Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

galenanorth posted:

Daedalus (ENT S04E10) is a good transporter ghost story with good guest characters. Even Porthos seemed not approve of what's going on with the transporter, judging by the whimper when Archer entered.

I liked that right up to the series end, the transporter was treated as this real dangerous spooky thing. Considering a lot of laziness of the show, like "hull plating down to 35%" stuff, you would think after like, 5 episodes in they would just go on to using the transporter willy nilly like in every star trek, but thankfully thats one of the few prequel aspects that was significant and held on to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tom Guycot posted:

I liked that right up to the series end, the transporter was treated as this real dangerous spooky thing. Considering a lot of laziness of the show, like "hull plating down to 35%" stuff, you would think after like, 5 episodes in they would just go on to using the transporter willy nilly like in every star trek, but thankfully thats one of the few prequel aspects that was significant and held on to.

I liked that one time they tried to transport some crewman dude and he came back with rocks and twigs embedded in him.

“Whoops”

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The De Havilland Comet of transporters.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Thats one bit of STD dislike i've never understood, where some people seemed to have a problem with the gross body horror stuff:

Star trek has a long history of creepy gross body horror stuff since the beginning.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Body horror is great!!

And you joke about neelix but I wonder if I'd put Tuvix in as body horror. Probably!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Yeah body horror is cool it's all the other poo poo that people thought really blew

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

it wasn't so much the visual that was gory on that one, but the loving sound design jesus christ. I can still hear the screams if I think about it, and I haven't watched that movie in years. Easily the most hosed up scene in Trek in my book.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
And Threshold may be stupid, but it won an Emmy for those transformation effects. And rightfully so!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

it wasn't so much the visual that was gory on that one, but the loving sound design jesus christ. I can still hear the screams if I think about it, and I haven't watched that movie in years. Easily the most hosed up scene in Trek in my book.

What we did get back didn't live long... Fortunately.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah, i'm hard pressed thinking of a more blood curdling scene in Trek.

"Oh no... they're forming"

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, i'm hard pressed thinking of a more blood curdling scene in Trek.

"Oh no... they're forming"

What episode is this from?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

galenanorth posted:

What episode is this from?

The Motion Picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ9VIswgcU4

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TMP is just such a unique movie in the Star Trek set. The main plot doesn't really work but that's honestly not why anyone should be watching this film.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

TMP is just such a unique movie in the Star Trek set. The main plot doesn't really work but that's honestly not why anyone should be watching this film.

I loved watching the motion picture, albeit once every decade, so that it doesn't outstay it's welcome. It's so full of ambition and wonder and there's nothing else quite like it... Such a trippy depiction of space, not to mention the sheer filmic lust for the Enterprise.

It's also interesting how they aren't afraid to show Kirk as a bit of a dick, pulling rank and taking over command. Shatner looks amazingly young in it too, given Wrath of Kahn is only a couple of years later. Makeup and girdles work wonders.

Of course it is a slog to sit through and most certainly doesn't hold up to the other titles in the series. But I'm glad it took more cues from 2001 than Star Wars.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe1hKZjCVyM

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The transporter accident in TMP is utterly horrific because of the way they're screaming throughout the whole thing, and you can see their bodies warping and tearing as they form. It's one of those rare things in film that I've actually found more disturbing as I've got older rather than less. Thanks, empathy!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Then on top of that you get the transporter chief back at Starfleet commenting: "what we got back... didn't live long. Fortunately."

That scene owned.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing that really underlined the horror of the scene is that we didn't know WHO was coming through on the transporter until Kirk says "commander Sonak's family can be reached through the Vulcan Embassy." That added impact to the scene in that it wasn't just two unnamed people, one was a character that was introduced a few scenes earlier that was supposed to fill Spock's shoes.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

bull3964 posted:

The thing that really underlined the horror of the scene is that we didn't know WHO was coming through on the transporter until Kirk says "commander Sonak's family can be reached through the Vulcan Embassy." That added impact to the scene in that it wasn't just two unnamed people, one was a character that was introduced a few scenes earlier that was supposed to fill Spock's shoes.

The guy who was suppose to be the replacement Vulcan on Phase II played the Epsilon IX commander.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Imagine being the person who had to tell Persis Khambatta that she has a line that reads "my oath of celibacy is on record, captain," apropos of literally nothing, ten seconds after her character meets Kirk.

The Roddenberry era was really skeezy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drone posted:

Imagine being the person who had to tell Persis Khambatta that she has a line that reads "my oath of celibacy is on record, captain," apropos of literally nothing, ten seconds after her character meets Kirk.

