Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aw what a bummer, the translation quality on the slime isekai took a nosedive after volume 2. :(

edit: yes

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ahaha the lizardmen evolved into more dragon-ish lizardmen except for a subsect that happened to involve the cool king's daughter lizardwoman so she could be turned into a waifu for the slime harem I wager fuckin' lol

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Captain Invictus posted:

ahaha the lizardmen evolved into more dragon-ish lizardmen except for a subsect that happened to involve the cool king's daughter lizardwoman so she could be turned into a waifu for the slime harem I wager fuckin' lol

The weird part is that he, like...doesn't gently caress?

Like as far as I know the slime never fucks.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Captain Invictus posted:

Aw what a bummer, the translation quality on the slime isekai took a nosedive after volume 2. :(
There's a spin-off I saw that looks like it was translated by running it through Google Translate back-and-forth through a few different languages before settling on English.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
harems almost never actually involve actual romance, just tension. It's mostly a wish fulfillment thing so the protagonist can catch'em all, either men or women. Though they seem just fine with the two oni girls as lap pillows.

Hell, I really like that the slime's human form is explicitly genderless, and the author keeps it gender neutral in regards to the various characters referring to them.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 10, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Isekai harems do the sex more often but that's true, yeah.

I feel like for Slime Guy there's even, like, a lack of interest beyond 'I like hanging out, similar to a salaryman at a hostess bar' since he became a slime. (They? I feel like he still IDs as male, but it grows more tentative with each arc.)

The true waifu is Verdora, though, or whatever the hell the dragon from the first chapter was named.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ohhhhh noooooo they've just added a kid in a thong what are you doooooing

edit: OH NO SHE'S LITERALLY A THOUSAND-YEAR-OLD DEMON LORD TURN LEFT SLIME MANGA NOOOOO

Mors Rattus posted:

Isekai harems do the sex more often but that's true, yeah.

I feel like for Slime Guy there's even, like, a lack of interest beyond 'I like hanging out, similar to a salaryman at a hostess bar' since he became a slime. (They? I feel like he still IDs as male, but it grows more tentative with each arc.)

The true waifu is Verdora, though, or whatever the hell the dragon from the first chapter was named.
I might agree with you on Verdora if they showed up more than one panel per 12 chapters after the first one

and yeah he was originally a dude before the stabbin' but definitely feels like he's becoming more distant from his original life as things go on. As for sex drive, well, I don't think slimes have hormones :v:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 10, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

ohhhhh noooooo they've just added a kid in a thong what are you doooooing

edit: OH NO SHE'S LITERALLY A THOUSAND-YEAR-OLD DEMON LORD TURN LEFT SLIME MANGA NOOOOO

Ah, I remember when someone tried to recommend this is in the bad webcomics thread and got yelled out.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Here's the slime manga you should be reading

Slime Life

The stories of the everyday life of a black mage and a slime that run a magic store together as master and servant.

Just look at that thing:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

rvm posted:

Slime Life

The stories of the everyday life of a black mage and a slime that run a magic store together as master and servant.

Just look at that thing:

I feel like I'm reading Nagatoro from the perspective of the bully.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

rvm posted:

Slime Life

Just look at that thing:

Looking forward to the chapter where the monster temp agency rep shows up and the black mage has to go to mandatory harassment training

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

rvm posted:

Slime Life

Just look at that thing:

But how many different cute girls are in love with it?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
me
That is a joke. I don't read that particular manga. I will just take any opportunity to call myself cute (because i am).

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

me
That is a joke. I don't read that particular manga. I will just take any opportunity to call myself cute (because i am).

You have to read it now or you will be punished severely.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
*my manga reading voice*

wow, yes, this slime is a cute dude

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hes like a kirby character, and great.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Snooze Cruise posted:

I will just take any opportunity to call myself cute (because i am).
____________________/

Excellent post/avatar combo. :discourse:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

gmq posted:

I feel like I'm reading Nagatoro from the perspective of the bully.

My God you're right. This is capital B Bullying.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
slime life imparts a valuable life lesson: don't grope your employees

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

slime life imparts a valuable life lesson: don't grope your employees

She is getting zero backlash from this. D:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Artificer posted:

My God you're right. This is capital B Bullying.

Please don't bully me.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

gmq posted:

Please don't bully me.

*does anyway*

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

There are so many interesting mangas posted here and the surreal mangas thread that there's no way I can possibly keep up. :(

Saihate no Paladin seems pretty good though. There's ONE single instance of creepy sex stuff but it was a wet dream that the protag is horrified by so I guess I can overlook it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well yeah, aside from that it's just another poorly drawn solipsistic video game fantasy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Paladin's pretty neat and has some gorgeous art but it suffers for being another novel adaption and just lots of friggin text.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Yeah, I don't get the "poorly drawn" thing you keep making, Lamps.

