Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Talk to the noble savage

There's definitely something afoot here, let's -try- and figure out all the angles while we haven't blown our cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
You can also scare the bear away with a high enough Intimidate. Hard to decide sometimes whether getting the meat & hide or sparing it is more worth it.

Ask for incentive, then go chat with the Native American.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Darth TNT posted:

So let's keep pretending to help them so we can maybe bring an indian friend. I'd like to talk to the noble savage please.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

achtungnight posted:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

woah now, let's get paid first:

achtungnight posted:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: Ask for incentive, then go chat with the Native American.

Thanks for re-writing that, by the way.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Well, let's try to get some money out of this first.

quote:

"This falls outside my usual work bounds. I'll need an incentive."

"Pecuniary incentive?" Anya asks and exchanges a glance with Randall that speaks volumes in an instant. "Very well. Ten dollars hazard-pay."

"Thirty."
"Twenty."
"Ten, up front."
"Deal."

Ten whole dollars! (which translates to +2 wealth, and is kind of the reason it's abstracted) Since it sounds increasingly unlikely that we'll actually do the job they asked, we can try to get paid in advance, but we're short in Persuasion to actually pull it off (and getting a raise is even harder).

quote:

"Ten, up front."

"You will get your money, if you succeed," Anya says firmly. There is clearly no way to move her.

Randall rises and heads back towards the camp, "Follow."

It is a short walk through dusty rows of tents. Some with blankets or cots while others are stacked high with boxes. One bears a sign emblazoned with a black splash of paint in the shape of a skull. Beyond there, in a dug down recess, lies many a powder keg.

Randall leads you on, halts at one of the smaller tents and pulls back the flap. Just inside lies a well-made man in a once fine tunic and trousers. A white shirt has been covered in dust and the torn remnants of a short black tie remains under the collar. His cheekbones could carve stone while his broad brow is adorned by close cropped midnight hair. An American Indian, and unmoving.

Your guide gives the Indian a swift kick that barely elicits a grunt. Dark eyes flicker open to reveal a penetrating stare as the Indian slowly sits up.

Randall gestures to you as he steps away and wipes idly at his boot, "Here he is, Chopper. Call when done. But let him not talk of papers and injunctions. Those now gone."

"Randall!" Schmidt barks in indignation. "How can you treat him like that?"

"My house, my rules," Randall replies, "you want talk more, we go outside and leave marshal to this."

Schmidt mutters under his breath but still exits with the Red Ribbon owner.

The Indian continues to stare up at you as if all else in the world were but clouds and rain.

1. "How, Indian."
2. "Yahtehey."
3. "Do you speak English?"

Time to say hello.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
So do they know we're the Marshal now? He called us that. Guess our cover's blown. :sigh: This game is well-written but some parts do need more gameplay-story segregation and polish, I will admit.

How, Indian. Traditional methods of greeting are probably best and we know he talks English if he was speaking about papers.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
B Let's greet him in the traditional tongue of lawyers.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: 3. "Do you speak English?"

Let's start off on the right footing here.

***** edit *****

Please please pretty please we're 'scorched earthing' these bible thumping racist robber barons, yes?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

but they have so many positive qualities

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Sounds right.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU SPEAK IT?!

We don't need the measly :10bux: they're offering us. The Indians probably have gold.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea that we let Schmidt go away with Randall. :ohdear:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Time to say hello as nicely as possible.

quote:

"Yahtehey." (+5 Yiska)

"If that is Navaho, then the greeting is pronounced ya'at'eeh. And my knowing this does not mean that I am myself a…never mind. It is the thought that counts," the Indian replies, peers into the distance in consideration. "For your greeting is more appropriate than you know."

"Your English is very good."

quote:

"You should hear my French. My Latin... is painful. Please do not ask after my Greek," he replies collegially. "I am called Yiska."
1. Introduce yourself
2. Start asking questions

"You are confusing me."

quote:

"Imagine how I feel," the Indian sighs. "Call me Yiska."
Introduce yourself
3. "What does Yiska mean?"

"My greeting is more appropriate than…"

quote:

"...than you know," the Indian repeats. "Let us leave that for later, as we have not even exchanged names. You should call me Yiska."
Introduce yourself
"What does Yiska mean?"

