Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Pththya-lyi posted:

If I understand correctly, most of the "geishas" you see on the streets of Kyoto are just tourists who paid to dress up like maiko (apprentice geisha). There's a lot of subtle differences between authentic Kyoto geiko and maiko and dressed-up tourists, but the easiest way to tell is if the "geisha" is stopping for pictures. Real geisha are on their way to and from appointments and won't have time for a photo op. If you chase them down and make them take pictures with you or touch their hair or clothes, you're officially an rear end in a top hat.

Strolling around Ponto-cho, my wife and I saw two being whisked by serious-looking men into waiting cars, and it was like catching a glimpse of a ghost or a celebrity or a celebrity ghost. It was awesome and lmao if anyone thinks "hey I should bother this person because My Instagram"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

ALFbrot posted:

Strolling around Ponto-cho, my wife and I saw two being whisked by serious-looking men into waiting cars, and it was like catching a glimpse of a ghost or a celebrity or a celebrity ghost. It was awesome and lmao if anyone thinks "hey I should bother this person because My Instagram"

Try to tip them

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
yukata are good and cool and wearing them to appropriate occasions is fine imo

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Is it me do I notice guys are not as into traditional clothing compared to girls? You go to your random festivals and it’s mostly girls getting nicely dressed and the guys are lazy.

ESPECIALLY IN ANIME. Anime is actually pretty terrible because they can not capture the energy, atmosphere and dances of the festivals properly.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Two questions:

1) Best place to buy a nice backpack for around 5000 to 20000 yen? I know of Tokyu Hands and other department stores but I'm wondering if there are Japanese specific high end brands that I should check out

Tokyu Hands and Loft would be my first guesses. I thought Porter was the go-to mid-ish tier Japanese bag maker of note? Might be a couple more. And yeah Mont Bell is like Columbia, North Face etc.

quote:

2) Best place to exchange large sums of Yen into Euro? (I don't have the option of transfer, withdrawal from ATM etc. I only have cash)

Airport? Equivalent at hotels? Do you have a Japanese bank/your overseas bank has a location here? May also be able to walk into one of the big bank branches for MUFJ, SMBC etc and ask at the counter - SMBC has a few English friendly branches so that may be an option.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

Is it me do I notice guys are not as into traditional clothing compared to girls? You go to your random festivals and it’s mostly girls getting nicely dressed and the guys are lazy.

ESPECIALLY IN ANIME. Anime is actually pretty terrible because they can not capture the energy, atmosphere and dances of the festivals properly.

Anime gave me unrealistic "high school girl running with toast in her mouth trying to catch a train" expectations of Japan I will never recover from.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

Woah hold the train you mean to say that girls are socially conditioned to want to dress up and value their physical appearance more than men in many cultures omg I’m very shook by this revelation

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Excuse me have you heard of Kpop?

Men put on makeup and lipstick :smug:

I was watching tv the other day in some hotel and they had KBS and NHK back to back.

Jpop is stuck in the 90s and feels so dated whereas kpop dudes are pretty new. They use different musical styles, rap, and dance moves.

Whereas jpop just had guys doing random choreographed backflips or look like a group from Johnny’s

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

I was watching tv the other day in some hotel and they had KBS and NHK back to back.

Jpop is stuck in the 90s and feels so dated whereas kpop dudes are pretty new. They use different musical styles, rap, and dance moves.

Whereas jpop just had guys doing random choreographed backflips or look like a group from Johnny’s

Yeah I’m sure somebody somewhere has written a thesis on this but I think it all comes down to how Japanese idol music is very domestic and plays almost purely to a specific Japanese audience, not even Japanese as a whole, and thus hasn’t really innovated much stylistically, whereas kpop very much seeks to market itself internationally. The result is that kpop is also basically just mainstream pop Korean music more or less at this point which borrows some elements structurally from the Japanese idol genre but is really very different in many significant ways. They’ve also very much embraced both technology and their international fame.

