Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

WerrWaaa posted:

What parish? I'll be in South Dakota at the end of the week

Oh word? What part and for what purpose if I might ask?

I'll PM you, rather not doxx myself more than I already have.

edit: though I'll probably not be around much next weekend, my brother is returning from deployment and I'm helping him move stuff out of storage.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also, WerrWaa, if you have pollen allergies I would start taking a nasal corticosteroid (something like Flonase) ASAP as they take a few days to build up effectiveness. It's peak allergy season here.

And if you want recommendations on things to see and stuff to do I'm happy to give some suggestions, though I dunno how much free time you'll have?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Reading the last page and a half I think I'm coming from a completely different direction re: the terminology of magic and suchlike, because I absolutely 100% file prayer/liturgy/religious ritual under the "magic" umbrella. (I bet Tias does too :v: )

I'm taking a religion class right now, and one of the academic terms presented is that prayer and sacrifice are, well, a latin phrase I don't remember, but which means "give and return". We ask for something, in the case of prayer; and in the case of sacrifice, we give something, and then we might receive what we want.

All of norse religions concepts of prayer and sacrifice are rooted in this idea, that you ask for the Gods to help you or your community personally. This, I think, is a kind of magical thinking - and because this is how I see spiritual matters, christianity appears to work the same way to me.

To a true believer, the powers and miracles of faith aren't magical, they are just truth. They might also be magical, in which case we run into some christians problem with approaching everything not sanctioning by their specific church as demon-gotten magic, which is just nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Do ut des?

Tias
May 25, 2008

If any of you know which saint takes cares of dreams and sleep troubles, I'd appreciate a prayers for his/her intercession. I'm in a sleep lab today and tomorrow, all wired up like a ghetto cyborg, in hopes that they can monitor me to find out why I have the sleep disorders that have been wrecking my sleep quality for most of my life. If they find something, it's going to be a real game changer for me.

That's the one, thanks!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

If any of you know which saint takes cares of dreams and sleep troubles, I'd appreciate a prayers for his/her intercession. I'm in a sleep lab today and tomorrow, all wired up like a ghetto cyborg, in hopes that they can monitor me to find out why I have the sleep disorders that have been wrecking my sleep quality for most of my life. If they find something, it's going to be a real game changer for me.
seven sleepers of ephesus

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Tias posted:

God be with you, I’m praying so hard that they find something.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

edit: HEY GAL if you're still job searching I would encourage you to look at tribal colleges, I can give you some leads and contacts. TCUs are a good place to start a teaching career and iirc you have some background understanding of Southwestern US tribal issues. The pay is terrible but it's a good start, and your background in the Dine/Navajo area combined with your academic pedigree gives you a good chance of landing a job with them.
and if i go to alaska i'll finally be surrounded by other orthodox

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

I'll be praying today while I get my next round of chemotherapy...let me know if anybody has any new intentions (other than Tias' sleep problem :) )

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pershing posted:

I'll be praying today while I get my next round of chemotherapy...let me know if anybody has any new intentions (other than Tias' sleep problem :) )

j o b a p p l i c a t i o n s i n a c a d e m i a

also, i will pray for your healing

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
can any of my british peeps hook me up with some devotions to st george or books about him? especially from the early 20th/late 19th century. I am praying for strength in personal combat.

edit: high anglican or anglocatholic is acceptable in this instance

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

HEY GUNS posted:

also, i will pray for your healing

Thank you! One of the good things about this is all the patron saints im learning about as I pray.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

HEY GUNS posted:

oh man good luck. a few of my friends and family have suggested to me over the years "why don't you just go to grad school i bet you'd be good at it" and this is the reason i don't

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Tias posted:

That's the one, thanks!

I had one of those tests. It's not a big deal, but make sure you take a selfie for later giggles.

I just needed more sunlight and less stress to help me sleep. Hope things work out for you.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Pershing posted:

Thank you! One of the good things about this is all the patron saints im learning about as I pray.

