Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There could be an art to deliberately putting flaws in your game in a subtle and deliberate way if you're doing it largely as an art project, or just... I think there's a thing where a lot of popular games are badly flawed, and my conspiracy brain tells me that has to be deliberate at some point no matter how unlikely that seems. Flaws generate discussion. There's not much to say about a game that doesn't have many flaws, because, you know. It's just good.

But in any case, I am struggling to think of anything Wick has done that I could apply the word "subtle" to.
Yeah - the structure of an obtuse rpg book is something you could use to make art with, much like Fire on the Velvet Horizon is like, art in the form/style of a monster manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah - the structure of an obtuse rpg book is something you could use to make art with, much like Fire on the Velvet Horizon is like, art in the form/style of a monster manual.

Agreed, Fire On The Velvet Horizon is a really great example of that kind of thing

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, in most cases I think it's much more likely that games are flawed because the bar to calling yourself a Professional Roleplaying Game Designer is so low as to be nonexistent rather than some sort of "any publicity is good publicity" gambit.

I don't think people would ever set up to make flawed games necessarily, but shrugging and deciding they're Good Enough games I find more plausible.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If you're going to compare to Jenna's stuff, it's probably easiest to compare Wick's new thing to Wisher, Theurgist, Fatalist, which is basically a roleplaying game where you complete the broken rules of the RPG you're playing as you play it.

Oh, if you didn't notice, Jenna has a new, proper website, with stuff about her mysterious new projects and similar!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Precambrian posted:

He's interpreting ergodic literature to mean "hard to understand," but that's a really bad definition of what "nontrivial work" means. One of the very first examples Espen Aarseth gives when coining the term is the I-Ching. Using a randomizing method, you use the book to produce one of more than 4,000 possible texts. It's not that the reader is confused or has to struggle to read, it's that there's some outside process that the reader has to produce to organize a linear text. More simple, "more than trivial" =/= "hard". I think the most pragmatic version of an ergodic rulebook would be one that changes the rules depending on the number of players on the table, but it could also be a rulebook that changes based on the room you're playing in or what time of year you're reading it.

looking forward to Finnegan's Wake: the RPG

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I never heard of ergodicity before a few hours ago, but it's not wrong to say that Brown Box D&D is incomplete (because it's literally a supplement for a game some of the customers had never heard of), that Gygax's writing style in AD&D is almost deliberately obtuse, and that D&D sometimes lacks a correct answer on how two different rules interact. But what's the point of doing that poo poo on purpose? Nostalgia? For people who probably would never play his game anyway?

Wick's probably doing it for nostalgia, but it's also likely that he learned a new word and immediately became fascinated with it being the essential What Makes Games Good, or maybe because it's an intellectual-sounding excuse for his usual shtick. Whatever the reason, he's doing something a lot of people already do, but doing it in a particularly smug way.

An ergodic RPG book might have some utility, like a game that had its rules in blocks, and different circumstances (2 players versus 6, a one shot versus a long campaign) would use a different set of blocks. I think it's kind of an academic point, though, because RPG books are more reference materials than what we might call "literature," and so it's naturally going to be something that is read through indices and alternative structures instead of "left to right, top to bottom, turn the page."

gradenko_2000 posted:

looking forward to Finnegan's Wake: the RPG

An RPG where everyone gets together and tries to conceal that none of them, including the DM and the player who really pushed for the game, actually read more than five pages of the rulebook.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I think I would be interested in seeing what John Wick makes, rather than just angry at the thought of John Wick making things. :shobon:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
God, I just checked and Laguna is like a decade old already so it’s not even a cutting edge idea Wick is jumping onto.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

food court bailiff posted:

Nobody pays attention to 5E, least of all Hasbro of the Coast. But still, I'm going to say that no matter what your feelings on 5E are it's pretty disingenuous to compare its marketing to whatever this thing is. Like, 5E had a ton of playtesting support and stuff (that they completely ignored, but even then...) - it's a far cry from "we left out a WHOLE PAGE, do you guys remember Kevin Siembieda? lolwackyrandom!".
I'm obviously being hyperbolic but the ambiguity of the rules, specifically due to "natural language", is definitely touted as a positive. Let me tell you about Attack actions vs attacks and ranged weapon attacks vs attacks made with a ranged weapon.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Precambrian posted:

An RPG where everyone gets together and tries to conceal that none of them, including the DM and the player who really pushed for the game, actually read more than five pages of the rulebook.
Paranoia?

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Rand Brittain posted:

If you're going to compare to Jenna's stuff, it's probably easiest to compare Wick's new thing to Wisher, Theurgist, Fatalist, which is basically a roleplaying game where you complete the broken rules of the RPG you're playing as you play it.

