Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Like these guys?

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/553511/

That's Josiah Zayner, who sells diy CRISPR kits, saying he regrets popularizing "biohacking" with dumb stunts.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/05/aaron-traywick-death-ascendance-biomedical/559745/

Aaron Traywick was the CEO of Ascendance Biomedical, and objected himself with an experimental herpes vaccine. His deal was trying to skirt drug development and testing regulations. He died during a sensory deprivation tank spa treatment.

Wikipedia tells me Traywick’s cause of death was ruled drowning and he had ketamine in his system

I remember when that Zayner guy first did his CRISPR injection. Didn’t realize the guy has a PhD in biochem and biophysics, so...he knew that wouldn’t have worked like at all :psyduck: But now he regrets it? gently caress this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

He died during a sensory deprivation tank spa treatment.

How'd he know he died?

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

How'd he know he died?

You mean like that tree that no one heard?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Exactly. Really makes you think.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

coronatae posted:

Wikipedia tells me Traywick’s cause of death was ruled drowning and he had ketamine in his system

I remember when that Zayner guy first did his CRISPR injection. Didn’t realize the guy has a PhD in biochem and biophysics, so...he knew that wouldn’t have worked like at all :psyduck: But now he regrets it? gently caress this guy

Ketamine again huh? :thunk:

But yeah, that guy. I was trying to find the guy's blog post where he was hyping it as The Future, but I didn't have enough time to keep digging. I feel like it's been posted in here or in the pseudoscience thread before, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pharmaceutical CEO raises the price of antibiotics by 400% to $2300 a bottle, says it's because his company has a "moral imperative" to make as much money as possible.

quote:

"I think it is a moral requirement to make money when you can," Mulye told the Financial Times, "to sell the product for the highest price."

The Financial Times said Mulye compared his decision to increase the price to that of an art dealer who sells "a painting for half a billion dollars" and said he was in "this business to make money."

At what point does raiding the building become a moral imperative?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Pharma may be more villainous than finance and Tech and boy oh boy is that saying loving something.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

Pharma may be more villainous than finance and Tech and boy oh boy is that saying loving something.

Donald Trump called Martin Shkreli an rear end in a top hat during the campaign for raising drug prices like he did, and I'm pretty sure he meant it too.

Think about that. His business practices were too lovely for Donald Trump.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Donald Trump called Martin Shkreli an rear end in a top hat during the campaign for raising drug prices like he did, and I'm pretty sure he meant it too.

Think about that. His business practices were too lovely for Donald Trump.
Shkreli's only mistake was not having the common sense to feign feeling bad about what he was doing.

He absolutely would have gotten a free pass if he'd said, "look, it costs money to develop new drugs and yeah, this sucks, but that's the system." instead of his supervillain routine.

The American media, and even the public, will forgive a lot of ongoing horrible behavior with just a little humility.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Azathoth posted:

Shkreli's only mistake was not having the common sense to feign feeling bad about what he was doing.

He absolutely would have gotten a free pass if he'd said, "look, it costs money to develop new drugs and yeah, this sucks, but that's the system." instead of his supervillain routine.

The American media, and even the public, will forgive a lot of ongoing horrible behavior with just a little humility.

Like I said, Shkreli had astoundingly lovely business methods at every level conceivable.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just take him out back and shoot him, he's ruined

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Thank Milton Friedman for this bullshit idea.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Azathoth posted:

He didn't get busted for that. He got busted for messing with rich people's money. Don't forget that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pick posted:

He didn't get busted for that. He got busted for messing with rich people's money. Don't forget that.

He Madoffed himself?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

e: Sorry about this!

StrixNebulosa has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Sep 13, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tumblr, with no source, so no clue if this is bullshit or not, but it's good and creepy anyways:

Finnish soldiers showing the skin of a cannibalized Russian soldier. Russia actually had to implement anti cannibalism brigades during WWII. 1940.

The Finns hated the Soviets enough that they joined the Nazis to keep fighting them so I'm not sure I'd really trust them a whole lot on matters about the Soviets. I haven't seen the "anti-cannibalism brigade" thing anywhere else.

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Sep 13, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tumblr, with no source, so no clue if this is bullshit or not

Unsourced and it's from Tumblr? Yeah, that's some bullshit.

Not to mention that if you're cutting up the bodies of your comrades for food, you don't loving skin them. That's way too much unnecessary effort.

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting

holy fuckken poo poo, I thought it would be one of those fancy new antiboitics like a fifth genereration cephalosporin or something but nope, it's one of the most basic antibiotics used for urinary tract infections.

A 40 capsule prescription is about 3 dolllars here in Mexico, so uh EAT THE RICH, come to México y'all!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tumblr, with no source, so no clue if this is bullshit or not, it's bullshit! but it's good and creepy anyways:

Finnish soldiers showing the skin of a cannibalized Russian soldier. Russia actually had to implement anti cannibalism brigades during WWII. 1940.

IIRC that's from the earlier Winter War when the Soviets sent their troops into Finland without adequate winter equipment or supplies. IIRC the story was that a recon unit got cut off for a couple months in a remote area during the winter and they killed and ate several of their comrades after running out of supplies, cutting up the bodies to carry with them. The photos were classified and locked up until the 80s by the Finnish military, along with other photos deemed too shocking for public release.

