Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I want to see someone seek specific performance following breach of a BDSM contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Maybe I should set up a kangaroo BDSM court for all of these people to sue each other. Can treat it as a form of binding arbitration ala Judge Judy.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Maybe I should set up a kangaroo BDSM court for all of these people to sue each other. Can treat it as a form of binding arbitration ala Judge Judy.

Judge Booty?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Mr. Nice! posted:

Emphasize the "binding" and you're halfway there.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

This might be your big break, start workshoping titles and the intro sequence.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Late to a session? That's a paddlin'
Missing your catsuit? That's a paddlin'
Refuse to clean your dom's boots with your tongue? Best believe that's a paddlin'

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Eminent Domain posted:

This might be your big break, start workshoping titles and the intro sequence.

Night Court

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Goon project.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

I want to see someone seek specific performance following breach of a BDSM contract.

In a 5-4 decision, divided along incel/sex-haver lines...

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

yronic heroism posted:

In a 5-4 decision, divided along incel/sex-haver lines...

5-4 split identical to the typical ideological lines.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

5-4 split identical to the typical ideological lines.

Was heavily implied.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Hello law goons, it's been a long time.

Any tips on interviewing for an in house position?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
There’s a 2-3 page discussion on in-house a few pages back. Might be a good start.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Bushido Brown posted:

Any tips on interviewing

They already know who they want to hire. Just be sure to send a gracious follow-up email noting their probable ethnicity.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Bushido Brown posted:

Offer to sign an additional Sub contract if they offer you the position

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Offer to sign an additional Sub contract if they offer you the position

Lol

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Late to a session? That's a paddlin'
Missing your catsuit? That's a paddlin'
Refuse to clean your dom's boots with your tongue? Best believe that's a paddlin'

Maybe they forgot to do all those things cause they wanted to be paddled. Maybe the better punishment is to send them home.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Bushido Brown posted:

Do you know any tricks for making sure the blood doesn't drain from your face when they tell you about compensation? We interviewed an attorney coming from big law on Monday and she went white as a sheet when she heard the starting salary. Heh.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

You couldn't make anything enforceable, but you could definitely make consent agreements that help disclaim you from liability due to injuries suffered during a session.

That would be a somewhat dubious proposition over here, since there's a hard limit on certain areas of personal injury - it used to be the case that boxing was de facto outlawed because you couldn't consent to being knocked unconscious (which is an automatic "severe bodily harm" crime, 4-6 years). They changed that in 2014 so now you can consent to anything that won't leave permanent injury or do grievous bodily harm (which unfortunately might be anything that would cause you sick leave for any period exceeding 14 days, which isn't all that high a bar to clear). This means that consent might but probably won't remove (but might reduce) liability, and would do nothing to prevent criminal liability in the case of permanent injury or grievous bodily harm.

JohnCompany posted:

Emphasize the "binding" and you're halfway there.

I imagine you could only get away with that poo poo in like... Nevada? That's the hosed up one, right? No I mean in the mostly neutral sense, not in the Florida sense.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Do you know any tricks for making sure the blood doesn't drain from your face when they tell you about compensation? We interviewed an attorney coming from big law on Monday and she went white as a sheet when she heard the starting salary. Heh.

How... how much was it?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Mr. Nice! posted:

You couldn't make anything enforceable, but you could definitely make consent agreements that help disclaim you from liability due to injuries suffered during a session.

What’s the equivalent of R v Brown in the US?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Beefeater1980 posted:

What’s the equivalent of R v Brown in the US?

Had to look it up. I’m not certain that there is one. Bedroom stuff is typically protected by incorporating the unwritten privacy rights in the bill of rights against the states via the 14th. Although I’m not sure of a specific case, Lawrence v Texas is probably the closest. That’s a 2003 case that finally struck down a bunch of various state anti-sodomy laws. Aka just wait a couple of years for justice Kavanaugh to pen the decision overturning griswold v connecticut and anything other than straight sex through a hole in a sheet will be unlawful.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Things I learned today: Attorney is not spelled "attourney" and I'm neither, I'm an Advocate. Says so on wikipedia.

