Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
And maybe next week, we could finally meet Lalo? Something like that, you can predict; what you can't is what kind of a gut-punch this season's going to end on!

...I wonder when Kim and Jimmy will no longer be living together.

Thanks! First time that's ever happened!

Ugh, I was in Playa Del Carmen last October and these obnoxious aggressive predatory fucks were EVERYWHERE, always in close and ready to steal your food the second they could. And it wasn't like there was a lack of natural food sources or habitat; the resort had plenty of unharvested jungle on and off its boundaries. They've surpassed the Stanley Park seagulls and geese for the #1 spot for brazen human attacks for our eats.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I was gonna make a pithy remark about deportation, but after Gus' story about being cruel to a poor hungry raccoon creature I'm pretty sure he is actually a heartless murdering machine.

Well, hang on with the "poor hungry raccoon creatures" you're mistaking them to be. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not one for animal cruelty or anything, and Gus torturing it AND drat near bragging about it to his next victim while he's comatose is a decent way to show us his twisted passion for vengeance. But we ain't talking kittens, puppies, and llamas here. Not all animals are the same; if anything Gus was being nasty and predatory to another nasty, predatory creature in retaliation for what it did, which is the rub: Gus isn't predatory unless he's provoked and then he goes to excess. And it sounds like that was the first time in his life when he realized he could control his misfortune and retaliate against an external threat that preyed on him and/or his interests?

Alan Smithee posted:

Did jimmy even get his drat money back from the punks that is literally all I care about and I won't sleep if he didn't

We didn't see it and I wondered about that too. (But he might have taken most of the cash off him before talking to the bikers so maybe it wasn't a total loss.) If he'd robbed them right back or taken a light swing or two with the bat, that might've tipped the scale and provoked them to run to the cops, especially since they could identify him and lie their asses off about being innocent victims of this dangerous criminal (and since he never filed a police report for what they did...) Presuming this doesn't come back to bite him or Saul in the rear end ("Hey, the guy on the billboard looks familiar..."), the 4 or 5 felonies he committed against them might still be enough to keep them scared shitless of him and his presumed gang (notice how their backs were turned the majority of the time and only the lead kid saw 2 right near the end so their imaginations fill in the blanks). At the same time, maybe not necessarily to the point where they might run to the authorities for protection.

(Side tangent: years ago when I was still living in BC, the one of the local papers ran a story: some shithead teens, I think in Abbotsford, broke into a grow-op to steal some plants. What they didn't realize was that this was a Hell's Angels operation. Well, when the Hell's Angels ask questions you'd best answer and the locals were happy to cooperate with their investigation and the bikers wound up going to each of the teenagers' houses - while their families were home - to come and take back their marijuana plus other assorted loot, AND told the kids' families to go right to the cops and local media about it so that it would be as widely known as possible just what happens when anyone fucks with the Hell's Angels. And their weed, because just growing some more bud from what they already had, while do-able, simply wouldn't do.)

Speaking of, as soon as Jimmy ran off, did anyone else say out loud, "Oh yeah, leading them right into an ambush by the biker gang!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jimmy’s right though, that Howard was the salesman of HHM and not the legal mind. The firm just may not be able to survive without Chuck.

Maybe Howard's story will end with him taking over Jimmy's job at the phone store to pay down debts, some of which arise from HHM's collapse. Also an in-universe explanation as to why you never see or hear of HHM in BB - because I'm sure Gilligan and Gould and co. are willing to tweak those who ask questions like that. "It's not because "You just don't", it's because Jimmy indirectly led to the destruction of the place!"

But, Howard is only where he is because of his father and Chuck, and Jimmy is pretty good about reading people, so yeah, tell Howard what he needs to hear. Plus, notice how Fabian played it right at the end, almost a physical tell of his mind going "Huh...hold on...maybe he's right"?

LinkesAuge posted:

4 Seasons, 6 Episodes, still no Saul.

...or *isn't* there? Isn't he always kind of under the surface to some degree?

Agent Escalus fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Agent Escalus posted:

Well, hang on with the "poor hungry raccoon creatures" you're mistaking them to be. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not one for animal cruelty or anything, and Gus torturing it AND drat near bragging about it to his next victim while he's comatose is a decent way to show us his twisted passion for vengeance. But we ain't talking kittens, puppies, and llamas here. Not all animals are the same; if anything Gus was being nasty and predatory to another nasty, predatory creature in retaliation for what it did, which is the rub: Gus isn't predatory unless he's provoked and then he goes to excess. And it sounds like that was the first time in his life when he realized he could control his misfortune and retaliate against an external threat that preyed on him and/or his interests?

I understand what they were going for, and I know how much raccoons and the like are a pain in the rear end for people who actually have to deal with them, but I saw this picture on the wiki and I can't imagine any relatable human being watching it suffer, sorry.

Agent Escalus posted:

Speaking of, as soon as Jimmy ran off, did anyone else say out loud, "Oh yeah, leading them right into an ambush by the biker gang!"

I mean, I thought that was a foregone conclusion the moment they actually took his money last episode. Well, less specifically the biker gang than just some hired muscle, but in retrospect having Huell onboard was a pretty obvious choice. I thought it might be where we got to see Lalo, but I think he's been implied to be somewhere higher up in the operation.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Last night I watched the episode of BB where they decide to cook in tented houses and Saul says he’s been pulling the Vamanos pest people out of legal trouble for five years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

boop the snoot posted:

Last night I watched the episode of BB where they decide to cook in tented houses and Saul says he’s been pulling the Vamanos pest people out of legal trouble for five years.
I think someone caught that the guy Jimmy hired to steal the Hummel was one of the Vamanos guys.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, Iris, the B&E guy

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It seems like Mike has jumped straight to being Gus's number one dude trusted with director-level responsibility(budget, resources, policy) because he can pester some guys about not wearing lift belts and straps on cargo, good on him

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

precision posted:

i'm actually shocked that the news about the lady dying didn't lead to Jimmy trying to steal her Hummels in some way
I mean, he did immediately confirm who currently is in possession of said Hummel

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Another way that you know that the show is set in the early 2000s: Hummels still had value!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Crazy theory, Jimmy actually cared that the Hummel ended up where she wanted it to because he genuinely liked her?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

It seems like Mike has jumped straight to being Gus's number one dude trusted with director-level responsibility(budget, resources, policy) because he can pester some guys about not wearing lift belts and straps on cargo, good on him

He knows what he wants, he just needs a ground level details guy to bounce ideas off and check he’s not missing anything obvious and Mikes shown himself to be very detail oriented.

Now you were Gus, you COULD ask Mike to arrange stuff for you with a group of heavies following him making threatening noises about not pissing off the boss, but he’s already shown he won’t respond well to that, so why bother? Just let him do his thing.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

I think you’re underestimating how impressive Mike’s work to get noticed by Gus in the first place was.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Gus also reads people with one action. When he was slitting the guy's throat, Jesse's response (especially contrasted with Walt) caused him to latch on to Jesse as the means to take Walt down *while* actually trusting him to a degree with things he *never* would have when Jesse was "just a junkie."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Crazy theory, Jimmy actually cared that the Hummel ended up where she wanted it to because he genuinely liked her?

That was my read on it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

precision posted:

That was my read on it.

Yeah, same. We've seen scheming Jimmy, and his reaction to hearing about her death was genuine sadness.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

oh jay posted:

a slow zoom in to Walt's face as ambient noises get louder and louder.

You’re correct: Walt waiting in line to buy paint at the hardware store, while the register beeps. He puts the cans down and hits the parking lot to scare off the competing cook. It’s a major point of no return for his criminal ambitions. This could turn out to be the same for Jimmy and Kim’s relationship — professional or otherwise.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Agent Escalus posted:

We didn't see it and I wondered about that too. (But he might have taken most of the cash off him before talking to the bikers so maybe it wasn't a total loss.) If he'd robbed them right back or taken a light swing or two with the bat, that might've tipped the scale and provoked them to run to the cops, especially since they could identify him and lie their asses off about being innocent victims of this dangerous criminal (and since he never filed a police report for what they did...) Presuming this doesn't come back to bite him or Saul in the rear end ("Hey, the guy on the billboard looks familiar..."), the 4 or 5 felonies he committed against them might still be enough to keep them scared shitless of him and his presumed gang (notice how their backs were turned the majority of the time and only the lead kid saw 2 right near the end so their imaginations fill in the blanks). At the same time, maybe not necessarily to the point where they might run to the authorities for protection.