The Roddenberry era was really skeezy.

Honestly, I can't watch Space Seed. Other eps are fine though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
More than Roddenberry being creepy, that’s just the TMP script being incoherent mess. There’s a bunch of background information about how sex with Deltans is dangerous and that they’re so sexy they can gently caress your brain up, that never made it into the movie so the line is a complete non sequitur.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Show, don't tell. Also don't show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I figured that preemptively rejecting Kirk’s sexual advances had just become Starfleet regulations by that point.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Phylodox posted:

I figured that preemptively rejecting Kirk’s sexual advances had just become Starfleet regulations by that point.

Subordinate Directive

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Lieutenant Sex Appeal, reporting for duty, sir. Also, no.”

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

#DELTANMETOO

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, the closest he ever comes to getting any action in the movies is a peck on the cheek from Dr. Taylor and briefly making out with Martia on Rura Penthe.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Yeah, the closest he ever comes to getting any action in the movies is a peck on the cheek from Dr. Taylor and briefly making out with himself on Rura Penthe.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Yeah, the closest he ever comes to getting any action in the movies is a peck on the cheek from Dr. Taylor and briefly making out with Martia on Rura Penthe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0m9E1QY-g4

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

skasion posted:

More than Roddenberry being creepy, that’s just the TMP script being incoherent mess. There’s a bunch of background information about how sex with Deltans is dangerous and that they’re so sexy they can gently caress your brain up, that never made it into the movie so the line is a complete non sequitur.

See, that's Roddenberry being creepy. Look up his original take on the Ferengi sometime.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"Tell us something about the new villains the Ferengi."
"Big knobby monster cocks."
"OK..."
"Earth women can't get enough of 'em."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

"I always thought Spock was a bit of a pirate at heart."

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
https://twitter.com/trekdocs/status/1040261449673859072?s=21

https://twitter.com/trekdocs/status/1040262600771203073?s=21

https://twitter.com/trekdocs/status/1040263866876420096?s=21

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 13, 2018

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'm legit envious whenever I see old production memos like this that people made (and still make make) a good living splitting hairs over the details of a fictional universe like this.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'm legit envious whenever I see old production memos like this that people made (and still make make) a good living splitting hairs over the details of a fictional universe like this.

For real, I spend lots of time agonizing over details of fictional worlds, but for free on my laptop. Even if anything I make gets published, that's pennies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well part of the whole point of stardates was so they could go 'gently caress it'.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh... oh no what is happening to me... I'm becoming... sperg....

*Pokemon-esque evolution sequence plays*

Assuming the passage of time between the last on-screen appearance of Jean-Luc Picard (in Star Trek Nemesis) is 1:1 with the passage of time since that movie came out, Star Trek: Picard's Retirement Home Adventures should take place around Stardate 71000. Regardless of what those memos say, canon through DS9 and Voyager would indicate that the second digit of a Stardate always increases with each complete Earth year that passes, and since Nemesis took place around stardate 56000, and since it's been 15 years since Nemesis, stardate 71000 would be an okay guess (again if we assume that Picard has aged as much as Patrick Stewart has in that time). That would place it 30 years in-universe after the events of Encounter at Farpoint, and not too far off that mark in real-life as well.

Edit: also, gently caress. It's been fifteen loving years since Nemesis came out. That's very nearly as long as the gap between the production of TOS and TNG.

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 13, 2018

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Drone posted:

Oh... oh no what is happening to me... I'm becoming... sperg....

*Pokemon-esque evolution sequence plays*

Assuming the passage of time between the last on-screen appearance of Jean-Luc Picard (in Star Trek Nemesis) is 1:1 with the passage of time since that movie came out, Star Trek: Picard's Retirement Home Adventures should take place around Stardate 71000. Regardless of what those memos say, canon through DS9 and Voyager would indicate that the second digit of a Stardate always increases with each complete Earth year that passes, and since Nemesis took place around stardate 56000, and since it's been 15 years since Nemesis, stardate 71000 would be an okay guess (again if we assume that Picard has aged as much as Patrick Stewart has in that time). That would place it 30 years in-universe after the events of Encounter at Farpoint, and not too far off that mark in real-life as well.

Edit: also, gently caress. It's been fifteen loving years since Nemesis came out. That's very nearly as long as the gap between the production of TOS and TNG.
On a related note -- as of next year, enough IRL time will have passed to bring the in-universe clock to the "future" period of All Good Things :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
2018 is also Dax’s birthday year :toot: