Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kitfox88 posted:

Or when half their brain is obliterated, like that one father who's son killed him and his wife. But yeah, hopefully that dude's gonna be alright, parents outliving their children is a sad thing. :smith:

also hurray, digital era lynch mobbing. this cyberpunk future sucks rear end, where's my goddamn deckers and dragons running for president

Welcome to the future, where we have all of the moral and societal decay of a cyberpunk setting, with none of the cool cyborg parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Grand Gigas posted:

Read the article. 800 then 8000 by day two.
Well gently caress.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Moving on from my previous, terrible, inexcusable post,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/08/16/it-is-taking-people-out-more-than-70-people-overdose-on-k2-in-a-single-day-in-new-haven/?utm_term=.36c6f44fc93

A couple of weeks ago, around 100 people overdosed on K2 on the town green in New Haven, CT. The green is known as a place where homeless people gather. The numbers are plus/minus 20 (I think the official count is 84) because the heat index was so high that heat exhaustion and heatstroke were also factors. Initial tests indicated that it was contaminated with fentanyl, but later tests ruled that out and field tests for drugs administered by police are designed to err on the side of false positives.0

Further tests found no evidence of opiates and suggested that the overdoses were entirely due to synthetic cannabinoids. More local rumors that I can't substantiate but am inclined to believe suggest that local police used undercover officers and informants to distribute high potency versions of K2 to the local homeless and drug user populations to clear downtown in preparation for Yale orientation.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

GWBBQ posted:

Moving on from my previous, terrible, inexcusable post,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/08/16/it-is-taking-people-out-more-than-70-people-overdose-on-k2-in-a-single-day-in-new-haven/?utm_term=.36c6f44fc93

A couple of weeks ago, around 100 people overdosed on K2 on the town green in New Haven, CT. The green is known as a place where homeless people gather. The numbers are plus/minus 20 (I think the official count is 84) because the heat index was so high that heat exhaustion and heatstroke were also factors. Initial tests indicated that it was contaminated with fentanyl, but later tests ruled that out and field tests for drugs administered by police are designed to err on the side of false positives.0

Further tests found no evidence of opiates and suggested that the overdoses were entirely due to synthetic cannabinoids. More local rumors that I can't substantiate but am inclined to believe suggest that local police used undercover officers and informants to distribute high potency versions of K2 to the local homeless and drug user populations to clear downtown in preparation for Yale orientation.

If they were going to do that why not just use fentanyl? Then nobody would care because it would be one blip on the radar. Or, they could just beat people until they leave or die. Then nobody would care because it would also be one blip on the radar

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

xtal posted:

If they were going to do that why not just use fentanyl? Then nobody would care because it would be one blip on the radar. Or, they could just beat people until they leave or die. Then nobody would care because it would also be one blip on the radar

Q What do animal cruelty police brutality and your posts in this thread all have in common

A They’re all bad and should go away

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e: on second thought, no

xtal has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Sep 2, 2018

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

After reading the article about Rack Man being identified, can someone explain to me why identifying victims/corpses with DNA is cool and good, but identifying criminals, murderers, etc. with DNA is dumb and bad? The latter comes up in this thread from time to time and there's never any good explanation of why it only works correctly for victims.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Because the justice system in America is hosed up and DNA's been falsely used to get convictions on innocent people before, both due to errors in the science with genuine mistakes, or because of corrupt justice system officials faking it to get convictions. Whereas there's generally not that sort of push and reward for the system if you fake a victim's identification with it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mammal Sauce posted:

After reading the article about Rack Man being identified, can someone explain to me why identifying victims/corpses with DNA is cool and good, but identifying criminals, murderers, etc. with DNA is dumb and bad? The latter comes up in this thread from time to time and there's never any good explanation of why it only works correctly for victims.

If you can get a DNA sample from a body it isn't all that difficult to identify them. Like if a family reports somebody missing, their body never turns up, then later you find one and, what would you know, they're within a certain % match of the family it's probably that person. Forensics can tell you all sorts of things about a body; like "this person went missing 8 months ago. The body is in a state it would be in after about 8 months of decay. The DNA matches the gene pool of people who were related to the missing person" is good enough.