Oh, if you didn't notice, Jenna has a new, proper website, with stuff about her mysterious new projects and similar!

I read the entire wtf and now my brain hurts

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Sounds... treasonous.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Precambrian posted:

Everyone gets five pages of a rulebook and are told everyone else has the full copy, they just need to bullshit their way through. One player just got five pages of flavor text from one of the Warhammer 40k rulebooks, and the GM is convinced they're running a World of Synnibar clone.

I'd play it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I could see some merit in a game where you're just told that your character class has all these weird and weirdly specific abilities and restrictions, and it's up to you to figure it out at the table.

This would necessitate a game where everyone plays quirky classes like the paladin, druid, bard, etc. and not fighters and wizards.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Bedlamdan posted:

I think I would be interested in seeing what John Wick makes, rather than just angry at the thought of John Wick making things. :shobon:

Well you're in luck, he's written a whole lot of stuff. Now you can go and read it and make up your own mind on things.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

I could see some merit in a game where you're just told that your character class has all these weird and weirdly specific abilities and restrictions, and it's up to you to figure it out at the table.

This would necessitate a game where everyone plays quirky classes like the paladin, druid, bard, etc. and not fighters and wizards.
Kind of like one of those "WHo lives in what house" puzzles except with rules exceptions, crosses with Mao. The Ranger knows he attacks with dexterity and "can attack twice per round instead of once". The Barbarian knows she rolls to attack using d8s instead of d6s and uses brawn. The Wizard knows they cast spells using int and succeed on a 3. The Rogue knows they roll one additional d6 when attacking. The only table talk allowed is in-character OR explicitly describing the rule you're using from your sheet.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
This isn't the first time John Wick has talked about doing a faux-retro game - he was supposed to be writing a Warhamster 3rd Edition RPG a long time ago for John Kovalic, based off the fictional game in Dork Tower, but it never was finished or published for whatever reason. He had a whole fake authorship and backstory behind it which I think was in his articles at Gaming Outpost on it, along with a d1000 resolution roll? My memories of it are more than a bit hazy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

After dealing with 1.5hr long sessions of people muddling through filling in their character sheets and rambling on about their character's concept, I suddenly understand why people like DCC's randomly generated funnels. Cuts all that poo poo out and gets the action rolling.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Are there any good systems out there which are based around the Age of Sail or simply heavily dedicated to being on some pre industrial vessel? I find that D&D needs heavy modification to be suitable for an in depth nautical campaign so I was curious if there were systems which did it right out of the gate.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nominally I guess 7th Sea might do something like that, but I don’t know. I’ve never played it and it looks very generic, but if any game should, it will. (But I would be shocked if it did because the game’s always been occasionally decent fluff with garbage to not too terrible mechanics.)

Torchbearer might actually work. It basically already has a mechanic for scurvy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Splicer posted:

Kind of like one of those "WHo lives in what house" puzzles except with rules exceptions, crosses with Mao. The Ranger knows he attacks with dexterity and "can attack twice per round instead of once". The Barbarian knows she rolls to attack using d8s instead of d6s and uses brawn. The Wizard knows they cast spells using int and succeed on a 3. The Rogue knows they roll one additional d6 when attacking. The only table talk allowed is in-character OR explicitly describing the rule you're using from your sheet.

The textual example that always sticks in my mind is how one of the ranger's abilities is "only a 1d6 chance to be surprised" and the displacer beast is like "surprises 4/6 of the time" and how you're supposed to do the math on that.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

The textual example that always sticks in my mind is how one of the ranger's abilities is "only a 1d6 chance to be surprised" and the displacer beast is like "surprises 4/6 of the time" and how you're supposed to do the math on that.
Meh; it's a rare interaction, and any of the three ways you can interpret the interaction (ranger's surprise rate overrides, displacer beast's surprise rate overrides, convert both rates to modifiers and add them to the base) can be justified. There should definitely be an explanation somewhere, but it's the tiniest of tiny flaws.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

SkySteak posted:

Are there any good systems out there which are based around the Age of Sail or simply heavily dedicated to being on some pre industrial vessel? I find that D&D needs heavy modification to be suitable for an in depth nautical campaign so I was curious if there were systems which did it right out of the gate.

There's an alternate version of Fragged Empire called Fragged Seas.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

SkySteak posted:

Are you looking for detailed tactical naval combat, or just general support for life on and around ships? If it's the latter, then Spellbound Kingdoms might do you, particularly if you want to get into mass combat or run a well fleshed-out organization.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SkySteak posted:

:v:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
How many glaives can that baby transport?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cassa posted:

How many glaives can that baby transport?

