Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Alan Moore I hope gets a Venture Brothers villain analog in the form of Alan Morbid, a screwed up arch for the Order of the Triad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wakanda is fantastical and one of the fantastical things about it is that it's never had a truly "bad" ruler, so they're was never any need for a direct democracy. They stumbled into philosopher Kings from the getgo.

I mean, their first ruler was given demonstrable magic powers directly by their deity too, so it's not like we have a good precedent.

There was still a council of elders and all that poo poo for some level representation, even so.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm irritated when ads for movies have text like "A TWIST SO UNBELIEVABLE YOU HAVE TO SEE!" I know it's to get people in seats but advertising there's a twist sort of defeats the point of it being there. Now I'm just going to be analyzing the story more than necessary trying to figure out what the twist is going to be.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Wakanda, in some ways, is possibly best compared to being about on the same magical/futuristic level as Asgard.

If anything irritates me a lot about the direction of Infinity War it's that I wish the Soul Stone had just been in Wakanda. It would at the very least have given Wakanda the sense that this was a fight that would have come to them no matter how isolationist/open they ever wanted to be.

Yeah, I know, heroes will fight for the greater good and not just for themselves, and I know that if Thanos gets the stones Wakanda's just as screwed as everyone else. I just think that would have worked better because there's no real challenge to the idea of putting themselves into harm's way for the sake of this one robot man.

Now, soul stone in Wakanda? Some part of their cultural/social identity, tied to that herb that gives Black Panther's their power (as was a rumor back earlier in the year)? Now you've got some conflicted feelings for T'Challa and the country when it comes to defending themselves and how they do so. The "Wakanda Forever" stuff would feel more like a bit more personal and important.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Do the Black Panther comics ever establish how Wakanda remained undiscovered? Like, before they had magic hologram force fields?
Did they just kill any outsiders who came in?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

cohsae posted:

Do the Black Panther comics ever establish how Wakanda remained undiscovered? Like, before they had magic hologram force fields?
Did they just kill any outsiders who came in?

On my phone, so pretend I put a cartoon of two missionaries in a big cauldron here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Your phone saved you from doing something stupid.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In pretty sure they're supposed to already have had holograms back during the Scramble for Africa.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wakanda's basically the counterpart to hidden advanced city-states like Themiscyra, Atlantis and Gorilla City, except with black people instead of women, fish people or endangered species.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wakanda is basically just mega-Ethiopia.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I know it's a comic book movie so don't read too much into it yadda-yadda but when you've actually grown up in an African country that movie is borderline insulting.
There's some great irony in the various cultural and tribal aesthetics and histories of Africa becoming a point of pride for people in a completely different continent who have literally never been there while they obsess over some super Westernized portrayal and start using the word "colonizer" without a hint of self awareness.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kids stopped buying comics en masse in the 90s. Possibly related? (though mostly because the industry hosed itself sideways and never really recovered)

Possibly thread related: What happened to Eddie Murphy's career? And for that matter, what happens with comic actors who end up starring in a string of absolutely horrible 'comedies' that destroy their careers? Do they get too famous and think they're invincible, have a bad agent, or struggle with how Hollywood has forgotten how to make comedy movies? (I recall the Selzter and Friedberg comedies, while initially successful, ended up nearly killing comedy movies as a genre because people didn't want to risk watching one)

Pluto. Nash.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wakanda's basically the counterpart to hidden advanced city-states like Themiscyra, Atlantis and Gorilla City, except with black people instead of women, fish people or endangered species.

Which tells you something about society when people RUSH to scream out how outlandish and fake it is but still play along with say, Hogwarts

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Wheat Loaf posted:

This isn't really a movie thing, but it's similar to the above: when you watch a documentary or a news report which interviews a non-Anglophone and the person translating their speech is clearly a native English-speaker doing a stereotypical French/German/Italian/Spanish/Polish/etc. accent. Just use your own accent!

The absolute worst of this is when the speaker is bilingual, and thus gives a speech in both languages, but the loving channel/broadcaster overdubs the 2nd language with their translation... which the speaker just said less than a minute ago in the first language.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Calaveron posted:

Which tells you something about society when people RUSH to scream out how outlandish and fake it is but still play along with say, Hogwarts

No, but you see, to get to Hogwarts you have to take a train, which nobody can get to because people keep disappearing into a brick pillar. Its explained in the lore!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No, but you see, to get to Hogwarts you have to take a train, which nobody can get to because people keep disappearing into a brick pillar. Its explained in the lore!

It's not that you can't get to it. You can, but they have anti-muggle charms all around it that make you see nothing but a dangerous looking ruin, or you forget why you were walking that way and go home, etc. Also in the books they at least pretend to be subtle about going through the brick pillar, not charging in to it like in the movies.

Furthermore,

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

JebanyPedal posted:

I know it's a comic book movie so don't read too much into it yadda-yadda but when you've actually grown up in an African country that movie is borderline insulting.
There's some great irony in the various cultural and tribal aesthetics and histories of Africa becoming a point of pride for people in a completely different continent who have literally never been there while they obsess over some super Westernized portrayal and start using the word "colonizer" without a hint of self awareness.

Would you say its more or less ironic than founding a nation based on freedom while owning slaves

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Wakanda is just Asgard on Earth. It’s my IIMM of Black Panther: it’s too futuristic with no real-world accents to tether it to the actual world we live in, so it’s kind of jarring.

Overall the extensive use of CGI backgrounds is my IIMM of Black Panther.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Wakanda is just Asgard on Earth. It’s my IIMM of Black Panther: it’s too futuristic with no real-world accents to tether it to the actual world we live in, so it’s kind of jarring.