For all the complaints we get every week about how nothing happens, Mike takes up too much time blah blah blah, this here is the particular thing that's been nagging at the back of my mind while watching. If Jimmy ever gets caught on any of his schemes, he'd be done. He'd lose his chance at ever being a lawyer again. And as the show gets closer and closer to the start of BB timeline wise. Where he's a successful crooked lawyer, it's sucking the suspense out of stuff like the hummel theft, messing with these kids. Because from this point on, as far as Jimmy's cons and schemes, he can't lose, he cannot gently caress up. He can't do anything wrong.

Of course, that just means for the sake of the story, he's going to gently caress up everywhere else, and he's well on his way there. Which I think is the point, rather than worrying if he gets caught I guess. :(

Not meant as a jibe at Agent Escalus, his post just made me remember this thought.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

QwertySanchez posted:

For all the complaints we get every week about how nothing happens, Mike takes up too much time blah blah blah, this here is the particular thing that's been nagging at the back of my mind while watching. If Jimmy ever gets caught on any of his schemes, he'd be done. He'd lose his chance at ever being a lawyer again. And as the show gets closer and closer to the start of BB timeline wise. Where he's a successful crooked lawyer, it's sucking the suspense out of stuff like the hummel theft, messing with these kids. Because from this point on, as far as Jimmy's cons and schemes, he can't lose, he cannot gently caress up. He can't do anything wrong.

Of course, that just means for the sake of the story, he's going to gently caress up everywhere else, and he's well on his way there. Which I think is the point, rather than worrying if he gets caught I guess. :(

Not meant as a jibe at Agent Escalus, his post just made me remember this thought.

He's clearly going to gently caress up something with Kim, but we don't know what/how

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

QwertySanchez posted:

Because from this point on, as far as Jimmy's cons and schemes, he can't lose, he cannot gently caress up. He can't do anything wrong.

what if they do something like throw continuity out the window and make this an alternate side-universe to BB

i would love it if they had the balls to do that. do something crazy like kill off Gus or Mike and make it so that the end state is not a known quantity anymore

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

precision posted:

what if they do something like throw continuity out the window and make this an alternate side-universe to BB

i would love it if they had the balls to do that. do something crazy like kill off Gus or Mike and make it so that the end state is not a known quantity anymore

I would love this. Mike just shoots Walt in the loving face the first time he gets angry at him and go from there.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

precision posted:

Or like Jimmy encounters problem that he just can't seem to solve, takes up three episodes of time and right when he seems at his lowest he goes "well, no other choice that I can see", reaches under his desk and pulls out his wizards hat and just casts a spell to resolve everything.

He was a wizard, the whole time.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

QwertySanchez posted:

Because from this point on, as far as Jimmy's cons and schemes, he can't lose, he cannot gently caress up. He can't do anything wrong.

Alternatively, a major curve ball DOES come his way and we have to see him get out of it/fix his gently caress-up/roll with the loss and turn it into something else. It's also the same "problem" with genre films and franchises: we all know that James Bond beats the bad guys and gets in bed with the ladies by the time the movie's over but we buy a ticket to see what he does this particular time. Unless your installment is part of a larger story to allow for a loss at the present (The Dark Knight, Avengers Infinity War), or your standalone story has a major twist that either risks angering the audience and souring the whole experience (The Pledge, Arlington Road) or the loss is nullified by becoming a stepping stone to something better (Rocky), we all know going in to the story that our protagonist has a pretty good chance of winning in the end and having their victory lap.

The kids could come back with *their* friends in the future, gunning for true physical violence, and the episode after we see Jimmy have to deal with that directly, or deal with the conscience of getting the bikers involved to cut them off at the pass. Which would mean Jimmy, who took it pretty hard when the best he could do with Tuco was bargain him down to maiming the skater scam kids, would now be partly responsible for the kids getting truly hosed up or killed. Despite his clear intention to not to actually have to do that, as we just saw.

But then again, Saul popped up big time when he closed out a season by saying "I know why I held back and didn't take [the money]. I''m not going to let that thing hold me back ever again." So.....

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

I would love this. Mike just shoots Walt in the loving face the first time he gets angry at him and go from there.