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Introduce ourselves. Be nice to this stranger.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: Introduce yourself

Hello Yiska, I'm a Celestial, or, so they call me. What say we show these pale skins the error of their prejudices?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Introduce us.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Introduce ourselves, preparatory to the righteous fury of the aPOCalypse

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Time to introduce ourselves.

quote:

Introduce yourself

"Ruolan Shen," Yiska repeats. "No, those are old names for you and I would not wish to wear them out. I shall instead call you Tahoma, an appropriate Navajo name all things considered."

"What exactly does Tahoma mean?"

quote:

"Tahoma is a Navajo word. I am very good with their language and sometimes it just shines out of me," Yiska says and flashes a small smile, "As for the meaning, let us wait on that until I know you better." (+2 Yiska)

A. "I would really like to know what it means."
B. "I accept your terms."
C. "Tell me."

"Schmidt seemed upset to see you like this.…"

quote:

"He would be. We know each other well," Yiska says as he gathers a little slack in his chains. "But while he may be upset, he will not so much as step on a toe of a friend he is visiting even to help another friend. No, he always tries to steer a course between the tentacles of Scylla and the waters of Charybdis."
A. Oh. I know that tale well.
B. Is that... Greek?

"I note that my name sounds rather masculine."

quote:

"It is," Yiska replies, "is that a problem?"

"Why did you choose the masculine form?"

quote:

"Consider it a mark of respect. Much as Catherine the Great was called 'Le Grande' in French. 'Le' being of the masculine gender," Yiska explains.
"Fine. I'll let this pass for now."
"Much appreciated," Yiska indicates.

"I'm still not happy, but let us move on.
"Yes, lets," Yiska replies.

"Are you blind?"

quote:

"No. Its just... I saw you and the words 'vigor', 'force' and 'courage' leaped to mind," Yiska explains hastily.

"And those are male traits, right?
"Traditionally, excepting Queens such as Elizabeth, Victoria, Boudicca, and so on," Yiska explains.

"Is there any reason that a woman can't be all those things?"
"You've been in Lander County a while. Have you met Miss Caraway?" Yiska asks.

"I'd prefer a different name."

quote:

"Sorry, no take-backs," Yiska says. "If I allowed it even once then everyone would be asking."

"You are strangely well educated."

quote:

"Indeed," Yiska says honestly. "Even amongst whites, I would seem to be advantaged by my east coast education. Lawyer, of course."

"Lawyer?"

quote:

"Yes. Surprised? So was I," Yiska chuckles. "But that tale can wait, I think."

"Oh, that's why you came here."

quote:

"Yes. I had filed an injunction on the hydraulic mining. I even presented it, and they simply ripped it up," Yiska points out wanly.

"Do you just go around naming people?"
"When they carry only old names, it is right to give them a new one," Yiska notes. "After all, one does not wear the clothes of a child forever."

"What does Yiska mean?"
"It is a Navajo word that alludes to a hope they hold. You see, my elders sent me out to grasp up what they could not," Yiska says. "But I fear I have fallen short of their expectations."

"Why don't we stand and talk a while."
Yiska pulls up a leg and you hear a rattle from his ankle. There, gripped tight about the flesh, is a thick manacle of black iron, "A gift from the Admunsens. If I stand, it bites. Thus, I do not stand."

"What brought you to this camp specifically?"
"I came to deliver an injunction, lawfully signed, ordering the cessation of hydraulic mining in this valley. The public good is at stake, you see, for the river here may change course or overflow and flood out previously dry regions. That means towns get flooded and people get killed. I know because there have been similar troubles in California, though the courts out there are bribed subtly and otherwise to look the other way while gold is extracted hand over fist," Yiska states without pause. "Oh, please excuse my diatribe. This is my first important case and it has not gone according to plan."

He then rattles his chain for emphasis. (+2 Yiska)

"Tell me of your people."
"We would be here for days. So, let me sum up instead," Yiska answers. "I am Newe, the tribe the whites call the Shoshone. We have lived in these valleys since before the white man came to bind us up with words that made little sense and promises he refused to keep."

"It starts with the Treaty of 1851, roughly seventeen years ago. And I fear I would put the both of us to sleep for days were I to continue," Yiska concludes.

1. "I need your help with something."
2. "You are going to help me with something."

We got a new name out of this, so will we wait for him to tell us what it means and are we familiar with his mythological reference when discussing Dan Schmidt. Finally, we have a choice as to how we can try to get his aid.

(Also, nesting too many quotes breaks the formatting, apparently. Sacrifices were made.)

