Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Well I still won’t wear a wristwatch goddammnit.

Don't loving blame you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Franchescanado posted:

I have a few quick questions for anyone who's already seen MANDY:

-Is it more of a horror film or more of an action film?
-On a scale from Psycho to Dead Alive, how gory is it?

I've got a few friends that are hesitant to buy a ticket because of those two questions, so any answers without spoilers would be appreciated.

IMDB Parents Guide has you covered on question 2, it's apparently much closer to the Dead Alive end.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Anonymous Robot posted:

I used to, but A) like hell if I'm paying a thousand bucks for an iPhone and B) another $400 for a drat watch.

Getting FDA clearance for that ECG thing is really impressive, though. I did some work for a healthcare IT company a couple of years ago, and the process for getting FDA clearance for their product (clinical decision support software that radically improves the workflow between radiologists, medical oncologists, radiology oncologists, clinical trials coordinators and other professionals involved in cancer treatment) was a loving two-year process.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

More horror, closer to Dead Alive on the scale.

Thanks LG!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

IMDB Parents Guide has you covered on question 2, it's apparently much closer to the Dead Alive end.

Yeah, but that guide posts spoilers and I want to go in blind. Figured it would be safer to ask the fine folks of CineD.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh dang, now I’m actually hyped for Mandy instead of being highly interested

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, but that guide posts spoilers and I want to go in blind. Figured it would be safer to ask the fine folks of CineD.

Yeah, which is why I checked for you. :v: I was just saying where I was pulling from, not making a "let me google that for you"-esque joke.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, which is why I checked for you. :v: I was just saying where I was pulling from, not making a "let me google that for you"-esque joke.

Oh I didn't take it that way, and appreciate it! The gore-averse friend is staying far away.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mandy was pretty good. A little too long, and there's not a lot of meat to the story, but the visuals and the score are super dope, and Nic Cage is great as always. Not enough Bill Duke, the animated segments could've used a little more work, but I liked the act break cards and the weird Cheddar Goblin commercial out of nowhere.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Gorman Thomas posted:

I just realized that producer drops at the beginning of rap songs is the same thing as the production company intros before a film.

I call 'em splash screens.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Will I like Mandy if Beyond The Black Rainbow bored me out of my loving skull?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Buster scruggs looks so awesome, I just wish the cohens weren't afraid of black people. They seem to really try to dodge PoC when possible.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

bushisms.txt posted:

Buster scruggs looks so awesome, I just wish the cohens weren't afraid of black people. They seem to really try to dodge PoC when possible.

Well, I think we all saw The Ladykillers.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Will I like Mandy if Beyond The Black Rainbow bored me out of my loving skull?

Maybe. It has more of a traditional plot to hang Panos Cosmatos's visuals on. But it take about an hour before the revenge stuff actually kicks in.

But I love Beyond the Black Rainbow.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Why is mandy only playing in Regal theaters once at 7pm tomorrow? Am i missing something here because that's what it looks like

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Anonymous Robot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6xCtNZMAnU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LesterGroans posted:

Maybe. It has more of a traditional plot to hang Panos Cosmatos's visuals on. But it take about an hour before the revenge stuff actually kicks in.

But I love Beyond the Black Rainbow.

My major problem with BTBR was sluggish editing that made every shot linger twice as long as it needed to. If it’s more of that then I’ll pass on it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

My major problem with BTBR was sluggish editing that made every shot linger twice as long as it needed to. If it’s more of that then I’ll pass on it.

I don't think so, I thought the pacing and editing were good. But I have a feeling the first hour will try your patience, so I'd say skip it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

Well, I think we all saw The Ladykillers.

According to Bad Santa director Zwigoff they didn't "see" the elf as black and tried to argue it would ruin the film.

gently caress them.

And marlon is classicly trained, they let him down.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 12, 2018

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Today I learned that Froot Loops actually aren’t vegan, because they contain lanolin. Wild.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

oh god dont do this to rap, plz go back to talking about anime please

I stopped posting in the rap thread in NMD around the beginning of the year and I took a quick peak and some goon had a multi-page Drake meltdown. :stare:.

Franchescanado posted:

You know which hip-hop artist needs more recognition?

Saba.

:hmmyes:

Gorman Thomas posted:

I just realized that producer drops at the beginning of rap songs is the same thing as the production company intros before a film.

I like that some music videographers are actually putting credits into their music videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tErDIorRg6g

Fendi's one of my new faves. Dude has a great flow and manages to get some nice collabs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtlKd0SrXzM

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 12, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hope everyone in or near the hurricane's path stays safe. I know I argue a lot in CD but I like almost all of you and I'd hate to see you get destroyed by god.

bushisms.txt posted:

According to Bad Santa director Zwigoff they didn't "see" the elf as black and tried to argue it would ruin the film.

gently caress them.

And marlon is classicly trained, they let him down.

That interview is amazing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Aw, Lurdiak, there is no god.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Sure there's a God, he's just not benevolent like we're taught.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

God's an astronaut.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know this might read like a dumb spicy take but having watched Jurassic World 2 I really think it's an okay movie with good memorable characters and some truly awesome shots and imagery

ruddiger posted:

God's an astronaut.

their latest album fuckin' rips dude

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I watched The Conjuring the other night and I couldn’t get over the fact that the exorcist dude looked so much like Bob Odenkirk and even had something close to his mannerisms as well. It gave his character this charlatan vibe that the movie was already doing work to try and rebuff.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Why is mandy only playing in Regal theaters once at 7pm tomorrow? Am i missing something here because that's what it looks like

The multiplexes have to make sure they have four screens to devote to boring franchise films at all times because art is dead.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Is linking to Dailymotion kosher for a YouTube of the Day?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Anyone else rewatch Boogie Nights, find themselves stunned by how perfect it is and then get insanely jealous and slightly depressed when they realise that PTA was 27 when it was released?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So MoviePass sent an email that they "accidentally" charged me multiple times for my subscription. I assume this is to help float their debt or some poo poo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nroo posted:

Is linking to Dailymotion kosher for a YouTube of the Day?

Of course!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm watching The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans Parts 6-12 (Remix) to prepare for Mandy and this bit in the IMDB trivia page stuck out to me:

quote:

According to Werner Herzog, 2,400 cans of decaf coffee had to be used to make the water appear to be river water in the jail scene. They first attempted to use paint, but it proved to be toxic, then the production team used regular coffee, but the actor absorbed it through his skin.
The idea of Nicolas Cage strung out of his mind from splashing around in a giant cup of coffee is making me lose my mind

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gorn Myson posted:

Anyone else rewatch Boogie Nights, find themselves stunned by how perfect it is and then get insanely jealous and slightly depressed when they realise that PTA was 27 when it was released?

Orson Welles was 25 when he directed, starred in, co-wrote, and produced Citizen Kane.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Orson Welles was 25 when he directed, starred, co-wrote, and produced Citizen Kane.
You're not making this better.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

This kind of reflection is never a good thing to do because a lot of people have created really good poo poo when they were under 30.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gorn Myson posted:

You're not making this better.

My birthday is next week and I'll be the same age when Welles had directed five feature films and was working on his sixth.

:(

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Reminds me of a thing I read where Quentin Tarantino and Edgar Wright were talking about their first movies, Tarantino was jealous that Wright had made his first movie, A Fistful of Fingers, when he was only 20, while Tarantino was 32. Wright’s response was that he wished his first movie was Reservoir Dogs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The vast majority of people are unremarkable nobodies who will never do anything of note. It's just best not to think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm gonna try and do something.

• Locked thread