Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

I thought the gain was to taunt them, that is, the conspiracy theorist, personally. Its like a movie villain who lectures the hero about their motie and plan instead of not doing that. Because all of this conspiracy bullshit is just the product of people who have never been able to accept they aren't the protagonist of a movie.

That's what you often see and what I was making fun of, I was just remarking that Helsing's friend's explanation is possibly less insane because while it relies on superstitious beliefs, given that one accepts those superstitions it at least provides powerful actors a plausible motivation for leaving all these deliberate clues in plain sight.

I guess you could go either way. On the one hand believing in magic is arguably crazier than believing powerful cabals of puppetmasters all have the ridiculous compulsion to reveal their top secret plan to morons in order to gloat because while stupid the latter is at least physically possible. On the other hand magical thinking is a common human foible whereas whereas failing the theory of mind so bad that you assume powerful people give enough a poo poo about you personally to fill the world with coded messages to you is abnormal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The last 50 years of movies have basically coded us to think that powerful people explain their evil plans all the time because bad screenwriters couldn't think of a reasonable way to actually bring it across in any realistic way. If you have trouble differentiating fiction from reality, which if you are a conspiracy theorist, you do, I can see them assuming that real life works that way too - they just think that these people are compelled to gloat and take every opportunity for it.

Remember, the Incel and MRA movement are based almost entirely off of people seeing every male movie or TV character end up with a woman as a form of reward for his actions, and not understanding why they also were not rewarded with a woman.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

VitalSigns posted:

I guess you could go either way. On the one hand believing in magic is arguably crazier than believing powerful cabals of puppetmasters all have the ridiculous compulsion to reveal their top secret plan to morons in order to gloat because while stupid the latter is at least physically possible. On the other hand magical thinking is a common human foible whereas whereas failing the theory of mind so bad that you assume powerful people give enough a poo poo about you personally to fill the world with coded messages to you is abnormal.

Further muddying this is the fact that most conspiracy theorists who blame the occult don't actually know jack-poo poo about the occult. Its just another scrawled "look, it's all connected!" chalkboard for them, since most of them are Christian in the "if you're not for Jesus, you're for Satan" sense. Like, they'll mix limited knowledge about Aleister Crowley with whatever Bible Code bullshit they found at a bookstore, and then blame it on secret Kaballah mystic Jews who are working with the resurrected Theosophists in order to harvest our vril energy.

They just treat every group in the occult world as interchangeable, since every one of them is just a Chaotic Evil sect with the goal of destroying Christian America. For every person who could actually explain what Thelema is, there are dozens that think that the Satanic Panic was totally justified.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It's actually pretty fascinating to delve into the historical links between occultism and the far right. Helena Blavatsky's late 19th century proto-New Age religion of Theosophy is mostly forgotten today but it served as one of the major inspirations for H. P. Lovecraft (he even name checks Theosophy at the start of Call of Cthulhu) and through Lovecraft's work it helped introduce the entire ancient aliens hypothesis into popular culture. What's somewhat less known is that theosophical writings also seem to have had a significant impact on Nazi race science and that Hitler's personal library contained occult texts that had been annotated and marked up in Hitler's hand. Outside of pop culture sources like Indiana Jones or Monty Python you rarely see references to the links between Nazism and the Occult even though its thoroughly documented by scholars.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

business hammocks posted:

“Chicago very unsafe...MURDERS there. Will restore ORDER.’ Golly, what could he mean? Chicago...of course! He means black people!”

“Right chum, he’s no doubt preparing kill squads right now. Get out hoods!”

Pretty good, but it's more like "Two if by Sea"...."Sea!"..."C"...."C" as in "Catwoman"! levels of idiocy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Q has become that scene from Black Dynamite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D97gwGlMFE

Uh not work safe for fake wiener.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

The weirdest bit is that makes complete sense if you just ignore the first 90% of it.