That is an impressively positive outlook there dude. Hoping all is still going ok with you.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Mr Enderby posted:

That is an impressively positive outlook there dude. Hoping all is still going ok with you.

I've cried my tears too! Last week when my wife was in the hospital drat near killed me with stress and anxiety. I just had my latest infusion today as well. I'm going to hurt for the next few days and that suffering is unavoidable.

The prayer for others helps. Praying with the saints helps...I like to picture myself holding hands in a prayer circle with the Virgin and my favorite saints, that gives me a good feeling.

Asking Christ to unite my suffering to his helps. Balancing out the sadness by reminding myself of what I have spiritually helps...I can't be defeated because Christ has already won the most important victory for me.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Please add my parents to your prayers, friend. I don't get along with them, although I'm trying.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

So at Mass today the priest changed a word during the Eucharistic prayers. It went from "and gave the chalice to his disciples," to, "and gave the chalice to his friends." Now, I'm pretty sure that changing the words of consecration invalidates the sacrament, but I'm also pretty sure that the words that must be said and can't be changed don't start until "Take this, all of you, and drink from it..." Am I correct that the priest didn't do anything to invalidate the sacrament? I ask because if he did I would feel the need to contact the pastor. I'm not too concerned with minor "liturgical abuses" but messing with the validation of the Eucharist is a big thing.

Congrats on making it to Mass!

Cythereal posted:

I really do not understand that and it's completely foreign to my understanding of what Christianity is, but I'll take your word for it.

Sorry, Spacewolf.

Even in the clergy of the Catholic Church, you can find voices calling out ritualism and even superstition among practitioners. For reasons that are obvious to me, these voices are fewer than those who may silently support or even encourage mere attachment to ritual. I appreciate these rare, internal critiques, because if you want to remove the binds which keep people from God, it is helpful to walk with them and understand the nature of their clinging. In that sense, I also appreciate your perspective. You may stand outside the Catholic Church, but you stand within the community of those who are happy to be called Christians.

I don't hate ritual. It's one of the last safeguards before chaos. No doubt I've been rescued by ritual. But I also look deeply at intentions (which are hidden) and fruits (which are apparent).

Tias
May 25, 2008

As I'm still working on my world of darkness: crusader scenario, I'm on the look out for horror-tinged classical music. I know some of the requieums have really creepy movements, but I couldn't say which because it's so long ago I've heard them. Got any?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Tias posted:

As I'm still working on my world of darkness: crusader scenario, I'm on the look out for horror-tinged classical music. I know some of the requieums have really creepy movements, but I couldn't say which because it's so long ago I've heard them. Got any?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp3BlFZWJNA
Penderecki's "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima" (1960) is scary as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbbtmskCRUY
Rachmaninov's "The Isle of the Dead" seems to fit the bill, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fizh0M8TczA
Mussorgsky's "A Night on Bald Mountain" is the musical depiction of a witch's sabbath on said mountain during St John's Eve. Mussorgsky never got to publish the work during his lifetime. Rimsky-Korsakov took it up to edit and finally publish the yet unfinished work. The greatest change is that he inserted a variation of the Ave Maria together with ringing church bells at the end of the piece, signalising the eventual victory of Christianity over the forces of darkness. Afaik there's no indication that Mussorgsky ever indicated to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD3QE4Xq270
Giovanni Valentini (1582/83-1649) was an Italian baroque composer who is largedly forgotten nowadays - quite undeservedly so! His compositions are that atypical that when I first heard them I was honestly convinced that it had to be a fake; he follows early baroque musical traditions and conventions, but in a way that I haven't really heard anywhere else. I guess this piece isn't "creepy" per se, but feels very... not "wrong", but definitely weird, I'd say. As long as you are at least somewhat familiar with baroque music, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPp3Qh-GRqs
Khachaturian's "Masquerade Waltz" has always felt sort of eerie to me; I guess it reminds me of Poe's "The Masque of the Red Death", where nobles waltz away while death and horror rage outside the castle walls, oblivious to the fact that their time is coming to an end, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHqoJoWa2zY
A song from 9th century Germany, sung in Old High German. It is about the end of the world and the time when God's Divine Justice will finally come over us

quote:

Have you read the prophesies, which tell how the Lord will appear threateningly from above, and shake the heavens? What man on earth could then resist, when the Lord causes even the heavens to quake? Keep this image in your mind: He will fold up the heavens with His powerful hand, like a book snapped shut.

