovely building. Obviously both are terrible choices.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Full battle rattle, two PT belts, full camelbaks and at least 1 motivational speech from Smajjy will keep all soldiers safe

hooooooooaa

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

spacetoaster posted:

The biggest thing we're wondering about is how are we going to get all this equipment to everyone in the Army. That's going to be a massive undertaking.

Also, how are people who aren't on a big base in the USA going to take this thing? What about deployed troops? Etc, etc.

One good thing about the current APFT is you can do it anywhere/anytime with no special equipment. This new thing requires medicine balls, kettle bells, deadlift bars/weights, a sled, and a pull up bar.

It's gonna take like hours to administer too

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ashmole posted:

It's gonna take like hours to administer too

You must complete the entire thing in 50 minutes.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I posted in the wrong thread because reading is for suckers, but there's no way this thing actually gets implemented in its current form. I mean, it might still because Army being Army, but I highly doubt it. There's a bunch of people at DHA / OASD(HA) / OUSD(P&R) that still have to sign off on it and this poo poo is insanity.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vasudus posted:

I posted in the wrong thread because reading is for suckers, but there's no way this thing actually gets implemented in its current form. I mean, it might still because Army being Army, but I highly doubt it. There's a bunch of people at DHA / OASD(HA) / OUSD(P&R) that still have to sign off on it and this poo poo is insanity.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

You must complete the entire thing in 50 minutes.

The number of people taking gamey/tactical minimum scores on various events will be through the roof, if implemented.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
There's not gonna be a lot of individuals who max out all the events.

Not that that's important, who gives a rats rear end about the 2 mile.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

not caring here posted:

There's not gonna be a lot of individuals who max out all the events.

Not that that's important, who gives a rats rear end about the 2 mile.

I guess that means there will be lots of remedial pt to do

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

This is crazy, but maybe we should just have a physical fitness test that just makes sure people in the Army meet a minimum standard for flexibility/mobility/strength. And then units should have extensive physical training programs if that's what they need to accomplish their mission.

We tried having master fitness trainers one time, but it didn't get emphasized by command and people didn't give them the authority/responsibility of creating/supervising PT programs at units.

What we really need to do is throw medicine balls backwards over our heads to simulate throwing rocks off of fortress walls on the huns I guess. :downs:

*ed8t* I'm seriously waiting to see some private just smash his face in when he doesn't get the movement right for the power throw.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Lol I’m going to PSYOP Selection next week at Bragg, can’t wait to drown

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Thump! posted:

Lol I’m going to PSYOP Selection next week at Bragg, can’t wait to drown

PSYOP looks like a lot of fun.

Unless you're an officer, then it doesn't look like fun.

So have fun!! *unless you're an officer*

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The good news is the rain will wash the vomit off.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

i'm sure psyops does interesting stuff but whenever they got attached to us at ntc they just chilled out because we didn't know what to do with them

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Ashmole posted:

i'm sure psyops does interesting stuff but whenever they got attached to us at ntc they just chilled out because we didn't know what to do with them

Convoy or perimeter duty for extra troll.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
God I'm glad that I'm broken and the only time I went to NTC they just had me driving people to and from the airports in Vegas and LA. Spending 8 hours a day in A/C, listening to music, and eating In and Out is way better than cooking to death in the desert.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Ashmole posted:

Can’t be worse than being a dumb scout

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Thump! posted:

Can’t be worse than being a dumb scout

"go sit on a screen for 8 days"
"hey we found the enemy assembly area"
"you can't kill them because you'll ruin the exercise"
fun times

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Nice and hot piss posted:

PSYOP looks like a lot of fun.

Unless you're an officer, then it doesn't look like fun.

So have fun!! *unless you're an officer*

I’m a PSYOP officer and just finished my mandatory time. Being a CPT is actually way more fun than being a E-5 or E-6 in PYSOP. Except for the tactical side of the house, almost none of the missions have junior NCOs on them. Most of the regional MISTs are just a CPT and a SNCO with a few being teams with E6 or E7s. Unless you are a major gently caress up, enjoy two “deployments” to an embassy with per diem.

If you have a tactical background of any kind, look forward to going to a tactical company, and PM me since that’s what I did and its basically just being support for an SF Group, which can be amazing or awful depending on how well you can work with SF dudes.

