Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Holy poo poo y’all I never thought I’d live to see the day.

Lincoln Towing has lost their license to operate!

For those of you unfamiliar with Chicago, Lincoln Towing has been such a scourge on the city for so long there was a folk song written about their lovely business practices back in the 1970s. They have long been considered untouchable because of corruption and probable mob ties. This is like just below ‘Cubs win the World Series’ on the list of ‘poo poo that will never happen but Chicagoans really wish would.’

Oh God, the world really is gonna end soon isn’t it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Oracle posted:

For those of you unfamiliar with Chicago, Lincoln Towing has been such a scourge on the city for so long there was a folk song written about their lovely business practices back in the 1970s. They have long been considered untouchable because of corruption and probable mob ties. This is like just below ‘Cubs win the World Series’ on the list of ‘poo poo that will never happen but Chicagoans really wish would.’

Reading the article sounds like they can appeal back to the courts that recently found that their 800+ violations per year were just misunderstandings. So I don't think I'd count them out yet.

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Gutierrez will not be running for mayor:
https://twitter.com/TinaSfon/status/1039921935839371264

but...
https://twitter.com/TinaSfon/status/1039923556816236551
https://twitter.com/TinaSfon/status/1039924237929271296
https://twitter.com/TinaSfon/status/1039925677187887104

How does that work if Chuy won the congressional primary? Write-in-campaign?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Oracle posted:

They towed my car from my own parking space that I literally own. When I went in to tell them that they towed it out of my parking spot they said it wasn't parked there. I said I have a video of you doing it from a security camera (which was a bluff).

They then said there is a sign up saying unauthorized vehicles will be towed and mine wasn't listed as authorized. I said there is no sign on my property. When I went home later they had put a brand new sign up on my property. I removed the sign and brought it back to them and the lady said I had broken the law by taking down their sign and threatened me. They were not interested in hearing me explain that I loving OWN THE PROPERTY.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Niwrad posted:

They towed my car from my own parking space that I literally own. When I went in to tell them that they towed it out of my parking spot they said it wasn't parked there. I said I have a video of you doing it from a security camera (which was a bluff).

They then said there is a sign up saying unauthorized vehicles will be towed and mine wasn't listed as authorized. I said there is no sign on my property. When I went home later they had put a brand new sign up on my property. I removed the sign and brought it back to them and the lady said I had broken the law by taking down their sign and threatened me. They were not interested in hearing me explain that I loving OWN THE PROPERTY.

Cool Seinfeld episode, bro.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

And the scam at Wrigley back in the 70's and 80's was crazy. They'd let you park on the streets before the game. Then when the game started they'd tow you away claiming it was parked illegally (it wasn't). The tow trucks would be lined up around the corner before first pitch.

Then you'd have a bunch of suburban Cubs fans forced to pay whatever the tow fee was to get their car back or be stranded in the city (this was before cell phones, Uber, etc). I believe they'd even use a trick where if the vehicle was stored past 5pm, it counted as an additional day. So all those 3:05 start times really paid off before there were lights.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Oracle posted:

Pawar for mayor. The dude started the most recent heavy push against them, didn't he?

Meanwhile - Pritzker isn't going to release his tax return beyond the cover letter, and meanwhile after publically making nice with those folks who said his company blocked their unionization efforts - he's done a total about face.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Clouseau posted:

Meanwhile - Pritzker isn't going to release his tax return beyond the cover letter, and meanwhile after publically making nice with those folks who said his company blocked their unionization efforts - he's done a total about face.

The river tour company? Do you have a link?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Yup: https://www.facebook.com/billy.dean.77/posts/2411070308918169?__xts__[0]=68.ARD2F3oSXLYRr46ta9sAJBIl0NDOsRSvXt-uZ1FoiTaZee1xzZfYBc9Pp6F3ZTinghCOuvX10pv-RYICDtTq2tyhBjgh3Zu-UDbP3x4NxTffoaLw5xwdUmdJU7DrHsDLR7JGGkU3YsPvjD4BOJoh_ljGbLfx-fOHtdKED47QwYscrTLHa8COAy4&__tn__=H-R

Gotta c/p it because the Facebook bracketing confuses the bbcode.