A bit all over the place, but I hope there is at least something in there that you can use! :)

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Tias posted:

Tocata and fuge in d minor is basically dracula's ring tone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9rZjlsyYY

But I would find it distractedly anachronistic for a crusades themed game. On the other hand Gregorian chant is both mad spooky, and period appropriate. This was the first result on google, and I'm already feeling like skulking around some dark ruins in a cape. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-hrBhA4XkM

Pershing posted:

I've cried my tears too! Last week when my wife was in the hospital drat near killed me with stress and anxiety. I just had my latest infusion today as well. I'm going to hurt for the next few days and that suffering is unavoidable.

The prayer for others helps. Praying with the saints helps...I like to picture myself holding hands in a prayer circle with the Virgin and my favorite saints, that gives me a good feeling.

Asking Christ to unite my suffering to his helps. Balancing out the sadness by reminding myself of what I have spiritually helps...I can't be defeated because Christ has already won the most important victory for me.

This is all really interesting to me.

Tias
May 25, 2008

This is all amazingly creepy, thanks!

I'm going to include Saint-Saens Dans Macabre as well, I don't think it's period appropriate either, but it owns.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Orff's "O, Fortuna" gets used a lot in horror for some reason.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Epicurius posted:

Orff's "O, Fortuna" gets used a lot in horror for some reason.

It's kind of discordant I guess?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HopperUK posted:

It's kind of discordant I guess?

Discordant and Latin. So it's perfect background music for the birth of the Antichrist or something like that.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Does anyone have recommendations for podcasts focusing on Orthodox Theology?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Oh no, guess what's spread from Pentacostalism into Catholicism

https://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/comments/9f99bh/consider_joining_auxilium_christianorum_a_set_of/

http://auxiliumchristianorum.org/

https://www.amazon.com/Prayers-Auxilium-Christianorum-Chad-Ripperger/dp/1979704902

Traditionally, Catholics are so tight about who can drive out demons and who can't that the Vatican's never allowed the full text of the exorcism to get spread around. This is...uh....not that. It's also unnerving that they believe these demons they're supposedly encountering have power over them, since the Orthodox teach that they have no true power over any baptized person. Unless you believe they do.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 13, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I like their "We're approved by a bishop, but we can't tell you which bishop." It also seems to be associated with the increasingly bizzare Fr. Chad Ripperger?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Epicurius posted:

I like their "We're approved by a bishop, but we can't tell you which bishop." It also seems to be associated with the increasingly bizzare Fr. Chad Ripperger?

Hiss. Not a name I expected to see here.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i was wondering why st benedict was so big on the internet, and now i'm all oh no

Epicurius posted:

I like their "We're approved by a bishop, but we can't tell you which bishop."
when an Orthodox tells you that it's always code for Good Times

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

increasingly bizzare
if the orthodox are right, he's slowly been driving himself insane

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Worthleast posted:

Hiss. Not a name I expected to see here.

not surprised you hate chads

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

not surprised you hate chads
nickname names piss me the gently caress off

like it's ok if that's what he calls himself but if that's his legal name then ffff

charles, barbara, elizabeth, susanna, mary

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

does anybody disagree with me that maybe we can hold off on the demon stuff until we get all people food, medical care, and a safe place to live? i hold this opinion because otherwise I feel like even talking about someone being possessed is far too easily abused by people with power and agendas

