Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Fangz posted:

Also the "WE'RE GONNA SEND YOU TO THE GULAG!" "oh i mean the nice gulag, gulags are nice, how dare you perceive what i said as a threat" is like prime rear end in a top hat behaviour

Yep this is the important point here. That fluid transition between irony, intimidation, and historical revisionism is basically identical to the way the alt-right were operating five or so years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I should just interject with excerpts from these two ex-pilots arguing with eachother through snail mail about the max safe speed of a Spitfire Mk 1 vs a Hurricane Mk 1 and the difference (and obsolescence) between the latter's Mk I and Mk II vs Bf-109s and general dick-waving of credentials on hours flown with each type.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I wonder where on the scale that whole GULUG/Island colony that collapsed and resorted to desperate barbaric cannibalism is then? a really over the top party?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I should just interject with excerpts from these two ex-pilots arguing with eachother through snail mail about the max safe speed of a Spitfire Mk 1 vs a Hurricane Mk 1 and the difference (and obsolescence) between the latter's Mk I and Mk II vs Bf-109s and general dick-waving of credentials on hours flown with each type.

What's the WWII equiv of furiously mashing F5? Getting blackout drunk?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

What's the WWII equiv of furiously mashing F5? Getting blackout drunk?

Stalking your hobby shop or book store for the latest AEROPLANE MONTHLY magazine and scouring the editorials for bad opinions on that thing you like.

Also, learning to type with a word processor so you can reply EVEN FASTER! :eng101::hist101::science::asoiaf:

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 12, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Trin Tragula posted:

Personally I don't get the appeal of doing all these delightfully-constructed arabesques on the head of a pin to make sure that people know there have definitely been worse things than the GULAG in the world

i enjoyed this post quite a bit

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wonder where on the scale that whole GULUG/Island colony that collapsed and resorted to desperate barbaric cannibalism is then? a really over the top party?

Mortal Book Club

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

quote:

tedious bean counting megacrime olympics

This is a great phrase; I’d say it would make a good thread title, but then it might encourage more of that kind of thing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/lilyslynch/status/1039898232783036418

Kosovo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Doesn't really fit the theme of the rest of the beach boys oeuvre but it's good to travel.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
We interrupt this shitfit about the GULAG Archipelago to bring you an extremely stupid patent from 1913 for defending ships against bombers.

I'll let the rest of you figure out exactly how much is wrong with this proposal.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Oh poo poo! It's so simple!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing that jumps right out is that the netting doesn't seem to be elastic enough to propel the bomb back upwards into the bomber, destroying it for its temerity

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What size of aerial bombs are we talking about in 1913?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Aerial bombs in 1913 were between non-existent and a couple dozen pounds in size, usually the former. Of course, that's irrelevant to that mesh thing working for several reasons.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nenonen posted:

What size of aerial bombs are we talking about in 1913?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Deck fire? Plunging poppycock!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The British actually deployed on real ships a rocket launcher that would fire a small charge of explosive attached by a line to a parachute which would hopefully deploy, hopefully suspending the explosive in the path of a bomber, which would hopefully snag the line and hopefully draw the charge up to it where it would hopefully explode.

If you ask "But that which goes up must come and, mightn't the parachute leads snag on antennas and the like on the ship, requiring someone to climb up and dispose of the bombs?" then you are comfortably smarter than the people in admiralty who thought this was a good idea.

And if you ask "Was Churchill involved in this idea?" then you already know the answer.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Phanatic posted:

The British actually deployed on real ships a rocket launcher that would fire a small charge of explosive attached by a line to a parachute which would hopefully deploy, hopefully suspending the explosive in the path of a bomber, which would hopefully snag the line and hopefully draw the charge up to it where it would hopefully explode.

If you ask "But that which goes up must come and, mightn't the parachute leads snag on antennas and the like on the ship, requiring someone to climb up and dispose of the bombs?" then you are comfortably smarter than the people in admiralty who thought this was a good idea.

And if you ask "Was Churchill involved in this idea?" then you already know the answer.

In World of Warships this is actually somewhat effective, but only when you have a cooldown up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

*me, screaming at my monitor*

You fools! Attach rockets to the nets and shoot them into the bomber's flight path!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Shoot guys on parachutes to hijack the planes and now you got more planes

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phanatic posted:

Yeah I had a whole series of posts about those launchers. You're not supposed to shoot it directly up so that they fall back on the ship, you have them fall to the side.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I first found that mesh patent last night and I'm still coming up with exciting new ways it's a terrible idea all around. I'll list as many as I can think of:

