Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

1) I don't know what a PAC code number is, but you should be able to just swap SIMs.

2) No idea. Given that in the US it's midnight PT, I doubt it's midnight everywhere.

3) They've offered that in the past. No guarantees it will be the case here, but likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This’ll also be my first close-to-launch purchase. Is there gonna be a line around the store and no stock for a month or has that poo poo cooled down in the last 5 or so years?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

1) I don't know what a PAC code number is, but you should be able to just swap SIMs.

PAC stands for Portable Account Code and is what we use to switch numbers between phone contracts in the UK (EU?), you just request it from your current provider and give it to your new one. You don’t need it for just putting your SIM in a new unlocked phone.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rolo posted:

This’ll also be my first close-to-launch purchase. Is there gonna be a line around the store and no stock for a month or has that poo poo cooled down in the last 5 or so years?
There haven't been significant lines in the last couple of years unless you're in London or NYC or something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is this sort of thing legal? I've never used the AUP program before, but if my wife and I are both planning on getting new phones this year, and we could save $500 by just renting a mailbox at the UPS store in Delaware and then driving to pick it up, I'm totally down for that.

Of course, I guess I could also just reserve it for pickup at the Apple Store in Delaware and then not have to pay for the mailbox, but avoiding the Apple Store on iPhone release day is preferred.

It’s one of those things that I think you would be required to report on your state tax returns, but no one does. That being said, driving to Delaware is a lot less inconspicuous than renting a mailbox or something.

iPhone release days haven’t been as crazy as 4-5 years ago. This one may have more demand than the 8, but Apple and the carriers all seem to have it down pretty well.

Rolo posted:

There won’t be that many lines, but mileage will vary. There always seems to be one phone that gets back ordered, so itll likely depend on if you want the top of the line iPhone XS+ or just an iPhone XS.

Keep in mind if the XS is basically a souped up iPhone X, they may have more parts for it than a XS+, so Apple legit sometimes has trouble keeping up if it’s new parts.

I’m betting on small lines in the mornings when inventory comes in for a few weeks.

But again, we’ll know more tomorrow.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 11, 2018

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

That’s for the answers goons. I’m hoping the white XS will be less in demand than a gold XSULTRAMAX

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is this sort of thing legal? I've never used the AUP program before, but if my wife and I are both planning on getting new phones this year, and we could save $500 by just renting a mailbox at the UPS store in Delaware and then driving to pick it up, I'm totally down for that.

Of course, I guess I could also just reserve it for pickup at the Apple Store in Delaware and then not have to pay for the mailbox, but avoiding the Apple Store on iPhone release day is preferred.
Last I checked, Apple will only send phones to the address on your credit card or phone line account (it's one or the other, I can't remember).

E: Where the gently caress do you live with 25% sales tax?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Last I checked, Apple will only send phones to the address on your credit card or phone line account (it's one or the other, I can't remember).

E: Where the gently caress do you live with 25% sales tax?

Yeah this.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Endless Mike posted:

Whenever iOS 12 releases, so probably Monday.

Unlikely. Would expect it TestFlight by now if that was the case.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Isn’t the/a typical release something like GM release tomorrow and full public release next Wednesday or so?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

fourwood posted:

Isn’t the/a typical release something like GM release tomorrow and full public release next Wednesday or so?

Yep. Maybe Thursday for the GM.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

OldSenileGuy posted:

In most states legally you'd still owe "use tax" on the phone if you buy it in a state with a lower or no sales tax, payable on April 15 along with your income tax. Also owed when you order from an out-of-state mail-order seller who doesn't charge sales tax.

Nobody generally pays use tax unless it's on an a huge-ticket item that the state can easily track like a plane or something you need to register with the state like a car or boat where they can demand proof of tax before registration.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I moved to Maryland recently, so I could attempt to get a phone in Delaware. However, I would probably do the installment plan through ATT if they have a good promotion. I don’t recall but I believe sales tax is assessed when I first get the phone, so this strategy should still work, right?

edit: On a $700 phone I would only save $30 after gas not including the 4 hour round trip n/m

fourwood posted:

but it’s probably kinda like how nobody pays sales tax on their Amazon purchases even though they’re legally required to
Amazon has been charging sales tax for like 3 years now.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 12, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

XS max lmao

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I'm not sure who said it earlier, but whoever said we were at "2012 levels of Android device naming" was spot loving on.

