Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

people were also driving around indiscriminately shooting minorities in the katrina aftermath, including cops

Wait were they shooting cops? Cause I'm glad something good came from that lovely situation.

Also with the unprecedented destruction that is surely to be wrought by the hurricane currently known as "Florence" in the states of South Carolina and Georgia, I petition to have the name changed to Hurricane Sherman, then the name can be retired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

succ posted:

Googled this and there is literally no mention of it on Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orleans_Parish_Prison

Fix it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
tbf the previous mayor of new orleans mitch landrieu successfully ran on calling the justice department in to clean house at the nopd

he then went on to spearhead the confederate statue removals months before the nazis murdering that lady in charlottesville shamed other cities into doing it

really the problems are the exurbs outside of the city where it becomes just a sea of white flight. the last census map is crazy it's just this unbroken ring of white people

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Wait were they shooting cops? Cause I'm glad something good came from that lovely situation.

Also with the unprecedented destruction that is surely to be wrought by the hurricane currently known as "Florence" in the states of South Carolina and Georgia, I petition to have the name changed to Hurricane Sherman, then the name can be retired.

no the cops decided to join in on the brown people murder and got caught executing people on danziger bridge

basically outside the city it wasn't uncommon for white people to reenact their favorite zombie apocalypse scenarios except the zombies were just minorities

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

PostNouveau posted:

If the storm surge is higher than my first floor I'll just go up to the second. And if it's higher than my second, I'll just go into my attic. And if it's higher than my attic, well I've got an axe, I can get on the roof, and we all know storm surges are legally required to never get higher than a roof.

yep, then all you have to do is survive for a couple of weeks exposed on your roof without food or potable water, should be a piece of cake

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Reminder that while Herc Maria did awful damage to outlying Islands, it didn't wipe out all of Florida

There's no Island Shield for this hurricane

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vox Nihili posted:

They hunted people for sport on the streets and got 3-12 years in prison.

Tbh that's still more justice than I would have guessed.

theres quite a few more people in new orleans walking free after their murder sprees during Katrina

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no the cops decided to join in on the brown people murder and got caught executing people on danziger bridge

Yea I knew that was the case, but maybe there was a chance?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
ironically chris kyle was probably lying when he bragged about joining a post katrina death squad

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it was an entirely plausible lie until he got caught being nowhere near the south for katrina iirc

also he claimed to be on top of the superdome shooting people which was the designated refuge of last resort lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea I knew that was the case, but maybe there was a chance?

If it makes you feel any better I'm sure at least one of the murdered black people was also a cop

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
oh yeah and he said that he did that as part of an active duty deployment lmao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh yeah and he said that he did that as part of an active duty deployment lmao

also that's one of the things we're supposed to think was heroic about him, saving water damaged goods from the hands of the blacks

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

[etches a mother of four carrying a soggy loaf of bread into the stock of my rifle]

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i think this is going to be a pretty good stream soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4NxkouGM

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
There is a hurricane in my pants and you are all invited

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Just remember that if you need to acquire food in the flooding and storm aftermath, be sure to "find" the food rather than "loot" the food.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Third World Reggin posted:

There is a hurricane in my pants and you are all invited

you have room for dogs?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

[etches a mother of four carrying a soggy loaf of bread into the stock of my rifle]

lol

and yeah it's not at all legal to shoot looters anywhere

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

and yeah it's not at all legal to shoot looters anywhere

i love the obsession americans have with taking human lives for the crime of making use of things that will need to be thrown away anyway

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Al! posted:

i love the obsession americans have with taking human lives for the crime of making use of things that will need to be thrown away anyway

do not do the crime if you can not do the time

*whitely commits multiple felonies in the name of law and order*

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
None of it is shocking considering America is a violent white supremacist state that values property over life

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

working on it now. idk if it will get approved though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

yea like looting stores in a situation like this is essentially a victimless crime, right? every single thing has already been inventoried and written off as a loss, and whatever survived would either be destroyed by the company, stolen by employees, or otherwise shuffled out of rotation and not sold

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

yea like looting stores in a situation like this is essentially a victimless crime, right? every single thing has already been inventoried and written off as a loss, and whatever survived would either be destroyed by the company, stolen by employees, or otherwise shuffled out of rotation and not sold

Depends on the store but if you're caught out in a survival situation then just loot without shame.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Zeroisanumber posted:

Depends on the store but if you're caught out in a survival situation then just loot without shame.