I like this. Creates a sense of, I dunno, call it...uncertainty...with how the rest of the series could go. You could almost call it a principle or something.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Samopsa posted:

Did the intro actually imply that Jimmy became a lawyer to impress Kim? Poor Jimmy.

No, what we were shown was that Howard respected Kim due to her legal knowledge. That same respect Jimmy later became a lawyer to try (and fail) to get.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MiddleOne posted:

No, what we were shown was that Howard respected Kim due to her legal knowledge. That same respect Jimmy later became a lawyer to try (and fail) to get.

It wasn't Howard, it was Chuck. She asks him if another legal thing would have been applicable. Then Chuck says "That's right, we looked into that, what was the case law on that?" Then he pretends to think about it and then gives a side eye at Kim waiting for her to answer it. She answers and then he gives an approving look when she's right. Jimmy wanted that.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

That, plus: as far as we know, Jimmy's desire to be a lawyer has been his 100% genuine interest in self-improvement. He probably realized in Cicero that he couldn't live like that forever, and by the time of the arrest, before Chuck arrived, thought, "What the hell am I doing with my life?" In most pop cultural/Hollywood stories, the end of the tale could've been him leaving for ABQ with Chuck or the day he walked in with the news that he'd passed the bar. But this being the BB universe, the stories tend to revolve around the aftermaths of various decisions more so than the journeys to various life destinations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I miss Marco :smith:

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Javid posted:

I would totally watch a Breaking Bad without Walt. See what each character life could of been.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I understand what they were going for, and I know how much raccoons and the like are a pain in the rear end for people who actually have to deal with them, but I saw this picture on the wiki and I can't imagine any relatable human being watching it suffer, sorry.

I mean yeah, Gus is a bad dude.

That was kind of the weak point of the episode IMO. I'm pretty sick of bad guys doing monologues about a thing they did in their past to showcase their ruthlessness.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Hakkesshu posted:

That was kind of the weak point of the episode IMO. I'm pretty sick of bad guys doing monologues about a thing they did in their past to showcase their ruthlessness.

Yeah I zoned out. Other people's enjoyment of the scene is also valid.

It was otherwise a season best episode. Kim and Jimmy's chemistry is one of the most convincing on-screen relationships I've seen.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I liked it because killing/torturing animals in childhood is a pretty common behaviour of psychopaths, which we very much know Gus to be

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

precision posted:

they've already said there's 0 % chance they do this when Noah Hawley suggested it

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

precision posted:

I can't approve of any side universe except my dream side universe of Gus and Walt not pissed at each other and working together to take out the Cartel as we saw in 'Salud' :colbert:.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

they've already said there's 0 % chance they do this when Noah Hawley suggested it

Do you have a link to this?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

precision posted:

This would be cool and original. But, we already know that's not going to happen because we know that Jimmy ends up as Gene managing the Cinnabon.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Really surprised that some people would've prefered a 'case of the week' style show with the cariacture Saul Goodman rather than what we got. It's also odd that this would be the expectation given the style and pacing of Breaking Bad.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, they could frame it as Cinnabon Gene's daydreaming about how things could have gone differently.

But I seriously hope they don't and doubt they will because it would be bad and dumb.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

The sad part is Jimmy really was a good lawyer. Sandpiper proved that, amongst other examples.

Ornithology posted:

Really surprised that some people would've prefered a 'case of the week' style show with the cariacture Saul Goodman rather than what we got. It's also odd that this would be the expectation given the style and pacing of Breaking Bad.

To be fair, a not insignificant part of the fan base seemed to want Walt to off that killjoy, nagging wife of his and have the show become Scarface, The Series.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Ornithology posted:

This keeps being said and I'll keep saying: the reason it was the expectation is that was literally both the original pitch and what was reported. It was going to be a half hour comedy. At some point they added Jonathan Banks and said it was actually going to be an hour-long drama.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A show about Saul’s other clients that are just regular dumbass criminals would be pretty cool, but I like what we have better.

Seems like a lot of people wish they were watching a fundamentally different show though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

It was an awful awful scene.

boop the snoot posted:

Seems like a lot of people wish they were watching a fundamentally different show though.

That's because this show is half Better Call Saul and half lovely Breaking Bad prequel which doesn't expand on anything. WHY DO WE NEED TO SEE HOW THE UNDERGROUND LAB WAS BUILT, WHY SHOWRUNNERS.