Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Jerry Cotton posted:

The 13th Floor Elevators
69-Hard
101 Strings

It's this. Also organize by First Name Last Name :c00lbutt:

Real talk: I ended up putting my collection into Discogs and sorted my records based on their alphabetical sorting. It's boring and unsexy, but it makes life so simple. Browsing my collection is as easy as scrolling through the tablet I keep in the living room and I can leave stacks of records out without having to worry about figuring out where they all go when they need to be put away.

It was a bear to setup in the beginning, but it's really saved a lot of hassle in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

strap on revenge posted:

I'm not having much luck in the other thread so will try here:

They all have the same stylus type so I’d say go with the cheaper one since really the JICOs worth paying more for are like the SAS ones. Those manufacturers are all fine.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://mondotees.com/products/katamari-damacy-original-video-game-soundtrack-2xlp

for the Katamari Damacy re-press.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Managed to finally grab a Katamari OST from mondo, which was rad. Shipping was $5 for just the record, and $15 when I added an enamel pin (nope.)

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I grabbed two, one is for a Christmas present. I hope he doesn't read this thread...

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

content posted:

Managed to finally grab a Katamari OST from mondo, which was rad. Shipping was $5 for just the record, and $15 when I added an enamel pin (nope.)

that's cause of that awesome media mail loophole. It's a flat rate shipping type grandfathered in to the USPS for certain types of media, iirc it technically is supposed to be for educational materials only.

I got the thing too

content
Feb 13, 2014

I'm stoked to spin Lonely Rolling Star live to everyone's dismay.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah that's what I went with.

bigman.50grand posted:

It's this. Also organize by First Name Last Name :c00lbutt:

Uh-whaaaah??!?!?

No. Except when I know it's not their real name. Like Eleanoora Rosenholm is the name of the band, not the singer, because there's no one called Eleanoora Rosenholm in the band, so it goes under E :evilbuddy:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Thanks thread for looking out with the Katamari OST. :stoked:

content
Feb 13, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

No. Except when I know it's not their real name. Like Eleanoora Rosenholm is the name of the band, not the singer, because there's no one called Eleanoora Rosenholm in the band, so it goes under E :evilbuddy:

Agreed. I wonder if sorting by first name will be more common with people that didn't exist in a pre-spotify world. I'm conditioned due to to years of facing CDs at electonrics stores.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Ariel Pink stuff is under A and my Kim Wilde record is under W. I guess I never thought about it and put them where it felt right.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
This thread is going to account for 10% of all Katamari Domacy purchases. I just grabbed one too since it came so highly recommended and I am always looking for good music from genres I am unfamiliar with.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

SeXReX posted:

that's cause of that awesome media mail loophole. It's a flat rate shipping type grandfathered in to the USPS for certain types of media, iirc it technically is supposed to be for educational materials only.

I got the thing too

The media mail rules don't make any sense. You can send magazine though media mail but not comic books. I've never gotten an answer as to why this is.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah that's what I went with.

Uh-whaaaah??!?!?

I went to a record store that alphabetized by first name and it was awful.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

content posted:

Agreed. I wonder if sorting by first name will be more common with people that didn't exist in a pre-spotify world. I'm conditioned due to to years of facing CDs at electonrics stores.

I spent a few years in the Best Buy media department and I alphabetize by first name. It feels easier to me - never have to worry about said Ariel Pink's of the world.

I then go by release date within an artist, which I never seem to remember correctly.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

CPL593H posted:

The media mail rules don't make any sense. You can send magazine though media mail but not comic books. I've never gotten an answer as to why this is.

quote:

Books (at least eight pages)
Printed music and test materials
Video and sound recordings
Printed educational charts
Medical loose-leaf pages and binders
Computer-readable media

NOTE: Video games, computer drives, and digital drives do not qualify for Media Mail prices.

Unless the comic is less than 8 pages, why couldn't you send it? You can send 70 pounds of floppy diskettes to some poor soul for mm pricing but not a few comics weighing less than a pound?

I can't believe Policenauts sold out on both DD and Mondo already. I missed the limited drop Saturday and decided to hold off for Mondo's black or white copies only for them to sell out before I was able to get to a computer. Either DD didn't get many copies pressed or way more people bought the soundtrack than the game.

