Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is it true that shrimp brains in dead shrimp will cause the flesh to soften and lose its spring? I feel like I read that somewhere and that was why you had to shell and cook shrimp asap after buying, but at the same time I also feel like it could be pseudoscience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Is it true that shrimp brains in dead shrimp will cause the flesh to soften and lose its spring? I feel like I read that somewhere and that was why you had to shell and cook shrimp asap after buying, but at the same time I also feel like it could be pseudoscience.

You're supposed to eat the brains, and gain the shrimp's wisdom.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I imagine it's like other shellfish where if it's a slow painful death the meat is effected. cutting off the brain seems like a fast painless death.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Not an empty quote

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is this how my friend miraculously learnt how to swim like an olympian? He used to drop like a rock whenever he got into water, but after a shrimp BBQ, he was incredible at swimming.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

AnonSpore posted:

It's true. More of a problem with sous vide than other methods.

quote:

In some rare cases cooking for longer than half an hour or so may result in shrimp that come out soft. I mean really soft. It has to do with enzymes called proteases that occur naturally within the shrimp, mostly concentrated near their heads. These enzymes are like little wrecking balls that target proteins. In live shrimp, those enzymes are kept in check and controlled. But once the shrimp dies, they can run rampant, completely breaking down the shrimp's structure.

If you get your shrimp live, it's easy to manage. Kill the shrimp by freezing them, then immediately remove their heads to prevent the spread of the unwanted enzymes. If you are buying your shrimp already-dead, I strongly suggest buying shrimp that are packed without their heads. Shrimp sold with their heads on have a higher chance of coming out mushy, though even de-headed shrimp can fall victim occasionally. This is a rare case where more processing before point-of-sale leads to a superior product in the pan.
https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/01/the-food-labs-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-shrimp.html

Cor Geal
Aug 2, 2012
Does anyone have a good recipe for a chocolate fudge cake? Most likely it'll end up being eaten warm so would making a chocolate cake and chocolate fudge sauce be the better option?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I like oysters. I've never shucked an oyster before. What tools do I need to learn how to shuck an oyster?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

obi_ant posted:

I like oysters. I've never shucked an oyster before. What tools do I need to learn how to shuck an oyster?

Chainmail gloves.

Seriously, oysters are hard to open, it will take a little practice.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

AnonSpore posted:

I’ve never heard of this. If I’m boiling shrimp I prefer them head-on because it adds a lot of flavor and have never had a problem of them turning mushy-usually more worried about them getting tough from overcooking. I do live on the coast and get tolerably fresh shrimp, but most shrimp you buy are IQF anyway. I wouldn’t eat the heads because they’re kind of gross, but plenty of people suck the brains out of crawfish.

Kind of cool to know it’s a real thing though. I’d never thought to sous vide shrimps, but I bet it would be good

obi_ant posted:

You need an oyster knife, which is different from a clam knife. Get a cheap one from a kitchen supply store, the blade should be pretty thick and kind of like a sharpened oval in cross section. You open them from the small end where the shell hinges. Chain mail gloves aren’t a bad idea either. Make mignonette, yum yum

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Cor Geal posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for a chocolate fudge cake? Most likely it'll end up being eaten warm so would making a chocolate cake and chocolate fudge sauce be the better option?

This is my favorite chocolate cake by a mile. I ended up using is for my groom's cake. Just punch a couple of holes in the top and poor some chocolate sauce in for ultimate fudginess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwKGZS3EE7Q&t=246s

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

I love shrimp brains which is why I usually try and buy head on shrimp, and that's what led to me asking the question. Thanks for the info, everyone.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You need an oyster knife, which is different from a clam knife. Get a cheap one from a kitchen supply store, the blade should be pretty thick and kind of like a sharpened oval in cross section. You open them from the small end where the shell hinges. Chain mail gloves aren’t a bad idea either. Make mignonette, yum yum

I haven't used their oyster knife, but Opinel's regular folding knives are good as hell so consider this maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/Opinel-Stainless-Folding-Shellfish-Shucking/dp/B009OIRQP6/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

You actually do gain their wisdom, too. It’s just that it’s so minuscule that you don’t really feel any different.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Recipes for chili powder? I need to use up 3 pounds of ground beef and a pound of pinto beans. I'm thinking of making a simple chili.

