Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
ryan hall has 3 dvd's sets on "triangles"
Arm Triangles, Master the Triangle, and Triangle (No Gi)
i've watched the first two they are all good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel like this has been every experience for me with guys who profess to do "small circle" jiu jitsu

What's small circle?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

willie_dee posted:

What's small circle?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Circle_JuJitsu

From what I can read it's more focused on stand up stuff. Also, a lot of people seem to disparage it because they don't do any "rolling" or ground fighting.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

spacetoaster posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Circle_JuJitsu

From what I can read it's more focused on stand up stuff. Also, a lot of people seem to disparage it because they don't do any "rolling" or ground fighting.

Everytime I have tried it it's been a bunch of "pretend the guy throws a straight punch like from a text book and then do this" which is ok, but every guy I have ever known who does it talks about how they use it in street fights all the time

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Took a sick day today due to anxiety and was able to make the day class. My anxiety was relieved and my neck can't move now.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

heeebrew posted:

Took a sick day today due to anxiety and was able to make the day class. My anxiety was relieved and my neck can't move now.

Sounds like the effects of the anxiety meds I took for a while in college.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Everytime I have tried it it's been a bunch of "pretend the guy throws a straight punch like from a text book and then do this" which is ok, but every guy I have ever known who does it talks about how they use it in street fights all the time

Wally Jay was all over the martial arts magazines back in the day.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Wally Jay was all over the martial arts magazines back in the day.

Well yeah but so was George Dillman

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Trying to get my training hours up. Before I was doing 2-3.5 hours a week. Now I'm trying to hit 6 hours a week.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Sounds like Eddie Cummings has officially left RGA for Unity. Yuns, spill the details!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Would a white belt with a few months experience get any value from the Ryan Hall Triangle DVDs? Or are they better for advanced people.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I found Ryan Hall dvd's awesome for explaining and breaking down stuff, it was a while before my body would cooperate with my brain on alot of it but I'm old and not athletic.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Would a white belt with a few months experience get any value from the Ryan Hall Triangle DVDs? Or are they better for advanced people.

No I think they are worth watching even if you miss some stuff.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

old.flv posted:

Sounds like Eddie Cummings has officially left RGA for Unity. Yuns, spill the details!
Eddie and I have known each other for a long time since he started at Renzos but we haven't seen each other much since he stopped training in John's class. I haven't spoken to him in quite a while so I'm not privy to any inside information. I always expected him to open his own school under our banner but don't know what to make of the move to Unity. I certainly wish him the best and will hopefully see him soon.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SHOAH NUFF posted:

You'll probably glaze over and not appreciate 95% of the stuff, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't watch it.

There's only two details I think I got from those DVDs: maintain the angle, and press with the leg instead of squeezing the thighs. These two things just clicked with me, and my triangles really improved from there.

A single move that you like and can use would make those hours of watching well spent.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Count Roland posted:

There's only two details I think I got from those DVDs: maintain the angle, and press with the leg instead of squeezing the thighs. These two things just clicked with me, and my triangles really improved from there.

A single move that you like and can use would make those hours of watching well spent.

Ding ding ding! Everything else is just countering the resistance they are giving you to get to that finish.

It's really interesting to have something in your arsenal which you are confident in using. And having a good understanding of why a submission does what it does and how you get there is a tremendous thing.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Ding ding ding! Everything else is just countering the resistance they are giving you to get to that finish.

It's really interesting to have something in your arsenal which you are confident in using. And having a good understanding of why a submission does what it does and how you get there is a tremendous thing.

Yeah. I don't know if I got this from the DVD, I think instead it was training, then the DVD, then getting the move on people repeatedly.

Its a big difference from remembering things rote. "Pull the arm across" is only so useful. Understanding that the triangle is a head and arm choke, and the reason you put the arm across is to situate the shoulder against your opponent's neck, so that when the squeeze comes your leg presses against one side of the neck and the shoulder the other.

