Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Prester Jane posted:

Over in the GBS thread you have people bragging about how they're going to tough it out in Wilmington and telling other people that this storm is no big deal (compared to other storms that have hit the area) and everyone is overhyping things...

What I'm saying is that I am very grateful for the existence of C-SPAM. This forum really should not serve as an honest-to-god bastion of sanity- but it's what we've got and it'll do.

yeah they're really pissed at you over there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Vox Nihili posted:

Last time a typhoon of this strength hit the Phillipines, 8,000 people died and bodies were washing ashore for months afterward.

That's significantly less humorous than our oncoming pigshiticane.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

twoday posted:

Haha they angry they lost a surrogate Jose for Florence, or :decorum::decorum::decorum::decorum:?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

twoday posted:

Prester Jane is managing to overhype a major hurricane lol

twoday
May 4, 2005

the thing is, after however many pages of posting forecasts people have already made up their minds, there isn't really a point in arguing with them too much

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

twoday posted:

that's probably because they go into every hurricane thread and pretend to be an expert

twoday
May 4, 2005

Isizzlehorn posted:

Haha they angry they lost a surrogate Jose for Florence, or :decorum::decorum::decorum::decorum:?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867519&pagenumber=42&perpage=40#post487892951

eh just read this page

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

shovelbum posted:

Prester Jane is managing to overhype a major hurricane lol

Except I'm not? What exactly have I overhyped about this?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also I think Triangle ppl are overrepresented on SA bc it's a CITY OF NERDS so they're all relieved it's going south even if it's going there to turbofuck a huge section of coastline instead of burn out quickly in Raleigh

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Super Typhoon Mangkhut has reached 178 mph sustained winds w/ gusts to 219 mph. Pressure has dropped to 898 mb (lowest ever was Typhoon Tip @ 870). Mangkhut is still strengthening and thousands of people in the Phillipines are probably going to die.

OH LAWD HE COMIN'!!

twoday
May 4, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

Except I'm not? What exactly have I overhyped about this?

Well there were 40 pages of people already saying the hurricane was gonna be very bad and someone showed up and said they don't believe it, and you tried to logic them into thinking differently. By that point you've both made up your minds and arguing about the minutiae is kind of pointless.

I agree with you though, I think the storm surge is gonna be pretty bad, but I'm not gonna get into intense arguments with people about it in a thread I want to keep posting in for the next few days, I don't think it accomplishes much

And on the other hand my lazy shitposting in that thread saved a life, apparently

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure about SC but there's very little Harvey Potential in eastern NC simply bc it's a desolate wasteland. I remember we had Floyd and it was horrible and everything was underwater but it wasn't some huge national catastrophe because there's nothing there but hogs and small-town racism

as noted Wilmington has been around a very long time and as long as it doesn't straight up blow away, probably won't wash off the face of the earth

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

I'm here between Fayetteville and SW toward Hope Mills.

Hurricane Mathew came through and I didn't even lose power, but fam not that far away did for a few days and folks further south east got seriously flooded.

I just hope my luck holds up this time again. I'll live without a few days of power for sure, but man do I not want any significant flooding or trees smashing into the house.

Other than that, LOLSHITCANE

twoday
May 4, 2005

shovelbum posted:

I'm not sure about SC but there's very little Harvey Potential in eastern NC simply bc it's a desolate wasteland. I remember we had Floyd and it was horrible and everything was underwater but it wasn't some huge national catastrophe because there's nothing there but hogs and small-town racism

It might reshape the landscape of the swamp a bit

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

twoday posted:

It might reshape the landscape of the swamp a bit

Cut a few new inlets, demonstrate to some newcomers why there weren't houses in their particular swamp or sandbar until the market started being comically bubble-driven and people built suburbs everywhere, etc.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

shovelbum posted:

as noted Wilmington has been around a very long time and as long as it doesn't straight up blow away, probably won't wash off the face of the earth

I've only made comparisons to Harvey in terms of the mechanism of having a hurricane partially offshore and remaining relatively stationary for an extended period of time. You basically wind-up hoovering the ocean directly onto land. That's how this could be like Harvey.

And this storm is going to impact way more than just the desolate areas of eastern North Carolina. Those areas are probably going to get the worst in terms of inland flooding, but there's going to be extensive inland flooding wherever this hurricane winds up going once it's done stalling*.

*The models all agree on the stall and have for like a day and a half now. The only disagreement is what happens after that stalling period.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Pfft it is just water, well and pig poo poo and radioactive coal ash and melting down reactors. What is the big whoop?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

are the carolinas dead yet>???

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Cao Ni Ma posted:

are the carolinas dead yet>???

florence is going to finish the job sherman couldnt

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Bullfrog posted:

opened this stream and freaked myself out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4NxkouGM

right now this stream is nothing but static

but i hear if you stare closely enough at it flo jumps out and drowns you...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

a twitter celeb in the making

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Jose posted:

hurricane helene

No one should be free from Guabancex wrath

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Ah, Troika being lame, nothing of value was lost. Probably been a year since reading GBS so lol nothing changes.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm ready

THS
Sep 15, 2017

post a pic of your hurricane preparedness supplies

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
It's nice that within my lifetime I get to see north carolina become a blue state

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

eating lots of fiber so i can drop trou, touch my toes, and poo poo in to the wind

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Frying Pan Cape Fear cam is down lol

twoday
May 4, 2005

You're supposed to piss into hurricanes, dummy

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

shovelbum posted:

Also I think Triangle ppl are overrepresented on SA bc it's a CITY OF NERDS so they're all relieved it's going south even if it's going there to turbofuck a huge section of coastline instead of burn out quickly in Raleigh

we consolidated our data centers

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Doc Walrus posted:

It's nice that within my lifetime I get to see north carolina become a blue state

Multitude of blue waves en route

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Doc Walrus posted:

Actually the pig poo poo lagoons are quite red

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Doc Walrus posted:

you were born after 2008??

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Mayor Dave posted:

Actually the pig poo poo lagoons are quite red

not yet :unsmigghh:

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

DryGoods posted:

you were born after 2008??

The joke stands :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Remember guys, you get about half an hour of respite in the storm, use this time to pillage

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

eonwe posted:

is anything above Cat 5 even defined as far as wind speed, and is it possible or is there kind of like a cap on the maximum power a hurricane can get

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercane

quote:

A hypercane is a hypothetical class of extreme tropical cyclone that could form if ocean temperatures reached 50 °C (122 °F), which is 15 °C (27 °F) warmer than the warmest ocean temperature ever recorded. Such an increase could be caused by a large asteroid or comet impact, a large supervolcanic eruption, or extensive global warming. There is some speculation that a series of hypercanes resulting from an impact by a large asteroid or comet contributed to the demise of the non-avian dinosaurs. The hypothesis was created by Kerry Emanuel of MIT, who also coined the term.

Hypercanes would have wind speeds of over 800 km/h (500 mph), and would also have a central pressure of less than 70 kilopascals (21 inHg) (700 millibars), giving them an enormous lifespan. For comparison, the largest and most intense storm on record was 1979's Typhoon Tip, with a wind speed of 305 kilometres per hour (190 mph) and central pressure of 87 kilopascals (26 inHg) (870 millibars). Such a storm would be eight times more powerful than the strongest storms yet recorded.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
hurricane jeb! somehow makes the land underneath it drier

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

rip carolinas

https://twitter.com/campbellnyt/status/1040041281664237569

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

lol

hope that one doctor guy packed an extra axe so he can break into the houses of all those patients he didn't want to leave behind