DNA evidence at a crime scene though...well that's more complex. Like was already said America's justice system is turbo hosed. DNA evidence might be fabricated for one but for the other DNA evidence by itself just isn't enough. If your DNA matches something found at a crime scene all it really proves is that your DNA was there. It's murky because something could have happened like a hair fell off of you while you were walking around, it got stuck to the killer's shoe, then the killer washed his shoes nearby to get the blood off. Now your hair is there. It makes a good slice of evidence for something like a serial killer. If the DNA on random biological detritus left at the scene of 12 crimes all matches and one person is a very close match for all of them that person is now very, very suspicious. Of course in reality it could be a weird coincidence; maybe all of that was just all 12 victims happened to all hire the same cleaning lady.

The burden of proof for identifying a victim is lower than for getting a conviction. It's a real problem as TV shows view DNA evidence as absolutely damning so now juries want it. It can be very easy to convince somebody "we found X person's DNA at the crime scene. Therefore X person must be guilty!" Well, no. All that really proves is that that person's DNA was there. Let's say you were scouring a gas station for DNA to figure out who robbed it and murdered the cashier that one night. Take a guess how many different peoples' DNA you'd find.

Of course the other side of it is that DNA can conversely prove pretty solidly that somebody had nothing to do with a crime. The Innocence Project has been all over that; apparently there are a lot of cases where nobody even bothered to consider testing the DNA. Somebody goes to jail and the appelate courts finally hear it, the DNA gets tested, and the guy in jail has a 0% chance of being the person who committed the crime. Whoops!

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Mammal Sauce posted:

After reading the article about Rack Man being identified, can someone explain to me why identifying victims/corpses with DNA is cool and good, but identifying criminals, murderers, etc. with DNA is dumb and bad?

Because the victim is a huge lump of dna, whereas the relatively small bits of other dna on/near the victim could be from the perp or could be from someone unrelated to the crime.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Tbh Im waiting for the first lawsuit to hit one of the social media websites for aiding and abetting some poo poo. Thats going to be what makes them take it seriously.

To be clear, its going to have to be one of the things where the prosecution shows that the site knew about it the poo poo and didnt take action.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mammal Sauce posted:

When you've got DNA from a crime scene you don't always have some pure and unadulterated sample. You've got some that's contaminated with other DNA. Sussing out which is which involves some degree of subjectivity.

I believe I linked to the PCAST report from a couple years ago, but here it is again:

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/PCAST/pcast_forensic_science_report_final.pdf

quote:

DNA analysis of a sample from a single individual is an objective method. In addition to the laboratory protocols being precisely defined, the interpretation also involves little or no human judgment.
Many sexual assault cases involve DNA mixtures of two individuals, where one individual (i.e., the victim) is known. DNA analysis of these simple mixtures is also relatively straightforward. Methods have been used for 30 years to differentially extract DNA from sperm cells vs. vaginal epithelial cells, making it possible to generate DNA profiles from the two sources. Where the two cell types are the same but one contributor is known, the alleles of the known individual can be subtracted from the set of alleles identified in the mixture. Once the known source is removed, the analysis of the unknown sample then proceeds as above for single-source samples. Like the analysis of single-source samples, the analysis of simple mixtures is a largely objective method.
The fundamental difference between DNA analysis of complex-mixture samples and DNA analysis of single-source and simple mixtures lies not in the laboratory processing, but in the interpretation of the resulting DNA profile.

DNA analysis of complex mixtures—defined as mixtures with more than two contributors—is inherently difficult and even more for small amounts of DNA. Such samples result in a DNA profile that superimposes multiple individual DNA profiles. Interpreting a mixed profile is different for multiple reasons: each individual may contribute two, one or zero alleles at each locus; the alleles may overlap with one another ; the peak heights may differ considerably, owing to differences in the amount and state of preservation of the DNA from each source; and the “stutter peaks” that surround alleles (common artifacts of the DNA amplification process) can obscure alleles that are present or suggest alleles that are not present. It is often impossible to tell with certainty which alleles are present in the mixture or how many separate individuals contributed to the mixture, let alone accurately to infer the DNA profile of each individual.

Instead, examiners must ask: “Could a suspect’s DNA profile be present within the mixture profile? And, what is the probability that such an observation might occur by chance?” The questions are challenging for the reasons given above. Because many different DNA profiles may fit within some mixture profiles, the probability that a suspect “cannot be excluded” as a possible contributor to complex mixture may be much higher (in some cases, millions of times higher) than the probabilities encountered for matches to single-source DNA profiles. As a result, proper calculation of the statistical weight is critical for presenting accurate information in court.

