Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Weaknesses can be good, but only when they're interesting, or when the player is permitted to overcome them in interesting ways.

As written, Sunlight Sensitivity lacks engagement. It's a restriction with no wiggle room, unless you've got a magic item that makes it a non-issue to begin with. If you or your target are in direct sunlight, you're at a disadvantage. Period. Nothing you can do about it. Even if you're prepared to kill from the shadows, narrating how you hurl a knife or cast a spell as you slip down a shaded alleyway, all your target has to do is stay outside. That's lame. It barely even qualifies as fuel for role-play, divorced from mechanics.

Couldn't you apply the same argument to humans not having low-light vision or darkvision? All your target has to do is stay in the shadows and you are at disadvantage, period, unless you have a magic item to give you darkvision. That's lame.

Dr. Tough posted:

I'd like some thoughts on this: arcane eye. I'm DMing and one of the players has a diviner PC and he uses arcane eye to literally scout out entire dungeons. This has happened twice and I'm finding it more than a bit annoying because it's time consuming and seemed absurdly powerful. Today I was rereading the spell's description and saw the following: "You create an invisible, magical eye ... that hovers in the air". Should I be having him make stealth checks for this thing? Invisibility according to the PHB basically just makes it so attacks against you are at disadvantage, your attacks are at advantage, and you can use the hide action whenever you want. Via Google it seems that most people seem to just assume that it's a "wizard scouts dungeon for free for an hour" which does seem correct according to the RAW?

I'll second the "talk with your players" advice. But note that standing around for an hour concentrating on a spell isn't the safest thing to do outside a dungeon unless the denizens are all locked in their rooms. A wandering encounter or two is always a possibility. It's also fair to have the inhabitants prepared for the PCs because the feeling of being watched put them on edge. What you're most wrestling with, I would guess, is how some adventures are written to be very passive. If the PCs were being hunted down by foes, for example, Arcane Eye isn't that useful. So it's circumstances of the adventure that are maximizing its utility, in the same way that cold protection items are great when adventuring on a glacier but not so much on the Elemental Plane of Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I would try to home rule that the eye is not "invisible" but instead has to make a stealth check against the passive perception of the most perceptive creature in any room it enters. That would let it be useful but give it a tense "press your luck" feel.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Arcane Eye is a 4th level spell that lets you scout out things at a snails pace.

It doesn't need any other penalties.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
30 feet every 6 seconds. I'd hate to have your snails.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Can only see to a range of 30 feet.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"There is no limit to how far away from you the eye can move"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't really see what the snail's pace has to do with the issue as stated - it doesn't play out in real time. Do you unconditionally give the party willing to wait an hour a map of the dungeon and catalogue of inhabitants, or do you make some caveat?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Imagined posted:

"There is no limit to how far away from you the eye can move"

It moves 30 feet and can only see to a range of 30 feet.

It's good for scouting a room next door, but if you want to map out a dungeon/building you're going to have to cast it nearby and then be busy fiddling with it for a while.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't really see what the snail's pace has to do with the issue as stated - it doesn't play out in real time. Do you unconditionally give the party willing to wait an hour a map of the dungeon and catalogue of inhabitants, or do you make some caveat?

Basically. The DM's problem here is that he's actually setting aside half an hour of session time just having the Wizard flying his camera drone about in real-time, and that's bad for the same reason it's bad when sneaky Rogues decide to 'scout ahead'.

Just hand over a rough map of the dungeon and a list of interesting things the wizard might've spotted in the hour they had their sensor out, assuming they didn't outright get interrupted.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 12, 2018

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's invisible, can see in all directions at once, and can move as far away from you as you want without you moving an inch. If you're not actively in combat, how can it not map out everything in a 3.4 mile area (5 ft per second = 3.4 mph) with no drawbacks except a spell slot?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Imagined posted:

It's invisible, can see in all directions at once, and can move as far away from you as you want without you moving an inch. If you're not actively in combat, how can it not map out everything in a 3.4 mile area (5 ft per second = 3.4 mph) with no drawbacks except a spell slot?

It can and it should.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

If you're using a typical dungeon setup then yeah, Arcane Eye is going to mess it up. I would fix it one of two ways:

If you're using a pre-written dungeon where this is a serious problem for whatever reason, talk to the player (like an adult!) about why it's loving up the game and discuss modifications like making it visible but stealthy or changing the range or duration. They might be fine just not using it if you swap it in for another spell, like Clairvoyance, that does a similar thing with less disruption of the game.

