Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

You want to dump it to another track in the session or something? Just crank up your buffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

muckswirler posted:

You want to dump it to another track in the session or something? Just crank up your buffer.

Ok, I will try upping the buffer since at this point, latency won't be an issue. I just want to be able to hear the effects of the mastering chain without the pops and crackles. I wasn't planning on dumping the master output to another track in the session, just exporting the full audio to mp3 to send to a buddy for feedback.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I don't know how ozone 8 is but back around version 5 the higher quality tube saturation was really hungry, and there were more efficient ones you could choose from that made a noticeable difference in cpu usage.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I went from not using an audio interface (just using my laptop by itself) to getting an audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett Solo) back at the end of June when I was finishing up mastering my new album because Ozone 8 was causing my DSP to fill up and Reason would flat out refuse to play songs because my computer was too slow. Getting the audio interface didn't help at all :shepicide:

I played around with the buffer and that didn't help either. Also switched to an ASIO driver when I got the audio interface, which didn't seem to make a difference either. I have a pretty decent laptop (an i7 with 16GB of RAM) and no other VST does that to me, just Ozone. I don't know if Reason is really poorly optimized or Ozone is, but it just refused to cooperate consistently. Certain Ozone modules like the Maximizer were less taxing, but stuff like the Vintage Tape? Forget about it.

I think I ended up having to listen to snippets while I could (before Reason refused to play any more), make the adjustments I needed to and just disable Ozone until I was ready to bounce the track and then re-enable it, because for whatever reason, bouncing with Ozone enabled is fine but playing the track with it enabled isn't???

If it's a Reason issue, I fuckin' hope they patch it soon so that it isn't, because otherwise I'm just gonna have the exact same problems with whatever the next project I work on is.

K-EJ
Nov 19, 2006
Want Softube Vol. 1 bundle for a good price? Sweetwater.com has it on clearance for $199 boxed. The is the perpetual license, so you own all the plugins. I ordered it earlier this week and just received it and was a bit skeptical that I may have accidentally bought the 12 month license. Nope!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
8DIO library for Kontakt - full version only! - for $28.

https://8dio.com/instrument/the-new-rhythmic-aura-1-for-kontakt-vst-au-aax-samples/

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I tried Ozone again after freezing/flattening all of my tracks and it seemed to run a lot better through mastering assistant. But I ran into another problem that I was hoping someone could explain. Ozone goes through the steps of Mastering assistant and checks off each while my track is playing and after the last step, it sounds MUCH louder and the accept button becomes enabled. But when I click Accept, the volume drops down to barely audible. In looking at Ozone, it appears the EQ and dynamic EQ are high-passing the poo poo out of the mix because I noticed massive amounts of gain reduction on those modules. I have no idea why it sounds great until I hit accept and the settings go nuts.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 7, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Shameless bump to see if anyone has any ideas on my issue above with Ozone 8. Tried it again last night and the same thing happened.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
This doesn't happen with my copy. Updated to latest?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Rusty Kettle posted:

This doesn't happen with my copy. Updated to latest?

Yah I literally just purchased it and installed it last Friday. I tested it out and everything worked fine the first time but now it’s throwing a fit after accepting the mastering assistant mods.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

If I had to guess I'd say you have some sort of 'key listen' or 'gain matching' mode turned on which reverts all your settings backwards when you hit accept or you're doing something weird with an m/s decoder? Idk I don't have ozone 8. Did you rtfm?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

muckswirler posted:

If I had to guess I'd say you have some sort of 'key listen' or 'gain matching' mode turned on which reverts all your settings backwards when you hit accept or you're doing something weird with an m/s decoder? Idk I don't have ozone 8. Did you rtfm?

