Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Might & Magic 2 was not much better. Sure you could run into easy encounters in a couple spots in the first town fighting beggars or rats but if you stumble on secret doors or walk off the path outside, you're in for a beating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7enu1VNXnZc

My latest (as in, I just set it half an hour ago) Max Payne 3 world record. This video is horrendous and I spend the last part of it lamenting that it's not going to be a record because of how bad the run turns, but it just goes to show that you should never ever give up. Ever.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 11, 2018

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Are there any doom 2016 runs in the "kill all the demons" category? I want to watch someone best the game real quick without clipping into nothingness for most of the game.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

ilmucche posted:

Are there any doom 2016 runs in the "kill all the demons" category? I want to watch someone best the game real quick without clipping into nothingness for most of the game.

Have you considered watching yourself do it?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
There are some "glitchless" runs floating around on YouTube but it's not a thing centralised on the leaderboard for reasons I don't know about since I don't run that game.

That's as close as one gets.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

There are some "glitchless" runs floating around on YouTube but it's not a thing centralised on the leaderboard for reasons I don't know about since I don't run that game.

i once tried checking the SRC forum for why they don't run Doom no-OoB. from what i could gather it used to exist, but was taken down from the boards because........? people just saw it as a meme category? or something? i honestly couldn't tell, or the answer was so stupid i blocked it from my memory

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Sometimes glitchless runs of good and fun games are actually a slog and not fun at all.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Kaubocks posted:

i once tried checking the SRC forum for why they don't run Doom no-OoB. from what i could gather it used to exist, but was taken down from the boards because........? people just saw it as a meme category? or something? i honestly couldn't tell, or the answer was so stupid i blocked it from my memory

I don't have any more insight than you honestly since I saw the same thread.

They just don't like it so no, apparently.

like I'm a be real I think the Doom run is kind of weak either way but still

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

At that point, why not find a good LP instead?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

dantheman650 posted:

At that point, why not find a good LP instead?

Wow hot take dude, drat

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
People have been doing doom 100% and any%, and fast, and nightmare, and and and...speedruns for like 20 years, calling it a meme category is just the dumbest poo poo

Its too bad doomedsda hasnt gone and just set up a thing for it to link vids in addition to the demo files for og wads

site fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 13, 2018

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

site posted:

People have been doing doom 100% and any%, and fast, and nightmare, and and and...speedruns for like 20 years, calling it a meme category is just the dumbest poo poo

Its too bad doomedsda hasnt gone and just set up a thing for it to link vids in addition to the demo files for og wads

people are talking about the recent doom reboot and not the original

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i know, and im saying that calling "playing a doom game straight, but fast" a meme category is dumb because people have been running that sort of thing for a long rear end time

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rubellavator posted:

Sometimes glitchless runs of good and fun games are actually a slog and not fun at all.

It's not up to the moderators for the game's speedrun web spot to decide that. Their opinion of whether a category is worthwhile or not does not matter. If the category is run, and people watch them, it should be on the list.

edit: Run by a significant enough number of people, at least. Really niche stuff is better off excluded because of the lack of content/competition.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 13, 2018

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol at gatekeeping in a niche hobby

never change internet moderators with a small degree of power

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the thing i arbitrarily like is better than the thing you arbitrarily like

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

eonwe posted:

lol at gatekeeping in a niche hobby

never change internet moderators with a small degree of power

You joke but when I started running Startropics I was expecting a more competitive environment with people guarding secrets and having bitter rivalries and poo poo.

Instead I got the world record holder watching my stream and giving me tips for like five hours the first night I streamed it, and everybody congratulating me on minor milestones as though it was a huge deal.

Speedrunners are nice is what I'm trying to say.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speedrunners are nice. Speedrun moderators are morons.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Speedrunners are nice. Speedrun moderators are morons.

