Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Inbox being of life support was an open secret at Google for like a year now.

If you're wondering what the functional replacement for bundles is, the answer is there isn't one. My manager keeps trying to sell me on this spreadsheet going around that's a miserable pile of app script meant to work around gmails lack of useful filters and sorting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
we tried to get scholar to unblock an IP

lol

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
what did inbox offer that gmail didnt?

is gmail the service and inbox "outlook"?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it's a better email client imo

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Triglav posted:

is gmail the service and inbox "outlook"?

well, it's sort of like a hip-hop email client

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Pham Nuwen posted:

lol

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i tried inbox once and it was googles bad ai making random wrong guesses about which emails i wanted to see. a+++

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Triglav posted:

a shiny promotion for one of their engineers

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
also lol that google is using the iphone news hurricane to bury the bad news

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

no diggity

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

The main best feature in Inbox is bundles, which are like the topic tabs in gmail except you have an unlimited number of them, they float in the inbox list with everything else, and you can configure them how you want based on labels and filters.

It's a godsend if you get tons of broad blast email constantly that you might want to group by topic, glance over, but not hide and shitcan automatically. There's nothing like it that comes close in gmail. Worse, because they use the same backend (Inbox is basically an alternative UI for Gmail) once you have inbox setup just so, when you switch back to Gmail it's just complete and total chaos.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

poty posted:

i tried inbox once and it was googles bad ai making random wrong guesses about which emails i wanted to see. a+++

oh yeah, outlook/owa have this now too. it's called "focused inbox" and it's dogshit garbage that should never have gotten out of beta

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
focused inbox rules and works gr8

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe if you're some kind of gibbering idiot who receives emails you don't want to see, but still want to have for some reason

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

man, if only there were some way my computer could decide not to show me emails that aren't junk. that'd be real loving useful, not seeing email people send to me, ostensibly for a reason

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
focused inbox filters out poo poo like company news letters and system notifications that I might care about at some point so I don't want to delete them, but I also don't want to read them.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
basically focused inbox is emails from humans and other is emails from computers that aren't spam.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so they invented another spam filter, but one that also might flag poo poo that i need to see, on account of i haven't already blocked it as spam

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not a spam filter cause its legitimate email

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my secret email power move is to filter out any message with "unsubscribe" in it

send all of those to a junk folder, glance through it once a week to see if there were any false positives (about 1 per month), delete the rest

amazingly effective

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

my secret email power move is to filter out any message with "unsubscribe" in it

send all of those to a junk folder, glance through it once a week to see if there were any false positives (about 1 per month), delete the rest

amazingly effective

:dudsmile:

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

mrmcd posted:

The main best feature in Inbox is bundles, which are like the topic tabs in gmail except you have an unlimited number of them, they float in the inbox list with everything else, and you can configure them how you want based on labels and filters.

It's a godsend if you get tons of broad blast email constantly that you might want to group by topic, glance over, but not hide and shitcan automatically. There's nothing like it that comes close in gmail. Worse, because they use the same backend (Inbox is basically an alternative UI for Gmail) once you have inbox setup just so, when you switch back to Gmail it's just complete and total chaos.

so its outlook rules by google

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

amazingly effective

i may use this thx

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

graph posted:

we tried to get scholar to unblock an IP

lol

how the hell do you even get blocked from google scholar?

im sure i dont actually dont want to know, but wtf

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

maybe mass downloading/indexing like that one guy who offed himself did with that other service

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

amazingly effective

i did this and it caught a couple github notifications before i fixed it so be careful!!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

maybe if you're some kind of gibbering idiot who receives emails you don't want to see, but still want to have for some reason

i'm more of a lazy rear end in a top hat than a gibbering idiot

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Last Chance posted:

maybe mass downloading/indexing like that one guy who offed himself did with that other service

yeah, just scraping it for information can lock you out if there’s too many requests too quick. noticed the python tools I was using to do so had built in timers to deal with this when I was trying to make knowledge networks following citations

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

bundles never made any loving sense as a concept and I'm glad Inbox died rather than poison Gmail proper

I think rjmccall explained bundles years ago when Inbox was introduced as a non-feature for Google employees that get tons of pointless monitoring status mail that they never read

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
This thread got me to re-install Inbox. It must have improved because it's less-bad than when I played around with it a couple of years ago (?).

Welp, that's my story, thanks for listening!

:tipshat:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Schadenboner posted:

This thread got me to re-install Inbox. It must have improved because it's less-bad than when I played around with it a couple of years ago (?).

Welp, that's my story, thanks for listening!

:tipshat:

it got me to clean my inbox but every ui is awful so i resorted to thunderbird with a ux right from the mid 2000s and it was good and fast and made the google ui look embarrassing

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i have 2700 unread emails in my inbox and that's after cleaning it down to 0 about a year ago.

i should try doing thunderbird again and get more zealous about unsubscribing from bullshit

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

mrmcd posted:

so the use case is: tech workers at extremely large corporations that use gmail.

yeah okay i can see why this got killed.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

(it's because it didn't bring in any ad revenue)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that’s clearly a necessary but not sufficient condition for a product to be killed

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

that’s clearly a necessary but not sufficient condition for a product to be killed
????????

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

nah. there are google products that bring in ad revenue and there are google products that are going to be axed.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

forward all monitoring mails that dont include "error" or "failure" to the trash

actually just send them all there. you'll find out about poo poo that matters from someone else

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pham Nuwen posted:

i have 2700 unread emails in my inbox and that's after cleaning it down to 0 about a year ago.

i should try doing thunderbird again and get more zealous about unsubscribing from bullshit

are you my mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my inbox has 6 read emails that are there because im not done dealing with them

• Locked thread