Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It’s days like this , with the new model being revealed and Apple killing it even more in sales, that I want to go back to the pre-release thread for the original Apple Watch and laugh my rear end off at some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Well the first edition sucked rear end TBF.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Come enjoy getting angry with me in the live stream thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868625

nerox
May 20, 2001
Apple Watch: I've fallen and I can't get up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Series 4 looks nice but not enough for me to upgrade from my 3.

I mainly use it for workout tracking and notifications and not a whole lot changed there.

All the bands work the same :shrug:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Got a series 0 right now, probably going to be picking this one up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Over There posted:

Thats going to be a huge upgrade.

Going from a 0 to a 3 was great.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Over There posted:

Same. Especially since my battery is barely 8 hours at this point. Don’t see why S3 would want to though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tim you say this every year.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Over There posted:

WatchOS 5 doesn't support series 0, so that's a huge reason to upgrade right there.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I think my series 3 is gonna do me fine at least until series 5.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rolo posted:

Same

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keeping my S2 until one of the following happens: 1) the new battery swells and pops the screen off or 2) it loses software support.

I'll update the OP later today or tomorrow.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Has anyone done the Apple Watch trade-in, or is that new? I'm curious if they require the watch band or if I can keep it when getting a new Watch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Double same and maybe even series 6.

Dude at work bought the series 3 two weeks ago despite me telling him to wait.

He is a lazy fucker though and probably won't return it for the 4 lol

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Going from S1 to S4 :toot:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I'd really like the S4 but I don't want to pay for it soooooo.

Curious to see what promotions retailers run on it though. When I bought my S2 Target gave a $50 giftcard back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Dave posted:

Yeah I'd really like the S4 but I don't want to pay for it soooooo.

Curious to see what promotions retailers run on it though. When I bought my S2 Target gave a $50 giftcard back.

I got a hella deal on my S0 way back when. They were offering a $100 gift card while another store (Best Buy?) was offering $100 off, so I got them to match the price and basically got it for half price. Paid full price for my S2, though.

I updated the OP, if anyone feels like giving any feedback on anything I am wrong about or missed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m probably gonna upgrade from S0 to S4. Also thinking about going for the smaller size this time around.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I just want a face with MOAR complications but they aren't pushing that to the 3 because of course not

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Huh. They’ve completely killed the link band? I’m happy with my series 2 still. Hopefully they bring it back for the 5 so I can upgrade.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not terribly surprising that no one was buying a $500 bracelet from Apple when you can get one that's nearly identical for 10% of the price on Amazon.

Violator
May 15, 2003

So in consideration for those with older watches thinking about upgrading, how bad are the LTE fees on ATT (or I guess any carrier)? The plan is $10 a month + like $5 in taxes and fees? Total about $15 a month? That seems super excessive for internet on a watch. :arghfist:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Apple Watch Series 0 has a $25 trade in value. :(
Apple Watch Series 3 non-LTE is $175. Aluminum models.

Violator fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 12, 2018

nerox
May 20, 2001
Am I crazy or did they say the new apple watches use the same bands as the old apple watches? Like half they bands in the store are gone from what there was 2 days ago.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes they said that. They also cycle bands in and out seasonally.

gregday
May 23, 2003

But this refresh cycle they completely nuked the steel link bracelets and the leather classic buckles.

nerox
May 20, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/12/apple-new-watch-bands-finishes-apple-watch-series-3/

I wanted the woven nylon one here 3'rd from the right, of course I was going to try to find a $10 knockoff, I really just needed to find it again to see it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I still feel like I made out like a bandit buying a $10 Milan ese loop. I've gone through two, admittedly, but $20 is still a lot less than official pricing.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

How much cadmium is in that?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I’ve got a Series 1 and trying to decide if I want to jump to the 4. Waterproofing would be nice. How good is the fitness tracking for water with the series 3?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Think ill stick with my series 1 and ask Santa for a series 4 next year when its the cheaper option to the slightly upgraded series 5.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Older Spring collection sport loops still available through third party sellers (Macy’s, etc) and should be for a few weeks until stock runs out.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Seems the S3 is only going to be offered in gray/spacegray from here on out.

I was planning to buy my wife one in rose gold for her birthday next month, but I guess I’ll be chasing third party stock before they run out, and no where but Apple has adjusted pricing.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 13, 2018

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just wanted to say thanks for keeping the OP up to date. Missed all the fun today but was very quickly able to catch up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Seems the S3 is only going to be offered in gray/spacegray from here on out.

I was planning to buy my wife one in rose gold for her birthday next month, but I guess I’ll be chasing third party stock before they run out, and no where but Apple has adjusted pricing.

Man , that’s a bummer. I don’t think they need to keep white, but rose gold is super popular.

So any S3 Watch users here upgrading? Honestly, right now I’m thinking no. The resale market on Apple watches isn’t great, so for the price difference Im thinking not worth it. Plus, I’ll be getting a XS, and if they ever update iPads an iPad, so I just don’t think I need to.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I imagine buying/selling a used watch must suck. None of the sellers on the local swap specify model, so buyers all expect S0 prices and the confusion around activation lock seems so much worse than with phones.

So many clearly stolen “$100, no charger. I don’t know how to unlock this. take it to the Apple store I think” posts that just drive down local price expectations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

eddiewalker posted:

I imagine buying/selling a used watch must suck.

That's why you've gotta pass it off to family/friends/colleagues

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
My plan is to get this stand for my S0 and just be done with it: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01MYNE2BM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4DDMBbSNCSB5V - honestly I’d feel bad selling it at this point because anyone buying it would have to pay €97 or whatever to replace the battery first.

Also not upgrading my S3, I’m kinda mad I upgraded just this spring but it’s gonna be good enough til the next upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Violator posted:

So in consideration for those with older watches thinking about upgrading, how bad are the LTE fees on ATT (or I guess any carrier)? The plan is $10 a month + like $5 in taxes and fees? Total about $15 a month? That seems super excessive for internet on a watch. :arghfist:

$14.22 on ATT. An LTE iPad is $13.24. Part of that is a $1.99 administrative fee on every line.