Basically kpop is interesting even if you don’t like their music and jidols suck rear end

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLRxO9AmNNo

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

1) Best place to buy a nice backpack for around 5000 to 20000 yen? I know of Tokyu Hands and other department stores but I'm wondering if there are Japanese specific high end brands that I should check out

I went to Tokyu Hands Shinjuku today to buy a bag. The selection was very extensive and seemed to cover a lot of brands and price points. The good bags seemed to start at around 9000. I had a fun time trying them on, filling them with stuff while I walked around the store. This made it easier to find one that would actually be comfortable since they feel very different when packed.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Jpop is just loving boring with all the same synchronized dances and creepy infantilized girls over and over. Overall I really like Japanese music though, just not pop music.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Wow, this is great. Especially from 5:30 to the end.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I would make a distinction between idol stuff and jpop because it’s different though people conflate them.

Basically all the general pop music, Utada Hikaru etc, that’s all categorically jpop and there’s lots of it without the kinda creepy poo poo of idol groups

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Granite Octopus posted:

I went to Tokyu Hands Shinjuku today to buy a bag. The selection was very extensive and seemed to cover a lot of brands and price points. The good bags seemed to start at around 9000. I had a fun time trying them on, filling them with stuff while I walked around the store. This made it easier to find one that would actually be comfortable since they feel very different when packed.

One of my favorite things is walking around the store and filling bags with stuff, then walking out of the store

Shibawanko posted:

Jpop is just loving boring with all the same synchronized dances and creepy infantilized girls over and over. Overall I really like Japanese music though, just not pop music.

Japanese jazz is extremely my poo poo

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

What kind of backpack are you looking for, for what purpose, and what size?

I'm looking for a multipurpose backpack for work and pleasure. Something I can fit a few folders in, along with my water bottle, sweatshirt, and other smaller stuff. Size - 20L - 28L or so.

I don't mind paying up to 20000 Yen for a nice backpack that I can only get in Japan / Japanese quality.

From reading the responses to my answers, I'll def check out the bigger department stores but always open to suggestions for other Japanese brands with it's own storefront.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
it cant be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more kotoba (thats japanese for 2 compartments) and has be be chibi (small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I am a complete retard who can't understand flight times.

So essentially I'm trying to book a flight that I leave for Japan on 04/11 on a Thursday in West Coast USA time. It says that the date of my return flight is 04/23 on a Tuesday. But since Japan is a whole day ahead does that mean I get back 04/23 in USA days or Japan days.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

punk rebel ecks posted:

I am a complete retard who can't understand flight times.

So essentially I'm trying to book a flight that I leave for Japan on 04/11 on a Thursday in West Coast USA time. It says that the date of my return flight is 04/23 on a Tuesday. But since Japan is a whole day ahead does that mean I get back 04/23 in USA days or Japan days.

Departure/arrival times are based on local time. Due to time zone differences, your arrival may indicate +1 day with, appropriately, a +1

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So Tuesday 04/23 is really Monday 04/22 USA time when I use Expedia to book flights?

Edit - Going by this does that mean I will get back home on Tuesday April 23rd at 12:27pm?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 12, 2018

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Depending on what time the flight is. It's not a "full day" forward.

edit: You will most likely depart on 4/23 Japan time and also arrive on 4/23 USA time. It will be a very long day.

edit 2:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Edit - Going by this does that mean I will get back home on Tuesday April 23rd at 12:27pm?

Yes

edit 3: Holy hot diggity piss, you booked yourself 32 hours of travel to get to Narita from Portland, Oregon. How is that even possible.

edit 4: Oh, You're spending several days in Cambodia first

edit 5 lol: You're asking how to get around Japan and if there are cool things to do in this thread, and yet you haven't posted at all in the SE Asia thread asking about notably-less-easy-for-travel Cambodia. Are you possibly bad enough at reading flight times that you do not realize that you will be in Cambodia for several days?

