Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Maybe they will have a variant in a Build Fighters spin off to put out an incomplete version to the general market!

If I were to paint the inner frame of an IBO kit, would that be a massive issue for fitting it together or attaching the exterior armour? I'm trying to figure the best option besides leaving it untouched. Would I need to mask every peg?

No, just paint it. If it turns out to be a problem during assembly just scrape the paint off the peg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
No IBO frames are great for painting.

Just mask the plugs for the arms and legs where they connect to the torso and you should be sweet.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The stupid piping system on the pg zaku is so goddamn annoying with it's screws. I haven't had a kit aggravate me like this in a long time.

If there's any doubts among people out there, get the 2.0 it's just a better kit.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Monaghan posted:

The stupid piping system on the pg zaku is so goddamn annoying with it's screws. I haven't had a kit aggravate me like this in a long time.

If there's any doubts among people out there, get the 2.0 it's just a better kit.

You're just making me want it even more. I love me some fiddlybits and screws.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
The fuckin' screws and metal pieces in the PG Wing Zero made me give up on the kit after doing the first arm, and I didn't go back to it for several months. Eventually I plowed through and finished it, but more out of spite than anything else.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

You're just making me want it even more. I love me some fiddlybits and screws.

It's not really a fiddly thing though! it's more like you need three hands. See you have to hold a pvc at the end of the spring. Then you have to screw it in. However, you have to make sure that you're stretching the spring, since it won't be able to hold all the pieces of the pipe unless you stretch it!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
BBTS had Figure-rise Krillan, so, getting one of those.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I took another pic that i'm actually quite happy with

Pose is admittedly a bit cliche though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
:siren: HOLY gently caress! You did it! You actually managed a good pose!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

They're here!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
For your next trick, try a solid colored background :v:

Also oh man my friend got his case of the battle cats and half of them are mine and I can't have them yet :cry: (he's bringing them when he visits town)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

That forearm knife thing is the most pointless weapon in Gundam

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Really? Beam spikes on the forearm seem positively normal compared to some of the other poo poo we’ve seen. I mean, they’re beam weapons. It’s not like they need angling or leverage to do damage.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

Really? Beam spikes on the forearm seem positively normal compared to some of the other poo poo we’ve seen. I mean, they’re beam weapons. It’s not like they need angling or leverage to do damage.

They're like six feet long. To actually do serious damage to another MS with beams that short, they'd have to all the way into it. And they're mounted on the back of the forearm. That's like, the worst place. Beams on feet, wrists, knees, even elbows, sure. But on the forearm all they do is turn a forearm bash from a weird useless attack into a potentially dangerous weird attack. But not definitely dangerous, because they're so short and far apart. Like, if you had those beams activated and forearmbashed a zaku head with it, if the head was right in the middle the beams wouldn't even hit.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

The short-rear end knife on the Heavyarms disagrees with your statement

"Guys, we've built this suit to spam the enemy with suppressing fire from no less than three Gatling guns. It will excel at long-range warfare. Did we forget anything?"

"Yeah, a blade that only works at close quarters!"

"Dr. J, you're a loving genius"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MJP posted:

"Guys, we've built this suit to spam the enemy with suppressing fire from no less than three Gatling guns. It will excel at long-range warfare. Did we forget anything?"

It's not really that dumb. Even if your Mobile Suit's built for long-range combat, there's still the outside chance something will get in close to it during a fight.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not really that dumb. Even if your Mobile Suit's built for long-range combat, there's still the outside chance something will get in close to it during a fight.

It seems reasonable to expect that not everyone will wish to fight on your own terms. Plus Heavyarms runs out of ammo in its first appearance.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/zoids_official/status/1039859543520366593

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

"Okay, wait, just get your fast-moving zoid to sit still right at this exact spot under the lowered head of my giant brotonsaurus. Pay no attention to the big armor plates swinging around to encase its head and neck. Okay just sit still - don't look up - aaaaand... gently caress I missed! :cripes:".

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

MJP posted:

At least that has a bit of range, miniscule as it is, that works in the context of motions a humanoid can make. The Moon Gundam's is way worse. And is also a beam boomerang-like thing? Which I think SEED/Destiny established as the stupidest poo poo ever.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

So I'm thinking about buying an MG Strike Gundam because I really dig the cool gatling gun shield thing on the GAT-X105 variant. Problem is, I guess it's out of print or something because none of the big Gunpla sites seem to have any in stock. There's a poo poo ton of them on ebay, however, I really have no way of knowing if it's some kind of lovely knock-off kit or a legitimate one. Is there any other way I can get my hands on this kit and be sure it's actually the real deal?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

So I'm thinking about buying an MG Strike Gundam because I really dig the cool gatling gun shield thing on the GAT-X105 variant. Problem is, I guess it's out of print or something because none of the big Gunpla sites seem to have any in stock. There's a poo poo ton of them on ebay, however, I really have no way of knowing if it's some kind of lovely knock-off kit or a legitimate one. Is there any other way I can get my hands on this kit and be sure it's actually the real deal?