(Pause while everybody from Texas bursts a blood vessel over the terms "ground beef" and "beans" used to describe chili. I know it won't be "real" chili, and I DGAF.)

I usually go to Penzey's Chili 3000, which is better than anything I've ever made myself. But I'm out of Chili 3000, and my new order won't arrive in time. I can improvise a mix of cumin, aleppo pepper, chipotle, oregano, bay leaf, lime zest, and whatever else I have in my spice cabinet. Or I can ask folks here for their recommendations. What spices do you put in your chili?

Bagheera fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 14, 2018

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Bagheera posted:

Recipes for chili powder? I need to use up 3 pounds of ground beef and a pound of pinto beans. I'm thinking of making a simple chili.

(Pause while everybody from Texas bursts a blood vessel over the terms "ground beef" and "beans" used to describe chili. I know it won't be "real" chili, and I DGAF.)

Nah gently caress them, they didn't invent chili and don't own it. Real chili has beef and beans.

Chili powder wise, get some dried Chipotle, ancho, and jalapeño peppers, toast them in a dry pan with some cumin seed, achiote, and black peppercorns. Put them into a spice mill/food processor until dust, then combine with garlic powder, onion powder, and coarse salt. Maybe a little cinnamon if you're feeling fancy.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

when you guys say chili are you referring to chili con carne?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Qubee posted:

when you guys say chili are you referring to chili con carne?

Yeah. In the US, "chile con carne" is usually shortened to just "chili."

Bagheera fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 14, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cinnamon in chilli (in moderation) is really good imo.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

spankmeister posted:

Cinnamon in chilli (in moderation) is really good imo.

I guess if you're in Cincinnati.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I guess if you're in Cincinnati.

Cinnamon is real good in tomato and beef based sauces. I don't care about your chilli tribalism.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Cinnamon is real good in tomato and beef based sauces. I don't care about your chilli tribalism.

I agree. Dodging the debate over what Skyline makes, a dash of cinnamon in traditional beef chili is really good (and authentically Mexican, if not Texan).

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Annath posted:

Nah gently caress them, they didn't invent chili and don't own it. Real chili has beef and beans.

Chili powder wise, get some dried Chipotle, ancho, and jalapeño peppers, toast them in a dry pan with some cumin seed, achiote, and black peppercorns. Put them into a spice mill/food processor until dust, then combine with garlic powder, onion powder, and coarse salt. Maybe a little cinnamon if you're feeling fancy.

Bagheera posted:

I usually go to Penzey's Chili 3000, which is better than anything I've ever made myself. But I'm out of Chili 3000, and my new order won't arrive in time. I can improvise a mix of cumin, aleppo pepper, chipotle, oregano, bay leaf, lime zest, and whatever else I have in my spice cabinet. Or I can ask folks here for their recommendations. What spices do you put in your chili?

Black Pepper
aleppo dried ground
chinese 5 color, dried ground
hot portugal dried ground
garlic powder
onion powder
2 limes zested
cumin
cinnamon
dark brown sugar

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Trip report: I bought an instant pot and made my first meal with it, chicken curry. It's delicious. Thanks goons.

I also remembered that I don't have tupperware but I made 2 lbs of chicken thighs into curry so this is a conundrum...

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 15, 2018

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Agent355 posted:

Trip report: I bought an instant pot and made my first meal with it, chicken curry. It's delicious. Thanks goons.

I also remembered that I don't have tupperware but I made 2 lbs of chicken thighs into curry so this is a conundrum...

