Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lunatic Sledge posted:

edit: This is an issue I have with a lot of superhero media in general, though. Superman fights Zod, who's only there for Superman, and then he fights Doomsday who was created... to fight Superman. I need to see the superhero stopping foes that would have existed independent of the superhero, otherwise the hero just looks like the problem himself.

captain america.

black panther and thor ragnarok are about cleaning up your parents' messes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Wait, that dude was in iron man 3 also? Link?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

AdmiralViscen posted:

Wait, that dude was in iron man 3 also? Link?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0928637/

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Wait, because Shane Black tried to help his friend out, that he probably didn't believe was a pedo. He must be a pedo too? Ok, Elon Musk.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shane Black thinks he has a good excuse for trying to solicit a 14 year old girl on the internet.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shawn posted:

Wait, because Shane Black tried to help his friend out, that he probably didn't believe was a pedo. He must be a pedo too? Ok, Elon Musk.

The guy literally pled guilty and served time for it you loving moron

Ps. In 2010, 3 years before im3

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

My only real issues with Iron Mans 2 and 3 is that even though they're structured to be about Tony "cleaning up his mess", in both cases the Starks did nothing wrong. Whiplash's dad told him some bullshit about Howard Stark, and Tony was like kinda rude to two people this one time at a summit. Oh no, how will he ever atone for these sins. It's right up there with the time Spider-man forgot Electro's name.

Supposedly the original idea for IM2 was that Howard did steal the designs and gently caress over Vanko's father but it got kind of lost in the shuffle of reshoots and rewrites and conflict between Favreau and Marvel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shawn posted:

There's nothing to believe or not. The guy plead guilty, admitted it, and served time. And then was still hired. It's sketchy as gently caress and it's nuts that it took this long for someone to notice and say something about it.

The kid was also a relative of his, so yeah.

Shane Black also said he knew about it and did it anyway. Just sexual abuse of a minor. No big whoop you know.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 12, 2018

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My new years resolution is going to be to not idolize any white men ever so this stops happening

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Retro Futurist posted:

My new years resolution is going to be to not idolize any white men ever so this stops happening

Idolize Mr Rogers. And only Mr Rogers. That’s it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

There's nothing to believe or not. The guy plead guilty, admitted it, and served time. And then was still hired. It's sketchy as gently caress and it's nuts that it took this long for someone to notice and say something about it.

The kid was also a relative of his, so yeah.

Shane Black also said he knew about it and did it anyway. Just sexual abuse of a minor. No big whoop you know.

Black said that he believed the guy's version where it was all just some big misunderstanding or whatever. He never looked into it deeper, which was a bad thing to do. But after he did he gave a good apology for it and owned up to loving up.

I don't think there's a need to jump on Black about it any further.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

X-O posted:

I think Bob Ross was pretty clean, too, unless somebody wants to gently caress my day up

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-the-predator-shane-black-steven-wilder-striegel-20180906-story.html posted:

“I've known Shane Black 14 years, well before this incident, and I think it's worth noting that he was aware of the facts,” Striegel said. 

Oh

Seriously did you think black was just gonna come out and say yup i knew he was a pedo and i put him in my movies lol sorry not sorry

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-predator-olivia-munn-trevante-rhodes-augusto-aguilera-tiff-interview-20180908-story.html posted:

But Black never made that apology directly, says Munn, who had to read it online along with the rest of the world.

“I don’t accept Shane’s apology,” she said. “It wasn’t given to me personally .... I think a real apology has to be done privately, not just read publicly, and I read it with the rest of the world. I didn’t get that call. I didn’t get any calls from any producers or anybody saying, ‘Thank you for letting us know,’ or, ‘Thank you for letting us know before the movie.’”

quote:

“I apologize to all of those, past and present, I've let down by having Steve around them without giving them a voice in the decision," his statement read.

Yeah sounds like a good apology. Cant even bother to mention Munn by name

site fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 12, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shane Black did a dumb lovely thing, but I’m still a fan. This doesn’t really ruin any of his films for me. It just makes me question why he liked this guy enough to give him gigs despite that.