If you're designing the dungeon yourself, or if you're comfortable modifying an existing module, then my solution would be to just...let them look at it. Make encounters that have hidden elements that the eye can't see, or just encounters that are not modified usefully by foreknowledge. If there's a big brightly lit room full of ogres guarding a door, you can only do so much to mitigate the fact that you gotta fight a bunch of ogres. The eye is also only as good at noticing traps as the wizard is, so all that scouting might be for naught if the fighter triggers an alarm at the entrance and now all the monsters shift position and ready themselves for the party.

You can also use enemies who can see invisible things, or anti-magic shells and such to detect and disrupt the eye. If it's a common tactic for your party, their enemies might become aware of that fact. Those enemies in the dungeon, for that matter, are not static. They might have scouts that find the party while the wizard is doing his Eye trick. They might even use the same spell to scope out the party! Sure the PCs know about the ogre room, but the ogre room might also know that they're coming.

I have a bad habit of assuming that every game has to be a mystery full of secret knowledge that the GM has and the players don't, but when you start getting into heavy magic use you have to shift the playing field a little bit and really consider why a given thing needs to be a secret. The PCs still presumably need to encounter whatever it is, so you can always just say "Ok, there's a dragon in there. What are you going to do about it?"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

There's always walls, doors, puzzles and so forth you can use to limit how much the eye can scout.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's always walls, doors, puzzles and so forth you can use to limit how much the eye can scout.

TBH, my first thought WAS 'How is the eye opening doors?'

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bad Seafood posted:

mechanics presumably designed to service adventures in multiple worlds with different rules.
*hollow laughter*

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I have absolutely added doors to modules when running Adventurer’s League games with players that absolutely insist on using their invisible imp familiar to scout everything reachable before going in.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/1039916789130395648?s=21

:getin:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
also that same question but a level 2, twice-per-short-rest power - a druid, wild-shaped into a spider is also pretty good at getting a feel for a dungeon layout and contents, and is also pretty good at crawling under doors

at least that gives me room to get him in trouble, sometimes, but I'm not gonna make it fail every time to spite him

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So I was flipping through the various monster races and why do hobgoblins make such good wizards

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Con and Int bonuses, free training with two martial weapons and light armour, and Saving Face is a nice bonus to ensure your attacks hit/you pass concentration checks.

Also thematically, a Hobgoblin Warmage makes total sense.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 12, 2018

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Wasn't one of the big badass archmages of Mystaria a Hobgoblin?

Or was he a Bugbear....

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Well the final answer that my group is going to use (and this received no complaints) is if the caster moves the eye into an area with monsters they'll need to make a stealth roll at advantage against the monsters' passive perception. On failure it's pretty standard invisibility stuff: monsters know there is something in a certain square but not precisely what and can attack at disadvantage, wizard can attempt the hide action when his turn comes back up.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Nonstandard races are the best races, kobold PCs all day err day.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Con and Int bonuses, free training with two martial weapons and light armour, and Saving Face is a nice bonus to ensure your attacks hit/you pass concentration checks.

Also thematically, a Hobgoblin Warmage makes total sense.

Volo's guide to monsters had an entry on Hobgoblin's and their views to magic.

Edit: I am not great at typing out my thoughts. Here is the entry instead, as the Devastator is a cool enemy.

Volo's guide to Monsters posted:

In hobgoblin society, the Academy of Devastation identifies hobgoblins with a talent for magic and puts them through a grueling training regimen that endows them with the ability to call down fireballs and other destructive magic on the host’s behalf. A hobgoblin devastator on the battlefield is simultaneously a boon to all its allies and a threat to every foe around it.

Into the Fray. While other cultures treat their wizards as cloistered academics, hobgoblins expect their spellcasters to fight. Devastators learn the basics of weapon use, and they measure their deeds by the enemies defeated though their magic.

Devastators have the respect of other members of the host, and they receive obedience and deference from many quarters. Their ability to lay waste to entire formations with a single use of magic allows them to gain far more glory in battle than a single warrior.

Other cultures might view the use of such abilities as a short cut to glory, but to hobgoblins a gift for magic is as valued and useful as a strong sword arm or brilliance in tactics. They are all boons from Maglubiyet that must be cultivated and unleashed upon the enemy.

Only Results Matter. Devastators study a simplified form of evocation magic. Their training lacks the theory and context that other folk study, making them skilled in battle but relatively illiterate on the finer points of how and why their magic works.

The Academy of Devastation believes that an academic approach to magic is a sign of weakness and inefficiency. A warrior doesn’t need to know about metallurgy to wield a blade, so why should a wizard care about where magic comes from? Devastators love to prove their superiority in battle by seeking out enemy spellcasters and destroying them.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 12, 2018

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

MonsterEnvy posted:

Volo's guide to monsters had an entry on Hobgoblin's and their views to magic.