The world record guy was a mod. :(

Maybe Startropics is cool because it's a small enough community, I dunno.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I've been watching Startropics speedruns for a long time and yeah the community is just chill as gently caress. Foulco came out of nowhere finding new strats to bop zodastone who was more than a minute ahead of 2nd place at the time and seemingly untouchable.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Most speedrun.com moderators are good nice people and it's not like the doom guys are actually powertripping jerks. They just obey the convetional wisdom on what makes a speedrun.com leaderboard. "It's a meme category" could also mean "nobody has actually run this in earnest yet"

In general, people want you to be good at the game and teach you everything they've learned. It's not about winning. It's about discovering the best speedrun. It's hidden inside the game and we all have to work together to get it out. Plus, people dedicate a ton of time to studying the game and they get excited when they have someone who is intered in learning.

Even if they're hyper competitive and are all about havimg the WR, the record means more the more people who are competing at their level.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Dr. Stab posted:

"It's a meme category" could also mean "nobody has actually run this in earnest yet"

Yeah, that's what I thought too, young people and their slang terms. Remember there's ridiculously stupid categories in Mirror's Edge speedrunning community that somewhat taken seriously (Reverse Boss Order)!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The thread where mods closed the category had people asking them to keep it open so they could run it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Conversely, the guy in charge of approving runs for Max Payne 3 has not played Max Payne 3, the video game he is a moderator of

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol wtf how did he get modship without even being a runner

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kaubocks posted:

The only people who were bothering to do it were people who also ran 100% secrets or something.

site posted:

yeah i know, and im saying that calling "playing a doom game straight, but fast" a meme category is dumb because people have been running that sort of thing for a long rear end time

Because it's extremely difficult to manage to clip out of bounds in Doom, and many of the levels where it can be done by a skilled player it's not faster to use than it is to go the normal way, due to the level geometry.

On the levels where it's possible UV-speed attempts now in most of the speedrun rules and poo poo to use the void glitch - like E2M6 where using it can basically save 10 seconds.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

site posted:

Lol wtf how did he get modship without even being a runner

I don't know. Max Payne 3 is not a very active community (it's only me and a couple other folks who run the game) so presumably he just wanted to be the mod of something and Max Payne 3 is a nothing game so he got it by default.

My runs aren't gonna be posted on speedrun.com anymore because I'm not going to play by his dumb rules that the other guys don't seem to mind. You can cut 20 minutes from your video length by using scripthook to skip the game's many unskippable cutscenes, which has no ill effects, and is perfectly fine to do on categories that are timed with ingame time because it doesn't count up during them. There is no reason to disallow this, because if scripthook was actually modifying any game files (which it does not, as I explained to him, and he ignored me) in ways that gave players an advantage you'd obviously be able to tell.

However, he has petitioned to wipe the leaderboards because he wants people to use a file produced from his really old unpatched (possibly pirated) version of the game where a certain cutscene is bugged and cuts out early, saving a whole minute in runs that are timed in realtime. So he says no to modifying the game files in a way that cuts a two hour speedrun down to a little over an hour and a half and does not affect your final time, but says that you should be required to modify your game files in a way that saves one minute and does affect your final time. He's an idiot.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 13, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

fishmech posted:

On the levels where it's possible UV-speed attempts now in most of the speedrun rules and poo poo to use the void glitch - like E2M6 where using it can basically save 10 seconds.

Ah, ill have to check that out i really only watch uv-max

CJacobs posted:

I don't know. Max Payne 3 is not a very active community (it's only me and a couple other folks who run the game) so presumably he just wanted to be the mod of something and Max Payne 3 is a nothing game so he got it by default.

My runs aren't gonna be posted on speedrun.com anymore because I'm not going to play by his dumb rules that the other guys don't seem to mind. You can cut 20 minutes from your video length by using scripthook to skip the game's many unskippable cutscenes, which has no ill effects, and is perfectly fine to do on categories that are timed with ingame time because it doesn't count up during them. There is no reason to disallow this, because if scripthook was actually modifying any game files (which it does not, as I explained to him, and he ignored me) in ways that gave players an advantage you'd obviously be able to tell.