Pretty sure the accents were Xhosa or based on it?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

It's an isolationist nation with a virtually limitless magical resource that's incredibly versatile

But yeah too much cgi definitely

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But Asgard isn't futuristic at all.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Aphrodite posted:

But Asgard isn't futuristic at all.

The floating space-world with teleportation and space ships isn't futuristic?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They don't have space ships they have flying wooden boats, and they teleport using a magic rainbow that leaves norse runes carved into wherever it hits.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Captain Monkey posted:

Pretty sure the accents were Xhosa or based on it?

The accents were loving laughable. Forest Whittacker in particular made me cringe so hard, coz you could see he was trying sooo hard to be "ufreekan" and instead sounded like a caricature.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm going to out myself here, but Coates run on Black Panther "A Nation Under Our Feet" actually deals with the fact that such a technologically advanced nation is still under a Monarchy ruled by a superpowered being and T'Challa's ordeal in dealing with the people demanding voting rights, rogue nations rising due to negligence of the royal court and terrorist attacks from people who just want it all to burn down.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

Wakanda, in some ways, is possibly best compared to being about on the same magical/futuristic level as Asgard.

If anything irritates me a lot about the direction of Infinity War it's that I wish the Soul Stone had just been in Wakanda. It would at the very least have given Wakanda the sense that this was a fight that would have come to them no matter how isolationist/open they ever wanted to be.

Yeah, I know, heroes will fight for the greater good and not just for themselves, and I know that if Thanos gets the stones Wakanda's just as screwed as everyone else. I just think that would have worked better because there's no real challenge to the idea of putting themselves into harm's way for the sake of this one robot man.

Now, soul stone in Wakanda? Some part of their cultural/social identity, tied to that herb that gives Black Panther's their power (as was a rumor back earlier in the year)? Now you've got some conflicted feelings for T'Challa and the country when it comes to defending themselves and how they do so. The "Wakanda Forever" stuff would feel more like a bit more personal and important.

Someone, I think on tumblr, posited the idea that Steve Rogers contained or had the influence if a soul some. Hence being super powered to an extent to the point where he could physically hold t hanos still for however long. Also why he could catch that super special heavy alien spear thing that he caught. And how the serum was never really replicated: because there was only one stone to use. It would make more sense apparently. Steve would have a reason to be in Wakanda which is why the movie's fight takes place there-- they knew he would be coming but might have been taken off guard at how fast he arrived ed--among other justifications that felt cohesive to someone who hasn't seen the movie.

It does feel dumb the huge fight was in wakanda. Why not elsewhere?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Because the only other location in Marvel movies is NYC.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wakanda had that super force field, and it seems like 75% of their population is conscripted into the military. Speaking of force field, it was rather ironic that it was strong enough to literally obliterate one of the transport ships, but the monsters that came out of the others could just brute force their way through? By that logic, there would still be thousands of still-living monsters tumbling through the shield from the wrecked transport that came down initially.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

My Lovely Horse posted:

Because the only other location in Marvel movies is NYC.

Hey now.

San Francisco gets some action, albeit on a smaller scale.

Ant-Man joke.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

value-brand cereal posted:

It does feel dumb the huge fight was in wakanda. Why not elsewhere?

The Avengers purposely directed it there, it was a strategy.

Panfilo posted:

Wakanda had that super force field, and it seems like 75% of their population is conscripted into the military. Speaking of force field, it was rather ironic that it was strong enough to literally obliterate one of the transport ships, but the monsters that came out of the others could just brute force their way through? By that logic, there would still be thousands of still-living monsters tumbling through the shield from the wrecked transport that came down initially.

Obviously it redirects energy so the faster you're moving the more devastating it is.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Another common IIMM: Whenever there is a situation where the protagonist is in some sort of contest (usually fighting, but sometimes racing or something similar), everybody bets against him. Really? The people I know that do sports betting are always looking for the long shots. If some Mysterious Stranger showed up, you'd get a TON of bets that they would win by some crazy upset; real life people just assume this.

But in movies, the only time people DO bet the protagonist will win is when they don't. Its a cheesy way to show the protagonist proving themselves against naysayers I guess, or reminding the audience the limits of their power.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Aphrodite posted:

=

Obviously it redirects energy so the faster you're moving the more devastating it is.

The slow blade penetrates the shield

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Basically the shield is a non-newtonian fluid. They just mixed cornstarch and water and put it all around the place.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Hey now.

San Francisco gets some action, albeit on a smaller scale.

Ant-Man joke.

And now Venom too!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kramdar posted:

And now Venom too!

That is probably not MCU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In the CGI boobfest Beowulf, was there any particular reason that Hrothgar's son Grendel is hideous but Beowulf's son is this glorious golden specimen?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

JebanyPedal posted:

If you're talking about black Americans then isn't that kinda one of the central points of the movie? Like the tensions between African pride and African American pride, their different or shared experiences of colonisation, etc

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Panfilo posted:

In the CGI boobfest Beowulf, was there any particular reason that Hrothgar's son Grendel is hideous but Beowulf's son is this glorious golden specimen?

Grendel was a bastard born of adultery, maybe? It's the kind of brute force metaphor that saga poets tended to like.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jedit posted:

Grendel was a bastard born of adultery, maybe? It's the kind of brute force metaphor that saga poets tended to like.

I suppose you're right, Grendel was kind of the physical manifestation of how lovely Hrothgar was deep down in spite of coming off as this happy generous king. Beowulf was this superhero of a dude that obviously passed on his badass genes to his son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That was a fun movie but god drat it got weird every time beowulf wanted to fight someone he started getting naked.