Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It is, but Ancient Evils is strictly worse for the investigators.

That said, I'm a fan, because while Ancient Evils is important from a design point of view for reasons Lichtenstein stated, it is also wildly swingy in scenario's where:
a) there's enough doom in the encounter deck that you can advance an agenda in the first turn, such as on Essex County Express. Especially when this results in you getting murdered and with there being nothing you can realistically do about it, like in ECE.
b) there's reshuffles of the encounter deck as part of scenario text (usually on the B side of agendas). There's such a huge difference between games where you draw all 3 Ancient Evils before the shuffle and games where you draw none.

I really wonder if Ancient Evils would have worked as a card if it said "Check the Doom threshold vs all Doom in play, if it is reached, AE gains surge. Add 1 Doom to the Agenda." with no agenda advance text.

Edit:
Thinking about it some more Resurgent Evils is actually a pretty big buff for Delve Too Deep. Provided we're not on death's door the only consideration for if/how many Delve Too Deeps to play is "what's the concentration of Ancient Evils in the encounter deck vs how far are we from that last doom threshold?". Generally on that last turn you can take quite a few cards from the encounter deck because enemies and encounter cards which try to hamper your progress (rather than directly try to damage you) won't do anything at all.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
The Arkham/Lovecraftian universe is supposed to be hard and lovely for humans.

Ancient Evils fits this universe just fine.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Quoting myself from my Dunwich trip report five months ago :

quote:

Stole the luggage (perhaps in Return to the Essex County Express, this will matter).

Anticipation intensifies.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Spoilers are on cardgamedb.

Sacrifice looks real good. The BAR is the ultimate flexible weapon also, and is amazing if you have access to Rogue cards.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also the ancient stone finally got an upgrade! They both look pretty nice, as well.

Too late for me to put them in my Ursula deck, though :(

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Just chunked a BAR and some Custom Ammunition into my Zoey deck heading into Undimensioned and Unseen. Never played it before! Hoping to put some bullets into some Dunwich demons.

I've been playing Dunwich Legacy two-handed with Zoey and Ursula. Ursula's play style is making it really hard for me to imagine going back to any of the other Seekers... I got Charon's Obol early and now I'm struggling to find upgrades to try out.

I'd also heard a bit how Dunwich is kinda lacking in comparison to Carcosa and now Forgotten Age. I'm trying not to let that color my judgment. So far I've enjoyed Extracurricular Activity, The Essex County Express and Blood on the Altar the most. Very interested to see how Return to Dunwich spices up the scenarios.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm really having fun with Ursula, yeah. And I've still only drawn Jake once (and didn't even have a chance to play him in that game) :lol:

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

IcePhoenix posted:

Also the ancient stone finally got an upgrade! They both look pretty nice, as well.

Too late for me to put them in my Ursula deck, though :(

I'm glad they went with the "shroud difficulty = number of charges" route

Now to pump one up to 14 charges with a Double or Nothing :getin:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

bobvonunheil posted:

I'm glad they went with the "shroud difficulty = number of charges" route

Now to pump one up to 14 charges with a Double or Nothing :getin:

Out of curiosity, I checked to see if it was possible to mostly guarantee that you manage this, and it turns out Minh can take Stroke of Luck. I'm starting a new campaign with some friends tomorrow night and I kind of want to make this a personal goal now.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Ended up going with a starter version of the Sefina deck I used for Labyrinths of Lunacy, slightly tweaked. We did the first scenario for Return to the Night of the Zealot, ended up with 8xp.

Looking over Sefina's options, I took a closer look at Suggestion and realized it doesn't require charges for the Evade action portion of the spell, just the damage-cancelling reaction. Once it's out, it effectively gives Sefina a base of 8 for straight Evade actions. :psyduck:

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 21, 2018

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Ended up going with a starter version of the Sefina deck I used for Labyrinths of Lunacy, slightly tweaked. We did the first scenario for Return to the Night of the Zealot, ended up with 8xp.

Looking over Sefina's options, I took a closer look at Suggestion and realized it doesn't require charges for the Evade action portion of the spell, just the damage-cancelling reaction. Once it's out, it effectively gives Sefina a base of 8 for straight Evade actions. :psyduck:

Yeah, they need to patch it to be removed when there's no charges left. Possibly a few cards like that.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Wazzu posted:

Yeah, they need to patch it to be removed when there's no charges left. Possibly a few cards like that.