Helsing posted:

It's actually pretty fascinating to delve into the historical links between occultism and the far right. Helena Blavatsky's late 19th century proto-New Age religion of Theosophy is mostly forgotten today but it served as one of the major inspirations for H. P. Lovecraft (he even name checks Theosophy at the start of Call of Cthulhu) and through Lovecraft's work it helped introduce the entire ancient aliens hypothesis into popular culture. What's somewhat less known is that theosophical writings also seem to have had a significant impact on Nazi race science and that Hitler's personal library contained occult texts that had been annotated and marked up in Hitler's hand. Outside of pop culture sources like Indiana Jones or Monty Python you rarely see references to the links between Nazism and the Occult even though its thoroughly documented by scholars.

Where else would it come up outside of pop culture stuff? Its not like pop culture shys away from that - half the Wolfenstein games, most of the golden age comics, and stuff like Hellboy are all built around evil nazi black magic, but since magic isn't real, its not like anyplace else could really find it any more relevant than Hitlers fascination with Winnetou and native American culture.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Pretty good, but it's more like "Two if by Sea"...."Sea!"..."C"...."C" as in "Catwoman"! levels of idiocy.

Haha jesus you and me are so old :corsair:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Elephant Ambush posted:

Haha jesus you and me are so old :corsair:

"...someone Russian is gonna slip on a banana peel and break their neck!"

"The only possible answer, Robin."

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So the big bombs that the Qult has decided that Q predicted (because of course the arrests didn’t happen and there’s no big reveal to the public yet again) is that Trump pointed out it’s been 17 years since 9-11 and Q is the 17th letter in the alphabet so this must be a direct reference to Q not, you know, that it has in fact been 17 years since 9-11. The second big boom is while at the memorial for flight 93 Trump said a widow of a victim got back her husband’s luggage, wedding ring, and wallet. This wasn’t Trump being an idiot but see flight 93 was completely destroyed which means these items couldn’t exist so by Trump saying this he was really letting slip as a hidden message that 9-11 was an inside job and that those people didn’t really die in that field!

r/greatawakening is having a dual personality thing going right now too where half the posts are NEVER FORGET NEVER FORGIVE typically 9-11 stuff and the other half is 9-11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB stuff

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 11, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Compaction Cycle

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Helsing posted:

William Dudley Pelley, a major American fascist leader, was big into theosophy and part of the conditions for his release from prison following WWII was that he couldn't write about politics. He wrote about theosophy and UFO's instead and his work is somewhat embedded into conspiracy literature because of that. When people talk about Nordic space aliens, it has its roots in the hidden masters aspect of Theosophy.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

It's a real fishy situation, and where there's a fish, there's a penguin.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm a little surprised that we don't see more Chaos Magick aspects to the theories given how often I see redditors mention it elsewhere. Although Satanism is probably an easier sell to the boomers.

Visualizing a Q at the moment of post-orgasmic emptiness to own the libs

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Where else would it come up outside of pop culture stuff? Its not like pop culture shys away from that - half the Wolfenstein games, most of the golden age comics, and stuff like Hellboy are all built around evil nazi black magic, but since magic isn't real, its not like anyplace else could really find it any more relevant than Hitlers fascination with Winnetou and native American culture.

I think historians have tended to downplay or largely avoid discussion the links between Nazism and the occult precisely because it's so commonly associated with popular fiction or crazy conspiracy theories. Which is too bad because the crossover between Nazism and esoteric beliefs and secret societies might reveal some other interesting insights about the fascist mindset.

If you take an undergrad history course on the social history of Nazi Germany there's a decent chance you'll hear about the influences of Arthur de Gobineau on Nazi race science. But unless you actively go looking for it you probably won't come across the fact that Nazis were also heavily influenced by the writings of theosophists like Alfred Percy Sinnett and Helena Blavatsky and their New Agey ideas about the magical origins of the Aryan race.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

William Dudley Pelley, a major American fascist leader, was big into theosophy and part of the conditions for his release from prison following WWII was that he couldn't write about politics. He wrote about theosophy and UFO's instead and his work is somewhat embedded into conspiracy literature because of that. When people talk about Nordic space aliens, it has its roots in the hidden masters aspect of Theosophy.