I feel like if he did something really repugnant I’d come out by now. Besides the lovely thing he pulled. But I don’t think it was malicious, just careless and ignorant.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

site posted:

Oh

Seriously did you think black was just gonna come out and say yup i knew he was a pedo and i put him in my movies lol sorry not sorry

Yeah sounds like a good apology. Cant even bother to mention Munn by name

Munn willingly worked for Bryan loving Singer so cry me a goddamn river she had to work with an ex-con who actually did his time in one scene.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

X-O posted:

Tom Hanks and Weird Al are on my list of people I would be crushed if they were lovely.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

AngryBooch posted:

Munn willingly worked for Bryan loving Singer so cry me a goddamn river she had to work with an ex-con who actually did his time in one scene.

I was almost with you for the fair criticism of her, afaik, not saying anything about singer, but then you had to dive into saying that not being told you're working with a child predator is okay and ruin it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pedophilia is an illness and doing jail time does nothing to alleviate it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yep.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

site posted:

Yeah, now im worried about how that kid was treated on set and who he had to interact with

Also, if shanes willing to sneak a pedo on set because hes that good of friends with the guy you kinda gotta wonder about his inclinations as well

This is site STRAIGHT UP implying that Shane Black must also be a pedo.

No one wants to believe the bad poo poo their friends did while in the grips of mental illness. How is saying that I get that Shane Black didn't want to believe his friend was a pedo the same as defending sexual abuse on children?

site posted:

The guy literally pled guilty and served time for it you loving moron

Ps. In 2010, 3 years before im3

This is site calling me a moron because I think it's bullshit to call Shane Black a pedo because he was trying to help a friend, who obviously went through a thing and isn't going to get work otherwise.

rear end in a top hat.

Shawn fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 12, 2018

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
The way this country handles mental illness is sickening. There is little if any help available at all if you're not financially well off.

Yes, it's absolutely a problem that the "justice" system won't attempt any rehabilitation at all, but stigmatizing someone for being sick to the degree where you actively deny them work will do nothing but ensure that they stay sick. Getting someone fired for having been through the system is 100% the best way to ensure that they keep wanting to abuse children.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shawn posted:

No one wants to believe the bad poo poo their friends did while in the grips of mental illness. How is saying that I get that Shane Black didn't want to believe his friend was a pedo the same as defending sexual abuse on children?

Yeah uh i don't think it's any secret that pedos and guys who commit sexual assault and such in powerful positions in politics and places like Hollywood tend to know each other and protect/help each other and when one of them get outed they "apologize", disavow, and ride out the pr storm until the heat dies down. Like how many times have we seen this play out in just the last couple years?

The alternative theory you guys are telling me is that Shane thought this guy was arrested, pled guilty, and sent to jail for sending innocuous emails to a 14yo relative telling her she's beautiful and nothing else and not thinking that was suspicious at all...even though the guy literally said Shane knew what was up

Can i say for certain Shane is pedo? Of course not, but I'm not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt given the circumstances of what went down

Also it's pretty disingenuous to claim that pedophilia is just something you can just have, like, some psychotic episode of. Oh yeah he just had a bout of the ol pedo but he got over it

what a crock of poo poo

site fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 12, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shawn posted:

This is site calling me a moron because I think it's bullshit to call Shane Black a pedo because he was trying to help a friend, who obviously went through a thing and isn't going to get work otherwise.

rear end in a top hat.

You're a loving rear end in a top hat idiot moron dipshit.

Plastik posted:

The way this country handles mental illness is sickening. There is little if any help available at all if you're not financially well off.

Yes, it's absolutely a problem that the "justice" system won't attempt any rehabilitation at all, but stigmatizing someone for being sick to the degree where you actively deny them work will do nothing but ensure that they stay sick. Getting someone fired for having been through the system is 100% the best way to ensure that they keep wanting to abuse children.

This is the stupidest take I've ever seen in my years on this forum. Being a sex offender is not a mental illness.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

You're a loving rear end in a top hat idiot moron dipshit.

Another classic Lurdiak effort post. :justpost:

vvv And yet you do, it's like you have a compulsion to shitpost... almost like a mental illness...