This all falls to poo poo after you make MAJ and I’m already lining up my next job once I finish graduate school...

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The whole O-2 P is what would get me since I was a scummy 19D, and I think the PSYOP reserves are the same where they won't take on a fresh boot LT to claim the ranks of a PSYOP officer.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Reserves actually are hurting so bad that they will take O2s. It’s a completely different beast than Active duty. They and CA have a joint command where as AD falls under USASOC. Huge discrepancies between training and funding.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I’m a PSYOP officer and just finished my mandatory time. Being a CPT is actually way more fun than being a E-5 or E-6 in PYSOP. Except for the tactical side of the house, almost none of the missions have junior NCOs on them. Most of the regional MISTs are just a CPT and a SNCO with a few being teams with E6 or E7s. Unless you are a major gently caress up, enjoy two “deployments” to an embassy with per diem.

If you have a tactical background of any kind, look forward to going to a tactical company, and PM me since that’s what I did and its basically just being support for an SF Group, which can be amazing or awful depending on how well you can work with SF dudes.

This all falls to poo poo after you make MAJ and I’m already lining up my next job once I finish graduate school...

I’ve been a 19D for over a year now, and did six years in the USMC reserve before coming over. So I guess tactical it is as an E5? I’ll shoot you a PM tomorrow with some questions

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Ashmole posted:

"go sit on a screen for 8 days"
"hey we found the enemy assembly area"
"you can't kill them because you'll ruin the exercise"
fun times
*takes off kit to take a dump*

Bang, you're dead your whole team is dead.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Thump! posted:

I’ve been a 19D for over a year now, and did six years in the USMC reserve before coming over. So I guess tactical it is as an E5? I’ll shoot you a PM tomorrow with some questions

Sure no problem. If you’re an E5 it’s honestly not bad. Unless you prefer to not deploy then a regional BN would be good. Either way you’ll have the opportunity for schools outside the typical “Army” stuff.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Naked Bear posted:

*takes off kit to take a dump*

Bang, you're dead your whole team is dead.

My Bradley went through 5 different MILES sets. It kept randomly saying it got hit by a 240mm mortar in direct fire mode. This usually resulted in our company having to move. It also meant I got to practice jump drills a lot. After the 4th time I chewed out an OC saying my crew was getting zero training because they were dead all the time.

He personally made sure the civilian guys elevated my issue and it got resolved. A good OC :unsmith:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I don't understand how some commanders are so ignorant on CSDP or how a FLIPL works.

I'm sure a commander telling a soldier he's being found liable in a FLIPL and he is not allowed to go to Legal will end well for this commander. That's in another BN though, not mine.

S4 or AS4 should be a mandatory experience for officers, might cut down on some of the stupid poo poo CO and BN commanders do/ask for because they have no idea what the gently caress they're talking about or asking for. "Sir, what your asking for is impossible and/or illegal. It's not going to happen.
"Did you exhaust all your resources???? Who do I need to call??" "Sir Mike over at Bubba's doesn't care that you're a LTC."

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Man, when people in the army thought they had any sort of real sway over civilian poo poo I wanted to go nuts.

My unit had some of us drive from Polk to a Bragg in tmp vans and gave a safety brief to drive safe and so on, so I kept driving the speed limit and getting left behind. I asked if I was being ordered to break the law and it kinda dropped but some dumbass was like
"but we're in a convoy!!" like the police wouldn't give a poo poo, and like lol if you think I wouldn't be hung to dry if I was given a ticket

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
But like 99%of the reason I drove the speed limit was to be a petty rear end in a top hat but drat it i was right

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

S4 or AS4 should be a mandatory experience for officers, might cut down on some of the stupid poo poo CO and BN commanders do/ask for because they have no idea what the gently caress they're talking about or asking for.

Fixing problems from your personal situation through Army-wide top-down mandated mandatory training that next to no one needs and absolutely no one wants? Doing so largely out of personal frustration And suffering?

Must Promote Ahead of Peers.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Speaking of FLIPLs I got a call Tuesday about one started on my first company. Apparently the shortages were 70k instead of 40k that we, and the two commanders previously said they were. We used GSSC-A to get the prices on shortages.

The commander behind me didn’t change the numbers from me, and now that he is doing his it popped up. Pretty sure that’s on PBO since they signed off on it, but it’s going to be annoying for sure.