It's been out long enough without being changed/corrected that I think they actually meant for it to work that way. There aren't that many investigators that can utilize it as well as she can, anyway.

Now I just wish it had better card art.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wazzu posted:

All those cards are intended to work that way.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Does anybody use a play mat, or other kind of surface when playing? I'm talking about a big, shared thing for the locations, agenda and act decks and so on.

I see FFG has a big mat for the game, but that's way too busy for my taste. I would be interested in a mat with a simpler motif and not too many colors. Something to set the mood while being a soft playing surface. Might consider just getting a thick table cloth.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

uncle blog posted:

Does anybody use a play mat, or other kind of surface when playing? I'm talking about a big, shared thing for the locations, agenda and act decks and so on.

I see FFG has a big mat for the game, but that's way too busy for my taste. I would be interested in a mat with a simpler motif and not too many colors. Something to set the mood while being a soft playing surface. Might consider just getting a thick table cloth.

I got a bunch of MDF things from eBay to hold locations and such for when I get about to re-reading the rules and playing it with a friend.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I have the "Lost in Time and Space" mat and it's very pretty and cool. While I wouldn't probably buy it myself (it was a gift), I quite enjoy having it. It's pretty, prevents cards from sliding when you try to pick them up and having clearly marked personal space helps with some organizational stuff, like laying out Sefina's bank of cards. I would avoid ones with clearly designated slots - because once you play cards like Charisma, Mitch Brown or scenarios like Threads of Fate it all goes to hell.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I’m considering having this printed on a game mat, but probably without the tentacle. Or I might just go cheap and buy some felt table cloth.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Go big or go home: it's really more about aesthetics, swag and perhaps some tactile pleasure than any real quality of life improvement.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Just go to the next Invocation,, you will get cards and a playmat for like $20.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I have the FFG 1-4 player mat, and I love it for solo (and maybe duo) play. I don't think I'd actually use it for 3-4 player games just because it's slightly too big and awkward for four people around it. Each time I've done 3-4 people, everyone has either had their own personal mat, or we just played without mats.

A player at my store's Labyrinths of Lunacy event had one of the configurations of this mat printed on neoprene and it looked really great. Not sure how useful it is, but it sure looked cool and I kind of want to get one of my own printed.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I have the big FFG mat, and most of our group also has individual mats (as well as the team covenant holders). We actually grabbed one of the patterns of etsy and had that printed. It has slots for everything, but it works decently enough as there's also a generic area for everything.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Has anybody read stories by H.P. Lovecraft? I read that Dunwich Horror is closely tied to the Dunwich Legacy campaign. I'm unsure if reading the book beforehand would give me a deeper appreciation of what happens in the game, or if it would simply spoil many of the events (even though the game has multiple paths through the story).

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

At the end of the Dunwich Legacy campaign notes they say something about how they didn't want to recreate the Dunwich Horror story, but instead they made DL as a kind of follow-up to it. The events of DH are referenced in a lot of ways in DL but it's about a separate incident.

Lovecraft's stories are all available online for free so I read some of DH a while ago and it was kind of interesting to see how it influenced the campaign story. I wouldn't say anything was a spoiler unless you count mentioning place names or monsters that appear as such.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Sefina is super fun.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Behold, spoilered cards. There's some super fun stuff in here.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/aBc5P3T

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

This is probably the weirdest pack of cards so far. There's some real stumpers in there.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Why would I ever use blood eclipse?

Is it just another way to kill the arcane initiate before doom ticks over?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

KPC_Mammon posted:

Why would I ever use blood eclipse?

Is it just another way to kill the arcane initiate before doom ticks over?

I rarely find myself under threat to my health as a guardian, just threat to my brain. If you are playing as Zoey, it's practically pay 1, pay 3 health that you don't give a gently caress about, get a 7 fight that deals 4 damage.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 29, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Wazzu posted:

I rarely find myself under threat to my health as a guardian, just threat to my brain. If you are playing as Zoey, it's practically "pay 1, pay 3 health that you don't give a gently caress about, get a 7 fight that deals 4 damage.

Fair enough. It seems overpriced in terms of XP compared to something like a lightning gun but the resource cost being extremely low, and guardians usually being extremely poor, might make up for it. I'd be interested to see if an event heavy Guardian becomes more viable down the road, as opposed to the more typical asset based Guardian decks.

I want to add Winging It and Feed the Mind to my Minh deck, along with the upgraded stone. Those cards look great but I should actually look at the probabilities for FtM before committing.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 29, 2018

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
My take on the player cards (I mostly play on hard, so keep that in mind):

Handcuffs
Interesting card. I like that it has the "police" trait, something that Police Badge doesn't have :D
The effect of the card is almost as if you killed the enemy, but remove it from the game instead of discarding it. It could also have interesting side effects for cards that say, "place 1 doom on the nearest cultist" in which case that fizzles because of handcuffs. The "humanoid" requirement is of course limiting, but a search on arkhamdb gives 67 hits (Monsters 73), so you should be able to find a target.

In the end think this card might be hard to find slots for, but maybe you can squeeze in a 1-of?

Blood Eclipse
Another interesting card. 3XP locks it into the Guardian faction, which in general has good but not great willpower. While not a high priority target, I can definitely see uses for it. For example, run it with Brother Xavier, let him eat the damage and dish out 4+2=6 damage for a single action and a resource(this kills him before the test though, so his willpower boost won't contribute to the test). Good for Carolyn Fern as well, since she hasn't got access to weapons. Reaching willpower 6-7 will require some additional boost since you probably won't use this on low-level mobs, but one or two icons more should put you in range to use this. Marie Lambeau can possibly use it as well.

Feed the Mind
In isolation this seems like quite a good card. Arcane slot is usually free for non-mystics, intellect tests shouldn't be a problem in for Seekers. In practice however, this card is at conflict with Higher Education, since you almost always want to be at 5+ cards in your hand. Still, the card has uses if you spend/discard your cards or you draw into it early. It's probably best in gators which cannot take Higher Ed, again Marie could probably play this card.

Colt Vest Pocket
5 ammo and not even fast? If you play this normally you only have 2 actions at +1 combat and +1 damage. This is yet another crappy weapon in the Rogue faction, which has a hard time to get combat boosts and have investigators with really low base combat. Unless this weapon get some interesting combo cards to play with it, it's binder fodder.

Coup de Grâce
A decent option to Overpowered, I think. Has 2 combat icons and may triggers a card draw, but on other conditions. 2r for a damage is not cheap, but testless damage is good. If you manage to trigger the card draw effect then that's an OK action to take.

Skeleton Key
Good, but slow. Disables some treachery cards entirely, like Obscuring Fog, but doesn't work with Flashlight and Lantern. In 3/4-player games, this card can help non-cluefinders find clues. Also great with Lola. All in all, I like it, but you probably need an investigator with access to extra actions or free movement.

Mists of R'lyeh
4XP for an extra charge, willpower icon and +3 willpower to test. I like Mists(0), but there's probably a lot more interesting cards to spend your XP on.

Winging It
Seems like a solid card. You can't combine it with Duke or Lockpicks, since they trigger separate tests, but it works with Newspaper. If you have a card draw engine that can discard cards for benefits, this seems like a solid inclusion. Any card that gives multiple clues is worth looking at.

Old Hunting Rifle
Finally a decent high-level weapon in Survivors. Seems like a must-include in Yorick. Silas could also use it I guess, but probably prefers Ornate Bow. +3 combat even pushes it to a decent combat option for Dark Horse Pete. You'll have to live with that it jams on 20% on your attempts. Or play Will to Survive.

Thermos
Expensive healing option, both in resources and in actions. Good if you have actually suffered the trauma. Mystics might want to keep an extra eye on this, since with 2xArcane Research at start, they already qualify for the bonus horror heal.

Hemispheric Map
Now this is interesting. 3XP for a 2-cost accessory that might boost your stats. 4 connections is probably quite rare, but 2 connections should be quite common. But the problem is that the stat boost is conditional, which means that you cannot rely on it. This makes me think that it isn't suited for Mystics (which need the willpower boost) unless they run Relic Hunter, but might be useful for investigators like Skids, that can benefit from both Will and Intellect boost, but doesn't depend on them. Could also benefit Seekers, since they use their intellect often and currently doesn't have a clear candidate for their accessory slot.