Edit: I am not great at typing out my thoughts. Here is the entry instead, as the Devastator is a cool enemy.

This is beautiful.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Dr. Tough posted:

Well the final answer that my group is going to use (and this received no complaints) is if the caster moves the eye into an area with monsters they'll need to make a stealth roll at advantage against the monsters' passive perception. On failure it's pretty standard invisibility stuff: monsters know there is something in a certain square but not precisely what and can attack at disadvantage, wizard can attempt the hide action when his turn comes back up.

If the problem is that the Wizard is eating up session time on a solo adventure while flying around their magical invisible camera drone, why is your solution to make said solo adventure even more involved and time consuming?

Conspiratiorist posted:

Basically. The DM's problem here is that he's actually setting aside half an hour of session time just having the Wizard flying his camera drone about in real-time, and that's bad for the same reason it's bad when sneaky Rogues decide to 'scout ahead'.

Just hand over a rough map of the dungeon and a list of interesting things the wizard might've spotted in the hour they had their sensor out, assuming they didn't outright get interrupted.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Tremek posted:

Wow I guess you're right those poor misunderstood sods really do deserve representation in a party of heroes

I do agree that racist religious fundamentalists probably don't belong in a heroic party.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Tendales posted:

I do agree that racist religious fundamentalists probably don't belong in a heroic party.

But that's every Paladin and most Clerics.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Clearly you haven't played 5e and should be ignored. Paladins can get by with any belief that excuses racism if they're evil, not just church. :colbert:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tremek posted:

On the subject of drow:

Quick diversion, I grew up playing a text MUD where there were a dozen+ races and ~30 classes and subclasses. Not all races were granted equal representation at being good at each class or role; this is to say that giant ogre wizards were dumb as poo poo and their rogues were bad at sneaking around and backstabbing things, and tinker gnome barbarians were bad at berserking and feats of strength. Generally consistent with a world that actually has standards, even though all PCs were still the light of the world and paragons of exceptionalism.

D&D, however, is even more forgiving as there aren't any specific class/race combination negatives - simply positives as racial bonuses apply to primary stats. So as I think about D&D, I find myself surprised how mad many of you are about not being able to play your Mary Sue Edgelords out to your heart's content at every turn. If drow are ok, then why not illithids? If drow, then why not troglodytes?

Yes, you're all playing extraordinary and amazing this and thats, but that you're drawn like moths to a flame that as written is allowed in 5e but is imperfect because hey, the designers probably don't want PCs playing them in AL and hell the very universe (giant glowing orb in the sky) doesn't like them - and autistic screeching ensues over this minor slight - boggles the mind.

Throwing fits about the slightest bit of adversity your super special snowflake might face when played - is the D&D equivalent of helicopter moms throwing a tantrum at their child's English teacher because Mary Sue got an A- AND SHE WON'T BE GETTING INTO IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS WITHOUT A 4.0 GPA
...I'll bite. Are you actually saying here that Drow are unfun to play on purpose? That the designers went "Well, we don't want people playing Drow, but they'll whine if they can't so we will, on purpose, make playing Drow suck poo poo for the player out of spite"?

And you're in favour of this?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Tremek posted:

On the subject of drow:

Quick diversion, I grew up playing a text MUD where there were a dozen+ races and ~30 classes and subclasses. Not all races were granted equal representation at being good at each class or role; this is to say that giant ogre wizards were dumb as poo poo and their rogues were bad at sneaking around and backstabbing things, and tinker gnome barbarians were bad at berserking and feats of strength. Generally consistent with a world that actually has standards, even though all PCs were still the light of the world and paragons of exceptionalism.

D&D, however, is even more forgiving as there aren't any specific class/race combination negatives - simply positives as racial bonuses apply to primary stats. So as I think about D&D, I find myself surprised how mad many of you are about not being able to play your Mary Sue Edgelords out to your heart's content at every turn. If drow are ok, then why not illithids? If drow, then why not troglodytes?

Yes, you're all playing extraordinary and amazing this and thats, but that you're drawn like moths to a flame that as written is allowed in 5e but is imperfect because hey, the designers probably don't want PCs playing them in AL and hell the very universe (giant glowing orb in the sky) doesn't like them - and autistic screeching ensues over this minor slight - boggles the mind.

