Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

the only reason i didn't bring up undertale is because i'm not sure if it technically qualifies as a jrpg, since it was developed by a dog

It's not a JRPG in the technical definition but to the extent that genres exist to group like things together to help people find things they would enjoy (rather than existing so people can be pedantic) undertale is a jrpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

It's not a JRPG in the technical definition but to the extent that genres exist to group like things together to help people find things they would enjoy (rather than existing so people can be pedantic) undertale is a jrpg

It’s not like JRPG even has a technical definition

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Raxivace posted:

An old friend of mine has become the subject of a viral internet gif and its been bizarrely surreal to see random Redditors and such jump to odd conclusions about him as a result.

After watching Giant Bomb for years, I enjoyed seeing the "thinkpieces" and satirical articles about the Blinking White Guy in the mainstream

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm gonna try and start a replay of red faction guerrilla cause i feel like smashing things on mars recently and rf2 was really bad for that

plus tales of vesperia definitive is coming out in like january so i have way more time to finish okami than i thought

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You can't really do a JRPG in 10 hours because it doesn't give you enough time to give your characters the proper level of progression and growth that is a key component of the genre. It takes at least 40 to go from humble peasant to immortal god monster.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just saw the new trailer for Kingdom Hearts and I still can't believe it is coming out next year.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rarity posted:

You can't really do a JRPG in 10 hours because it doesn't give you enough time to give your characters the proper level of progression and growth that is a key component of the genre. It takes at least 40 to go from humble peasant to immortal god monster.

Chrono Trigger is a lot shorter than that and is a great JRPG because it has a nice, brisk pace that keeps things fun.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Chrono Trigger is a lot shorter than that and is a great JRPG because it has a nice, brisk pace that keeps things fun.

Most JRPGs could cut like 50% of their content away and be way better for it

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i'm gonna try and start a replay of red faction guerrilla cause i feel like smashing things on mars recently and rf2 was really bad for that

plus tales of vesperia definitive is coming out in like january so i have way more time to finish okami than i thought

Are you doing the ReMARStered edition or the old one? If you had the old one on Steam, I believe you'll get the new one free of charge.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Andrast posted:

It's weird looking back at box art from the PS1 era and seeing just how much of a selling point time to completion was. Like, no RPG was worth a drat if it clocked in under 60 hours for a playthrough.

And now people are clamoring for games to be as concise and trimmed down as possible, as time has become more valuable than money for a lot of the gaming population.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Andrast posted:

just like my posting

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
highly controversially, i'd say that like 75% of the cast of chrono trigger doesn't really get any interesting writing outside of some of their brief sidequests and the only party member i really felt got anything satisfying in the end was magus, the guy you can kill and cut out of his entire resolution

there are plenty of like 20 hour long ps1 and ps2 jrpgs that have a full, satisfying narrative arc though, both shadow hearts and ar tonelico are pretty strong and tales of eternia is one of the more concise tales plots in a way that benefits it pretty well. final fantasy legend being like eight hours long also works pretty well in that game's favor since it's less a full interconnected story with deep character writing and more a series of weird experimental vignettes, one of the chapters in that game is like 20 minutes long and devoid of literally any combat lol

FanaticalMilk posted:

Are you doing the ReMARStered edition or the old one? If you had the old one on Steam, I believe you'll get the new one free of charge.

remarstered cause yeah, i got it for free and apparently it just runs better and doesn't really have higher requirements

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Cowcaster posted:

my posting

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They used to straight up lie about those play times too, guess it made sense when the majority of buyers were kids who'd only get a few games a year and the carts were expensive.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
tbh I usually don't remember the playtime of a JRPG unless it's unusually short or unusually long. Everything from like 30 to 70 hours sorta blurs together in my mind as "normal length"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

highly controversially, i'd say that like 75% of the cast of chrono trigger doesn't really get any interesting writing outside of some of their brief sidequests and the only party member i really felt got anything satisfying in the end was magus, the guy you can kill and cut out of his entire resolution

you're not wrong

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my chrono trigger hot take is that toriyama's art is ugly and I don't really like any of the character designs

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
imo it's ideal for a jrpg to be like, at minimum 20 hours and at the most 40-50 hours long and anything beyond that should be optional stuff. i don't think i could handle 70 hours of dragon quest vii but gently caress yeah i'll play 80 hours of trails of cold steel and tales of berseria with half of those hours being optional stuff cause i just got too into those games to want to stop

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I prefer the modern day Final Fantasy route where the games are 200 hours long but also manage to have zero characterization so you get people who don't know what the main enemy's motivation is or who the gently caress Jihllh Naboot is or whatever.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I still to this day have no idea why I fought the final boss of ffxiii or what killing it accomplished

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So in this threads opinion, how was FF15?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They didn't have a better plan and killing it activated the power of friendship

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

It's weird looking back at box art from the PS1 era and seeing just how much of a selling point time to completion was. Like, no RPG was worth a drat if it clocked in under 60 hours for a playthrough.

And now people are clamoring for games to be as concise and trimmed down as possible, as time has become more valuable than money for a lot of the gaming population.