Re: Katamari: What's the difference between the two variants available? I bought the first pressing in March but it looks like there are two more variants available with Mondo only having shown off pics of their exclusive variant. Is the "180g Katamari Swirl" variant what the other stores are gonna get?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I went to a record store that alphabetized by first name and it was awful.

Still better than what most stores do, i.e. organized by "genre" and then name. How the gently caress am I supposed to know what the store idiots consider any particular record to be?! :rant: Even worse if they also separate domestic vs. international for some loving reason.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Bloodplay it again posted:

Is the "180g Katamari Swirl" variant what the other stores are gonna get?

I figured that was just the original pressing, as it's sold out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean you'd think this was an easy choice but then stuff like Ariel Pink / Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti comes along, or Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and you're there like whaaaa

Part of the reason I got a turntable was because I spent untold hours agonizing over how to organize my MP3s and I just wanted to grab poo poo from a shelf and play music again. I do still agonize over my MP3s though.

(release date within artist is definitely the way to go though, for either)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I didn't even bother trying to alphabetize all the Μелодия records I have that only have cyrillic names/titles on them. That hell will keep for another evening.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

content posted:

I figured that was just the original pressing, as it's sold out.

Maybe it was leftovers from March? I added one to my cart about an hour ago to see if I could find a thumbnail in the cart but it was just the cover. Now it shows sold out. For what it's worth, I think the second pressing has cooler colors anyway.

Anyone know if the System of a Down represses will be available from US vendors? I'd like to pick up Steal This Album, Toxicity, and Mesmerize next month.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Sort everything by label and catalog number :c00lbutt:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Boinks posted:

Sort everything by label and catalog number :c00lbutt:

A surprising amount* of stuff doesn't have either.

*) Like, more than half a dozen.

e: Actually, I've never checked the records themselves for numbers so maybe there is one. I'm talking about white-label releases. Some of which have black labels to confuse me!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've always wanted to try sorting by release date, but never have gotten around to it.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I organize alphabetically by surname if it's billed as the solo artist, or if the group name contains the full name of the leader:

Elvis Costello and the Attractions / Elvis Costello: both C
The J. Geils Band : G
Paul Simon : S

If the group name doesn't contain anyone's full name, alphabetically by the first word:

Bootsy's Rubber Band : B
Adam and the Ants : Ad
Simon and Garfunkel : S (but before Paul Simon)

If there are multiple full names, alphabetically by the first surname:

Daryl Hall & John Oates : H

Pseudonyms and mononyms, alphabetically by the first letter:

LL Cool J : L
Captain Beefheart : C

And then within an artist (or band leader, so Neil Young solo will be mixed with Neil Young and Crazy Horse) it's chronologically by initial release date.

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 12, 2018

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I have my relatively small collection sorted on the shelf sepearated into "vibes" just to piss off someone in this thread

Video game ost is one of the vibe categories

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Moe_Rahn posted:

I organize alphabetically by surname if it's billed as the solo artist, or if the group name contains the full name of the leader:

Elvis Costello and the Attractions / Elvis Costello: both C
The J. Geils Band : G
Paul Simon : S

If the group name doesn't contain anyone's full name, alphabetically by the first word:

Bootsy's Rubber Band : B
Adam and the Ants : Ad
Simon and Garfunkel : S (but before Paul Simon)

If there are multiple full names, alphabetically by the first surname:

Daryl Hall & John Oates : H

Pseudonyms and mononyms, alphabetically by the first letter:

LL Cool J : L
Captain Beefheart : B

And then within an artist (or band leader, so Neil Young solo will be mixed with Neil Young and Crazy Horse) it's chronologically by initial release date.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Still better than what most stores do, i.e. organized by "genre" and then name. How the gently caress am I supposed to know what the store idiots consider any particular record to be?! :rant: Even worse if they also separate domestic vs. international for some loving reason.

This is my hell when I'm looking for John Zorn stuff.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Alphabetical by artist last name and then album by year. If you start with a number, spell out the number.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Schremp Howard posted:

Alphabetical by artist last name and then album by year. If you start with a number, spell out the number.
And put 10cc in the T's? No thank you. Numerals go at the beginning of everything, spelled-out numbers (e.g. Three Dog Night) go under their appropriate letter.

