Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Cyclops + Banefire should be enough to end most games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AlternateNu posted:

To clarify, while one the stack, split cards are the CMC of the side cast (or the sum of both if fused). While anywhere else, the CMC is the sum of both halves. This was changed a year or two ago wherein the old rule was that the card was considered to have BOTH CMCs anywhere else than the stack.

Which means you can’t cast Bust off of Boom // Bust for free anymore all that often.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

Not sarcastic, wasn't paying attention at the times: have any of the Nivs seen play?

Both previous Nivs were 6 mana paragraphs that boiled down to "dies to Doom Blade for no value." This one, however, reads "dies to Murder for a card", which in my mind is enough to bump it from unplayable to unlikely.

It's really bad against planeswalkers, though.

Marketing New Brain posted:

It’s borderline but with the right support I could see it. I’d feel a lot better about it if it was actually witness and could get back a cast down.

Yeah if it could actually get back spells it would be super good, but even without it's a good grindy card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I still think Ixalan Vraska is a good value at like 7 dollars (1/3 the preorder price of Golgari Queen). It's 6 mana but it also very rapidly wins the game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Angry Grimace posted:

Assassin’s Trophy is being debated as the best removal spell ever printed

And for every crazy spell we get, there's like twenty downgrades of others.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

I still think Ixalan Vraska is a good value at like 7 dollars (1/3 the preorder price of Golgari Queen). It's 6 mana but it also very rapidly wins the game.

It’s much better than new Vraska even accounting for casting cost. New Vraska not hitting the new oring is a big deal.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Marketing New Brain posted:

It’s much better than new Vraska even accounting for casting cost. New Vraska not hitting the new oring is a big deal.

Pirate Vraska will always be best Vraska. :colbert:

Angry Grimace posted:

Which means you can’t cast Bust off of Boom // Bust for free anymore all that often.

And Counterbalance doesn't get double coverage from poo poo like Wear//Tear anymore.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Star Man posted:

And for every crazy spell we get, there's like twenty downgrades of others.

Welcome to ever set of magic ever printed dude

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Its a lifelink away from being a better vamp nighthawk.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AlternateNu posted:

Time Spiral, Force of Will, Misdirection, Commandeer, Foil. :v:

Blazing Shoal pitching a Greater Gargadon or Progenitus is 22 damage :getin:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Pirate Vraska reads as a walker who could easily be super good post-rotation yeah. I don't play Standard but I suspect the reason she didn't see much play before is because she lined up badly against the premium threats, and basically all those efficient and resilient threats are rotating except for Rekindling Phoenix.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

Pirate Vraska reads as a walker who could easily be super good post-rotation yeah. I don't play Standard but I suspect the reason she didn't see much play before is because she lined up badly against the premium threats, and basically all those efficient and resilient threats are rotating except for Rekindling Phoenix.

Her problem is that she costs 6 mana and Teferi is completely dumb if you want to play Planeswalkers.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Elyv posted:

She didn’t see play because she’s six mana. To see play for six mana, you need to do a lot more then make a single dork or blow half your starting loyalty as an overcosted removal spell. Especially in a format with Glorybringer and Heart of Kieran.

She needs to threaten to take over the board by herself and she’s not going to do that because Wizards remembers Sun’s Champion and it’s two year reign of terror.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

She didn’t see play because she’s six mana. To see play for six mana, you need to do a lot more then make a single dork or blow half your starting loyalty as an overcosted removal spell. Especially in a format with Glorybringer and Heart of Kieran.

She needs to threaten to take over the board by herself and she’s not going to do that because Wizards remembers Sun’s Champion and it’s two year reign of terror.

She was fine. Nobody has horrible memories of Elspeth.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/9fb6zs/gp_hong_kong_sep_14_to_16_storm_watch/

The last time I went to GP Hong Kong I got hit with a Typhoon. And now its going to happen again.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mr. Locke posted:

Thats a funny way to spell "Gideon, Ally of Zendikar"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I guess they finally figured out how to not make the Selesnya Guildmage a top 5 uncommon in its limited format

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

These new guildmages really suck

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
They seem excellent for limited.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Elyv posted:

I guess they finally figured out how to not make the Selesnya Guildmage a top 5 uncommon in its limited format

Remember when this made 3/3s instead of 2/2s and also didn’t tap, and the other ability wasn’t useless. Yeah me too.

Starting to get a real Dragons Maze vibe.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I rather like another source of trample on everything in the presumed go wide strat for Selesnya (and maybe some friends), the second ability is really overcosted though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Trample on your go-wide swarm of 1/1s and 2/2s probably isn't especially relevant, tbh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tainen posted:

:rip: Lightning Helix

Would red get that effect just regularly? I feel like every red one drop combat trick just pumps power and not toughness

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Framboise posted:

They seem excellent for limited.

Maybe we are seeing a new business model for Wizards. Instead of Standard they would like to see Limited as the preferred format. So booster pack sales will be increased of singles. We're already seeing them want to cut out the LGS with the Mythic box. That is only purchasable from Hasbro directly.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Set seems fine so far

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

Would red get that effect just regularly? I feel like every red one drop combat trick just pumps power and not toughness

Unless I screwed up my search, this is the first time red has gotten a trick that pumps toughness, that doesn't specifically target an attacker, since the goofball colour-pie switching set (Planar Chaos).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lone Goat posted:

Unless I screwed up my search, this is the first time red has gotten a trick that pumps toughness, that doesn't specifically target an attacker, since the goofball colour-pie switching set (Planar Chaos).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Woops I meant toughness more than 1 (i included that in the search function but forgot to type it in the post)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Huh, I guess it's a natural evolution of these. Still seems weird but it's not egregious

Lone Goat posted:

Woops I meant toughness more than 1 (i included that in the search function but forgot to type it in the post)

I bet it's the more then 1 toughness pump that's throwing me off

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
There were a couple of blood rush creatures that did it but yeah it's pretty rare

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

whether it's a color bend or not, personally i think small symmetric pump spells are fine for red to occasionally have

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Is this okay? Probably won't replace Vraska's contemporary and this is automatically sealed playable, but does a 4cmc removal need to hit planeswalkers?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

but does a 4cmc removal need to hit planeswalkers?

for standard, unless it does something insane, you bet

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If your gameplan is to play it for 2, it's pretty good. Look at it as the inverse of Cast Down, but it costs extra instead of being totally unplayable on creatures that don't meet the condition.

That said I doubt the meta's going to end up in the right place for it.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Lone Goat posted:

Quick tip, instead of c:r and -c:m, you can use c!r which only returns exact matches (monored instead of everything that includes red).

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Tainen posted:

Cool card, I’m not sure it’s good though.

Become immense. 13/14? Don't mind if I do.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Here's your commander staple for the set.

"Your commander can suck my balls from your command zone while I fix my top deck."

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Here's your commander staple for the set.

"Your commander can suck my balls from your command zone while I fix my top deck."

"Stop wiping your balls on my playmat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Truefire Captain, RRWW

Creature - Human/Knight (Uncommon)

Mentor.

Whenever ~ is dealt damage, it deals equal damage to target player.

4/3

Not quite Reckoner's effect, but a lot going for it and a bit hard for opponents to stop you getting value from it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!