I haven't touched a single parameter inside of Ozone except hitting "Mastering Assistant", going through those steps, and then hitting accept. This was my second time even opening it and like I mentioned, this worked perfectly the first time I used it and I didn't do anything different the next time. When the mastering assistant completes, I can see the modules (eq, compression, dynamic eq, maximizer) and their parameters in the background and it sounds like it is mastered (ie MUCH louder). As soon as I Accept those changes, the module parameters seem to completely change, causing a massive reduction in overall volume even compared to the mix.

I didn't see anything in the manual that would explain what is going on. I sent a support request to iZotope but haven't heard back. I just had an idea I want to try when I get home but maybe another Ozone user would know. Do I need to run the iZotope activation software in the background to use the full version? I thought that once I had activated it the first time, I wouldn't have to do that, but that is the only thing I can think of that was different between my attempts.

EDIT: Running the iZotope Portal fixed the issue. It's a bit annoying that I need to run it to be able to use the plugin but not that big of a deal. Also, freezing and flattening all of my tracks before using Ozone fixed the CPU issues I was having and I didn't even need to adjust the buffer size.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 8, 2018

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
FYI, Arturia is having a 50% off sale on all synths, not collections though.
https://www.arturia.com/past-to-the-future

e: god those samples are terrible. Why do they have to drown everything in effects?

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 30, 2018

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Oldstench posted:

FYI, Arturia is having a 50% off sale on all synths, not collections though.
https://www.arturia.com/past-to-the-future

e: god those samples are terrible. Why do they have to drown everything in effects?

Weird, how did I miss the V6 release? Apparently it came out last year? I had no idea they did a Fairlight package. (That's the only new one in V6 I'm kind of itching for.) Tempting!

K-EJ
Nov 19, 2006
Ozone 8 Elements for free if you sign up for a newsletter and buy a $1 item. Just get the Boz little clipper for $1 right now after you sign up for the newsletter. https://www.pluginboutique.com/articles/1392

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

http://cdm.link/2018/09/native-instruments-massive-x-komplete/

massive x is real

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
No mention of MPE in Kontakt 6, which is disappointing.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Feb 2019 for Massive

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've been resisting the urge to upgrade to Komplete 11 from 8 for a couple of years now. Looks like it'll finally pay off. Massive X, Kontakt 6? Yes please. Hopefully they do a summer sale on upgrades like usual.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd be surprised (but pleasantly so) if K12 goes on sale that soon after release. If not, though, maybe for Christmas 2019?

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
drat got a tempting email this morning offering the Academic bundle of Soundtoys 5 for $179 but when I try to buy it now you have to be a music educator; can't be any old academic who just likes making music in your spare time

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

What the gently caress... there are two levels of Komplete Ultimate now? Ultimate and Ultimate Collector's Edition?
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-12-ultimate-collectors-edition/

This is pretty lame (for me, personally) because I own all the expansions already... but I'd still need to get the Collector's Edition to get some of the instruments now not included in "regular" Ultimate.

EDIT: Oh, scratch that. The only diff between the two ultimates is the number of expansions. I'm fine with that.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-12-ultimate-collectors-edition/compare/

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Well hopefully the rumors that it's gonna be a real complete rework of Massive are true, because it's so far behind the curve of Serum that I can't really see the point upgrading if it doesn't have at least the same features.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

What was the DAW that got bought up and re-released as a free product recently?
I want to help a mans learn a thing and am looking at options.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

What was the DAW that got bought up and re-released as a free product recently?
I want to help a mans learn a thing and am looking at options.

I think it was Sonar.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

yeah it's called bandlab now

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

muckswirler posted:

yeah it's called bandlab now

And maaaaaaaaaaan does it suck on mobile. I don't know really what I expected overall, but being able to edit MIDI data was the least that they could've provided, and last time I checked, you couldn't.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

i dl'd it a while back just for kicks and cakewalk's pretty convoluted for that type of daw. i'm just too used to live these days i guess. idk if it's better than, say, reaper or whatever. the per channel tube emulation is nice but yeah the mobile version of bandlab is not great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Reason on mobile was just released...