Timeworn Brand
A good, expensive weapon. It's single-handed which just makes it a strict upgrade to Machete, which we all know is really good. 3r Machete + 1r Reliable + 1r for super attack/Machete weakness removal seems like a good price. The problem is of course going to be the 5XP to buy it in the first place. Just like Ornate Bow, the fact that it's neutral and available to all investigators probably means we'll see it in some builds, maybe Survivors for example, since they have so few items to spend their XP on.

Now tell me where I'm wrong :)

Zerf fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 29, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Some further thoughts:

Handcuffs
Handcuffs is a campaign dependent card. If you start off fighting a bunch of cultists or criminals then it can take out a big-ish dude (Wizard of the Order is a great target) relatively painlessly and prevent that dude from ever showing up again (more relevant in 4 player). Obviously as the campaign progresses and you start fighting more monsters this is a good card to replace with an XP card. Might be a good card for Adaptable Skids or Leo? Slot it in when cultists show up.

Blood Eclipse
Combos with some more fringe (but not bad) Guardian cards like Police Badge and Brother Xavier and pushes a Guardian Willpower sub-theme. That's not a strong theme yet, but I'm very interested to see what other cards we'll get in that direction.

Thermos
Agnes + 2x Arcane Research + Thermos can do some filthy things.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My group just finished Dunwich Legacy today (the last scenario was a bit disappointing, I think) and I was considering trying out Calvin for my next deck and boy oh boy does thermos look incredible for him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Building a Calvin deck is hard

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

IcePhoenix posted:

Building a Calvin deck is hard

A solution in search of a problem.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

dexefiend posted:

A solution in search of a problem.

I don't know what this means in this case :v:

I saw an interesting build that eschews the use of any events at all for him, which is an interesting idea. It certainly makes it very easy to run Dark Horse and Fire Axe in that case, which I had been trying to work into the deck but was probably going to cut. My big worry there is that I want to run Perseverance in the deck, since you're meant to be pushing the boundaries of health/sanity, which would protect me from a particularly nasty failure of some sort, but needing to hold two resources for it leaves Dark Horse out.

Scion3872
Apr 21, 2010
Two friends of mine want to try the game before possibly getting their own set. What would be three characters that work well together, but have as little overlap in cards as possible?

Ideally I'd like at least one of these be easy for a beginner, as one of them has the LOTR card game, so he should be fine with a little complexity.

I have a full collection, so no restrictions there.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Give them a Guardian + Seeker pair, while you make an all-rounder from another color of your preference so you can swoop in and fix their newbie mistakes while also having them still feel important due to the necessity of their specialization to bust bosses/high-shroud locations.

Preferably give the Seeker a bit of a supporting spin and ensure the Guardian has tools to either snoop a few clues or easily tank poo poo for others - you don't want them overspecialized in killing/investigating so they always have something to do even if their core role isn't needed at the moment.

While the third character, meant for you, is a very flexible choice based on what cards aren't used by the other two off-classing, try to avoid elaborate combo characters like Wendy or Calvin - just grab someone like Lola or Pete so that your poo poo is easily understandable.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

While the third character, meant for you, is a very flexible choice based on what cards aren't used by the other two off-classing, try to avoid elaborate combo characters like Wendy or Calvin - just grab someone like Lola or Pete so that your poo poo is easily understandable.

Have you played Lola? Easily understandable isn't exactly how I'd describe anything about her. I've never seen an investigator with so many rules questions and non-intuitive card interactions. She is also a card hog who isn't going to be good with whatever is leftover after making two other decks.

Pete is good advice. Jenny is pretty versatile as well. Depending on which guardian/seeker combo you go with Sefina could have access to the tools she needs without worrying about card overlap.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I've meant Jenny, obviously! Lola is peak jank and runs contrary to what I've been meaning to convey.

I also keep mistakenly Wendy and Daisy all the time for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Can confirm: Suggestion for Sefina is bonkers good.