Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ADH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And again Armand fails to mention he's married. I have a feeling we're not suppose find his actions at all scummy.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Pharohman777 posted:

A salad made with 1 head of lettuce and half a tomato, plus a bunch of meat and cheese.

Thats not a salad, thats a burger missing its buns!

Hey now, at least this salad contains lettuce, rather than being a solitary lime with some random dressing components on it.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

WampaPartyEX posted:

I have no opinion on the wallpaper or tables but I do think you should fill the place with grandfather clocks to ensure that guests realize how much of Armand's valuable time they're wasting. As many grandfather clocks as possible.

This.

Also DEB because I love how disorienting the tables are with the flooring.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Robindaybird posted:

And again Armand fails to mention he's married. I have a feeling we're not suppose find his actions at all scummy.

I wonder if the writers who wrote this romance actually knew that?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Robindaybird posted:

I have a sinking feeling this'll end with a 'wacky' misunderstanding and Armand will have no idea he was being hit on all this time.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
You raise an interesting question: Is Armand stupider than he is vain and terrible?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Well Enchanted hat said this story throws curveballs he didn't expect coming out of RE1. Also the intro said something about unforseen troubles.

Armand bangs the heiress and Delila files for divorce... then Don Corleone whacks Armand.

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
So, the customers are even more money-grubbing than before when it comes to recipes! Wow. Also, is it required to buy the recipes for completion, or do they just eventually unlock as you play?

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Jack2142 posted:

Well Enchanted hat said this story throws curveballs he didn't expect coming out of RE1. Also the intro said something about unforseen troubles.

Armand bangs the heiress and Delila files for divorce... then Don Corleone whacks Armand.

Will we spend the rest of the game selling brain based dishes or will we specialize in blood based dishes?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Music Junkie posted:

So, the customers are even more money-grubbing than before when it comes to recipes! Wow. Also, is it required to buy the recipes for completion, or do they just eventually unlock as you play?

You get a small number of recipes for free, but even though I'm buying every single recipe I'm offered and investing in recipe research, I won't have anywhere near all the recipes by the end of the game.

Restaurant Empire 1 was a lot nicer about this, because you got the best recipes from story events and the ones you bought were a nice bonus. In this game, you have to pay if you want anything good. If you're not ready once you get to the endgame, you're poo poo out of luck, because it'll be too late to start researching.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Fates End posted:

Will we spend the rest of the game selling brain based dishes or will we specialize in blood based dishes?

Blood.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Not sure if Armand is quite Dracula material, but, well, I guess Count von Count and Count Chocula exist, so Armand will fit nicely in their league.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Fates End posted:

Not sure if Armand is quite Dracula material, but, well, I guess Count von Count and Count Chocula exist, so Armand will fit nicely in their league.

Count Arugula.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

This.

Also DEB because I love how disorienting the tables are with the flooring.

This, and the thing that they said "this" to, and also yes seal off the musicians from the rest of the room as much as possible.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Enchanted Hat posted:

You get a small number of recipes for free, but even though I'm buying every single recipe I'm offered and investing in recipe research, I won't have anywhere near all the recipes by the end of the game.

Restaurant Empire 1 was a lot nicer about this, because you got the best recipes from story events and the ones you bought were a nice bonus. In this game, you have to pay if you want anything good. If you're not ready once you get to the endgame, you're poo poo out of luck, because it'll be too late to start researching.

So there's a lot of recipes this time around then. Like, an obnoxiously huge quantity.

And I assume that it's more or less entirely random?

Also, count me in for the all-disorienting DEB combination and just make everything as visually obnoxious as possible.

Edit to add

loving 28% quality? Good lord. What if you went into this game and just got nothing but crap like this the entire time?

Gulping Again fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 13, 2018

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Gulping Again posted:

So there's a lot of recipes this time around then. Like, an obnoxiously huge quantity.

And I assume that it's more or less entirely random?

Also, count me in for the all-disorienting DEB combination and just make everything as visually obnoxious as possible.

