Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

Holy poo poo, that forced laughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

twitch is just reality tv for people who make fun of reality tv

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

All the playstation controllers just confuse me with those tiny buttons and shapes instead of letters, which you only remember if you owned a PS as a kid.

I hate the 360 controller but i care about D-pads a lot.

actually, having switched from 360 to ds4, not having letters on the buttons is perfect because there's no conflicts/overlap, much unlike how microsoft hosed up all the buttons and colors for everyone who grew up with nintendo. it means you can use a dualshock gamepad without going insane if it's not your historical gamepad of choice, because if the screen says to press A there's not a wrong A button and it's 100% clear whether you're getting DS prompts or not from game to game

easy

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 11, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

signalnoise posted:

The shapes actually have a logic to them, not that it matters a ton, but circle is 1, cross is 2, triangle is 3, and square is 4, going by the number of lines it takes to make the shape. That order is the same as Nintendo's. Unfortunately just about every company that uses them for QTEs is dumb as gently caress about it just showing the button itself. The only company I know of that has done it intelligently is Platinum. When they show a button for a QTE they show you the position of the face button in the prompt itself.

poverty goat posted:

actually, having switched from 360 to ds4, not having letters on the buttons is perfect because there's no conflicts/overlap, much unlike how microsoft hosed up all the buttons and colors for everyone who grew up with nintendo. it means you can use a dualshock gamepad without going insane if it's not your historical gamepad of choice, because if the screen says to press A there's not a wrong A button and it's 100% clear whether you're getting DS prompts or not from game to game

easy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have no problem with button prompts from Sony. Those shapes are burned into my brain forever but switching between an Xbox controller and Nintendo is a nightmare. I can only blame MS for not only being uncreative with their buttons, but just jumbling up Nintendos button config.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

lol what? Nintendo pretty much invented the modern controller. Analog stick, trigger button, rumble vibration from the n64, and the gamecube controller had analog buttons and wireless (sold separately but still)

You say this like the dualshock wasn't literally the template for every modern controller, or the original PSX controller didn't have triggers, or analog buttons are a defining feature of modern controllers, or Sony didn't release rumble at the same time in Japan...

No, Nintendo didn't invent the modern controller with their wacky rear end N64 and gamecube controllers that were only any good situationally.

E: I realized you are probably referring to the SNES for the trigger not N64

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 13, 2018

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

IDONTPOST posted:

If we’re still on controller chat, dualshocks are easily the worst of all time but everything before the first Xbox 360 controller except the GameCube controller are terrible.

Keyboard and mouse are an extremely unfun way to play games unless you’re playing competitive multiplayer fpses which are also poo poo

The gamecube controller was terrible too though.

I've genuinely never understood why people seem to say this, besides Smash breaking people's brains? :shrug:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the gamecube controller was the best of that generation and the haters can gently caress right off

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

basic hitler posted:

the gamecube controller was the best of that generation and the haters can gently caress right off

i will not gently caress right off actually the gamecube controller should gently caress off

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Anybody who thinks the N64 or GameCube controller in particular were worth a poo poo is drinking kool-aid. At least people have mostly stopped trying to pretend the Wii controls were good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vegetable posted:

This is weird because when I was scouting controllers to buy for PC use, most of the cross-platform reviews settled on the Nintendo Pro controller as the best one. I haven’t tested it myself but it gets really good reviews.

I think good battery life and a d pad mostly contribute to that.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The autism levels in here are off the charts!!!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

They'll go down to background levels if you leave

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The symbols on the DualShock don't bother me personally because I play with Xbox prompts and don't need to look at the controller for those, and the dpad is simply the best of all the modern controllers.
Having a good dpad is very important for those few kinds of games where I prefer to use a controller and that sorry thing x360 controllers have is a nightmare.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
My favourite controller is X

Here's why: *white noise*

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
Original Xbox controller was the best.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Got something against black noise, dude???

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Graphic posted:

Original Xbox controller was the best.

The Duke? Agreed.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Sometimes when my PlayStation game prompts me to push "X" I accidently hit "∆" because the SNES controller is still the first controller my brain references.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
It takes me like 20 hours to relearn the A and B button placement reversal every time I play a Switch game lol.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
We can argue about controllers until the cows come home, but the undisputed king of memory card was the dreamcast.