That said, DNA analysis is a hugely useful tool, but certain aspects of it can really be overstated in terms of the whole "reasonable doubt" thing.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Thanks for all the answers. It makes more sense, now.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Aren’t there also human rights laws that apply to living people but not dead bodies, vis a vis the idea of walking up to somebody and being like “your body, give me a piece of your body”

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pirate Radar posted:

Aren’t there also human rights laws that apply to living people but not dead bodies, vis a vis the idea of walking up to somebody and being like “your body, give me a piece of your body”

I'm not a lawyer but I think DNA can be acquired with a proper warrant. They obviously aren't going to take a biopsy but they don't need that; you can get enough DNA out of a vial of spit. The Golden State Killer I think they got the DNA from a tissue in his garbage or something.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm not a lawyer but I think DNA can be acquired with a proper warrant. They obviously aren't going to take a biopsy but they don't need that; you can get enough DNA out of a vial of spit. The Golden State Killer I think they got the DNA from a tissue in his garbage or something.

Anyone can acquire DNA easily: that garbage tissue is public property. Testing it also doesn't require a warrant unless you're LE and need a clean chain of custody. But at testing-time is when it starts to matter, in any case.

xtal has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Sep 2, 2018

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

quite stretched out posted:

thats awful, poor bloke :( hopefully he made it home before the shock wore off, or someone insisted on giving him a lift

I got a similar call last year when my son unexpectedly passed away, and yeah, you just go into autopilot and do the normal things you always do for awhile until it really sinks in. I know movies and TV and so forth always show complete hysteria at such a time, but obviously reactions vary from person to person.

That’s why it’s kinda hosed up when there’s been a crime committed and people are all ‘XXX must have done it, look, they’re not even freaked out by the news, blah blah blah’. They very well might be innocent and in complete shock.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

JnnyThndrs posted:

I got a similar call last year when my son unexpectedly passed away, and yeah, you just go into autopilot and do the normal things you always do for awhile until it really sinks in. I know movies and TV and so forth always show complete hysteria at such a time, but obviously reactions vary from person to person.

That’s why it’s kinda hosed up when there’s been a crime committed and people are all ‘XXX must have done it, look, they’re not even freaked out by the news, blah blah blah’. They very well might be innocent and in complete shock.
Ugh yeah I've noticed that and I hate it. You can't tell how shaken up someone is just from their affect. People's natural reaction to grief is everything from hysterical to robotic to trying to seem as normal as possible.

My condolences over your loss.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

JnnyThndrs posted:

This is part of what got Cameron Todd Willingham convicted and executed.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

JnnyThndrs posted:

I reacted a lot like that when my mom passed away suddenly. I was also notified at work by my boss. He told me to go and call my sister right away. After I got the news I started to finish up my work when the boss was like, "We got this man, just get out of here". It took me a few days of shuffling around dumbfounded until the grieving and sadness took hold.

I reacted very differently when my dad passed. He was sick for a long time so I had prepared for it. When I got the news the emotional process went much quicker. Losing someone you love is never easy but when it's so sudden it just sucker punches your psyche. You just don't know how to deal with it, especially at first.

lighthugger
Mar 27, 2018

Nostalgia for Infinity

1stGear posted:

This is part of what got Cameron Todd Willingham convicted and executed.

gently caress. That’s like my third time reading that article, and each time I get so furious at the hubris and ego of those loving “fire investigators”.

It’s really hard to accept that people who really should know better are so full of their own bullshit that they believe they can “speak” to fires, that there’s no scientific method in arson investigation, and that it’s impossible for them to be wrong about an arson case.

To me, that is the perfect article to summarize the failings of humans to understand their place in the scheme of things. We like to think we’re miniature gods, infallible and omniscient, but if left unchecked, we ruin ourselves and the ones around us with the most gleeful of spite.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Update on the woman from the surveillance cam footage:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/mystery-woman-texas-ringing-doorbell-defends-alleged-assailant/story%3fid=57569892

She was being attacked, he had a prior history of sexual assault, and his suicide was at least partially due to the story blowing up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
In the end, the saddest part is a woman having to come out and explain how her rapist was a "really nice guy".

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This is a weird one.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Brawnfire posted:

This is a weird one.

Turn on your monitor

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Pick posted:

In the end, the saddest part is a woman having to come out and explain how her rapist was a "really nice guy".

Not emptyquoting, but not Pickquoting, but also emptyPickquoting.

Again, the details will probably come out over time, but her issue with "I abused substances" vs. "I probably escaped being murdered" is... a thing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lighthugger posted:

gently caress. That’s like my third time reading that article, and each time I get so furious at the hubris and ego of those loving “fire investigators”.