Edit to add

loving 28% quality? Good lord. What if you went into this game and just got nothing but crap like this the entire time?

It's not quite that bad. The recipes you buy off customers are mostly random, though it seems the game prevents them from selling you really good endgame recipes until you're actually in the endgame (though once you're in the endgame, you will still be offered garbage early-game recipes).

In terms of recipe research, I ran a test, and the recipes you get appear to be non-random. While the first couple of recipes you get from recipe research are typically awful, you are guaranteed a great recipe once you've fully researched a research topic. Of course, you'll still have to pick the right things to research. I can tell you right now that there are at least three broad categories of recipe research topics that are pretty much completely useless, so if you happened to put all your money into those categories, you're not going to have a fun endgame.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I'm waiting to see if the heiress plot is going to be just relationship drama or if she's actually out to ruin Armand in revenge for Omnifood or in some plot to resurrect the Glorious Omnifood Empire by destroying its only real foe.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Maybe she's out for revenge but will actually fall for Armand.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Episode 6: Veal à l'or

Ok everyone. Turn your ovens off. Time's up! Stop what you're doing and bring your souffles here.

As you all know, the three of you are virtually tied during the previous round of challenges. This is the final round. Do well here and I just might pick you as my new apprentice.

As the winner, you'll get the opportunity to do what most chefs only dream about. I'll support you in competitions, mentor you one-on-one, and you get to work in a world class kitchen that serves the most sophisticated palettes.

And maybe if one of you impresses me enough, I might even gift you a little surprise. So let's get on with this shall we?

Fred, what do we have here?

I made a Banana Chocolate Chip Souffle, Chef…

Mmm… Not bad. This is very tasty. Presentation is awful though. It looks like it came straight out of a slimy fast food restaurant…

Ozkan, what did you make?

It's an Almond Souffle with Orange Sauce, Chef Lebouf.

Ughh… this tastes awful. I'm impressed by your presentation though. Your souffle is lovely. Unfortunately it does not taste like one…

Athanas, what have you got there?

Chestnut Souffle with Chocolate Cream, Chef…

Completely mediocre. You didn't melt the chocolate enough, and I can still taste its rough texture. Presentation-wise, it's not very good. Your souffle is bulge in the wrong places. But it's not ugly either, so I guess you didn't completely murder it. As I said, you're dessert is mediocre.

This is unfortunate as there's no clear-cut winner in this round. It makes my decision that much harder…Hmm… who do I choose?

Armand now has a second TV show about being a total rear end in a top hat to a bunch of aspiring chefs? What a strange concept. I doubt it'll catch on.

We can choose which of these chefs we want to hire. I don't really care about food quality, so let's go with the guy who made the totally disgusting but visually appealing tart "soufflé".

Ozkan!

I think with the proper guidance, you could make for a great head chef. Congratulations you've won the apprenticeship.

As I said at the start of the challenge, I may have a surprise for the winner if he impressed me enough. Well, I am impressed. And with you Ozkan, I think you’ve got a positively bright future ahead of you. So what's my surprise then?

Ozkan, I'm going to let you run my new restaurant in Paris. You'll have a hand in everything that will make that place a success. How does that sound to you?

Uh sir… I don't know what to say, Chef Lebouf…

Say yes.

It would be an honor…

We get another French restaurant! This is a tiny one located a couple of blocks from Treize à Table. It's named "La Lune Vague", which I think just means "the vague moon". I'm not sure what Armand was going for here.

Anyway, Armand's high off pretending to be Gordon Ramsay for that TV show, so let's go on a date with Michelle!

Ms. Poulan.

I was surprised you called when you did.

I'm full of surprises, Michele.

Well for the record, I'm glad you did… I've… missed you.

I've… thought about you as well.

Well maybe it's time we talked about this more seriously.

This?

Us.

Us?

Let's stop kidding around. I know you like me Armand. I can feel this chemistry between us every time we talk… I… I… like you Armand. No reason for me to hide it; should be no reason for you as well.

