Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AirPower is hosed lol
https://twitter.com/gruber/status/1039982238354497537

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

This is my first time upgrading using Apple's annual upgrade program. I just used the Store app to get pre-approved for my pre-order. Does this virtually guarantee me an iPhone on launch day? I'm still planning on ordering right at midnight tomorrow, of course.

As a side note, ordering the X last year was noticeably the easiest iPhone pre-order experience I've ever had. I was able to get 2 separate orders confirmed by 12:15 am. Hopefully the servers are as solid this year as they were last year.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Euphoriaphone posted:

This is my first time upgrading using Apple's annual upgrade program. I just used the Store app to get pre-approved for my pre-order. Does this virtually guarantee me an iPhone on launch day? I'm still planning on ordering right at midnight tomorrow, of course.

It does not. In fact it can mess up and screw you out of launch day.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Euphoriaphone posted:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It does not. In fact it can mess up and screw you out of launch day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD94dVu8lqQ

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

manwithoutskin posted:

How long were people waiting for the X last year? I wonder if that is any indication of how long the delays on the 64gb Max are going to be.

I don't recall there being any supply issues, it just came out like a month or so later than the 8/8+.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So Verizon business still sucks for the AUP.

Glad I got that free sprint account

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just loving :lol: to anyone paying almost $1600 after tax for a cellular phone.

Sticking with my 8+.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Software Update tells me iOS 12 is available? Downloading it right now.

Edit: looks like it’s only showing up for people already on the iOS 12 beta. Still though, all the other versions clearly stated beta and this one just says “iOS 12” with no mention of beta software.

That’s the “gold master” build which is usually equivalent to the final build. I think you won’t get an update til 12.0.1 if you have installed GM, unless they have to hotfix something before the 17th

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

emdash posted:

That’s the “gold master” build which is usually equivalent to the final build. I think you won’t get an update til 12.0.1 if you have installed GM, unless they have to hotfix something before the 17th

If it is then there’s going to be a day of patch because the feedback app is still available and there’s no shortcuts. Unless that’s going to be an App Store app.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They've purged AirPower from the apple website lmao

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Any news on wireless charging AirPods?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They've purged AirPower from the apple website lmao

It’s pretty great to see an Apple product get Stalin’d

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Question Mark Mound posted:

I remember a lot of people in here swearing by Inbox as the best mail app.
Well since it's an app bought by Google, obviously it's getting shut down.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/google-kills-google-inbox/

This sucks but isn't quite as bad as it initially sounded--I just redownloaded Gmail and it has most of the Inbox features now. Pretty much the only thing it's missing is the automatic categories.

iPhone wise, my wife is now trying to decide if she wants to just buy one SE to replace the one with the broken lock button or TWO so that when that one craps out too she'll have another small phone to replace it.

As for the new iPhones--I personally have always thought that iOS doesn't take advantage of larger screen sizes the same way that Android phones do (splitscreen, picture-in-picture, driving mode, and then the stuff like styluses that OEMs add) so the fact that iOS 12 don't have any new features to accompany the larger-than-ever screens is... confusing. Bigger is only better IF you're doing something with it, IMHO.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Honestly the other way around. iOS 12 should run better on the 6 than 11 did. They have really done a lot of work with 12.

I actually never upgraded past 10 cause I was worried 11 would eat my phone. Sounds like 12 might be great though?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Megasabin posted:

I actually never upgraded past 10 cause I was worried 11 would eat my phone. Sounds like 12 might be great though?

For 12 instead of re-doing poo poo and adding a ton of stuff they spent a year fixing 11 and making it good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Megasabin posted:

12 has been better than 11 since early on in the beta for it.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

MarcusSA posted:

So Verizon business still sucks for the AUP.

Glad I got that free sprint account

I have the free Sprint account, and when I go through the pre-qualification steps I have to choose a new plan. Hopefully this isn't binding.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GhostOfTomNook posted:

I have the free Sprint account, and when I go through the pre-qualification steps I have to choose a new plan. Hopefully this isn't binding.

Oh GDI.

Did you finish it?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Disappointed that the XR is bigger than the X/XS. I was considering it, but I'll just stick with my 8 for now. I think the 6/6S/7/8 is the perfect size, and the X/XS is probably as big as I would want to go.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Any hints as to whether supply problems are expected for the max? My aup is up in two payments (1 month) so I’m debating buying out now and preordering or waiting to see one in stores first. I don’t want to be stuck making extra payments on my current phone.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Virtue posted:

Any hints as to whether supply problems are expected for the max? My aup is up in two payments (1 month) so I’m debating buying out now and preordering or waiting to see one in stores first. I don’t want to be stuck making extra payments on my current phone.