I mean yea obviously I'm not losing sleep over people shoplifting sneakers from foot locker in general even when there's not a storm but my understanding was basically that this makes literally no difference even to the giant evil corporations that own these stores

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I mean yea obviously I'm not losing sleep over people shoplifting sneakers from foot locker in general even when there's not a storm but my understanding was basically that this makes literally no difference even to the giant evil corporations that own these stores

nope, it's just an excuse to indulge in murder fantasies

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

If someone looted the local Foot Locker down to the studs and sold everything online afterwards I doubt I would give even a single gently caress. And that's just on a regular day.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vox Nihili posted:

If it makes you feel any better I'm sure at least one of the murdered black people was also a cop

It does, thanks.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

It gets a little grey if you are looting houses though. But with stores, who cares.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
that and how during a state of emergency trespassing isn’t really a thing

*shoots fema rescue worker searching houses for living people & corpses*

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Theft of any kind in any situation for any reason is a disruption of social order, and letting people get away with this would be a lapse in the exercise of power that is totally unconscionable. If you don’t summarily execute people for petty crimes in crisis situations, society will begin sliding down a slippery slope which ends with people thinking they can do anything. Before you know it they’ll be demanding that leaders are elected by popular vote.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

succ posted:

working on it now. idk if it will get approved though.

Leave a note on the talk page calling them out so your edit can't get unceremoniously wiped and forgotten

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tbf the previous mayor of new orleans mitch landrieu successfully ran on calling the justice department in to clean house at the nopd

he then went on to spearhead the confederate statue removals months before the nazis murdering that lady in charlottesville shamed other cities into doing it

really the problems are the exurbs outside of the city where it becomes just a sea of white flight. the last census map is crazy it's just this unbroken ring of white people

Mitch Landrieu wants to run for president, I don't know much about him based on just that, there are worse records to run on.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

ooo

quoted fer l8r

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Rasczak posted:

Now you’re just rubbing salt in the wound :colbert:

I'm just saying, control expectations

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

whatever happened with chuds thinking FEMA was an illuminati plot to enslave humanity? is that over now that the president is white again

It was a thing in the 90's, way before Obama. I've no idea how the modern Qanon people roll (aside from 'boomer' and 'choosing schizophrenia over admitting they got conned by a conman') but I think the fact FEMA's bed-making GBS threads was the end of anybody being able to pretend the Bush admin was competent, and that 1) killed most of its appeal as a sinister organization, and 2) was all very much a matter of record. Obviously large swaths of white ppl still think "gubbermint's gonna get me" but outside of that group I think everybody recognizes the persecution complex of those people, which really undercuts any coolness 90's paranoid conspiracy theories had

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

Mitch Landrieu wants to run for president, I don't know much about him based on just that, there are worse records to run on.

He let the city's water board fall into a deep state of hosed-up-ness.

If his term had ended right after his Confederate monument speech, he would have left office revered. But he had like a whole nother year left and everyone found out how hosed the pumping system is and how crooked the water board was and now the city hates him.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Al! posted:

Near Cape Fear, North Carolina.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Al! posted:

Eh, there’s nothing in the frame, you want at least a tree to look at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Near Cape Fear, North Carolina.

I was all confused for a second, Cape Fear has a Greg Peck, Robert Mitchum fistfight at the end but I was thinking it was a hurricane at the end but that was Key Largo.