Let's stop this pretending between us. You and I both know we want this.

Michele…

You've made your point. No use in pretending then…

Dance?

Good old ladykiller Armand. Since everything is going so great now, I think the interior of Treize à Table ought to reflect that!

This isn't so bad in screenshot form, but this is actually kind of hard to look at when I'm playing the game. There's just so much visual garbage going on in this restaurant that it's difficult to process.

And we have our main man Armand to thank for all of this!

We got the results of our recipe research from last month. This is our new French dessert.

And this is our new American dessert, the chocolate-walnut pie. The quality ratings on these researched recipes are steadily going up.

This is our new tea recipe. That's some expensive cardamom/cardomom.

The new mixed drink.

And our new coffee shop food recipe. You know it's going to be a really nice, thick brownie when the amount of flour is zero.

For this mission, we need to make Ozkan's new restaurant profitable. Don't think that you'll be allowed to run a restaurant without an Armand shrine, Ozkan! Without Armand, you are NOTHING!

Back at Treize à Table, I buy this recipe for $17,550. It looks like a pretty good recipe, but what's the deal with the spikes? Is this filet of hedgehog?

Later in the day I go to check on La Lune Vague, and I notice that the restaurant is deep in the red and has made next to no revenue. It turns out that Ozkan has been standing around in the kitchen doorway for nearly the entire day, blocking the servers from collecting dishes to serve to our customers. Ozkan, if you weren't a member of the powerful Plot Characters' Union, you'd be out the door SO FAST.

At least in Treize à Table things are going well, with customers blissfully unaware of the violinist imprisoned behind the wine racks.

So because of Ozkan's incredible idiocy, La Lune Vague made a loss of about $83,000 during the last month, which is just a hair below our $16,000 profit target. This is what happens when you don't have friends of the knee-breaking variety like we did in Restaurant Empire 1.

It also occurs to me that I need to record another episode of Armand's TV show. Let's do that!

How's my boy today?

Same as always George… I feel great.

Good. I knew I could count on you. But let me give you a heads up on your third show which we'll be taping sometime next month.

We've finally hashed out a deal with Tim Brumann.

What can you tell me about him?

He's a Hollywood actor, popular among the younger crowd. He's got a new movie coming out same week as the show's third episode. So we thought this would make for good publicity.

I've never heard of him…

Well, you know, he's part of the new generation of up and coming stars. They say he's got 'superstar' written all over him. The hype on this guy is huge and the guest spot will probably help us attract a wider audience.

We've finally hashed out a deal with Tim Brumann.

Do I need to do anything differently when a guest is on stage?

Well for starters you're going to have to tell him what to do in the kitchen that's for sure. I was told he can't cook. Other than that though, you'll figure it out.

Got it. Well, I guess I'm on. I'll talk to you after…

Good luck.

Hi everyone. Well before I start introductions on our dish today, I wanted to tell you guys thanks first and foremost. We've received a tremendous amount of feedback over the last few days and the positive reactions to our show's direction have been gratifying…

… Italian dishes will be our main theme for today, and for our first one this evening we are going to start with a dish that many of you may know about, but probably have not tried to do yourselves. We're going to make a Smoked Salmon Pizza.

It is a versatile dish that you'll only need around 10 minutes to prepare and is perfect as a party appetizer, a light entrée or even the main course of a full meal…

I can't even tell what these ingredients are supposed to be.

For our next dish, we will be preparing lamb as our main ingredient. The dish is my very own Rosettes of Lamb with Truffles. These are brown lamb fillets fried and served with…

With potatoes, apparently. That's a whole lot of potatoes on that board.

Well, that's it for today. If you like what you see, please be sure to send your comments and suggestions to our website. And if you've got a killer recipe that you'd like to share with us, just post it in our forums and maybe you could win some great prizes.

"pls do the cinnnomun creps armond"

Posted by mafiak1ller at June 9 around 4:20.

Just remember: a dash of creativity and a pinch of variety is the wonderful blend to a satisfied stomach! That's all for today. Bye!