Hey, my brain might be broke, but it's broke in ways that make sense to me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Moe_Rahn posted:

Hey, my brain might be broke, but it's broke in ways that make sense to me.

Oh I'm agreeing with ya, that is the perfect system IMO

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I sort mine alphabetically from the last name of the artist. Within that is studio albums by release date, live albums from the concert date, then singles by release, then miscellaneous releases like bootlegs & compilations. Soundtracks have their own cubby.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't think I could ever bring myself to care enough to find out when any given record was released. (I mean I care about the music obviously, and finding a record I want to listen to, just not when who did what.)

I know a lot of guys do care but it always sounds odd to me when people talk about "[band name]'s 1977 album [album name] was blah blah blah" like if I need to know their loving history I'll hit up BingTM; they're all dead to me anyway.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Two things I've noticed:

-He of course has a copy of Whipped Cream and Other Delights
-I've never seen a copy of Before and After Science without the white border around the cover photo.

Moai Ou posted:

I sort mine alphabetically from the last name of the artist. Within that is studio albums by release date, live albums from the concert date, then singles by release, then miscellaneous releases like bootlegs & compilations. Soundtracks have their own cubby.

This is exactly how I do it. Although a very specific rule I have is that the original Alice Cooper band is under A and his solo stuff is under C. For the original line up the whole band was called Alice Cooper.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't think I could ever bring myself to care enough to find out when any given record was released. (I mean I care about the music obviously, and finding a record I want to listen to, just not when who did what.)

I know a lot of guys do care but it always sounds odd to me when people talk about "[band name]'s 1977 album [album name] was blah blah blah" like if I need to know their loving history I'll hit up BingTM; they're all dead to me anyway.

I remember all that poo poo easily because I'm on the spectrum. And judging from my interactions with various record dealers and other collectors over the years I think a great deal of people involved in this hobby also are.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Who here uses plastic sleeves on the outside of their records?

I swear, I don't get it. It's like, unsleeve that. Then unsleeve from cardboard. Then unsleeve from inner sleeve. Then play. Dang mang.

I know records cost a lot but I don't feel the need to like hermetically seal them.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jeeves posted:

I swear, I don't get it. It's like, unsleeve that. Then unsleeve from cardboard. Then unsleeve from inner sleeve. Then play. Dang mang.

I know records cost a lot but I don't feel the need to like hermetically seal them.
I do it because my house gets dusty and it's easier to clean dust off the plastic

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

jeeves posted:

It helps keep the dust off the records. Some people also use them to protect the covers from shelf wear.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

jeeves posted:

Naw man you gotta take the record out of the jacket, toss that lovely paper sleeve that's leaking dust and flecks of paper all over it, and put it in a fresh plastic anti-static sleeve. Then you put the record jacket in the outer plastic sleeve, and the antistatic sleeve containing the record in with it (on the backside, so you can still see the front cover). That way when you want to play, you just dip into the plastic sleeve and pull the record out. Half the time I leave the antistatic sleeve tucked in the outer plastic sleeve anyway. It takes two seconds to pull a record off the shelf, reach into the top of the plastic sleeve and pull only the record out of the whole contraption. No more ringwear, no more split seams. All printed inner sleeves, documentation, etc. stays inside the jacket for safe keeping, and if I ever want to reflect on it I have plenty of time while the record is actually playing to unpack the whole thing and put it all back together.

Collecting!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I put most of my records in plastic sleeves to prevent wear and tear and always do this for new records. It absolutely makes a difference in keeping the covers/sleeves in great shape. They are pretty cheap as well, think I got 100 on Amazon for $20 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I remember all that poo poo easily because I'm on the spectrum. And judging from my interactions with various record dealers and other collectors over the years I think a great deal of people involved in this hobby also are.

Yeah I'm not a record collector I just like to listen to music and unfortunately the invisible hand of the marketplace has as of yet to come up with a handier way than records to do that.

jeeves posted:

Twice have I had someone drop mayonnaise in my record crate so :shrug: (Also you align the cardboard sleeve and the outer sleeve openings.)