So many.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
A viking longboat with Glaives for Oars

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Haystack posted:

Are you looking for detailed tactical naval combat, or just general support for life on and around ships? If it's the latter, then Spellbound Kingdoms might do you, particularly if you want to get into mass combat or run a well fleshed-out organization.

I am looking for the latter really! Essentially just support for life at sea and nautical campaigns; combat being something that doesn't have to be a wargame. As said there are supplements for even 5e, but I feel like seeing if there were any dedicated systems out would be wise.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pollyanna posted:

After dealing with 1.5hr long sessions of people muddling through filling in their character sheets and rambling on about their character's concept, I suddenly understand why people like DCC's randomly generated funnels. Cuts all that poo poo out and gets the action rolling.
If you managed a full group character creation in only 1.5 hours you must be some form of time wizard.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Elephant Parade posted:

Meh; it's a rare interaction, and any of the three ways you can interpret the interaction (ranger's surprise rate overrides, displacer beast's surprise rate overrides, convert both rates to modifiers and add them to the base) can be justified. There should definitely be an explanation somewhere, but it's the tiniest of tiny flaws.

Thankfully, the rest of AD&D is easy to understand and intuitive!

https://idiscepolidellamanticora.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/addict.pdf

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Splicer posted:

If you managed a full group character creation in only 1.5 hours you must be some form of time wizard.

Really? It’s so much time, though. The 5e module I’m in had us make our characters in advance and it started off on the right foot and has been great so far. I really do think that quick character creation is important if you’re only gonna be playing for 2.5~3 hrs total.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Splicer posted:

Pollyanna posted:

Really? It’s so much time, though. The 5e module I’m in had us make our characters in advance and it started off on the right foot and has been great so far. I really do think that quick character creation is important if you’re only gonna be playing for 2.5~3 hrs total.

No not really. Splicer has dndptsd that causes him to hallucinate about new and interesting ways in which it has wronged him. But yeah if you want to jump right in with new people, just use pre-made characters and let them pick one. Hell I do premades with most one off games I run, new players or no.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Pollyanna posted:

Are you playing a one shot? D&D character creation times tend to be prohibitive for that.

There are D&D likes with quick character generation time if that’s what your after, but if you’re set on a 5e one shot I would use premades.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

whydirt posted:

Thankfully, the rest of AD&D is easy to understand and intuitive!

https://idiscepolidellamanticora.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/addict.pdf
Oh, don't get me wrong: the ranger/displacer interaction is a symptom of a larger problem, and that problem is pretty bad. I was just saying it isn't too bad on its own.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

fool_of_sound posted:

No not really. Splicer has dndptsd that causes him to hallucinate about new and interesting ways in which it has wronged him. But yeah if you want to jump right in with new people, just use pre-made characters and let them pick one. Hell I do premades with most one off games I run, new players or no.

DalaranJ posted:

Are you playing a one shot? D&D character creation times tend to be prohibitive for that.

There are D&D likes with quick character generation time if that’s what your after, but if you’re set on a 5e one shot I would use premades.

I’m more speaking about my first experience with GMing Dungeon World where we had to wait on a pickup player to fill out his sheet which took half the allotted time, and similar results in other online games recently. DW character creation isn’t even a long process :cry: I also value Awesome per Second due to my time being limited in games.

Also, is it just me, or is playing IRL much more engaging than over Discord or Roll20? I’ve found it hard to pay attention and keep up to date in an online game if I’m not GMing, whereas IRL has been perfectly fine so far.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, it's not that there's a couple of corner cases that come up in AD&D rules, it's that the game is pretty much nothing but those corner cases.

I can see why the designers of 3.0 went for a unified system.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, it's not that there's a couple of corner cases that come up in AD&D rules, it's that the game is pretty much nothing but those corner cases.

I can see why the designers of 3.0 went for a unified system.

Yeah, the design trajectory in 2->3->4 is very clear. I'm really not sure why there was such a backlash against 4e.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, with that particular problem, it's at least a d6 based system so it's easy to fudge. What I find really absurd is when a given combat round involves multiple abilities with varying basic die mechanics and/or unique charts.

An odd outcome of AD&D's terrible organization is that when played by the book, classes have functions that are implicit. The ranger's surprise and damage bonuses make them great at whittling down those hordes of humanoid mooks with a hail of arrows before they can mob you.

It's often touted as the edition where only the DM needs to know the rules, but in practice you're groping in the dark if you don't know these rules and understand them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm really not sure why there was such a backlash against 4e.

Paizo deliberately stirred the pot because no one was going to jump ship to Pathfinder without the whole "one true D&D, 4e is a betrayal" schtick