Instead of saying “huh maybe this was an error in the system from when we moved from PBUSE to GSSC-A,” they are trying to say I screwed something up. I’m going to be civil but I assume it may turn scorched earth. I think they forget I held 5 property books for the unit over the course of 3 years and have scans of every memo saying the PBO looked at and confirmed my numbers.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

The commander behind me didn’t change the numbers from me, and now that he is doing his it popped up. Pretty sure that’s on PBO since they signed off on it, but it’s going to be annoying for sure.

Ding ding ding.

This is possibly either the current signed commander or PBO or both reaching out and hoping someone will stupidly admit they’re at fault or caused it.

There’s a possibility they’re trying to help out the current guy by showing past reasonable people thought it was not the higher cost of shortages, but be wary.

I’ve been party to the latter to help a PL out of a jam when the last three PLs plus two commanders didn’t catch an issue with an incorrect and expensive piece of COEI. But I’ve also seen the former.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Yeah. I have all the documents to show it was the same cost, and nothing new is missing. The current commander who is switching out actually used a SOF system to calculate the shortage which downgraded the cost of the items even more. I think he has the the 40k I said down to 17k.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I was in command during four property clusterfucks:

-Absorbed a unit and its equipment into mine
-A second proposed(!) unit merge that was cancelled still resulted in all their property showing up on my books and we had to manually sort it out.
-GCSS-A rollout during change of command, and it wiped serial numbers and BII/COEI from something like 75% of the equipment due to a glitch
-Contract-supported computers added to all commanders’ books but the contractors kept moving computers at will causing aeveral units in one bde alone to go through FLIPLs just from that alone

Two of these took place just 30-60 days before change of command.

Ultimately survived all of it with the loss of one item out of several thousand on my books to the tune of about $100. Signed that paper with relief and glee!

We had to start an intervention because my supply NCO was working so hard that I feared for his physical/mental wellbeing and his wife was reasonably pissed that he’d end up working so long that he couldn’t even drive himself home safely.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
When I held property in Afghanistan the contract we used switched over and I got to learn the hard way how much poo poo the contractors were buying and just charging the Army since it had to go on my hand receipt while the contracts flipped. I spent 4 weeks just traveling around Afghanistan finding equipment and sending it back to BAH.

They had bought 9 NTVs when literally none of the contractor left any fob. They bought 4 simply so they didn’t have to walk the quarter mile across HKIA to their offices from the housing. We also had a single laptop, flip phone, and camera equipment at every provincial offsite. A non trivial amount of that equipment as in some Afghani employees residence and my 92Y and I had to go find it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Basically everything from our property book was being flown back to the states or handed in to DRMO when we left, with the exception of some construction equipment. Our company XO got to run around the country finding connexes and vehicles that had long ago been loaned to units going to different FOBs and COPs.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

mods changed my name posted:

Man, when people in the army thought they had any sort of real sway over civilian poo poo I wanted to go nuts.

My unit had some of us drive from Polk to a Bragg in tmp vans and gave a safety brief to drive safe and so on, so I kept driving the speed limit and getting left behind. I asked if I was being ordered to break the law and it kinda dropped but some dumbass was like
"but we're in a convoy!!" like the police wouldn't give a poo poo, and like lol if you think I wouldn't be hung to dry if I was given a ticket
Same, but in Korea and carrying ammo. I didn't want to be the next poor sap on a blotter, but what do you expect when Command doesn't care about risk management anyways?

I factored that into all the driver's training I gave because I'm sure everyone on the peninsula were getting similar messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Mustang posted:

I don't understand how some commanders are so ignorant on CSDP or how a FLIPL works.

I'm sure a commander telling a soldier he's being found liable in a FLIPL and he is not allowed to go to Legal will end well for this commander. That's in another BN though, not mine.

S4 or AS4 should be a mandatory experience for officers, might cut down on some of the stupid poo poo CO and BN commanders do/ask for because they have no idea what the gently caress they're talking about or asking for. "Sir, what your asking for is impossible and/or illegal. It's not going to happen.
"Did you exhaust all your resources???? Who do I need to call??" "Sir Mike over at Bubba's doesn't care that you're a LTC."

the commander in my unit who is getting fired is being fired over property ignorance (among other things but this was the biggest thing) so i agree with you there