Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Raxivace posted:

I'd argue that at least some season 2 filler only ended up more relevant with The Return.

Like Ben Horne's Civil War thing where he imagines himself changing history only ends up becoming a comedic foreshadowing for Cooper literally (And tragically) changing history in The Return.

Or James‘ sidestory foreshadowing the brain damage he'll receive upon attempting to return to Twin Peaks.

Also, if you think your friends would sit through the entire Twin Peaks movie with you, I don‘t give a gently caress how much of the second season you skip.

And More fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It's totally fine for someone to skip parts, it's stupid to skip them FOR someone you're showing the show to. Let them just watch the show and decide for themselves. Maybe they'll think Super Nadine rules.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I agree they may not be true Peaks fans if they aren't totally enraptured by the pilot - I'd probably give up on them at that point if they can't get into it.

My problem is that I legitimately feel like sections of Season legitimately *are* just over-the-top silly, and that certainly while I was watching them I found myself rolling my eyes... These guys, if they actually DO wind up getting "into" the show will probably insist on skipping nothing and *I'll* be the one insisting we fast forward through James Hurley's adventures with an exceptionally uninteresting married woman.

Anyway, who knows...

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

When I watched the second season with a friend, I told him there was a rough patch coming up, and we could skip some stuff if he wanted to. When we got to James’ sidestory’s second scene he went: “Yeah, I’m not watching that.” Everything else was fine including the Missing Pieces.

Regarding the attention span thing: Personally, I put my phone away when I’m watching stuff. Some people just need it, though. Like, my mom has a near encyclopedic knowledge of movies, and she’s watched most of them while doing something else in the other room. No idea how it works. :shrug:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Skipping anything in media/entertainment/whatever seems insane to me but it is what it is.

Thanks for hyping me on Wild at Heart & Dune my friends. Watching both soon!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Season 2 isn’t even that bad. I expected way worse going through it last year by how people talk about it. The James plot with the woman is definitely the low point.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SeANMcBAY posted:

Season 2 isn’t even that bad. I expected way worse going through it last year by how people talk about it. The James plot with the woman is definitely the low point.

I watched it for the first time last year before season 3 dropped and genuinely liked it. There were very dumb parts but they were worth it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Season 2 is worse if you're a Lynch fan watching it holistically as a Lynch project than if you're just in it for an entertaining TV show. Twin Peaks was the first Lynch thing I ever watched so back then I had no idea late Season 2 was supposed to be worse than the rest and I didn't really notice a marked change at a particular point. But going back to the show with appreciation for his other work, it kind of loses steam around that point. Twin Peaks after Laura Palmer is like The Office after Michael Scott: the show didn't get bad, but without the one major thing that defined it in its heyday, the show starts to feel like an imitation of itself.

I do wonder how the Windom Earle plotline would have gone if Lynch had stayed on post-Laura, or if it would have existed at all. Earle is mentioned in an episode that Lynch directs, but it's near the end of Laura's plot so I dunno if he had anything to do with setting up future story hooks at that point.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's totally fine for someone to skip parts, it's stupid to skip them FOR someone you're showing the show to. Let them just watch the show and decide for themselves. Maybe they'll think Super Nadine rules.

super nadine DOES rule

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

romanowski posted:

super nadine DOES rule

:yeah:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Super Nadine is part of Lynch's original characterization of her anyway. Remember that she bends the poo poo out of her rowing machine in one of the first Lynch episodes of Season 1.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Second half of the second season is the worst when it was pretty much the last word on the story told in the show. With season three around there is a lot to look forward too, and post reveal pre-s2 finale takes up a lot less of the overall narrative now than it used to.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't dislike General Ben Horne in concept, but it seemed that it never wrapped up satisfactorily. Nor did that beauty pageant thing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't dislike General Ben Horne in concept, but it seemed that it never wrapped up satisfactorily. Nor did that beauty pageant thing.

That's really the biggest issue with the s2 plot lines. They didn't really seem to have any kind of real arc in mind. They just sort of happen without meaning anything.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like season 3

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpmE6XTGGrU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dVejxHVqnM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT8bEOKFAyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78M7f6dk3Bg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mutLslRHZuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--XfpngHdCw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqCZ03OfgTA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9uuGCVZI5A

There's an enormous amount of music in the Twin Peaks Archive collection; about $10 for as many hours.
http://www.spinshop.com/store/david...black&wId=67903

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

Yo, I want my friends to read Lord of the Rings. Which chapters can they skip? They get bored and start looking at sparkly things
Any of the parts with Tom Bombadil, also the chapter about the Queen packing up over 40 hats in suit cases before they flee from the Orcs.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The first time I watched season 2 I spent half the time laughing at how silly it was and the other half very confused until the last episode or two when David Lynch goes back to directing and fixing the series. It helped that I watched season 2 with a friend and it's a lot more fun if you have people you can laugh with.

On a rewatch I would cut out a bunch of episodes from season 2 though because I couldn't watch some of those alone.

My vote for the worst one of the series is the episode where James goes to live with a rich woman outside of twin peaks as a mechanic. This could have been from any soap opera and had nothing to do with twin peaks and it wasn't even in twin peaks! That one I would delete from the series because it isn't even funny bad and the entire episode stays focused on that bad soap opera plot.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The Straight Story is the single most depressing G-rated movie I've ever seen.

This film will embed itself in you and a multitude of things the rest of your life will remind you of it.

Volte posted:

Season 2 is worse if you're a Lynch fan watching it holistically as a Lynch project than if you're just in it for an entertaining TV show. Twin Peaks was the first Lynch thing I ever watched so back then I had no idea late Season 2 was supposed to be worse than the rest and I didn't really notice a marked change at a particular point. But going back to the show with appreciation for his other work, it kind of loses steam around that point. Twin Peaks after Laura Palmer is like The Office after Michael Scott: the show didn't get bad, but without the one major thing that defined it in its heyday, the show starts to feel like an imitation of itself.