It's on Amazon

As far as I know, knockoffs of just regular Gundam kits aren't really a thing. I've never encountered one, and back in the day I got kits from some shady places.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Straight up knockoffs were a thing for a long while, but eventually those companies either went under of their own accord or transitioned to making proper custom third party kits.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Interesting. It just set off a bunch of red flags when I found a few listings in the $20 range.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

In general, normal kits might become unavailable for a short time, but will get reprinted eventually. They even reprinted all the lovely old 90s Gundam Wing kits recently, which is why they're suddenly available everywhere.

So if you want the IWSP MG, it will definitely show up again in reasonable stock at some point. But that's also one of the original seed MGs, and I'm fairly sure they were not good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

They're like six feet long. To actually do serious damage to another MS with beams that short, they'd have to all the way into it. And they're mounted on the back of the forearm. That's like, the worst place. Beams on feet, wrists, knees, even elbows, sure. But on the forearm all they do is turn a forearm bash from a weird useless attack into a potentially dangerous weird attack. But not definitely dangerous, because they're so short and far apart. Like, if you had those beams activated and forearmbashed a zaku head with it, if the head was right in the middle the beams wouldn't even hit.

I mean, they’re not the primary melee weapons (that’s what the big Sazabi-style sword is for), and forearm strikes aren’t even their primary use (they’re double-ended knives that can also be activated while sheathed). It’s just a little extra feature that can help you out when you’re in a confined space and someone’s behind you.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, they’re not the primary melee weapons (that’s what the big Sazabi-style sword is for), and forearm strikes aren’t even their primary use (they’re double-ended knives that can also be activated while sheathed). It’s just a little extra feature that can help you out when you’re in a confined space and someone’s behind you.

If he tired to use them to stab at someone behind him, there's a good chance he'd just hit his own funnels.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

If he tired to use them to stab at someone behind him, there's a good chance he'd just hit his own funnels.

Those do fold up and swivel out of the way when not needed. If you have enough space to want them deployed, you probably won’t be needing that little extra feature.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

https://hlj.com/product/BAN946728

https://banzaihobby.com/Bandai-Gunpla-MSV-HG01-STRIKE-ROUGE-IWSP

https://banzaihobby.com/plastic-models/character-anime/bandai-gunpla/mg/mg-gat-x105-strike-gundam-iwsp

There's a few more links for you if you want.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Theres also Lukas custom stike:
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10066680

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

my brother is a terrible influence

https://twitter.com/MiniFoo/status/1040062133470355456

Still need to glue the hands together, then mess up the waterslides, then paint it badly... then break it while trying to transform it. Putting it together was easier than I thought it'd be, though.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
This thread is a terrible influence to us all!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well the inevitable happened and they've repurposed the HG GN-X IV from Battlogue for an in universe version. Though of course they're not going to dig up the HG00 series at this stage so it's a PB.

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000128878

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

RillAkBea posted:

Well the inevitable happened and they've repurposed the HG GN-X IV from Battlogue for an in universe version. Though of course they're not going to dig up the HG00 series at this stage so it's a PB.

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000128878

Would probably be more annoyed by a regular release now. Sadly the price isn't just driven up by PB, but also a lot of unused pieces from the base GNX.

They do periodically release Wing kits and such. Hopefully they keep that up, and maybe a Turn X.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/kuromedakaf14/status/1039569976644972544

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's cute.

I built an HGUC Nemo today. It's a bit disappointing in its articulation and the large sticker sheet, but I can't stay mad at it because it looks so pretty. This thing just screams that it is meant to fly really drat fast in one direction.

I only applied the camera stickers and the silver under the orange visor. I think I'll try painting the rest. I know a lot of you guys like to airbrush, but I don't have one, so I think I'll try hand painting the whole thing and masking off the joints.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thin your paints, multiple thin coats.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Midjack posted:

Thin your paints, multiple thin coats.

I've painted my share of Spess Mahrens.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I really wish Bandai would stop acting like LEDs are expensive. 1000 yen for the tiny gunpla LED units and somehow 2000 for the lighting unit that works with the F91. The 2000 one is particularly ridiculous because it's not even some proprietary shape to fit in the model, it's literally just a cheap battery box with some LEDs on wires.

In other F91 news, P-Bandai has a nutso MSV version going up today. Twin VSBRs for a total of 4, or alternatively back cannons with the most 90s, most MSV shoulders ever designed.

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000128218

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

From what I've seen, hobby LED kits, even generic ones from third parties, are really expensive for what they are.

But I've seen gunpla builders freak out about having to solder wires in some of the fancier kits so maybe that's the premium for not taking the 30 seconds to learn how to properly solder a joint.