It’s really hard to accept that people who really should know better are so full of their own bullshit that they believe they can “speak” to fires, that there’s no scientific method in arson investigation, and that it’s impossible for them to be wrong about an arson case.

To me, that is the perfect article to summarize the failings of humans to understand their place in the scheme of things. We like to think we’re miniature gods, infallible and omniscient, but if left unchecked, we ruin ourselves and the ones around us with the most gleeful of spite.

Considering it's Texas if the counsel for the defense called them out for their bullshit they'd probably get lambasted by the judge

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Sad and unnerving story locally here in the Bay Area. A woman reported her two year old had been kidnapped and triggered a statewide Amber Alert looking for him and the supposed kidnapper "Antwan". Unfortunately he was found dead in a wooded area near to his home and it turns out his mother killed him and made the whole thing up. Apparently she didn't want to care for him and neither did his father, who had a history of abusing the mother. It's just a sad story all the way around.

ABC News posted:

The mother of a 2-year-old Largo boy, who was the center of a statewide Amber Alert, has been charged with murder in the death of her son. Officers arrested 21-year-old Charisse Stinson and charged her with First Degree Murder in the death of Jordan Belliveau. On Wednesday, a judge ordered her to be held without bond. Stinson will also be appointed a public defender. Jordan was found dead in the wooded area of Lake Avenue and McMullen Road in Largo on Tuesday afternoon.

According to an arrest affidavit written by Largo Police, Stinson admitted to causing the death of her son. The report alleges Stinson, "in a moment of frustration," struck Jordan in the face with the back of her hand "which in turn caused the back of his head to strike an interior wall of her home. After the blow to the head, the victim suffered seizures during the night, which lead to further decline [in his health], resulting in his death." The report goes on to state that Stinson did not seek medical help, but rather took her son to a wooded area and left him to die. Authorities say Jordan's body had injuries matching what Stinson told them happened.

According to police, initially Stinson told them that she was walking on East Bay Drive with Jordan around 9:30 p.m. Saturday when they were offered a ride in a white Toyota Camry by someone they did not know who told them his name was Antwan. She then told police that once inside the car, "Antwan" struck her in the face multiple times, causing her to lose consciousness. She claimed that she didn’t regain consciousness until around 1:30 a.m. Sunday, when she awoke in a wooded area at Largo Central Park to find Jordan missing.

During a news conference on Wednesday, investigators said they no longer believe there was an "Antwan," nor are they looking for a white Toyota Camry. In addition, they believe Stinson's injuries were self-inflicted. Her story prompted a statewide Amber Alert. Investigators even released a composite sketch of the alleged suspect, based on Stinson's description.

When asked why she took the ride from "Antwan," Stinson told police it was because Jordan was "kind of heavy" and she didn't want to have to carry him all the way to her destination. As the search for Jordan continued, ABC Action News learned authorities were at the Stinson's apartment on Sunday picking up evidence and trying to determine when was the last time Jordan was there.

Police later told ABC Action News they discovered bloody children’s items inside of the apartment. On Monday, they took those items into evidence but said they were not certain if they were connected to Jordan’s disappearance. Jordan’s mother told investigators her son cut his chin and recently received stitches for the injury. Detectives also took a few items of children’s clothing into evidence Tuesday which were found rolled up in a rug outside of Jordan’s mother’s apartment.

Stinson was arrested shortly after 8:30 p.m. Tuesday and charged with First Degree Murder in the death of Jordan. She is expected to make a first appearance in court Wednesday afternoon.
ABC Action News reached out to Jordan’s father, who was too distraught to speak with us. "I can't speak on how my brother feels because I never lost a child. I just know my brother is devoted right now," said Stephon Davis, the child's uncle. "I just want my nephew to be laid in peace and his mama and whoever involved in this, justice.” Digging into court documents, ABC Action News discovered that Stinson and Jordan's father had a history of domestic battery. A Largo arrest report from July stated that Jordan's father drove the boy to Stinson's home, to exchange custody of Jordan. According to the report, Stinson "did not want the child yet," which caused an argument that became physical when the father punched Stinson.

The Department of Children and Families could not release any information on the case, saying in part, “The loss of this child is profoundly saddening. We are actively working with the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office and the Largo Police Department during the course of their criminal investigation. Pinellas County Sheriff's Office conducts all child protective investigations in Pinellas County, not DCF.”