I always thought I had the whole english thing well in hand, but it's apparent that I still have quite a few blind spots. Motherfucker.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I had my first ever panic attack last night dealing with career & money stress, I don't know how people who deal with this commonly get through their days

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mastershakeman posted:

I had my first ever panic attack last night dealing with career & money stress, I don't know how people who deal with this commonly get through their days

I spent about four hours just laying in bed last night unable to sleep for similar reasons. I have to get more work product to actually present to potential employers to show I'm not an idiot. I just don't know that they'll actually be able to do that. I only have the veteran's clinic right now. Every other lawyer that gets a case there already has their own established practice or works for someone that provides resources/insurance coverage for pro bono work. I don't and do not have the funds to start up my own practice and really do not desire that in the first place.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Things I learned today: Attorney is not spelled "attourney" and I'm neither, I'm an Advocate. Says so on wikipedia.

I always thought I had the whole english thing well in hand, but it's apparent that I still have quite a few blind spots. Motherfucker.

Lol if you think there's any loving point in trying to translate legal terms through anything more than coming up with arbitrary conventions

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

mastershakeman posted:

Counterpoint: they don’t.

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1039727304518328320

This man is paid to be a lawyer too.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lote posted:

lol

I have a case where my opponent filed an interlocutory appeal, but (among other things) forgot to include the lower court's order setting a return date. This is a fatal mistake and the court of appeal summarily rejected his application (after the deadline of course) without giving him a grace period to re-file (he did get one judge who disagreed and would have cut him some slack on this, though).

So he tried to get a new return date from the trial court, who obliged him, and filed a second appeal. I argued that the deadline had passed and no extension was asked for or granted, so the brief was untimely. Also he forgot to include in his appellate record the pleading that his interlocutory appeal addressed (lmao). The court of appeal dismissed his writ and this time the one judge who would have cut him slack above signed off.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
That Twitter thread is everything I hate about lawyers and that's not even talking about appellant's counsel inability to file properly.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lote posted:

coffee hasn't hit yet, what's so hosed up about this

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

evilweasel posted:

That's literally the first page. No cover page, no TOC, no table of authorities, etc.

Also it was apparently due on 9/11(after already receiving an extension) and was filed 90 seconds late

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

I spent about four hours just laying in bed last night unable to sleep for similar reasons. I have to get more work product to actually present to potential employers to show I'm not an idiot. I just don't know that they'll actually be able to do that. I only have the veteran's clinic right now. Every other lawyer that gets a case there already has their own established practice or works for someone that provides resources/insurance coverage for pro bono work. I don't and do not have the funds to start up my own practice and really do not desire that in the first place.

That sucks. My one and only redeeming thing is I sleep incredibly well. I fall asleep easily all the time no matter where. I do wake up easily so when the kid cries I'm the one to go help him but id rather have that than insomnia

And when I'm in a bad mental place I just get mad seeing lovely lawyers filing stuff and I can't keep my poo poo together despite knowing I'm better than them

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Wait until you have to drum up and maintain the source of the money that pays you and all the people who work for you.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Wait until you have to drum up and maintain the source of the money that pays you and all the people who work for you.

I'l be interviewing with a solo for a job I don't want but feel pressured to take and am 100% sure that I'll be told all about this and how thats so hard and that's why the position will pay half of what I make right now but The Experience is Invaluable

Actually instead of woe is me, what's the best substance to relax with when I've had high blood pressure for years (brought on during my period where I was in great shape and working out a ton on gymnastics and using a substance I thought was safe until it got banned by the fda, woops) ? Beer? Whiskey? Weed?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That's literally the first page. No cover page, no TOC, no table of authorities, etc.

Also it was apparently due on 9/11(after already receiving an extension) and was filed 90 seconds late

no worries, he fixed it at 4AM without asking anyone

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1039861705398992897

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Ugg. Our rear end in a top hat boss tweeted out that he wasn't giving out raises this year. Hopefully the people who actually make that decision won't listen to him and give us our modest 1.5% or whatever it is.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

eke out posted:

no worries, he fixed it at 4AM without asking anyone

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1039861705398992897

Why not just go ahead and ask for a four hour extension and leave to amend?

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

mastershakeman posted:

By being too fearful to pull the trigger on a suicide attempt? Also, drugs.

evilweasel posted:

I was also confused. Guess it speaks to our superior competence that we can’t even conceive of filing a brief without the cover page, TOC, etc. :hfive:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

oh

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha now i get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

mastershakeman posted:

Actually instead of woe is me, what's the best substance to relax with when I've had high blood pressure for years (brought on during my period where I was in great shape and working out a ton on gymnastics and using a substance I thought was safe until it got banned by the fda, woops) ? Beer? Whiskey? Weed?

Escitalopram.