It's hard to say. They will definitely be sold out - even if it comes from Apple holding back supply to get the headlines out on Monday morning that the new iPhone is a sold out hit, but there haven't been the same stories of supply chain shortages that came with the X.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I want to sign up for the AUP but I don't have service with a real carrier yet - can I sign up for service at the same time I preorder, or do I need to do all of this before tomorrow night if I want to be part of the excitement?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sticking with my 8+.
$1900 converted for the rest of the world lmao

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
So I'll be switching back to Apple this year, probably an XS.

Do ya'll think I need to pre-order, or will I be able to walk into an Apple store in 2-3 weeks and decide to just buy it on the spot? (i.e. Do you think they'll be sold out?)

I realize this is crystal ball gazing, but if I can, I'd rather hold it before buying... but now I've gotten myself rather excited about getting a new phone, since my current one is 6 years old.

Actually... will they have an XS in stores before the launch to try? I don't know how they do things.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

crazypenguin posted:

So I'll be switching back to Apple this year, probably an XS.

Do ya'll think I need to pre-order, or will I be able to walk into an Apple store in 2-3 weeks and decide to just buy it on the spot? (i.e. Do you think they'll be sold out?)

I realize this is crystal ball gazing, but if I can, I'd rather hold it before buying... but now I've gotten myself rather excited about getting a new phone, since my current one is 6 years old.

Actually... will they have an XS in stores before the launch to try? I don't know how they do things.

Normally they're sold out for a month or two out, so if you don't pre-order tomorrow night, you're looking at late Oct-Nov until you can get one.

If you really want to hold it first, just go into an Apple or carrier store and play with the X. The Xs is literally the same form factor, and you can just imagine what a slightly bigger one will be like for the Max.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

For the Max just look at an 8 Plus and imagine a full screen on that. It’s a little tiny bit smaller than the Plus models.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Still no dark mode :allears:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Over There posted:

Apple isn't selling the X anymore, unless you mean from like Ebay or something.

I'd rather have the X than the Xr tbh
Hmm, I hadn’t thought about that. Presumably AT&T would continue selling them for a while though, no?

Though if I can’t get it on an installment plan, I may have to go for the XS :smith:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I really like the improvements to the Xs but the keynote was really lackluster

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I was hoping Apple was going to switch back to flat sides like the iPhone 5. They gave better grip which means you didn't need a case, which meant the phone looked a lot better, and it was more unique and distinctive looking.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Did the iPhone 8 price drop?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Howard Phillips posted:

Yes, by a $100

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Howard Phillips posted:

From $700 to $600.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

SaturdayKnight posted:

Looks like https://didgoogleshutdown.com is gonna need an update.

You can always trust google to kill something that people like.

This must not have been updated in ages. Nexus is still listed as not dead and to be replaced by Pixel, yet we're into the third Pixel launch. Also Nest being listed as dying despite them making more products :psyduck:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sticking with my 8+.

Just loving :lol: to anyone who doesn’t have the disposable income to afford paying almost $1600 after tax on an interest free loan for a device they interact with daily.

Sticking with my Xs because why not.

:shepspends:

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Is there any benefit to upgrading from an X to an Excess? It seems to redefine the words "incremental upgrade"

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I can’t tell if not having a 3D Touch option to move my cursor around on the Xr is gonna rustle my jimmies to the point of hating that phone. I’d love to save the money, and I know that iOS 12 added a long press to the space bar to get into cursor move, but it’s not as convenient. It starts you at the bottom of the “trackpad area” and takes a second to activate and that’s one of those tiny downgrades to a thing I use literally all the time that would probably add up to a lot of frustration.

But I’d be saving money and I could get one of those sweet colors on the Xr...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magic Underwear posted:

Is there any benefit to upgrading from an [last year's phone] to [this year's phone]? It seems to redefine the words "incremental upgrade"

Apple's not alone here, this has been a super uninspired couple of years for smartphones. I wonder how close the bubble is to bursting?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Smartphones, like computers, have matured and become pretty much feature complete.
That's why things like Apple Watch and Airpods are so important because as the turnover time in the smartphone market increases you need to have accessories and complimentary items you can sell with an ever-aging phone.
Even Apple in their own keynote told everyone to hang onto their phones for longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

asecondduck posted:

Apple's not alone here, this has been a super uninspired couple of years for smartphones. I wonder how close the bubble is to bursting?

Phones will still fall on things, batteries will still fail, software developers will still code like the phone their app runs on belongs to them and them alone, etc. It might deflate a little but it'll take an actual shock to pop it.