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 12, 2018

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

punk rebel ecks posted:

So Tuesday 04/23 is really Monday 04/22 USA time when I use Expedia to book flights?

I see why you're confused now. Japan is actually ahead of the US. You will arrive at the time listed.

Edit: note how the website specifies you're arriving on a different day than the one you set out in, but not for the return flight.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 12, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Yes I plan on spending several days in Cambodia first.

I asked questions about that somewhere else. Didn't see the SE Asia thread.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
When going to Japan from the US, you arrive the next day.

When coming back from Japan, you arrive the same day you left.

(Assuming you didn't book crazy-long layovers.)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Nvm

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 12, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Can you post a screen shot of your eticket or itinerary

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Okay, ticket purchased. I'm officially a Japangoon.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay, ticket purchased. I'm officially a Japangoon.

I lived there for four months for work, and I'm not a Japangoon

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

I lived there for four months for work, and I'm not a Japangoon

Did you remember to apply? Why did they deny you?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The first rule of Japan Club is: No waifu no laifu.

ALFbrot chose waifu. He is always welcome to join us when he visits.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mons Hubris posted:

Japanese jazz is extremely my poo poo

What is Japanese jazz?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

What is Japanese jazz?

If you have nostalgia for old Japanese video games (PlayStation and older) or anime, you probably will vibe with J-jazz without even realizing it.

https://youtu.be/N4oN5L3ZLT8

The other Japanese genre getting love in the US is city pop, which is dead on perfect summertime music.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Stringent posted:

What is Japanese jazz?

Just jazz/fusion by Japanese artists I guess.

Mouse on the Keys, Fox Capture Plan, Cornelius, Toconoma, and Masayoshi Takanaka are some of my favorites.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mons Hubris posted:

Just jazz/fusion by Japanese artists I guess.

Mouse on the Keys, Fox Capture Plan, Cornelius, Toconoma, and Masayoshi Takanaka are some of my favorites.

Will have a look.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Anything by Uehara Hiromi

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

LimburgLimbo posted:

Sounds like a festival; they were in traditional clothes or what?

In Kyoto they rent kimono/yukata/whatnot and people wear it. There’s a bunch of them because Japan has a shitton of tourists now.

The thing with kids was random. I think some of them were in traditional clothes. We’d see a line of them randomly around Harajuku and some other part of Tokyo that I can’t remember.

The kimono thing seemed to be constrained around Arashiyama. We’d see a person or two dressed up elsewhere, but at Arashiyama there were a lot of them. Didn’t think there was a festival either.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
There's a kimono rental place in Arashiyama IIRC. Lots of touristy places have kimono rentals. By "touristy" I don't just mean international tourism. Japanese tourists rent kimono for their Instagram posts, too, especially for scenic places like that bamboo grove. Many of these rental services are for the domestic market.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Yeah it's an entire city where the major industry is both domestic and international tourism based around Japanese culture and history. People do Japanese cultural poo poo there.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

peanut posted:

The first rule of Japan Club is: No waifu no laifu.

ALFbrot chose waifu. He is always welcome to join us when he visits.

You seem unfairly exempted from this rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

I'm looking for a multipurpose backpack for work and pleasure. Something I can fit a few folders in, along with my water bottle, sweatshirt, and other smaller stuff. Size - 20L - 28L or so.

I don't mind paying up to 20000 Yen for a nice backpack that I can only get in Japan / Japanese quality.

From reading the responses to my answers, I'll def check out the bigger department stores but always open to suggestions for other Japanese brands with it's own storefront.

Ah if you're just looking for a daypack then get whatever style fits you. Japan doesn't necessarily have better quality for bags and all the high end hiking etc. brands worth the value imo are foreign anyway.

Don't expect to find any special quality or deals because you're in Japan; it's actually more likely to be overpriced here.