EDIT: Or better -

quote:

Union update: Last Saturday (9/1), JB Pritzker told us a lot of nice things, such as supporting our efforts, and supporting a card check process. He followed through on none of these things. Despite the fact that we have (and have had) a strong majority, the company is going to push this to elections, and has hired an outside Union-busting firm to try and win through attrition. The most frustrating part is we're such a small crew, they almost definitely spent more hiring that firm than they would have if they just gave us healthcare.

Rumor is they are planning 'captive audience' meetings on the other boats again, now that they think nobody is paying attention. Last time those were only shut down because outside labor groups called on our behalf (Thank you all again, you're the only reason we still have a fighting chance here)

So there are two possibilities here. Either JB Pritzker really is on our side, and just can't get it done, even at a company that literally shares his name. (He says he stepped away from managing the company, but he still owns it and profits from it. I'm sure they'd take a phone call.)

Or, he doesn't actually stand for the things he says.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Clouseau posted:

Pawar for mayor. The dude started the most recent heavy push against them, didn't he?

He has my vote.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Clouseau posted:

Yup: https://www.facebook.com/billy.dean.77/posts/2411070308918169?__xts__[0]=68.ARD2F3oSXLYRr46ta9sAJBIl0NDOsRSvXt-uZ1FoiTaZee1xzZfYBc9Pp6F3ZTinghCOuvX10pv-RYICDtTq2tyhBjgh3Zu-UDbP3x4NxTffoaLw5xwdUmdJU7DrHsDLR7JGGkU3YsPvjD4BOJoh_ljGbLfx-fOHtdKED47QwYscrTLHa8COAy4&__tn__=H-R

Gotta c/p it because the Facebook bracketing confuses the bbcode.

EDIT: Or better -

I have no words.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/BenBradleyTV/status/1039934190094041090

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I mean, in a just world that would mean several charges, including operating without a license and maybe contempt of court. But Chicago is not a just world, soooo

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I mean, in a just world that would mean several charges, including operating without a license and maybe contempt of court. But Chicago is not a just world, soooo

If they're filling an appeal, then the judgement was probably stayed pending appeal.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Chicago Tribune posted:

When Lovett’s crimes came to light in April 2000, Paul Vallas was CEO of Chicago schools. A concerned Johnson parent reached out to Vallas and his top aides on behalf of the school community, records show. But internal CPS case-tracking records show that an investigation was not launched until after Vallas — now a candidate for mayor — resigned his post in June 2001.

Vallas ignored complaints about sexual abuse at CPS. He’s done.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

How did this end up getting resolved?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Good gently caress that piece of poo poo.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I don't particularly want the link papers like the Examiner or National Review on it, but the right is going completely apoplectic today over news that Chicago is looking at UBI.

Edit: Found a link to an Intercept article from a few months ago when it was proposed at least: https://theintercept.com/2018/07/16/chicago-universal-basic-income-ubi/

Lager fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 13, 2018

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lager posted:

I don't particularly want the link papers like the Examiner or National Review on it, but the right is going completely apoplectic today over news that Chicago is looking at UBI.

Edit: Found a link to an Intercept article from a few months ago when it was proposed at least: https://theintercept.com/2018/07/16/chicago-universal-basic-income-ubi/

Just shows their lack of imagination. UBI is rife for exploitation by the captialist class.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

baquerd posted:

Just shows their lack of imagination. UBI is rife for exploitation by the captialist class.

Enjoy a rage tweet on the topic from someone who is definitely a real person, and who apparently believes Obama is either still president or is shadow mayor of Chicago.

https://twitter.com/Anthony36638905/status/1040304013563060224?s=19

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I, too, make usernames with an 8-digit number on the end

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lager posted:

Enjoy a rage tweet on the topic from someone who is definitely a real person, and who apparently believes Obama is either still president or is shadow mayor of Chicago.

https://twitter.com/Anthony36638905/status/1040304013563060224?s=19

What? You don’t have to use your bank routing number in your username to join Twitter? How will people know you’re a real person then?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

How did this end up getting resolved?