Now the "anti-cannibalism brigade" thing was mainly from the siege of Leningrad, and specifically the first winter of the siege. The NKVD and city police had to set up a special department to deal with civilians stealing and eating corpses. "person-eating" was much rarer than "corpse-eating" or murdering somebody to steal their rations. Corpse eaters were simply sent to prison while murderers were executed. It was only something like 2-3,000 incidents, and only a fraction of those being murder-for-flesh, in a siege that killed 1,500,000 some civilians and soldiers trapped in the city.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

He Madoffed himself?

He got busted for securities fraud and got a crazy long sentence. Dude likely could have weaseled out of it with fines and probation, maybe a couple months tops, if he wasn't a smug, unrepentant jackass at every turn.

But yeah, every slimy thing he did with prescription drug prices was completely legal.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pick posted:

ya came here to post this, so ust imagine it with worse spelling and bang that's my bpsot

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/NWSWilmingtonNC/status/1039846247354511361

Nature is terrifying.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Azathoth posted:

He got busted for securities fraud and got a crazy long sentence. Dude likely could have weaseled out of it with fines and probation, maybe a couple months tops, if he wasn't a smug, unrepentant jackass at every turn.

But yeah, every slimy thing he did with prescription drug prices was completely legal.

No I meant more if you steal from the poor you get a pat on the back but stealing from the rich is off the table. To be fair, I'm not entirely sure on who all Bernie hosed over but I wouldn't be surprised if they quit putting up with it once it started affecting the rich

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

xtal posted:

If they were going to do that why not just use fentanyl? Then nobody would care because it would be one blip on the radar. Or, they could just beat people until they leave or die. Then nobody would care because it would also be one blip on the radar
If 70+ people overdosed on fentanyl, there would be a serious investigation. Police in CT are unbelievably racist, but only because nobody believes we can be as racist as "The South."

lighthugger posted:

gently caress. That’s like my third time reading that article, and each time I get so furious at the hubris and ego of those loving “fire investigators”.
If anyone deserves to be shot in the back of the head, it's the fucker who claimed that 80% of fires are arson.

chitoryu12 posted:

At what point does raiding the building become a moral imperative?
For the US? Sometime in the 1800s.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tumblr, with no source, so no clue if this is bullshit or not, it's bullshit! but it's good and creepy anyways:

I'm not sure on the source, but mujaheddin in Afghanistan in the '80s (CW: extremely graphic violence) killed captured Russian soldiers by running a knife around the waist, peeling the skin up, and tying it in a knot above the head and leaving them to die of either blood loss of suffocation, whichever happened first.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

I'm not sure on the source, but mujaheddin in Afghanistan in the '80s (CW: extremely graphic violence) killed captured Russian soldiers by running a knife around the waist, peeling the skin up, and tying it in a knot above the head and leaving them to die of either blood loss of suffocation, whichever happened first.

:stonk:

what the gently caress

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Milo and POTUS posted:

No I meant more if you steal from the poor you get a pat on the back but stealing from the rich is off the table. To be fair, I'm not entirely sure on who all Bernie hosed over but I wouldn't be surprised if they quit putting up with it once it started affecting the rich

It was all rich people, so no worries. Rich people and non-profit organizations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Formerly rich people.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The rest of the pharmaceutical industry was pissed off at Shkreli because he was making them look bad... by being so dumb and obvious about it. What he did is considered normal practice, it’s just usually cloaked in a more competent corporate messaging plan and represented by people who aren’t scientifically the least trustworthy-looking human being alive

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

Madoff didn't get caught until he confessed out of the blue, which was precipitated by his ponzi scheme running out of money. I'm unclear on how close he actually was to insolvency, but he knew it was the end. The very nature of his scheme meant that it was inevitable.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

GWBBQ posted:

If 70+ people overdosed on fentanyl, there would be a serious investigation. Police in CT are unbelievably racist, but only because nobody believes we can be as racist as "The South."

If anyone deserves to be shot in the back of the head, it's the fucker who claimed that 80% of fires are arson.

I wourl definitely want a source on that because it reads like propaganda about the savage and backwards Musselman.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

Does a doctor wanna weigh in and let me know if this is possible? Because if it is, that's loving crazy.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Eh, I have heard variants of the story. First time I heard it it was the mob doing that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
You are likely going to pass out from shock if that happens to.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It’s propaganda about the mooslems or it’s just something Eli Roth came up with while jacking it, either way it’s pretty dubious

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Does a doctor wanna weigh in and let me know if this is possible? Because if it is, that's loving crazy.

As a former army medic I'm not qualified to say anything for sure but if nothing else I'm skeptical about the mechanics of tying one's skin in a knot above their head because I think your arms would get in the way.

Anyway I'm pretty sure you'd go into hypovolemic shock long before such origami projects could be completed.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

:stonk:

what the gently caress
It was in the book Charlie Wilson's War.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TorpedoFish posted:

As a former army medic I'm not qualified to say anything for sure but if nothing else I'm skeptical about the mechanics of tying one's skin in a knot above their head because I think your arms would get in the way.

Anyway I'm pretty sure you'd go into hypovolemic shock long before such origami projects could be completed.

I mean at that point why not just employ good old fashioned scaphism. Which I guess also might not have existed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GWBBQ posted:

That's fuckin metal

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Shout out to the brave mujahideen fighters if Afghanistan for tying someone's skin alrkund their head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

i have all the technical understanding to make a guillotine since im trained in carpentry and metal working. honestly im thinking i might want to start cranking some of these puppies out soon cuz it's only a matter of time tbh