Shawn fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 12, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shawn posted:

Another classic Lurdiak effort post. :justpost:

What effort do you think your imbecilic posts crying foul about a pedophile enabler merit? It's beneath me to even reply to you.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The word pedophile has come way too many times in this thread and it's really depressing. I changed my mind. I want Cap to die and for Chris Evans to be immediately evacuated from Hollywood. Forever.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don’t think Shane is a pedo and I don’t think there’s anything that points to him being one. I think it’s a bit over the line to accuse him, however thinly veiled it was, because of this situation. I think with this situation he’s shown he’s a really poor judge of character, someone who doesn’t really think about the repercussions of his choices in regards to who he’s friends with, and someone who entirely missed the point of all of this even after it was pointed out to him. That makes him dumb and someone who has demonstrated some seriously lovely decision making that could have potentially put his actors in dangerous situations. And someone who still needs to acknowledge how lovely he’s been to the people he’s worked with by putting them unknowingly in terrible situations. An actual good apology would be a good first step. And no that poor excuse for an apology he issued already doesn’t come close to cutting it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is a serious discussion to be had about what can be done for convicted criminals and how they should be reintegrated into society and all of that. And that is fair.

The issue here is that this was a convicted sex offender being cast repeatedly in major Hollywood blockbusters without informing anyone involved and in this particular case was cast as *someone sexually harassing a woman*, a woman played by an actress who has already spoken about her real-life sexual abuse troubles in Hollywood. Once she found out about it she complained (as she is in her right to do!) and the result was that she ended up ostracized and treated like poo poo by the rest of the cast. It is literally the case of a woman speaking out about being uncomfortable being forced to act alongside a known sex offender who got his position via nepotism being punished for not shutting up.

There needs to be more done to help criminals, even abusers, reintegrate into society. That doesn't include having them act in blockbuster films alongside victims without the victim's knowledge and consent.

Edit: The "she didn't speak up about Bryan Singer" thing is a load of poo poo as well. Shockingly an actress in Hollywood speaking out about the abuses she was witness to or had inflicted on her being scared that she would be ignored or harmed for speaking out is *literally a major part of the current movement.* It's taken time for people being willing to come out for fear of not being inflicted with consequences for doing so. And Predator is a great example of why that is an issue because she spoke out about an issue and suddenly everyone got awkward and silent and literally walked out of interviews.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 12, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shawn posted:

almost like a mental illness...

You're not exactly helping your case in being taken seriously when you're intentionally being disingenuous about mental illness, and then pulling dumb poo poo like this

I can honestly say I didn't expect to be having to defend the position of "enabling a pedophile is bad" against multiple posters when I woke up this morning, but when it's Someone Who Made A Thing They Liked people can't help but come out in droves to perform mental gymnastics to make the weirdest stuff okay I guess

site fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 12, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I thought the whole point was the dude told Black a different story from what actually happened, probably the ol' "oh I got wrongfully accused for peeing in public" line or something, and that Black only found out what the guy actually did later the same day it came out.

Not to say it's not tremendously hosed up to just hire a registered sex offender for your movie - three times! - and not tell anyone about it regardless of what you think you know

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also almost all the actors have come out in support of Munn as of this time, so I think it was a case of people not wanting to be reactionary and give a better statement.

Or you could be cynical. Either way they’re on her side.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

The word pedophile has come way too many times in this thread and it's really depressing. I changed my mind. I want Cap to die and for Chris Evans to be immediately evacuated from Hollywood. Forever.

I want him to enter politics. President Evans.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chris Evans leaving Hollywood isn't going to stop pedophilla.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So what's the golden balance between arguing about Star Wars and arguing about pedophilia

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BrianWilly posted:

So what's the golden balance between arguing about Star Wars and arguing about pedophilia

Arguing about Star Trek?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Arguing about Star Trek? Space 1999

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Rhyno posted:

I want him to enter politics. President Evans.

His uncle was a mostly good congressman (who is actually nicknamed Cap, funnily enough), so he probably has access to people and resources that could help him make that switch pretty easily. Then again, his uncle just lost his primary so maybe those wouldn't be the best resources around...

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Chris Evans needs to either

1: Kill all the furries in the world
2: Kill Mr.Trump
3: Seppukku

in order to redeem his soul

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Also almost all the actors have come out in support of Munn as of this time, so I think it was a case of people not wanting to be reactionary and give a better statement.

Or you could be cynical. Either way they’re on her side.

It’s a case of they got called out for it and scrambled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zzulu posted:

Chris Evans needs to either

1: Kill all the furries in the world
2: Kill Mr.Trump
3: Seppukku

in order to redeem his soul
Wow anti-furry sentiment. It must suck to come from the alternate timeline where Trump is president in 2004

• Locked thread