I do wonder how the Windom Earle plotline would have gone if Lynch had stayed on post-Laura, or if it would have existed at all. Earle is mentioned in an episode that Lynch directs, but it's near the end of Laura's plot so I dunno if he had anything to do with setting up future story hooks at that point.

If you want to launder some season 2 poo poo into something more enjoyable, read The Secret History of Twin Peaks.

grilldos fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 10, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

grilldos posted:

This film will embed itself in you and a multitude of things the rest of your life will remind you of it.

I;m thinking about thos Grabbers

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DropsySufferer posted:

My vote for the worst one of the series is the episode where James goes to live with a rich woman outside of twin peaks as a mechanic. This could have been from any soap opera and had nothing to do with twin peaks and it wasn't even in twin peaks! That one I would delete from the series because it isn't even funny bad and the entire episode stays focused on that bad soap opera plot.

Yea that one I think is almost universally reviled, much moreso than even Super Nadine or General Ben Horne. I think mostly everyone agrees that storyline was a total snoozer in every way.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It also makes James look like less of an innocent at heart and more like just an utter dope.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think James was always supposed to be kind of a dope. One of Jacoby's tapes of Laura even has her talking about how she can't believe how dumb he is.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

DropsySufferer posted:

The first time I watched season 2 I spent half the time laughing at how silly it was and the other half very confused until the last episode or two when David Lynch goes back to directing and fixing the series. It helped that I watched season 2 with a friend and it's a lot more fun if you have people you can laugh with.

On a rewatch I would cut out a bunch of episodes from season 2 though because I couldn't watch some of those alone.

For sure. That whole plot is annoying, uninteresting and unrelated to anything else

Supernadine and General Ben at least were funny

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i love the evil mechanic plot

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
That whole James Hurly adventure reminded me of a Red Shoe Diaries episode minus anything genuinely erotic or perhaps an incredibly limp TV riff on Wild at Heart. Just a really terrible slab of bad Americana.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

SuperNadine gave us one of the single funniest moments in the entire series: when Mike explains to Bobby "what the combination of [Nadine's] maturity and physical strength can result in"

General Ben had some great scenes too, especially when Bobby and Audrey got roped into participating

Jame's Sexy Road Adventures were straight up soap opera trash that Twin Peaks used to parody and I always skip these scenes on a rewatch unless it's with someone who's never seen it before

Skipping the 'bad' chunk of season 2 would also mean missing out on Denise, which is unforgiveable, and Josie becoming even more wooden than she was before

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 11, 2018

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I think James was always supposed to be kind of a dope. One of Jacoby's tapes of Laura even has her talking about how she can't believe how dumb he is.

I've always thought that Laura was only with James because she hoped his innocence/goodness might be contagious.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
That Super Nadine poo poo sucked.

Twin Peaks Season 2 sucks. BUT... I still wouldn't tell anyone to skip it. Gotta see it all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I watched Twin Peaks for the first time shortly before The Return, and the part where Nadine throws the guy and he does a corkscrew flip is one of the funniest things I've seen in years tbh.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I am currently struggling to get through season 2 on my rewatch right now. Only a few episodes to go though. The episode where Josie is trapped in the night stand and Bob shows up just screams someone imitating Lynch, but having no real talent for it. I guess there's a reason it's never brought up again.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Bird in a Blender posted:

I am currently struggling to get through season 2 on my rewatch right now. Only a few episodes to go though. The episode where Josie is trapped in the night stand and Bob shows up just screams someone imitating Lynch, but having no real talent for it. I guess there's a reason it's never brought up again.

That would be Lynch imitating Lynch, because knob-Josie was his idea. That episode marks his return to the production end of the series, generally.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rocco posted:

That Super Nadine poo poo sucked.

Twin Peaks Season 2 sucks. BUT... I still wouldn't tell anyone to skip it. Gotta see it all.

I wouldn't say it sucks. The episodes leading up to the Leyland/Bob reveal are pretty good. After that it goes downhill a bit though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I said as much a while ago: Season 2 is basically three regular-length seasons. You get season 2.1 which is the straightforward continuation of the Laura Palmer murder mystery and lasts until the obvious point. Then you get season 2.2 where the show loses the plot; quite literally, in fact, because the murder mystery was the reason all these characters existed, and once it's out of the show, they're all just aimlessly milling around resorting to ludicrous C-plots to justify their existence. This ends with Diane Keaton's episode where all those plots are wrapped up (and I'll gladly say it as many times as I need to, it's a great wrapup). And then you get season 2.3 which I'm gonna call the Secret History season: things get somewhat back on track with Black Lodge stuff, but by that time it's become a very different kind of show and it's a "for better or worse" thing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like to imagine the executive who forced them to solve Laura's murder looks like Tom Cruise at the end of tropic thunder.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I've probably said this here before but the conclusion of Laura's murder and her parts of Fire Walk With Me are my favorite pieces of Twin Peaks and I'm glad it was resolved.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

People who waddle up to me leaking their broken hearted thoughts about how they love Twin Peaks except for most-of-the-episodes need to address their inability to accept that life is about taking the good with the bad and appreciating both.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Capntastic posted:

People who waddle up to me leaking their broken hearted thoughts about how they love Twin Peaks except for most-of-the-episodes need to address their inability to accept that life is about taking the good with the bad and appreciating both.

This.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Twin Peaks is a fictional television show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

Twin Peaks is a fictional television show

You take that back!