And with that, we've beaten this mission (after I rearranged the kitchen to prevent Ozkan from blocking the servers)!

Next mission, we'll be getting a new restaurant and an entirely new cuisine! This will also be when the restaurants start getting really, really ugly.

Enchanted Hat fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 18, 2018

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
Wow, Armand really is just a huge piece of poo poo.

That shrine became so perfect after that dateaffair that I don't know what to say except "marvelous."

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Enchanted Hat posted:

The new mixed drink.

Not going to lie this one actually seems tasty.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to find out how Delia is the one at fault here.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Restaurant Empire 2: Your souffle is bulge in the wrong places

I don't even care if that turns out to be the accurate phrasing, it still made me laugh like a child.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Jack2142 posted:

With all 10ml of Ginger ale? (For the record, that's two teaspoons)

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

You think, as you sip the tiny amount of liquid out of your half of a mango while juggling a mandarin and a half.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Come on, there's also a teaspoon of grenadine, so that's three teaspoons of liquid in all!

I also didn't notice that the ginger ale is $60 for one litre/30 ounces.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Armand you little poo poo.

This makes the second LP on my reading list involving mysterious music, bad cooking, and cheating spouses.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Well that cut from cheating to his shrine was unintentionally perfect.

Also lord is the guy even more of an rear end in a top hat in this game.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Wonder what the new cuisine is. Japanese? Chinese? Fijian? Who knows.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I assumed you were juicing the orange/mango.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Was there a female chef in RE1 other than Delia? If not, then Armand has at least attempted to become romantically involved with every woman in both games. What a guy.

Jack2142 posted:

That seems like a reasonable approach, but in this game the drink might just be some fruit and a small amount of liquid.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Enchanted Hat posted:

Let's stop this pretending between us. You and I both know we want this.

Michele…

You've made your point. No use in pretending then…

Dance?

HAHAHAHAHA

I seriously, seriously thought that there was no way they were going to go through with this, Armand would either cut it off or remain totally oblivious, but no, the writers are going full shitheel.

Are we going for a rise-and-fall story, like a shittier cooking version of the Godfather?
Is Delia going to be okay with it as Armand goes Mormon?
Or is she going to be portrayed as a villain, not good enough to tame his saucisson?

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

"Juicing the mango" is now my favorite euphemism for the bullshit ingredients in this game and I cannot possibly explain why.

"A hundred teaspoons of cinnamon? C'mon, you're juicing the mango."

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

queserasera posted:

Armand you little poo poo.

This makes the second LP on my reading list involving mysterious music, bad cooking, and cheating spouses.

Out of curiosity, what's the other one? It sounds like something I might enjoy!

Zedd posted:

Well that cut from cheating to his shrine was unintentionally perfect.

:colbert: you give me too little credit.

ultrafilter posted:

Was there a female chef in RE1 other than Delia? If not, then Armand has at least attempted to become romantically involved with every woman in both games. What a guy.

I'm pretty sure Delia was the only woman in RE1, so you're right, Armand has been romantically involved with every female character in the series so far.

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

Enchanted Hat posted:

This is our new tea recipe. That's some expensive cardamom/cardomom.

This actually makes a bit of sense; cardamom is the third most expensive spice (about $30 a pound, with green cardamom being more expensive than black). Of course, the next most expensive are vanilla (about $200 a pound), and saffron ($5000 a pound), so it's a pretty steep jump.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I had to agree if the mango and orange and mandarins are juiced, that's actually a pretty reasonable and tasting sounding recipe, but I've just been looking up how to make Outback's Wallaby Darned at home.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
In my head, that brownie is a fried egg dipped in chocolate, with vanilla added. I don't know what would happen if you just baked that whole flourless mixture. Would it just be bits of cooked egg trapped in chocolate?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Tbh i would definitely eat a dessert with runny egg yoke

Then again runny yoke are like the thing i can and will put on everything. Maybe i can bottle some in a squeeze bottle in my fridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If a brownie didn't have flour, would it be fudge instead?