Huh, hadn't heard of that particular connection. Very interesting.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Also for those who are unfamiliar this is the symbol of the Theosophical society:

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Well both are based around absolute good and evil existing so the crossover isn't that surprising. The belief in absolutes of morality is probably the driving factor for these people rather than whatever clothes it is dressed in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Occultism within the Nazis were mostly limited to the SS and other weirdos at the top. Popular fiction about it overblows it, though it was there. Himmler saw the SS as a knightly order and sought to capture esoteric aspects within it, and Hitler was into hollow earth as well. Though most if it was an attempt to prove that Aryan/Germanic culture was the root of all civilization.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I am legit entering this thread to ask; is there any theorising behind the "September 11th 17 years ago! :q:" tweet

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Calico Heart posted:

I am legit entering this thread to ask; is there any theorising behind the "September 11th 17 years ago! :q:" tweet

Check out last page, I think

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

twistedmentat posted:

Occultism within the Nazis were mostly limited to the SS and other weirdos at the top. Popular fiction about it overblows it, though it was there. Himmler saw the SS as a knightly order and sought to capture esoteric aspects within it, and Hitler was into hollow earth as well. Though most if it was an attempt to prove that Aryan/Germanic culture was the root of all civilization.

Yeah it's the kind of thing where it doesn't truly matter that much in history, since the Nazis ended up not sticking around in that form for too long.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

twistedmentat posted:

I love how that scene from the movie became a thing in most episodes.

Man that show was funny as poo poo

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

The stuff about Himmler wanting the SS to be a knightly order is well known but not that interesting. I'm talking more about the extent to which the racial ideology of Nazism was was a product of a weird melange of late 19th century ideas like Ariosophy.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Helsing posted:

The stuff about Himmler wanting the SS to be a knightly order is well known but not that interesting. I'm talking more about the extent to which the racial ideology of Nazism was was a product of a weird melange of late 19th century ideas like Ariosophy.

Yeah, lots of esoteric writings at the time were big on the whole "Hey, biological evolution is a thing, right? But what if there were, like, layers of spiritual evolution, maaan!?" concept. The thing is, the Jewish people usually got the short end of the stick when it came to what level they were at, which some random soldier named Adolf Hitler really strongly agreed with after reading a few newsletters on the subject.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Nazis were pretty incoherent as a party and a movement and you got stuff like the Myth of the 20th Century but Hitler is quoted as saying it was all garbage. So while some people in the party believed in awakening the "race soul" and finding the perfect representation of Aryan art, it was Hummels for those who weren't aware, most of the Nazis were pretty materialistic when it came to their world views. They still believed in crazy, racist garbage but not that kind of crazy, esoteric racist garbage.

EDIT: Himmler was given a lot of leeway too because he was Hitler's rock and the only party member he really trusted to protect him in the scenario of a coup or a political move against him at a moment of weakness. Himmler was pretty much allowed to do whatever he wanted as long as it didn't impede Hitler.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 12, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think people generally like nazis to have a crazy sci-fi fantasy religion because of the way america likes to otherise enemies and the way germany of the time was blandly christian and not even uniformly one sect that you could just declare the bad christians is uncomfortable to that.

Like a lot of people like godless muslims, godless japanese, godless communists as america's enemies and, 40% catholic, 55% protestant , 5% other christian sect nazis just doesn't slot into a lot of people's worldviews as well as "they were witches! every one!"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Basically antisemitism and racisms were quite widespread throughout Europe. Various esoteric movements would simply come up with ways to justify things people already believed like that, or sometimes would completely invert it to give the finger to existing society.