However, he has petitioned to wipe the leaderboards because he wants people to use a file produced from his really old unpatched (possibly pirated) version of the game where a certain cutscene is bugged and cuts out early, saving a whole minute in runs that are timed in realtime. So he says no to modifying the game files in a way that cuts a two hour speedrun down to a little over an hour and a half and does not affect your final time, but says that you should be required to modify your game files in a way that saves one minute and does affect your final time. He's an idiot.

This is just fuckin absurd

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Btw, he requires all full game runs to start from hitting enter on 'new game', meaning you have to watch a four-minute intro cutscene every time you start a new run. You could avoid this by just starting from the second checkpoint of chapter 1 in the chapter select, which puts you right at the start of the gameplay, but he maintains that it has to be the entire game start to finish. What makes this especially stupid however is this forum post in which he states that doing exactly that is required for individual level runs.

edit: This long 4-minute cutscene is the one that his published file skips. i.e., there is already a way to skip it.

So yeah, eonwe is right, giving these people even a tiny ounce of power makes them go completely wall-eyed

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 13, 2018

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I’d make a new game on srcom

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Or the official channels for this process
https://www.speedrun.com/The_Site/thread/63nr7

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Unskippable cutscenes are the cardinal sin of video games in general and I can't imagine trying to run a game with a lot of them. I couldn't even get through Max Payne 3 casually because of them. I wanted to replay levels to get weapon pieces and collectible poo poo but just could not sit through all of the cutscenes again and it bothered me a lot.

And to Boogalo yeah, the Startropics community is pretty great. Foulco is the guy who showed me a shitload of strategies for the game, and he's the first person to actually sit through optimizing the TAS of the game, but as far as I can tell he hasn't submitted TAS runs, he just uses the tools to optimize strategies for his runs. He actually just snagged the world record for Startropics 2 as well, because he worked out good ways of doing some of the void walk strategies that were not very RTA-viable beforehand but save a lot of time when put together. I think he just got it two days ago actually. I haven't watched the run yet but it's pretty cool.

Dude is super nice. If anybody wants to run Startropics he's pretty willing to share everything he knows. He also plays on keyboard which is turbo-hosed.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Hobojim posted:

Dude is super nice. If anybody wants to run Startropics he's pretty willing to share everything he knows. He also plays on keyboard which is turbo-hosed.

I've never understood this with regards to games with digital Boolean input. 4 individual buttons is better for accuracy than 1 mushy piece of poo poo that you have to hope is hitting the switches you want.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I guess the disconnect is that the NES and SNES d-pads are pretty good and possible to use precisely, rather than mushy pieces of poo poo.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I have never found a dpad that's better than a keyboard. Turning is faster, and it's just easier to use mutiple fingers on mutiple buttons than it is to have one finger slide around between them.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

I have never found a dpad that's better than a keyboard. Turning is faster, and it's just easier to use mutiple fingers on mutiple buttons than it is to have one finger slide around between them.

Gonna guess you never touched a Nintendo controller and only used rip-off dpads from other manufacturers.

Remember, Nintendo had a patent on the only good dpad design for years so competitors who wanted something like it had to make a crappy copy using a bad design.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Dr. Stab posted:

Right

Show me someone who can go from holding right to holding left with 0 frames of neutral in between on a dpad.

I put aftermarket rubbers into my snes controllers that are a lot stiffer so it's easier to tell the exact activation point but it's still nothing compared to having 3 fingers on 4 keys.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

SeXReX posted:

Right

Show me someone who can go from holding right to holding left with 0 frames of neutral in between on a dpad.

ShinerCCC, since as far as I know he plays Faxanadu on console

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

SeXReX posted:

I put aftermarket rubbers into my snes controllers that are a lot stiffer so it's easier to tell the exact activation point but

reported

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
do we have any more tips on having sex with your SNES