Throwing fits about the slightest bit of adversity your super special snowflake might face when played - is the D&D equivalent of helicopter moms throwing a tantrum at their child's English teacher because Mary Sue got an A- AND SHE WON'T BE GETTING INTO IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS WITHOUT A 4.0 GPA

this isn't a post that should include accusing other people of autistic screeching

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Conspiratiorist posted:

If the problem is that the Wizard is eating up session time on a solo adventure while flying around their magical invisible camera drone, why is your solution to make said solo adventure even more involved and time consuming?
If you want next-level adventure construction, make a puzzle (or whatever) so dangerous or convoluted that only Arcane Eye can find the correct path. Maybe a complicated maze that the party has to traverse in under a minute, so they need to figure out the exact path ahead of time. A mystery where the only clue is a strand of hair or a drop of blood to use with Scrying. Make a fortress that's only reachable via Teleportation Circles. Instead of the Wizard's high level magic skipping challenges, only a high-level Wizard has the ability to get on the ride in the first place.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Splicer posted:

...I'll bite. Are you actually saying here that Drow are unfun to play on purpose? That the designers went "Well, we don't want people playing Drow, but they'll whine if they can't so we will, on purpose, make playing Drow suck poo poo for the player out of spite"?

And you're in favour of this?

I'll bite in turn: has it not occurred to you that yes, this is a (possible) real reason drow suck mechanically? It may come as a shock but game designers try to discourage what they don't like or isn't beneficial to their game/IP.

To reference an earlier edition:

WOTC wants to make money from D&D. Building the brand back up from its 4e nadir has taken a lot of work, but all else being equal, letting 12 year old murderhobos sit at an AL table replaying every evil (drow included) trope doesn't help the brand. Do what you want at your home table of course, but it's logically consistent that the designers aren't going to have a sudden change of heart just to allow you guys all to in-canon play and probably gently caress up a lot of other peoples' good times as cringy no-really-I'm-not-evil trainwrecks.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I'm sorry but building it back up from its most profitable time? What? The only reason 5e might be more profitable is because they aren't spending money on actually making any product, and they lucked out on the streaming boom brought about by groups like Critical Roll.

Some people seem to have this weird misconception that 4e was a "failure" because it was unprofitable or unpopular. No 4e "failed" because any game that didn't get height of World of Warcraft numbers would have failed the insane goals that were set for 4e.

Also did you miss the part where they asked if you were in favor of making races/classes suck to discourage players from playing them. Because if that is indeed what the developers did then that is straight up terrible and should be punished.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You see fighters aren't boring, it's just when any person can pick up a sword is it really special or noteworthy to use one well?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Tremek posted:

I'll bite in turn: has it not occurred to you that yes, this is a (possible) real reason drow suck mechanically? It may come as a shock but game designers try to discourage what they don't like or isn't beneficial to their game/IP.

Then shouldn't the designers just say that and disallow it instead of being passive aggressive?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ryuujin posted:

I'm sorry but building it back up from its most profitable time? What? The only reason 5e might be more profitable is because they aren't spending money on actually making any product, and they lucked out on the streaming boom brought about by groups like Critical Roll.

Some people seem to have this weird misconception that 4e was a "failure" because it was unprofitable or unpopular. No 4e "failed" because any game that didn't get height of World of Warcraft numbers would have failed the insane goals that were set for 4e.

Also did you miss the part where they asked if you were in favor of making races/classes suck to discourage players from playing them. Because if that is indeed what the developers did then that is straight up terrible and should be punished.
Please. Everyone knows Drizzt causing countless Drow PC edgelords didn't exist until 4th edition.

Drizzt doesn't have problems out in the sun, therefore, 4th edition garbage. :eng101:

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.

Tremek posted:

To reference an earlier edition:

My understanding is the concept of good/evil in earlier editions had concrete and tangible repercussions, but that only really applies to celestials and fiends in 5e. You might find a bunch of kids playing as not-Drizzt annoying and cringeworthy but it's not defiling the sanctity of the canon or the Brand or whatever.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Ryuujin posted:

In defense of 4e,

I’m not locked in on what that word salad was trying to communicate but I’m still confident it doesn’t matter as for whatever slights Mearls/Crawford/Perkins have trespassed against this august body it’s clearly working out for WOTC.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

gandhichan posted:

My understanding is the concept of good/evil in earlier editions had concrete and tangible repercussions, but that only really applies to celestials and fiends in 5e. You might find a bunch of kids playing as not-Drizzt annoying and cringeworthy but it's not defiling the sanctity of the canon or the Brand or whatever.
They did. It's still weird to me that Protection from Evil and Good is so drastically altered from Protection from Evil (and from Good, Chaos, and Law). Clerics couldn't cast spells that opposed their or their deity's alignment (so a cleric of a chaotic deity couldn't cast a [lawful] spell), paladins could only be LG, barbarians had to be chaotic, monks had to be lawful, spells affected characters differently based on alignments, etc. Compared to 3.5/PF, alignment doesn't exist in 5e.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tremek posted:

Why would they want to try to discourage something they decided to include?

Alternately, why would they include something that they would then need to discourage?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 12, 2018