... for iOS :smith:

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

muckswirler posted:

it's called bandlab

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is currently on sale for $29!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j-p8xyoLlI

Unf.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

The guy who wrote the awesome referencing plugin Magic AB for SampleMagic has written a roided-up new incarnation called MetricAB for Plugin Alliance.
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/adptr_metricab.html

It does everything Magic AB does, with the addition of real LUFS loudness comparisons and a ton of new spectrum analysis options. Magic AB is one of those plugs I automatically insert on the master bus of every track, and I'm GASsing over MetricAB rn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQp1ElWTT8I

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Arturia V Collection 6 is half off on the Native Instruments site right now:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/komplete/arturia-offer-2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

treasureplane posted:

Arturia V Collection 6 is half off on the Native Instruments site right now:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/komplete/arturia-offer-2018

I am seriously considering this right now. One of the things I feel like I am missing in my productions is a better library of sounds/instruments. I am mostly using stock Ableton instruments for stuff like basslines, strings, horns, piano, keys, and synths and while the sounds aren't bad, there aren't a ton of options that seem to fit well with my style of hip-hop. $250 seems like a steal for all of those instruments because the other option I was looking at was Komplete 12, which is a LOT more expensive.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Does anyone else have Softube Modular? I bought it, and some addons, last November, and every time I load it up, I get overwhelmed and if I do make a patch, it comes out as boring old robot farts. I have watched a few of the VSTs In Depth videos, but I just can't seem to do anything interesting with it. I still feel compelled to buy a bunch of modules this November during the black friday sales for some stupid reason... thank goodness this isn't an actual modular synth!!

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Not sure how you all feel about Waves, but their Abbey Road TG mastering chain is $40 right now. I've just been working with it for a few hours, and it has a very natural feel, it's easy to get good results.

I'm not a mastering engineer, and I'm sure this is a toy compared to actual mastering hardware, but for $40 bucks I'd say it's worth it, even if it's just for getting better sounding bounces.

https://www.waves.com/plugins/abbey-road-tg-mastering-chain#presenting-abbey-road-mastering-chain

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I ended up buying the Arturia V Collection with the 50% discount and HO-LEE poo poo. The first thing I did was load up the MiniMoog Model D and even the default sound was incredible. The sound quality is really impressive and even after barely browsing through the presets, I was floored by how much amazing stuff there is. Gonna really need to spend time organizing presets but I am really excited to make some music with these instruments.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Love the Arturia stuff. Last time I played with it in Bitwig it was running like poo poo though, to the point where I could hardly use it. Anyone else having that experience?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

MrSargent posted:

I ended up buying the Arturia V Collection with the 50% discount and HO-LEE poo poo. The first thing I did was load up the MiniMoog Model D and even the default sound was incredible. The sound quality is really impressive and even after barely browsing through the presets, I was floored by how much amazing stuff there is. Gonna really need to spend time organizing presets but I am really excited to make some music with these instruments.

Yeah, you can really use that for anything. Flip on poly mode and it's even more versatile. For a long time that was the only VST synth I would ever use and it never felt limited.

Just an offer, but if anyone wants an old freeware version of DiscoDSPs Highlife sampler I pulled the .dll off an old computer. It's only for purchase now as Bliss and you can't find it anywhere for free. Pretty useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHR9XqWjfKw

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

Grats, the V Collection owns :yeah: So many incredibly good and cheesy instruments

Trig Discipline posted:

Love the Arturia stuff. Last time I played with it in Bitwig it was running like poo poo though, to the point where I could hardly use it. Anyone else having that experience?
I'm using Bitwig (old version, never bought 2 and still angry about it) and I haven't had that problem at all, even slightly. Are you using a really, really old computer? Which plugins did you have problems with?

The only plugin I have that really chews up my CPU is Serum, especially patches that other people have made :v: I bought the Coda preset pack and some of those presets with all the effects on them and stuff use more CPU on a single note than some of my songs with like 10 tracks :whitewater: