Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I had to adjust my monitor setting because, ow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The prettier gzdoom mods get the more those weapon and enemy sprites start to look really out of place.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mordja posted:

Wow, Doomslayer Chronicles is really pretty looking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJkJgXZKh7o
Too bad it's an invasion mod. :(

That seems like something you play with an expanded more interesting weapon set and combat like Project Brutality.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

That seems like something you play with an expanded more interesting weapon set and combat like Project Brutality.

The creators make a Brutal fork called Black Edition, so that shouldn't be too surprising. I played about half of the set on release day; the levels are mostly flat spaces with varying degrees of slopes depending on whether you're outside or not. The only arena that left any real impression on me was near the end of the third level, where you ended up on the floor of a colosseum, and as the fights went on the arena floor would shift up and down, creating variable cover. That was pretty cool, and the ending where the demonic crowd wakes up and starts to fight you was also cool and evocative, if a bit too chaotic. But moments like that were few and far between, and most of the time you're just walking through a corridor until it locks down for the next demon wave, kill the wave, rinse and repeat. The fact that for every beautiful visual shot in there, you either get a bland corridor or horrific abuse of colored lighting not seen since the late 90's doesn't help matters either.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Metroid Prime counts, right?

Well, I just learned that there is a Metroid Prime randomizer. It only supports the Gamecube NTSC 0-00 release, but has a bunch of different options for things like whether to shuffle upgrades and ammo expansions into the same pool, whether to randomize the Chozo artifacts, and whether to assume that you're a complete newbie, someone who can pull off "basic" glitches like scandashing¹, or a hardcore low% speedrunner who's comfortable with going OOB and suitless Magmoor runs.

I also just learned that Dolphin supports widescreen, which works with Metroid Prime, and people have even made custom art patches for it so you can have a widescreen-aware HUD and stuff.

So if you're getting tired of playing Perfect Dark on your computer, now is a good time to fire up Metroid Prime on your computer, get the power bombs and grapple beam five minutes in, and watch the game unravel.

¹ All the fun glitches were fixed in later releases, which is why it only supports 0-00; that said, based on some testing it appears to work in 0-02 on the easiest (glitchless) setting.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Doom Pistol is fine, as long as the opening map isn't some retard's fantasy "PRO CHALLENGE" slaughtermap bullshit and has an opening set of rooms geared toward handling enemies while using such a crummy weapon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The pistol is only fit for fighting the two zombiemen types and imps, so making the player fight anything hardier than that with it before getting a shotgun is a bad idea, but it's really not so bad all things considered. The game needs the pistol, a gun that is worse than the shotgun but given to you earlier, because the shotgun itself is just so drat good that the early levels would be a breeze if it was the starter weapon.

edit: Case in point, look at the first few levels of OG Doom. On Hurt Me Plenty there are less sergeants, and thus less shotgun ammo, meaning you're much more likely to take on imps and zombiemen with it and save the shotgun ammo for pinkies. Contrast with Ultra-Violence, where they had to absolutely stuff the first few levels full of enemies because the player gets the shotgun and more ammo than they could possibly want almost immediately.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 8, 2018

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Don't use ammo on pinkies. Pinkies are for punching.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Bonus points if I get to shoot satan in her penis
The Early FPS Megathread - Bonus points if I get to shoot Satan in Her penis

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Don't use ammo on pinkies. Pinkies are for punching.

Who has that kind of time? There are Mancubi that need to be rocket launch'd.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Metroid Prime counts, right?

Well, I just learned that there is a Metroid Prime randomizer.

This sounds like it'd be pretty fun to watch. Any recommendations on streams or videos?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gloomy Rube posted:

This sounds like it'd be pretty fun to watch. Any recommendations on streams or videos?

I found one video that had quality commentary by the developer of the randomizer, except something went horribly wrong in the mixing process and the commentary was 30s ahead of the gameplay. If I find anything good I'll toss it in here, though.

I hope it catches on, MP1/2 randomizer is a lot more interesting to me than, say, LttP randomizer, which is currently all the rage.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
https://twitter.com/doomwiki/status/1038687474632089602 :(

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
:(

As with Ty Halderman, it feels really weird to find out that these pillars of the community were actually approaching or passing middle age even in Doom's heyday.

RIP classic mapper dude, I liked your stuff.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Oh man, his last project was Daikatana :smith:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
RedneckGDX is out now, if anyone feels like trying it out!

(http://m210.duke4.net/)

Vakal
May 11, 2008
When I die I can only hope news of my passing will be followed by a Redneck Rampage announcement of some sort.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
He also apparently had a hand in Blood before it went to Monolith. I guess little, if any, of his work ended up in the final product, but he does have a page on the Blood Wiki that sadly needs to be updated now.

In lighter news, I am glad that RedneckGDX is out. It can't be more unfinished than eRampage, right?

Edit: Any idea how to set up Route 66? I think it's supposed to be supported but there's no instructions.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 11, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

Edit: Any idea how to set up Route 66? I think it's supposed to be supported but there's no instructions.
From the looks of things, here's how you do it right now (using the GOG version):

• Create a copy of your RR folder
  • Rename TILESA66.art and TILESB66.art to TILES024.art and TILES025.art, respectively.
  • Rename GAME66.CON to GAME.CON (replacing the original)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

From the looks of things, here's how you do it right now (using the GOG version):

• Create a copy of your RR folder
  • Rename TILESA66.art and TILESB66.art to TILES024.art and TILES025.art, respectively.
  • Rename GAME66.CON to GAME.CON (replacing the original)

Thanks! So there is, at the moment, no way to have it set up like BloodGDX with the self contained folders? That's a bit of a shame, but it is a first release. It's pretty solid so far, though of course all the criticisms of the base game still apply. Also, is it just me, or do you have ridiculous spread with auto-aim off?

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Convex posted:

RedneckGDX is out now, if anyone feels like trying it out!

(http://m210.duke4.net/)

Hot drat it actually runs smooth with vsync on unlike stutterfest that is BloodGDX. Hopefully whatever he did comes to it too!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Nokiaman posted:

Hot drat it actually runs smooth with vsync on unlike stutterfest that is BloodGDX. Hopefully whatever he did comes to it too!

God drat it that's what was causing that the whole time?? I just turned it off and now all of a sudden it's silky smooth. What the poo poo does Vsync do anyway? I don't even see a difference with my pleb eyes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Prevents screen tearing by matching the frame rate of the GPU to the monitor’s refresh rate.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

God drat it that's what was causing that the whole time?? I just turned it off and now all of a sudden it's silky smooth. What the poo poo does Vsync do anyway? I don't even see a difference with my pleb eyes.

Yeah the game runs smooth without it, but then you get tearing all over the place. The vsync implementation in BloodGDX is just borked. I noticed he uses updated version of the library in RedneckGDX so fingers crossed that's it.

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 12, 2018

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm trying to enjoy Death Wish but these key hunts are just annihilating the pacing. I'm on the third drat level and I have like 4 loving keys and none of them work on any of the bazillion locked doors. I thought Hellbound's switch hunts were bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What the poo poo does Vsync do anyway? I don't even see a difference with my pleb eyes.

Sorry to pick on you but I just spent days explaining vsync to a goon in the quake thread and it kinda blows my mind that fps fans in 2018 don't know what graphics options do.

You can just google that poo poo, any time day or night :effort:

(Most of the time you won't see a difference, its about handling situations where your GPU and monitor are running at different speeds, causing "tearing")

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kids these days, being so far removed from having to hand-write a custom configuration file to perfectly tweak a game, have forgotten what it was like when playing a game actually meant something.

I'm mostly joking but not knowing what an option does when it still shows up in every game ever is kind of shameful.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
On the other hand, given how Vsynch can, depending on the engine either be totally fine or be completely unacceptable, it's fair to ask "what the gently caress is going on and why is something so universal causing me so many problems?"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Back in my day we had custom autoexec.bat and config.sys configurations just to get our 386-486 IBM compatible PCs to have enough of their 640k of conventional memory to run dforces.exe. I made liberal use of memmaker.exe as well. Kids these days.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
New Duke!

https://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-alien-armageddon/downloads

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Nokiaman posted:

Yeah the game runs smooth without it, but then you get tearing all over the place. The vsync implementation in BloodGDX is just borked. I noticed he uses updated version of the library in RedneckGDX so fingers crossed that's it.

The main page says he's updating BloodGDX with it as well! :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A.o.D. posted:

On the other hand, given how Vsynch can, depending on the engine either be totally fine or be completely unacceptable, it's fair to ask "what the gently caress is going on and why is something so universal causing me so many problems?"

Yes. But in both cases they were asking about vsync itself, so that wasn't the situation.

Also, just force adaptive vsync or fast sync in your graphics control panel. If you don't have a gsync/freesync monitor, that's always gonna be your best bet. Then game implementation doesn't really matter.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

chaosapiant posted:

Back in my day we had custom autoexec.bat and config.sys configurations just to get our 386-486 IBM compatible PCs to have enough of their 640k of conventional memory to run dforces.exe. I made liberal use of memmaker.exe as well. Kids these days.

I was just about to say this.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i pretty much end up turning down the graphics on anything i run so knowing exactly what every single thing does tends to not be needed when all i need to know is 'turn off make game run good'

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I remember a few games used expanded memory instead of extended so I had to change config.sys and reboot to be able to play them. Compared to today's issues that are mostly dev fault or nvidia/ati fault, everything is simpler.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
V-sync and framerates are important and constant details whenever I'm playing PC games and they have been for a long, long time.

Ever since I got a Gsync monitor, I first attempt to run every game with the in-game v-sync disabled and my GPU's v-sync forced on. This is usually the right call, for me, but games tend to handle v-sync a little differently from one another and sometimes I have to re-enable the in-game v-sync to get things to look right.

In addition to that, on modern games and today's sophisticated source ports, sometimes I have to play around with framerate limiters, which are also implemented differently in every game or engine. Sometimes limiting FPS to my monitor's adjustable refresh rate is preferred, and sometimes it is best to leave the FPS limit uncapped.

Plus there often weird characteristics that are unique to a specific game engine that require additional consideration. Most Quake engine ports have a microstutter for me when the player is moving. Doom 3 engine games have frame pacing issues if I forget to toggle "com_fixedtic 1" in the console. Bethesda's games have had problems if the framerate went above or below the refresh rate. Some Kex engine games won't run above 60fps.

I always have to sort these things out before I can really enjoy a game, because I have the cursed eyes that will spot the slightest bit of screen tearing or frame stutter. Hooray.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Staring glassy-eyed into the distance, haunted by memories of an error message stating that only Limited Sound would play during this session of Wing Commander.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i pretty much end up turning down the graphics on anything i run so knowing exactly what every single thing does tends to not be needed when all i need to know is 'turn off make game run good'

Yeah but if you need to turn things down to get frame rate, knowing what they do helps you know which things you can turn totally off and which things you can keep to make it look still decently good and have a nice rate.

Copper Vein posted:

V-sync and framerates are important and constant details whenever I'm playing PC games and they have been for a long, long time.

Ever since I got a Gsync monitor, I first attempt to run every game with the in-game v-sync disabled and my GPU's v-sync forced on. This is usually the right call, for me, but games tend to handle v-sync a little differently from one another and sometimes I have to re-enable the in-game v-sync to get things to look right.

Uhhh if you're using gsync you shouldn't use vsync. It should be vsync off, frame rate totally uncapped. Are you actually using displayport with your gsync monitor? And its enabled in the control panel?

Although with old old games yeah, sometimes you have to do weird poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Uhhh if you're using gsync you shouldn't use vsync. It should be vsync off, frame rate totally uncapped. Are you actually using displayport with your gsync monitor? And its enabled in the control panel?

Yeah you're not supposed to use vsync at all with gsync. I have a friend who was using his fancy new gsync monitor with an HDMI cable for 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
It's likely you want v-sync on (in the Nvidia control panel only), actually. per: https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

Blur Busters posted:

This update led to recurring confusion, creating a misconception that G-SYNC and V-SYNC are entirely separate options. However, with G-SYNC enabled, the “Vertical sync” option in the control panel no longer acts as V-SYNC, and actually dictates whether, one, the G-SYNC module compensates for frametime variances output by the system (which prevents tearing at all times. G-SYNC + V-SYNC “Off” disables this behavior; see G-SYNC 101: Range), and two, whether G-SYNC falls back on fixed refresh rate V-SYNC behavior; if V-SYNC is “On,” G-SYNC will revert to V-SYNC behavior above its range, if V-SYNC is “Off,” G-SYNC will disable above its range, and tearing will begin display wide.

Within its range, G-SYNC is the only syncing method active, no matter the V-SYNC “On” or “Off” setting.

Bathtub Cheese fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 13, 2018