Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

operation get a bell jar post into hansard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Knorth posted:

https://twitter.com/ginarush/status/1039659010197057536

This government should be burned to the ground and salted
Agreed.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

That reply has parliamentary privilege so you could say all kinds of wild things.

My new goal in life is to be the first person to get the navy seal copypasta published in parliamentary record.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Chadzok posted:

I would blow Roman Quaedvlieg

it is a mouthful.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Chadzok posted:

I would blow Roman Quaedvlieg

Away maybe. He's at least as evil as Dutton and Morrison he's just angry he got fired. I hope he takes down Dutton then kills himself painfully and publicly.

E
I want the Silent Hill bad ending where the two pyramid heads kill each other but it's Morrison and Dutton. Quadvelig is the player character that stays and dies with his dead daughter who would be the Australian news media I suppose

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 13, 2018

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

That reply has parliamentary privilege so you could say all kinds of wild things.

I’ve never been libelled but I have a feeling being allowed to say “well you’re a dickhead mate” would feel a bit less satisfying than monetary compensation (eg see the Alan Jones case)

Like, question time is already a pissing match between children. I have a feeling that calling Dutton a big time meanie who sucks won’t have a significant effect on him.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

I want the Silent Hill bad ending where the two pyramid heads kill each other but it's Morrison and Dutton. Quadvelig is the player character that stays and dies with his dead daughter who would be the Australian news media I suppose

Are you aware there is an ending where the player character commits suicide?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Give me the dog ending.

no chris kenny get away

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BBJoey posted:

I’ve never been libelled but I have a feeling being allowed to say “well you’re a dickhead mate” would feel a bit less satisfying than monetary compensation (eg see the Alan Jones case)

Like, question time is already a pissing match between children. I have a feeling that calling Dutton a big time meanie who sucks won’t have a significant effect on him.

Yeah but just imagine the things that Quaedvlieg knows.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Give me the dog ending.

no chris kenny get away

Dog ending is canon

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Yeah but just imagine the things that Quaedvlieg knows.

The things he knows that might come close to harming Dutton would be self-incriminating as well. This is the former head of border force. Anything bad that Dutton’s done, he’s complicit in.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What are the chances of the government actually being able to achieve these proposed anti religious discrimination changes before the next election?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

The Lord Bude posted:

What are the chances of the government actually being able to achieve these proposed anti religious discrimination changes anything before the next election?

Pretty slim

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i wouldn't worry about them

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It's a way to curry votes from religious people that are worried their freedoms to be complete loving assholes are being eroded, but are also scared of people saying mean things about them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I like that all the monstrous assholes are fighting each other publicly instead of uniting to gently caress poors.

Yes, tear each other apart with the horrible things you've done together.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Coming soon to a death trap near you

quote:

Owners of NSW apartments with combustible cladding may need second mortgage for repairs

Apartment owners in the 435 NSW buildings identified to have been built with potentially high-risk combustible cladding may have to take out new mortgages to raise the money to make them safe.

The longer they delay action, the higher the risk of a devastating fire with loss of life and a potentially ruinous damages bill, and the more likely their insurance could be cancelled.

“There’s no comfort for anyone in this situation,” warns Stephen Goddard, the chair of the peak apartment-owners body Owners Corporation Network.

“The government hasn’t breached any of its duties because no one knew at the time that this material was akin to putting a petrol raincoat over a building, and so it isn’t the responsibility of taxpayers to make good these properties.

“But it is the duty of the apartment owners to make these buildings safe and, if they can’t afford any other way of doing it, then they’d better take out a new mortgage to get this work done. They’ve got to get it fixed because failure to do so could not only result in loss of money but, more importantly, life.”

Many of the owners of the blocks identified by Fire and Rescue NSW in a massive survey conducted by the government as having the most dangerous type of inflammable cladding have been in a state of denial about the issue, believes Paul Morton, CEO of Lannock Strata Finance. Now they are getting angry.
“But really, they should be panicking,” he says. “There’s been a real lack of urgency up until now around this issue. People are saying, ‘Why should I pay? Why isn’t the government helping me?’ But, unfortunately, they have to pay themselves. It’s a horrible reality of strata life.