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
We accept his terms for now, know the tale well, and need his help with something.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: "I need your help with something."

That being, we're going to feed your injunction to the Admunsens, and I'd prefer it if they choked it down dry.

Time to get Marshal'ing; we have a court ordered injunction to uphold. Everything that happens from here on out is nice and legal.

:clint:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

We accept his terms for now, know the tale well, and need his help with something.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

And I’m with Sebmojo on upholding the injunction. Heh heh.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Agreed with Sebmojo on the injunction as well.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Wait a minute, this isn't a noble Savage! It's a cultured Savage. We shall accept his terms, we're unfamiliar with the story and we need his help.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
First let's be agreeable with the side conversations.

quote:

"I accept your terms."

"I am glad we could come to this arrangement," Yiska nods agreeably. (+2 Yiska)

"Oh. I know that tale well."
"It seemed apt, considering Dan's divided loyalties," Yiska notes. (+5 Yiska)"

And then request his help.

quote:

"I need your help with something."

"I had hoped to hear those very words. Strange though to hear them from an engineer. Then again, it is hard to build while others are attempting to destroy," Yiska weighs that thought a moment. "Will the Admunsens abide by the injunction, even though they tore it up? Do they wish to negotiate in other ways? I am open to a degree of compromise."

"I would like you to come with me to meet your tribe and convince them to halt their attacks upon the miners."

quote:

"Will you?" Yiska asks slowly. "And then what?"
1. "Then I convince the miners to stop mining."
2. "Then the miners keep on doing what they are doing."
3. "Then I leave."
"I would like to know where your tribe is, so I might talk with them."

quote:

"The tribe is not what you would want," Yiska points out with a rattle of chain. "It is the warband you will be seeking. And yes, I could tell you where they are, but I would much rather show you."
Let Yiska accompany you.

quote:

"A good choice. My people are like a telegraph operator who has not yet had his coffee. Twitchy, and not in a good way," Yiska says as he absently rattles the chain about his ankle. "Now then, what are your intentions?"
"To forge a peace here, and then I will convince the miners to stop extracting gold."
"The miners get to keep on doing what they are doing and you take your people home."
4. Deny him.
"I mean to blow up the dam."

quote:

Yiska blinks at you as if he were part humming bird, "Sorry, can you... whisper that again?"
5. "I'm going to blow up the dam and end the conflict here. But I want your help."
6. "I'm going to blow up the dam to make peace with your people, and I want their and your, help."
"Just kidding. I've got other plans."

quote:

"Very funny," Yiska sighs, "do these plans include me in any way?"
"Yes, I want you to come with me while I negotiate with your tribe."
"Not really, I just want directions to your tribe."

So, what's the plan and who's involved?

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Traits: Chinese.
Current Companions: Dan Schmidt, prospector.
Health: Wounded.
Wealth: Enough to drink the occasional beer in a saloon.
Values:
Order: 55% Freedom: 45%
Honor: 60% Arbitrary: 40%
Law: 46% Individuality: 54%
Notoriety: 0% Anonymity: 100%

Skills:
Gunfighting: 47%
Sharpshooting: 33%
Brawling: 36%
Riding: 33%
Survival: 38%
Legal: 14%
Engineering: 12%
Explosives: 19%
Persuasion: 34%
Intimidate: 39%
Stamina: 28%
Resolve: 40%

Influence:
Influence Carson: 68%
Influence Schmidt: 72%
Influence Caraway: 72%
Influence Preston: 80%
Influence Marshal James: 55%
Influence Yiska: 66%

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
At least you don't have to dodge a Civil War battle to do it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I like Option 5 too.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
We're gonna blow up this drat and end the conflict.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

These guys are assholes and its our job as marshal to show no mercy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blowing the dam will gently caress up everything downstream. Including our town.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

Blowing the dam will gently caress up everything downstream. Including our town.

My dude we gotta solve problems 5 minutes at a time. Our first problem is getting the native lawyer free. The next is blowing that dam. Who knows what will happen after that

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Dong Quixote posted:

These guys are assholes and its our job as marshal to show no mercy.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

achtungnight posted:

I like Option 5 too.

Same. These people don't deserve their dam.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

We took a plot inside the town so our "house" is safe.

blow it up!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
6 so we actually have backup and don't get killed as soon as the dam explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Just noting that if we blow up the dam, we blow up the town that we're sort of the sheriff of. That's -probably- not going o go down super well for our job.