Viz: anthroposophy itself was pretty racist in a lot of ways, but would also do things like say "Most of the people of India are spiritual-biologically more evolved than Europe". Nazis would happily say pick up from that that well obviously the True Germans which of course included them were the secret evolved race in Europe lifting up evil Slavs and Jews etc.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
so are the inside job people the standard "I wish the holocaust was real" shitheadedness or is there actually a faction of the Qult that isn't full "ARAB TURRISTS"?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Helsing posted:

Wait, what did Python do about Nazis and the Occult?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Fates End posted:

so are the inside job people the standard "I wish the holocaust was real" shitheadedness or is there actually a faction of the Qult that isn't full "ARAB TURRISTS"?

The Qult is unique because there isn’t any defined conspiracy at the core. There is a group of elitist who eat children for Satan but that group of elites changes based on who they do and do not like. People who were previous fighting the deep state do something they don’t like and then suddenly they’re really eating children too. Because of this the Qult is so formless and fluid other more defined conspiracies can be bolt on and off at will. This week it’s the deep state did 9/11, last month there was some threads tying it to the JFK assassination.

The reason the Qult base is like this is because it’s rather unique for conspiracies as instead of it lashing out at perceived lies and faults of the people in power this conspiracy is instead based around justifying the person in power doing what they do at all costs. Because of that, and because of how all over the place Trump is, it can’t really have a stated solid core belief outside of something cartoonishly evil thing which is why we have the nebulous elite group backed by Jews worshipping Satan and eating children’s brains after torturing them

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Qult is unique because there isn’t any defined conspiracy at the core.

Yes? That a guy with Q level security clearance is leaking a plan to stop all the bad people and is communicating this through secret messages.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yes? That a guy with Q level security clearance is leaking a plan to stop all the bad people and is communicating this through secret messages.

"Real" Q posts are mostly irrelevant to Q "believers". Reminder: Grandma Chudderson isn't loading up obscure chan sites to read the latest posts, she's getting told something on Facebook 8 layers deep with several interpreters in the middle explaining that "Walk the brush, Royal paths bear fruit." explains that the Marines are going to arrest Hillary Clinton for emails.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That's not a conspiracy, that's an exposure. The things Q is "revealing" are the conspiracies, and they're essentially just telling the crazies to believe whatever they want to believe, because its all true because of these coded messages.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Woke up hoping to find myself in a blacksite where Trump and Q would make me see the truth, but nope.

Maybe the next prediction will get it.

pop fly to McGillicutty fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 12, 2018

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
So nobody was arrested yesterday and nobody cares? Or are they telling themselves it all happened in secret?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fulchrum posted:

That's not a conspiracy, that's an exposure. The things Q is "revealing" are the conspiracies, and they're essentially just telling the crazies to believe whatever they want to believe, because its all true because of these coded messages.

I mean, it tells you to believe whatever you want if you want to believe an extremely specific bundle of specific right wing conspiracy theories. It's not really super open ended to varied viewpoints or anything.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

jojoinnit posted:

So nobody was arrested yesterday and nobody cares? Or are they telling themselves it all happened in secret?

This is bullshit. Soros will be hearing about this.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When are they going to start going into space? I feel like there have to be space vessels and maybe greys at some point.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, it tells you to believe whatever you want if you want to believe an extremely specific bundle of specific right wing conspiracy theories. It's not really super open ended to varied viewpoints or anything.

It really is. People who believe Hillary is satan are side by side with 9/11 truthers, holocaust deniers, Roswell kooks, flat earthers and every other fuckwit. Long as you hate anyone darker than you, it all fits.

Literally the only conspiracy theory that doesn't mesh is Yakub and the white devil race.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I recently got a copy of William Cooper’s Behold a Pale Horse and yikes, conspiracy theory people have always been extremely bigoted. It has the full text of the protocols of the elders of zion right in the middle with nothing changed or added.