“It’s only as deadlines from insurance companies, fire orders and government rectification orders are starting to kick in that people are now starting to face up to their responsibilities. And I don’t know how many manage to sleep at night.”

The issue of the highly combustible cladding used to coat many high-rise buildings was highlighted in June 2017 when a fire tore up London’s 24-storey Grenfell tower, leading to 72 deaths. In November 2014, a fire raced up 13 levels of the Lacrosse building, which had similar cladding, in Melbourne’s Docklands in just 10 minutes, forcing the evacuation of more than 500 people.

While Victoria has announced it will offer low-interest, long-term loans that can be used to replace their combustible polyethylene-core aluminium cladding, the NSW government is not planning a similarly.

Its cladding taskforce has reviewed 185,000 buildings, inspected more than 2300 and identified 435 as potentially high risk, writing to the owners and building managers to tell them they need further checks and inspections to determine whether their cladding needs to be replaced.

It is refusing to make public the names and addresses of these buildings, although owners in one 19-storey Pyrmont tower say they face a $7 million bill.

Minister for Innovation and Better Regulation Matt Kean says: “Fire and Rescue NSW has individually tailored pre-incident response plans for the 435 buildings identified as possibly high risk, should an emergency occur.

“We’ve banned dangerous flammable cladding from being used in NSW. We’re doing everything we can to protect families in NSW – more than any other state in Australia. Because of our efforts, I’m confident we can avoid a tragedy similar to what we saw in Grenfell. We will continue doing everything possible to keep NSW residents safe.”

Kean has gone on record as saying he believes developers should pay for the removal and replacement of the cladding and has declared it a “major defect”, meaning owners of buildings less than six years old at least have a chance of pursuing developers through the courts.

Opposition shadow minister for innovation and better regulation Yasmin Catley says buildings should be named so neighbours can protect themselves.

“I think the community needs to know,” she says. “If you live next door, you need to know if a building might go up in flames. And have you seen any rectification work done yet? I believe there needs to be a full parliamentary investigation into the whole issue, a full chain of responsibility set and discussion about who’s going to pay.”

The Property Council of Australia says affected owners need more help.

“At this stage, we would be asking the government to closely monitor the potential impact of the ban’s retrospective aspect, clearly communicating the steps owners and industry need to undertake, as well as ensuring they react to any ramifications that may arise,” a spokesperson says.

“Ideally, in situations where it would be unjust or inequitable for owners of affected buildings, the government should consider funding the rectification works that are required.”

https://www.domain.com.au/news/owne...t=pos5&ref=pos1

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Money is important. Oh, and people. Let's talk about money. How about that money then?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
If your car has a faulty airbag that explodes and kills you, car manufacturers have to recall and repair it.

If your apartment has faulty cladding that catches fire and kills you, suck a dick dumbshit.

How the gently caress are the cladding manufacturers/developers not responsible for rectifying this?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hooman posted:

If your car has a faulty airbag that explodes and kills you, car manufacturers have to recall and repair it.

If your apartment has faulty cladding that catches fire and kills you, suck a dick dumbshit.

How the gently caress are the cladding manufacturers/developers not responsible for rectifying this?
because gently caress you I guess

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hooman posted:

because didn't they go bust? the cladding manufacturer / importer / whatever

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

oh the melbourne one did anyway

quote:

Residents in apartments bound in combustible cladding fear they will have no option but to pay millions of dollars to make their homes safe again, after construction company Hickory placed its subsidiary, H Buildings, into voluntary administration.

H Buildings was facing up to 13 claims for rectification works in the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, four of which are cladding related, when it was placed into voluntary administration in August, administrators confirmed.

One of those claimants is a Brunswick apartment complex, Anstey Square, which was revealed to be wrapped in non-compliant combustible cladding after a faulty air conditioning unit sparked a fire that spread from one balcony to the one above in 2017.

Creditor documents show residents are seeking $3.8 million from H Buildings for rectification works, which include costs to replace the combustible cladding, but residents have been told legal avenues for compensation are now virtually gone…

Residents in the apartment complex were already dealing with skyrocketing insurance costs after the cladding was identified as non-compliant…

“We’re on the property ladder and all of a sudden the rung that we’re on has been broken,” [resident Andy White] said.