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

does anybody disagree with me that maybe we can hold off on the demon stuff until we get all people food, medical care, and a safe place to live? i hold this opinion because otherwise I feel like even talking about someone being possessed is far too easily abused by people with power and agendas

In many non-Western cultures, the experience of the human person in a spiritual world means that the influence of spirits, demonic or otherwise, is an extremely important part of their worldview, even effecting their everyday life. My closest friend being part Haitian, I see this in his and his family's life. "An angel came to me in my sleep last night, and asked that I make a pilgrimage to the Shrine of Theresa" is a sentence his mother said to me without a hint of thinking it was unusual or rare. I find it uncharitable, then, to hand-wave away the experience of angels or demons, specifically because of how important it is in these cultures.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 13, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

if the orthodox are right, he's slowly been driving himself insane

There's this King of the Hill line that sort of fits:

Dale Gribble posted:

Witchard? Jimmy Witchard? You told Bobby to listen to Jimmy Witchard? He was in my gun club. People say he fried his brain one day, just staring at the sun. Of course, he couldn't have been too smart to do that in the first place. . .Kind of a chicken-egg thing.

But some wisdom from Fr. Chad about "Generational spirits"

quote:

“It can also be over races,” maintains the exorcist. “Every single race has one. If you look at the Native American Indians, very often they are beset by a spirit passed on by the Native American spirituality.” With Hispanics, he says, there may be an Aztec or Mayan ancestry steeped in occultism or the effects of practices such as Santeria. Pagan practices in India and deep Africa pose special issues, he notes.

quote:

Father Ripperger has observed that spirits of Freeemasony are often associated in families with respiratory illnesses

Father Chad was a member of the FSSP (They were the group that split off of the SSPX after Lefebvre did his consecrations), until he left them and founded his own group, the Dolorians (Society of the Most Sorrowful Mother), which is all about the exorcisms. They were in the diocese of Tulsa for a while, until the new Bishop came along and kicked them out for a variety of reasons (Latin mass, all the exorcism stuff, Dolorian muttering about Bergoglioism), and they wound up in Denver.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 13, 2018

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

I simply do not trust any priest with that sort of personal following. The last priest I knew that had people fawning over him like that has his name in the Pennsylvania grand jury report.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Worthleast posted:

I simply do not trust any priest with that sort of personal following. The last priest I knew that had people fawning over him like that has his name in the Pennsylvania grand jury report.

You familiar with Fr. John Corapi? The first time my mother saw him on EWTN she immediately said, "I don't trust that man, at all."

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 13, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

oh lol thats the demon race science guy?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Thirteen Orphans posted:

In many non-Western cultures, the experience of the human person in a spiritual world means that the influence of spirits, demonic or otherwise, is an extremely important part of their worldview, even effecting their everyday life. My closest friend being part Haitian, I see this in his and his family's life. "An angel came to me in my sleep last night, and asked that I make a pilgrimage to the Shrine of Theresa" is a sentence his mother said to me without a hint of thinking it was unusual or rare. I find it uncharitable, then, to hand-wave away the experience of angels or demons, specifically because of how important it is in these cultures.

i find it a bit uncharitable that you are same-ing my post with people i've never met and a culture i'm not super familiar with. you have not established that your friend's mom and I speak about these things in the same way, therefore i find it inappropriate that you use this (in part) to tell me not to say what i said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i find it a bit uncharitable that you are same-ing my post with people i've never met and a culture i'm not super familiar with. you have not established that your friend's mom and I speak about these things in the same way, therefore i find it inappropriate that you use this (in part) to tell me not to say what i said

I didn't mean to be uncharitable, you asked if anyone disagreed with your statement and I told you I did and why I did. It wasn't meant to be an attack.

EDIT: Oh, I re-read my post, I didn't mean to imply YOU were uncharitable, but it would be uncharitable to dismiss them once they were understood. That was unclear, I apologize.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 13, 2018