This understanding the principal allows for a lot of creativity, and I feel is simpler to remember than the rote method. The principal can be applied to a whole slew of different positions, any involving head and arm chokes. It allows for on-the-fly adjustments and the development of personal variations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

IIrc, if you do the triangle right you don't even have to pull the arm across the belly.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I find it easier when it’s not across the belly, when they frame the arm on you?In that situation you just rotate your locking leg until it’s parallel with your choking leg. So your feet are pointing in almost the same direction? That always gives me a really fast finish.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Same direction? Facing ears or facing feet?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Like this:

In this picture, that choke is 100% on, while the triangle isn't locked, and the guy taps a second after this screenshot. The left thigh is pulling the shoulder into the neck, and the two shins are parallel.

In this one, the triangle is locked, and the more he rotates his left foot outwards, the more his left thigh is going to force the shoulder into the neck. I find this finish works incredibly well if the arm isn't across the body.

It's from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grwbdB_6_ys

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Interesting, thanks.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Like this:

In this picture, that choke is 100% on, while the triangle isn't locked, and the guy taps a second after this screenshot. The left thigh is pulling the shoulder into the neck, and the two shins are parallel.

In this one, the triangle is locked, and the more he rotates his left foot outwards, the more his left thigh is going to force the shoulder into the neck. I find this finish works incredibly well if the arm isn't across the body.

It's from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grwbdB_6_ys

I find most of my problems stem from a small gap that forms (if we are using the screencap above as an example) from the right leg. If I really eliminate that gap right from the getgo then my triangles are almost always good.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have exactly the same problem. It seems to happen on the entry, and I usually can’t fix it if I entered badly.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Did that really cool thing where you injure both your elbows and keep rolling. Good poo poo

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spb posted:

Did that really cool thing where you injure both your elbows and keep rolling. Good poo poo

From experience this isn't a great idea.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welp, I'm moving to that Alliance affiliated gym I posted previously. :toot:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

From experience this isn't a great idea.

Sounds like you don't have heart.

Elbows bad; heart good.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rewatching Quintet.2 and I forgot how amazingly cool it was when Geo Martinez faced Haissam Rida. The height and weight difference was huge.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
If you want to know the reason for the split in DDS, read the comments between Jon Calestine, Gordon and Garry in this post. https://www.instagram.com/p/BnrQyp0FiCZ/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=15qbx71mij6x
I'm pretty bummed out about this because I've known all these guys since they were blue belts and like all of them.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 14, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

There's something about elite level martial artists having internet arguments that fascinates me

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think my brain has been rendered to mush after watching The Predator (a seriously confusing movie and not the good kind) and can barely understand what they're saying.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Gave up reading that after a few comments. Gordon sounds like a child.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mekchu posted:

I think my brain has been rendered to mush after watching The Predator (a seriously confusing movie and not the good kind) and can barely understand what they're saying.

Yeah Highlander and Predator are two franchises that should never have had sequels because the first movies basically nailed the premise

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mekchu posted:

Rewatching Quintet.2 and I forgot how amazingly cool it was when Geo Martinez faced Haissam Rida. The height and weight difference was huge.

All the matches with Haissam Rida were good. Very entertaining. Boys got talent.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

All the matches with Haissam Rida were good. Very entertaining. Boys got talent.

I’ll be interested to see if Sakuraba brings him back for Quintet 3 based on that performance.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Yuns posted:

If you want to know the reason for the split in DDS, read the comments between Jon Calestine, Gordon and Garry in this post. https://www.instagram.com/p/BnrQyp0FiCZ/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=15qbx71mij6x
I'm pretty bummed out about this because I've known all these guys since they were blue belts and like all of them.

it's too bad. but I'm sure some bridges will be rebuilt over time. I kind of find it's bad optics for Gordon to talk badly over other people though.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

I think I just got a headache reading all that. Kind of glad that type of stuff never happens in our gym. But I get it, these guys are incredibly high level, a lot of competition in the room.

quote:

But it's ok I get it, not everyone is like me... actually, no body is like me, that's why I'm the loving best

UGH.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

drat that's some petty childish drama going on there. Kinda amazing that none of this could be handled or discussed privately. It's terrible optics for Gordon too, he looks like a man child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

drat that's some petty childish drama going on there. Kinda amazing that none of this could be handled or discussed privately. It's terrible optics for Gordon too, he looks like a man child.

I think there was a quote by Dean Lister that said he will not promote someone to Brown Belt if they act like a dickhead. When you look at people like Ryan, AJ and Danis it totally makes sense why. Those attitudes are just horrible for Jiu Jitsu as a whole.