“It was by no fault of our own that that rung of the ladder has broken.

“Owners are left saying, ‘Great, I’ve got no money, I’ve got no life, and I can’t sell'”…

So far, around 100 apartments have been ordered to remove the potentially dangerous material.

The Victorian Building Authority has identified about 45 high-risk apartments.

H Buildings is the first major builder to go into administration since the audit.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
John Howard has weighed in to the Wentworth preselection battle and urged Australia's former ambassador to Israel Dave Sharma to stay in the race, putting him at odds with the Prime Minister.

The former prime minister and party elder told Mr Sharma that he should not withdraw from the Liberal preselection battle on Thursday night, despite Scott Morrison insisting that a woman contest the seat of Wentworth.

I love this chalice.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

the 'h' stands for bottom of the harbour

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

hambeet posted:

oh the melbourne one did anyway

So the parent company doesn't have to pick up liability from it's subsidiary?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Counting down the picoseconds until a new different subsidiary is created.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

uhhh... so somebody has put a bunch of sewing needles inside strawberries, all traced back to a farm in QLD.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-13/strawberry-recall-needle-found-in-fruit/10240956

Chop em up first for awhile I guess.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

There's no one on the entire forums that eats fruit, think we'll be right.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Don Dongington posted:

FYI, Morrison has no desire to purge the duttonistas, and I doubt that most of them are going to agitate that much against Morrison.

I don’t care about the Duttonista’s so much, but Dutton is a loving cancer that achieved sentience and has no business being in a role where he has any power to affect people’s lives. Especially not highly vulnerable people.

I hope the rest of his political career is as short and failure-filled as his hamfisted grab for the job of PM was.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
what bullying?

https://twitter.com/jekearsley/status/1040097300998107136

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like that the liberals are trying to pivot harder into religious voters and it's wrecking them. Whatever the most unpopular thing is, they want in. Great to watch.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Another element to the bullying is Newscorpse going hard with "Bullying? Oh you're being bullied? You call that bullying huh? Huh? I don't think you're being bullied at all. I think it's best you stop talking about bullying."

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

STRONG GOVERNMENT

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I don’t know about the NSW model but I assume it’s relatively similar to Victoria’s due to emerging from the same agreed privatised model in the early 90s

The idea that government isn’t responsible is laughable. It set up a privatised system and completely irresponsibly underfunded the regulatory roles within it. In Victoria, for every $750 worth of construction works you pay $1 of building levy. And that money doesn’t even go to funding councils that do actual on the ground inspections in their municipalities, it goes to the state body that does gently caress all.

Councils issue permits for maybe 10% of buildings nowadays, yet have enforcement responsibility over their whole district. The system is completely hosed on a structural level and the state is absofuckinglutely to blame for it

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

AbortRetryFail posted:

There's no one on the entire forums that eats fruit, think we'll be right.

SMG smashes strawberries, thank you :colbert: Luckily here in SA we don't stock those horrible Queensland infected fruits

Ha ha, only one of multiple got offered a plum position elsewhere. The others must be pissed off at that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Great now everyone will be wanting one.

"Wait a second, everybody here, I'm the ScoMo Oprah, you get a trip to New York, you get a trip to New York"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Councils issue permits for maybe 10% of buildings nowadays, yet have enforcement responsibility over their whole district. The system is completely hosed on a structural level and the state is absofuckinglutely to blame for it

But NSW is the most protect-y state and the Property Council of Australia are sad! :smith:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Bill Shorten asks why its okay for Nationals MPs to have a quota in the government but not women.

Speaker kicks Albo out for trying to get PM to answer the question. He instead talks about drought relief.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ewe2 posted:

But NSW is the most protect-y state and the Property Council of Australia are sad! :smith:
lol they changed the warranty period for defects in buildings from 7 years to 2 years recently.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Few days ago but I didn't see it posted. Greens councillors vote to gently caress the disabled and those with prams, preferencing cyclists in Moreland Council. They blocked the upgrade of three tram stops because they didn't include space for a dedicated cycling lane, so those stops won't be accessible to people with mobility issues. PTV is appealing to VCAT.

• Locked thread