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...ing-son-s-death

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That poor kid.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
She had DCFS in speedial. They didn't want the kid and there was an organization RIGHT THERE that was jumping at the chance to take the kid back. How hosed in the head do you have to be to kill a kid instead of giving him back to the Foster family that desperately wanted to adopt him?

just kidding. she wanted him back because "that's MY baby" and she was damned if she'd let someone else take her "property".

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

https://jezebel.com/life-before-roe-the-story-of-a-back-alley-abortionist-1827863376

Come for the awful glimpse into trying to get an abortion before it was legal, stay for the gross, gross perspective of a dude who made it his business and wants to cut a book deal.

e: Also, have listened to a ton of podcasts now with horrible, horrible true crimes, but this is the first one that actually made me cry (in a sort of good way). Only about 15 minutes long. Thanks to whoever recommended They Walk Among Us.

https://www.podbean.com/site/EpisodeDownload/DIR3560DAARIBEQ

RNG has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Sep 6, 2018

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Stairs posted:

She had DCFS in speedial. They didn't want the kid and there was an organization RIGHT THERE that was jumping at the chance to take the kid back. How hosed in the head do you have to be to kill a kid instead of giving him back to the Foster family that desperately wanted to adopt him?

just kidding. she wanted him back because "that's MY baby" and she was damned if she'd let someone else take her "property".

It's easy to tell when someone doesn't read the article, and just wants to rant about breeders/females/poc/etc.

It's pretty clear that she hit the kid and hurt him more than she thought, so when he had seizures and was in even worse health she panicked. I'm definitely not saying she's mother of the year, but it isn't like she just went 'oh nevermind' and stabbed the kid. It's a messed up thing, but it wasn't exactly 'oh this is way easier than dialing a number!'

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah looks like she lashed out in a moment of anger and then panicked, tried to hide it. Not a premeditated oh I don’t want this kid anymore sort of thing.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Varkk posted:

Yeah looks like she lashed out in a moment of anger and then panicked, tried to hide it. Not a premeditated oh I don’t want this kid anymore sort of thing.

Yeah, they even said the evidence is consistent with this. The reason they are charging her with first degree murder instead of second is because they believe he was alive when she dumped him in the woods. 😓

Stairs is 100% correct though, there was a foster family who desperately wanted to adopt him and the mother refused, and yes she did have DFCS on speed-dial and they were very familiar with her.

Gynocentric Regime has a new favorite as of 11:29 on Sep 6, 2018

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Yeah, they even said the evidence is consistent with this. The reason they are charging her with first degree murder instead of second is because they believe he was alive when she dumped him in the woods. 😓

Christ.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Captain Monkey posted:

It's easy to tell when someone doesn't read the article, and just wants to rant about breeders/females/poc/etc.

Hi. I'm a mother of 5 and also female. I'm not ranting about "breeders/females/poc" but nice projecting anyway.
I'm ranting over people who hit their kids hard enough to kill them and why the hell they wanted them back in the first place if they were just going to hit them hard enough to kill them. That's not an unreasonable stance. Most people wouldn't take it that far, and if she was prone to that, she should have put her kid above her perceived wants and had him removed before she... You know... Killed him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think that hitting your child hard enough to give him seizures, then abandoning him in the woods to die, and then fabricating an abduction story so you don't get in trouble is wrong.

I'd go so far as to say that's "bad parenting."

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Stairs posted:

Hi. I'm a mother of 5 and also female. I'm not ranting about "breeders/females"

Captain Monkey posted:

breeders/females/poc/etc.

hmmm bet we can figure out which one you are ranting about then, buddy.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think that hitting your child hard enough to give him seizures, then abandoning him in the woods to die, and then fabricating an abduction story so you don't get in trouble is wrong.

I'd go so far as to say that's "bad parenting."

I don't disagree with you at all, I'm not defending the mother. I'm rolling my eyes at the way that stairs tried to twist the conversation into 'well she didn't want him anymore so she hit the off switch!!'

The situation is hosed up, none of what the mother did is right, but it's not as cut and dry as stairs wanted to pretend. A moment of anger followed by panic that leads to bad decision making is incredibly different than the level of sociopathy that stairs tried to paint onto her.

A thing is allowed to be bad, and a mother is allowed to be a 'bad parent' without inventing a mustache-twirling scenario where they're gleefully murdering their kid to deny them to an adoptive family because 'mah kids!' Don't misconstrue my rolling my eyes at stairs as me condoning the behavior of the mother, that's lazy and reductive.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

hmmm bet we can figure out which one you are ranting about then, buddy.

Oh, for fucks sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Stairs posted:

Hi. I'm a mother of 5

so, Catholic then?