1) It'd take hundreds of man-hours to set that thing up in the first place even while a ship is anchored.
2) Any decent wind would reduce it to wreckage even in harbor.
3) So would a few exploding shells or bombs.
4) Even vibrations from torpedoes or mines would probably do it.
5) Oh hey, it gives no protection whatsoever against airplanes carrying torpedoes.
6) And speaking of protection, it's no help at all against other warships.
7) Or submarines, for that matter.
8) Surface ships and submarines are what a 1913 warship is going to be facing roughly 100% of the time.
9) This thing can't protect against shells.
10) Or torpedoes launched at the ship by things which are not airplanes.
11) Again, a few shells will reduce the mesh and the associated rigamarole to wreckage all over the ship's deck.
12) Dozens of tons of wreckage at a guess.
13) Dozens of tons of burnt and burning elastic fibers and scaffolding all over the deck means the ship can't use it's own turrets because all that poo poo is blocking their operation.
14) At least until you dump it all over the side.
15) In the middle of a battle, which means exposing the crew to enemy shellfire.
16) While the ship can't shoot back.
17) And even if it isn't all over the deck in wreckage, that wrecking is going to gently caress up the ship's gunnery.
18) Because it's all rigged up around the spotting positions at the top of the masts.
19) Which means it obstructs the parts of the ship with the best view of the enemy.
20) Those are the people who are in the best position to make sure the ship's guns can actually hit the enemy.
21) And even outside of a battle it's a pain in the rear end for the ship.
22) Not only is it in the way of the spotting positions, it's a bunch of flammable material.
23) Located right above the funnels.
24) Which are spraying out hot smoke and coal cinders from the engines.
25) In maritime lingo this is called "a huge loving fire hazard".
26) Fires are pretty much the worst thing that can happen aboard a ship. Especially in 1913.
27) Because to fight them in 1913 you need to use water.
28) Maybe even hundreds of gallons of water if the fire gets bad enough.
28) Pumping hundreds of gallons of water onto a ship is bad because, once the fire is out, you have to pump that water back out of the ship again.
29) And there's no guarantee that the fire didn't cause your pumping equipment to get damaged.
30) Besides which, pumping hundreds of gallons of water into a ship is bad for other reasons.
31) Most notably, it can effect the buoyancy of the ship.
32) Buoyancy is why ships float in the first place.
33) If a ship is not a submarine, losing buoyancy is bad news.
34) It is also arguably bad news for a submarine, because they need a reserve of buoyancy to not just sink like a stone.
35) Surface ships without sufficient buoyancy, meanwhile, sink like a stone regardless.
36) A ship that sinks is useless unless you're trying to create an artificial reef.
37) Presumably this mesh poo poo was installed on a ship that wasn't meant to become an artificial reef.
38) Actually, this isn't presumably because artificial reefs weren't a thing in 1913. Not deliberately, anyway.
39) Even if the mesh doesn't catch fire it still alters the stability of a ship because it's tons of metal and other poo poo high above the water.
40) Stability is important for ships because they're rocked back and forth because of how fluids work, and the ocean is a loving fluid.
41) Less stability means a greater risk of capsizing.
42) If a ship capsizes, it sinks. Usually.
43) Even if a capsized warship doesn't sink, it can't do anything. Especially fight in a naval battle.
44) A warship that can't fight in a naval battle is useful for exactly jack and poo poo. Note that this statement intentionally ignores training and accommodation hulks and auxiliary ships like oilers and hospital ships.
45) In any case this stupid mesh thing probably won't keep out bombs anyway because real life is not a Wile E. Coyote cartoon.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Paint the net blue and the planes will just think you’re water

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

some guy took this out of his butt and decided it'd be a good aerial weapon

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Phanatic posted:

:hmmyes:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Paint the net blue and the planes will just think you’re water

No, you attach half a forest worth of vegetation (plus monkeys) and pretend you're an island!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

bewbies posted:

some guy took this out of his butt and decided it'd be a good aerial weapon

pls no kink shaming

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

In fairness to Churchill (and he gets very little in these threads), the British weren't the only ones to try that sort of thing.

It's like what Mahan said when he urged Congress to fund the first USN submarines: their value if successful would be out of proportion to the money spent if they failed.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 12, 2018

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In fairness to Churchill (and he gets very little in these threads), the British weren't the only ones to try that sort of thing.
I'm not seeing anything about explosives strapped to a parachute that you hope the enemy plane entangles with. In fact, shooting up 35 small rockets at it seems like the opposite approach.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I wanna play a crimson skies with barrage bloons badly now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was non-dive bombing ever particularly effective vs warships

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Are the ships moving in this scenario?

If yes, not really.

If no, yes.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

Do air-dropped torpedoes count?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Did anyone try torpedo-dive bombing submarines? :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zoux posted:

Torpedo bombers were terrifying. Torpedoes are much, much better at sinking ships than bombs, doubly so when you have a good torpedo to match like the IJN's long lance. The problem with torpedo bombing is that the bomber is incredibly vulnerable while making their run.

Bombs could cripple ships, occasionally sink them if they got lucky with a secondary explosion (as happened at Midway for the only ship actually sunk by aircraft there), but nothing beat a torpedo bomber for sinking big ships when it came to air attack.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

Do air-dropped torpedoes count?

Not for Net Shield purposes.

In the patent, he says that dropping a bomb down the smokestack was the biggest threat, which I don't think history bore out

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Speaking of torpedos, it's easy to see where the idea for anti-bomb nets stems from.

Now just add a top net and you're ready to fight!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zoux posted:

In the patent, he says that dropping a bomb down the smokestack was the biggest threat, which I don't think history bore out

Historically the main way that aerial bombs sank ships was starting fires that caused secondary explosions in places like magazines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

But if we extend the nets to completely enclose the ship...!

Edit: Nenonen beat me to it.