What awful names.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I moved to Maryland recently, so I could attempt to get a phone in Delaware. However, I would probably do the installment plan through ATT if they have a good promotion. I don’t recall but I believe sales tax is assessed when I first get the phone, so this strategy should still work, right?

edit: On a $700 phone I would only save $30 after gas not including the 4 hour round trip n/m

Amazon has been charging sales tax for like 3 years now.

You are correct. Tax is based off of wherever the location purchased is. When you order something, taxed is based off the shipping address. So if you’re in Maryland, ship to Delaware, $0 tax. If you’re in Maryland, and you ship to someone in California, California tax (state and any local tax if applicable).

For me tax in frickin Missouri is about 10% because it’s state and local tax, but given I’m trading in this year I’ll probably end up just paying it and be done with it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Is there a keynote thread?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Over There posted:

Nope!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

There oughtta be!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ugh I’m gonna be delayed when this thing airs, is there a link I can go to to see the keynote from the beginning without getting spoilers?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Rolo posted:

Ugh I’m gonna be delayed when this thing airs, is there a link I can go to to see the keynote from the beginning without getting spoilers?

It's almost always simulcast on YouTube by various sites, and YouTube lets you scrub back through live streams.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cook kills Jobsledore.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
lmao iphone keynote "spoilers" good lord

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I am going to be in for an Xs+, but I really hope we get the AirPower charge mat and AirPods 2 today. AirPods have been my favorite Apple device since the iPad, and maintaining two bedside chargers for my watch and phone, and then charging the AirPod case on the phone charger after the phone is fully charged is a bit cumbersome.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 12, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

lmao iphone keynote "spoilers" good lord

He’s not exactly wrong trying to catch up via live blogs or threads is kinda terrible. It’s much easier to just watch it and see what was said vs skimming through 50 posts of

“Lol that looks dumb!” “Give us the price”

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Is it pronounced "XS Max" or "Ten S Max" or "Extra Small Max" ?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

He’s not exactly wrong trying to catch up via live blogs or threads is kinda terrible. It’s much easier to just watch it and see what was said vs skimming through 50 posts of

“Lol that looks dumb!” “Give us the price”

Just catch up by going to the front page of any tech news site and reading the headlines. They all post articles during the keynote as stuff is announced, for precisely this reason.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Not to mention you can always watch the keynote afterwards on Apple's site but I presume he didn't want to try that because obviously going to Apple.com after the event, you're gonna be blasted right away with whatever is new, hence "spoilers."

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

TyrantWD posted:

AirPods have been my favorite Apple device since the iPad,

I know it's not gonna happen today, but I'm holding off on AirPods until they make them in black. I've always disliked how they looked in white, and once I saw someone wearing a custom set of them in Black, and they looked great.

DO IT APPLE

Weedle
May 31, 2006

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Not to mention you can always watch the keynote afterwards on Apple's site but I presume he didn't want to try that because obviously going to Apple.com after the event, you're gonna be blasted right away with whatever is new, hence "spoilers."

I guess if someone really wants to sit through two hours of Tim Cook talking about how many billions of dollars Apple made this year before someone else shows up to wax poetic about “what even is... a phone??” then go wild I suppose. Seems like a waste of time when you could get all the relevant info in five minutes of reading, but then again I don’t have a good answer for why I bother to watch entire soccer games when I could just look up the score at the end.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AirPower release date leaked 2077

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Weedle posted:

Just catch up by going to the front page of any tech news site and reading the headlines. They all post articles during the keynote as stuff is announced, for precisely this reason.

I’m gonna be sitting in an airport with just my phone so I’d rather just watch a video of the guy talking about it without having to pick around articles. I also didn’t want to come in halfway through it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Rolo posted:

I’m gonna be sitting in an airport with just my phone so I’d rather just watch a video of the guy talking about it without having to pick around articles. I also didn’t want to come in halfway through it.

Apple does a podcast of the live events, but it doesn’t upload the video for many hours after the event. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/apple-keynotes/id275834665?mt=2

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
What's going to be the "One more thing"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Over There posted:

What's going to be the "One more thing"

The extra hundred every phone is going to cost because of tariffs.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Site not updated yet?

E: Live now.

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2018/

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Over There posted:

Lol what for, everything has leaked already

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Lol what for, everything has leaked already

Uh, everyone arguing about which phone is worth it, what colors to get on the budget phone, if the gold is appropriate for men in a. Business work place, and if their new headphones that cost $200 are worth it (spoiler alert, they will be). :boom:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Keynote going well https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/1039919027462668288?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

do they sound any better than the buds that come with the iphones?