I had to pay to get my car out.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

OCTOBER 21ST IS THE FINAL DAY TO REGISTER BEFORE THE 2018 MIDTERMS! Get your asses registered.

(Yes you can register day of if you go in-person to vote. If you think things will run smoothly enough on Election Day that this is a viable option I have an investment offer from a friendly Russian grad student who is totally hot for your middle aged dad bod you may be interested in).

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If you register on election day they give you a provisional ballot which only gets counted if there's a close race.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

What's the best way to get sample ballot information for local elections? I know we're electing a sheriff but it's not appearing on my state sample ballot, there's probably city council up too.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ Check your county's board of elections website.

The Chicago hotel workers on strike have worked out an agreement with seven hotels downtown owned by Marriott, but the other hotels have yet to agree with Unite Here. (The gist of the grievance is the hotels' reducing workers' hours during winter months and then making them ineligible for health insurance.)

You'd think that JB would be pushing for an agreement between Unite Here and the Hyatt this close to an election, but I guess he's pretty confident that it doesn't matter.

Here's some :qq: about hotel guests being bothered by the strikers' picket lines. Maybe they should stop crossing picket lines if they want a good night's sleep.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

"Click on the link below to view a Sample Ballot for the November 6, 2018 election.

NOT YET AVAILABLE"

Oh, you lazy rear end motherfuckers.

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009
Not once since 1990 has a Cook County judge not been re-elected. You should simply vote no on every single judicial retention question and not worry about the research. If they are that close to being kicked, they should absolutely, 100% be kicked.

For this election, the Democratic Party refused to endorse a sitting judge (for the first time in forever) and there is a good chance he is retained despite being sued for framing two people for murder. Rest of the record isn't any prettier.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/c...njustice-watch/

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

Not once since 1990 has a Cook County judge not been re-elected. You should simply vote no on every single judicial retention question and not worry about the research. If they are that close to being kicked, they should absolutely, 100% be kicked.

This is what I do.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My policy is also to always vote against incumbent judges. I assume they've all hosed over somebody.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The cynical side of me thinks they put retention votes on the ballot to make it long and confusing to keep voter participation down.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Willa Rogers posted:

I absolutely love how with mine almost half of the options only have a Republican candidate running. :toot:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

The Bold Kobold posted:

I absolutely love how with mine almost half of the options only have a Republican candidate running. :toot:

Same with me but this is the first year in over a decade where there have been democratic candidates running in over half of the elections.

They will probably still lose but it is a first step (my county is so loving Republican, only 25% or so supported Jesse White in the last election he ran in).

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Same with me but this is the first year in over a decade where there have been democratic candidates running in over half of the elections.

They will probably still lose but it is a first step (my county is so loving Republican, only 25% or so supported Jesse White in the last election he ran in).

I think the fact that there are more down-ballot Democrats is a good sign for Pritzker and Raoul.

And the psychological effect for Democrats out there to see they aren't alone is nice.

Eglamore
Apr 19, 2005

Walker told me I have AIDS.

Willa Rogers posted:

The Chicago hotel workers on strike have worked out an agreement with seven hotels downtown owned by Marriott, but the other hotels have yet to agree with Unite Here. (The gist of the grievance is the hotels' reducing workers' hours during winter months and then making them ineligible for health insurance.)

This is actually an area I know a lot about. This is typical for hotel strikes in the city. Usually they negotiate separately with all the major franchises, see what they get out of it and coalesce behind the best package as the industry standard and take that to the other hotels. It's a good tactic and it gets them some of the best pay and conditions in the industry.

I am specifically not saying that the pay and conditions are great or couldn't be improved but it's better to be a hotel worker in Chicago than a lot of other places.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Not a surprise.

https://patch.com/illinois/winnetka/lifelong-democrat-new-ad-paid-rauner-consultant-neighbor

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Outright lies worked for Trump and Lipinski, why shouldn't Rauner do it?

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

https://twitter.com/fspielman/status/1046814253867573248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

October Surprise?
https://twitter.com/TinaSfon/status/1046874133244649472