Don't leave it sitting on top of the washing machine for a week

My recommendation is just throw it in bowls with some aluminum foil or saran wrap, better than nothing.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

No aluminum foil/plastic wrap either, but I did get it into 6 different paper bowls and now it's using up about 70% of my fridge space! Everything else is very precariously stacked up into whatever space is leftover. It'll be fiiiiiine. I'll go buy some tupperware and plastic wrap next time I go shopping, I'll probably only make 1 meal a week or I'll break my budget but it'll be large enough to spread out over a few days at least.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Agent355 posted:

Invite the neighbors.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

No aluminum foil/plastic wrap either, but I did get it into 6 different paper bowls and now it's using up about 70% of my fridge space! Everything else is very precariously stacked up into whatever space is leftover. It'll be fiiiiiine. I'll go buy some tupperware and plastic wrap next time I go shopping, I'll probably only make 1 meal a week or I'll break my budget but it'll be large enough to spread out over a few days at least.

I just bought a lid for the inner pot for my mom for like ten bucks on amazon. You can store your poo poo in there in the fridge.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oh man that will be perfect when I have a real apartment, won't fit in the mini fridge though. I'm definitely keeping that in mind though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

the instant pot has a keep warm function, keep it warm until tomorrow when you can go and buy tupperware.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ladle it into ziplocks, squeeze out the air using the water displacement method, and freeze them stacked on top of each other laying flat

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions to cook a rack of pork ribs in the oven? I don’t have a grill so the oven is my only choice.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I make oven ribs all the time, good poo poo. Use liquid smoke and dry rub, wrap the whole thing in foil, cook it low and slow. Fridge what you're not gonna eat tonight, then unwrap, drain, re-rub, and broil the amount you want for dinner. Timing depends on what cut of ribs it is.

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide

Anne Whateley posted:

I make oven ribs all the time, good poo poo. Use liquid smoke and dry rub, wrap the whole thing in foil, cook it low and slow. Fridge what you're not gonna eat tonight, then unwrap, drain, re-rub, and broil the amount you want for dinner. Timing depends on what cut of ribs it is.

Yep, dry run with liquid smoke. I put it in the fridge overnight after rubbing, and then cook at maybe 250 for 3ish hours? Then baste with BBQ sauce at the end and broil.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks I happen to have some liquid smoke. How much should I add?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
...some

People online are very "OMG BE CAREFUL, a little goes such a long way, I add 2 drops to a pork shoulder!!!" You definitely don't have to be that afraid. I have a pipette and I can def use the whole thing on a rack, but I do full untrimmed racks.

Also, the flavor doesn't really develop during cooking. You can add it after cooking and it won't taste too harsh or anything. That's always what I do for pork shoulders, shred the whole thing and put it in a Tupperware, then add liquid smoke and shake.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

ineptmule posted:

How to use guanciale for making carbonara?

I’ve been making carbonara (the proper way, egg yolk, Parmesan cheese, and oil) for years but people have always told me it’s not the real thing because I’m using pancetta (or bacon if I’m down at heel) and not guanciale.

Imagine my excitement when I find some guanciale at a deli.

But slicing it up and using it in the dish, I end up with a strange acrid flavour and, despite people talking about how much the fat renders out of the meat, huge fatty slices which are very difficult to eat.

What am I doing wrong, spoon goons?

Did you cut off the rind/outer layer? The rind is often dirty and can contaminate your dish.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I looked for the cast iron pan thread and couldn’t find it.

I have a cast iron pan that is old and basically nightmare filthy. I’ve always thrown it in the oven after cooking (400 degrees F) and then scrubbed it out with kosher salt, but lately that’s not touching the layers of nastiness on this fucker. It smokes and smokes and smokes and smokes. It’s not chalkboard slick, it’s lumpy and cakey. It’s such a smoky pain in the rear end that it’s unusable.

What do I do to restore Nightmare Pan to something tolerable?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

brillo pad and dish soap the poo poo out of it to remove all that nasty crud, then reseason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah but can I use it to make DUMP MEALS?

I know you're not poo poo talking my waifu Cathy Mitchell, right?