It's not even the limited time for me. It's that the games tend to have a lot of padding that is frankly just worse in quality than the actually good stuff. Trimming that stuff down would result in a better game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hunt11 posted:

Obviously incredibly unfinished but the gameplay was fun and it had one of the best endings in the series. I haven't played it since it came out though and they've been tinkering and adding bits the whole time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

:yeah:

Honestly sometimes I really like a long game. It can be nice to just settle in knowing it's going to be a long, chill ride and that's that. Like Persona 5, I'm totally fine with how long that game is. I'm gonna meet that game on its own terms. Same for Dragon Quest XI. I know I'm in for a long playthrough on that one and that's totally fine. There's not even anything inherently wrong with "filler" stuff as long as it's entertaining--Dragon Quest XI's episodic nature means that a lot of the little stories might be "filler" to a degree, but they're entertaining and it's paced well enough that I'm happy to be along for the ride.

But the overwhelming majority of long games don't need to be as long as they are, and that's a problem that dates back a real long time in JRPGs. It's always obvious when a game has been stretched far beyond the length it really should have. And now it bleeds over into non-RPGs, too, because it's better for publishers if their single-player games are as long and directionless as possible. Open-world games like Assassin's Creed are increasingly popular with publishers because they keep casual players engaged for longer, and therefore more likely to buy DLC when it releases. If a player can blow through the game in 10-12 hours they're less likely to reinstall it when DLC comes out.

That's it, that's the whole reason big, open-world games are so popular: player engagement over a long term so that more people buy DLC.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Hunt11 posted:

Just started playing it myself a while ago and my opinion is that it's a terrible FF game but an excellent bro roadtrip simulator.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I played FFXIV at launch and I really liked it, in spite of it's many flaws. I'm also a Xenoblade Chronicles X defender so the takeaway is that I'll overlook lots of flaws to explore a fun setting

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 12, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the hosed up thing is there are lots of long jrpgs i love but i hate how long modern persona games are

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hunt11 posted:

Backstreet Boys comeback tour was better the first time

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oh yeah, also play Adventures of Mana. I got the platinum for that game in like 7 hours.

The Colonel posted:

the hosed up thing is there are lots of long jrpgs i love but i hate how long modern persona games are

I just beat Tokyo Mirage Sessions and I'm glad it doesn't have some calendar bullshit prolonging the game because I beat it in like 42 hours.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For me I think the real question is the division of time between various aspects of the game. What percentage of time is spent on busywork combat? Actually interesting combat? Filler cutscenes? Interesting cutscenes? Just walking from place to place? Other game mechanics?

Like Berseria as short as it is was wearing out its welcome by the time I finished it because the percentage of time spent in busywork combat and walking through empty hallways was really high. But Atelier Lydie and Suelle, which is a longer game, kept me engaged through the end because such a high percentage of playtime was character development cutscenes and (non-filler, actually interesting) crafting. Persona 5 replaced "walking" almost wholesale with a stealth minigame which helped a ton in my book by removing a large chunk of what would be boring time in another game, so I didn't mind the length as much as other people.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The Colonel posted:

everyone but ayla and robo got good writing imo but ayla doesn't need it because she rules anyway

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

I still to this day have no idea why I fought the final boss of ffxiii or what killing it accomplished

As far as I understand -

There's an S Tier God who makes an A Tier God and the A kills the S, but S is not like really dead so A needs to find a way to kill S again, but FOR REALSIES. So he makes some B Tier Gods to help him who are generally complete gently caress ups who create all the planets and people basically completely on accident and no one wants to deal with a bunch of humans so they make C Tier Gods and stick them with the humans to be intergalactic babysitters while they find a way to kill the S Tier God for the second time. The C Tiers are basically little above robots with the programming of 1) Find A Way To Kill The S Tier God and 2) Take Care Of Humans.

So one C Tier God decides that maybe killing everyone will make a way to kill the S Tier God for real. I mean, there's nothing that says that doesn't make a way to kill the S Tier God for real right? So either it works and directive 1 is accomplished, or it just kills everyone and the C Tiers don't have to be babysitters anymore either way it's a win for him.

This is not explained anywhere. Only one of the above characters is even named in the game which is why I'm just calling them by tiers.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 12, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So apparently today is National Video Games Day?

I didn't know our mod was so popular but I'm glad he's getting the recognition he deserves

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chrono Trigger is one of the few JRPGs (let alone RPGs on the SNES) where the point at which the world opens up is stronger than the opening moments where most JRPGs completely fall apart in the back half because the popular design of them (world map based, monsters with set levels, tiered equipment based) means the player isn't likely to backtrack to previously established areas. Aya isn't great, her plot is basically "get fit Kino because we're having babies when I'm done kicking rear end." Robo is the absolute best, Lucca ends on a bittersweet (or tragic if you fail) moment, Marle isn't great but she makes peace with her dad after saving his rear end again, Frog makes peace with his mentor, and Crono being a silent protagonist makes the resurrection actually better because it's just a silent scene on top of a snowy mountain.

Like Final Fantasy 6 explored some of this a year earlier but the entire plot ends in the World of Ruin and Setzer, Edgar, and Celes end up being the main characters but have the least interesting narratives.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

three cheers for VideoGames

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

Where? Because 30+ hour open world games sell the most and linear 8-15 hour ones are dead and when they do come out they usually bomb - in the case of AAA at least. Outside vocal minorities in hardcore forums I don't see it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FF13 is about a bunch of robot demigods deciding their existence blows and they should cause the apocalypse so the bigger god comes back to fix things. For the later two games actually all of the gods suck and are idiots, so gently caress em.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I played ffxiii and ffxiii-2 through to the end and had no idea about any of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

I played ffxiii and ffxiii-2 through to the end and had no idea about any of that

There is no possible way you could because none of it is covered in the game.

• Locked thread