Like, is it absolutely the best thing drawn? No. But is it poorly drawn? Hell no, it's actually pretty nice.

Okay, you said the cathedral design was bad. ... By what metric? Just that you don't like it?
I understand we can all have and express our opinions on manga, but seeing as how you already drew a sixer for being an rear end about this specific manga I just really wonder where the criticism comes from.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah we bitch about the isekai genre, but you have to expect to bump into the poop a little bit when you're dredging through a genre (subgenre?).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Okay, you said the cathedral design was bad. ... By what metric? Just that you don't like it?

Because look at this loving garbage. It's maybe three styles of church architecture mashed into one ugly mess.

First, why does it have two bell-towers, including one where the bell looks like it's enclosed by windows?

What's this colonnade even doing here?

Why is the whole thing covered willy-nilly with clerestories? In fact, it has ground-level clerestories!

And why oh why does it turn into a completely different building when shown from another angle?

Notice that the main dome and the smaller domes change place. First the main dome is over the crossing, and then it's over the choir... at least it should be, because this choir area is hosed. For some reason there's a roof terrace over where the apse and ambulatory should be, completely wrecking the most important part of the cathedral's interior.

Also the second bell-tower is on the other side now.

And yeah, it's two different buildings that vaguely connect. One part looks Romanesque and the other... gently caress if I know, the domes look Renaissance, but what the hell did the artist use as a reference for all the windows.

Like, is that part of the plot? Was it created as a prank by a fickle god of mischief? I may have missed that part

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 13, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Getting mad at the artist because a church incorporates several different styles of architecture is dumb. Even if they get the styles wrong, you can call that artistic license.
(Can also be explained in that it's a multi-deity church, so the reason it's architecture is all over the place is because it's multi-faith :v:)

Getting mad at the artist because they fail semi-basic perspectives is understandable. That's them failing to do their job.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"What would the temple to many gods look like? Something that really tells you that they're into polytheism... Oh I know! Western cathedrals!"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I can't believe I'm agreeing with Bravest but he has a point about the church's design. At the very least if you have an eye for architecture it shows a lack of research on the artists behalf to create a western-style cathedral that is consistent with a particular time period or style of architecture, as well as not maintaining continuity with it's layout. At worst it also undermines the notion of what the church is about and is just coded as 'It's a vaguely christian church' if the idea is supposed to be different.

Granted I don't read this series and didn't even know what was wrong with the first picture posted until it was explained.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm putting you all in the friggin incinerator, just to be safe.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Hey that effortpost was funnier than drive-by shitposts, and you have a good point once you illustrate what you’re talking about

It reminds me of this blog: http://mcmansionhell.com/

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I kind of cringed after realizing the whole conversation was about that drat cathedral or whatever it is because I had gotten accustomed to churches being giant mutts of multigenerational architecture. Heck, I googled for Japanese cathedrals assuming that I'd find a source image for that building from one of the perspectives, but nope. I guess somebody actually did pull that out of their rear end.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Does the church BotL is sperging over play a significant role in the story or is it just a throwaway location?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Jackard posted:

Does the church BotL is sperging over play a significant role in the story or is it just a throwaway location?
It's where they live, and it does play a bit of a role, but aside from being their home and it being purposefully adjacent to a plot-important location, the building itself doesn't seem to be super important. My memory is pretty bad, but I don't remember there being more than a couple overview shots of it too.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Because look at this loving garbage.
Ah, aiite i can see that. You know a lot about architecture and, yeah, there being that many mistakes would probably piss me off if i knew heads from architectural tails (i don't know what most of your architectural nouns meant :().

Thank you for explaining though! I can see why you'd hate that.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Lol at calling this "poorly drawn" instead of "poorly designed" though, that's either idiotic or massively disingenious

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well it is poorly drawn. Every time it's shown it full it looks teensy instead of monumental. The thick, dense line-work without proper variation or contrast is painful to look at. Combined with the complete lack of shading, there's no sense of depth or distance.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 13, 2018

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

It has as many windows as my dumb buildings in Minecraft!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well it is poorly drawn. Every time it's shown it full it looks teensy instead of monumental. The thick, dense line-work without proper variation or contrast is painful to look at. Combined with the complete lack of shading, there's no sense of depth or distance.

Don't even act like you specified the cathedral in particular when you took your solipsistic snipe. You labeled the entire thing as "poorly drawn" which is - well, i'm leaning heavily into the disingenious side now

I don't particularly enjoy the art style as a whole and only got through a couple chapters before losing interest, but come the gently caress on

edit: i enjoyed the post about the cathedral though since it's always fun to see someone apply their in-depth knowledge to fiction, like that time we had a train engineer effortpost on the Kabaneri anime, more of that and less cheap snipes please

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 13, 2018