So as to be a controversial opinion, I think that was the best gimmick on any console and that they should all do that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

!Klams posted:

We can argue about controllers until the cows come home, but the undisputed king of memory card was the dreamcast.

So as to be a controversial opinion, I think that was the best gimmick on any console and that they should all do that.

It just felt like junk of the period between 1996 and 2000. Tamagotchi, Pocketstation, Giga Pet, Pixel Chix, VMU....all based on the same premise and all extremely bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It just felt like junk of the period between 1996 and 2000. Tamagotchi, Pocketstation, Giga Pet, Pixel Chix, VMU....all based on the same premise and all extremely bad.

I think those gimmicks would have lasted longer if they played more to user-friendliness and cross-compatibility.

Hell, revive Digimon as a mobile app nowadays with cute graphics and you could maybe even compete with Pokemon Go. Though no one wants to give it more than the bare minimum of production values.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

I am the chart, my friend

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I had a sega genesis and Saturn and I still have trauma over its lovely remotes. Using them at a retro game shop reinforced that for me. Some things have just gotten better, period.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Shibawanko posted:

All the playstation controllers just confuse me with those tiny buttons and shapes instead of letters, which you only remember if you owned a PS as a kid.
The ONLY reason I remember which shape is which button is because:

Triangle: Grind
Circle: Grab
Square: Flip Trick
X: Ollie

signalnoise posted:

The shapes actually have a logic to them, not that it matters a ton, but circle is 1, cross is 2, triangle is 3, and square is 4, going by the number of lines it takes to make the shape. T
If I remember, Did You Know Gaming (on Youtube) said the Japanese designers chose it the way it did so that the buttons would/should always be the same for all games. X was cancel, O was accept, the others I don't remember what.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

signalnoise posted:

The shapes actually have a logic to them, not that it matters a ton, but circle is 1, cross is 2, triangle is 3, and square is 4, going by the number of lines it takes to make the shape. That order is the same as Nintendo's. Unfortunately just about every company that uses them for QTEs is dumb as gently caress about it just showing the button itself. The only company I know of that has done it intelligently is Platinum. When they show a button for a QTE they show you the position of the face button in the prompt itself.

God of War did this too, it helps a ton.

I'm playing Yakuza 0 right now and the karaoke/disco minigames have an extra layer of annoyance because although the button shapes match the controller I'm using(a 360 one), the background color is just the PS4 black. I played a ton of PS2 in my teenage years, so I get confused when I see a blue X with a black background and have to remember it's the 360 X button, not the PS2 one.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Sony's controller handles were all too short until the DS4

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Anybody who thinks the N64 or GameCube controller in particular were worth a poo poo is drinking kool-aid. At least people have mostly stopped trying to pretend the Wii controls were good.

Wii controls were a cool idea but they picked one of the worst possible technologies for it. Using IR for any kind of precision input is some of the dumbest poo poo. Yeah let's make an input device that can be hosed with by sunlight

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Ha, you let sunlight into your game room.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

a shameful gamer that doesn't allow conditions ripe for repeated boktai playthroughs

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Sony's controller handles were all too short until the DS4

DS4s handles are also too short.
I had to buy a thick rubber condom to slide it into so that it would be at least slightly bigger.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I never gave a poo poo about the wii and still don't

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I bought a wii and never played it

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

wii mote and nunchuck still vastly superior to every iteration of the dual shock

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wii was fun at the time for a lot of reasons other than the motion controls.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Away all Goats posted:

lol what? Nintendo pretty much invented the modern controller. <snip> and the gamecube controller had analog buttons and wireless (sold separately but still)

Dualshock 2 had analog buttons. It's just that almost no games used them. And wireless controllers have been a thing since the 80s.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Zzulu posted:

I don't know about best controller but I can definitely tell you the worst one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Vakal posted:

I don't know about best controller but I can definitely tell you the worst one.

I raise you the R-Zone.

The corners on the inside of the d-pad stab you when you use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Phantasium posted:

I raise you the R-Zone.

The corners on the inside of the d-pad stab you when you use it.

Same with the original Saturn pad, though the Nights controller was like a superior version of the DC controller.

I think Turbo Touch 360 does in fact take the price for worst tho

edit; holy poo poo I forgot the lovely Dreamcast controller's power cord comes out the bottom JUST LIKE THE R ZONE

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 13, 2018