Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

Both true and good posts. I'd like to add as well that some of the gang territories were really small and/or oddly shaped, so trying to find enough enemy gang members in those territories to kill and start the gang war event was in itself a massive pain in the rear end.

Also, I am not as smart as Breetai, and I went on to play GTA IV (and hated it) then I saw some footage of GTA V which made it seem more fun, bought it, and hated it. I have learned my lesson though, no more GTA games for me. Saints Row forever. Provided of course they ever actually make another goddamn saints row game...

I feel like the story of Saints Row has reached its natural conclusion (i.e. conquering the universe) but I'd be up for a remake/master of at least the first two games (the first to incorporate various QOL mechanics they figured out in later installments, and the second because the current PC port sucks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is such a drat mess. I didn't hate my time playing through it, but it burned up the remainder of my patience by the end because of an under-cooked final level and a garbage ending capped off by a clumsy sequel hook.

Also, your reward for beating the game is getting a single collectible type added to your map. Said collectible is the easiest and largely hassle-free type to find. You don't get the other four types of collectibles, which are all much more thoroughly hidden, added to the map at any point. :goleft: Wouldn't be surprised if you were supposed to, but it ended up on the cutting room floor. The whole game feels frustratingly sloppy like this.
It's real bad. The game expects you to get insanely perfect times on side missions, but the mechanics to do so are incredibly obtuse

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like the story of Saints Row has reached its natural conclusion (i.e. conquering the universe) but I'd be up for a remake/master of at least the first two games (the first to incorporate various QOL mechanics they figured out in later installments, and the second because the current PC port sucks.)

The Saints discovered time travel at the end of IV. There are limitless possibilities but instead we got Agents of Mayhem. I loved the silly Saturday morning cartoon aesthetic, but man the gameplay got really stale after like an hour and absolutely nothing different happened beyond incremental upgrades to your characters.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Quote-Unquote posted:

The Saints discovered time travel at the end of IV. There are limitless possibilities but instead we got Agents of Mayhem. I loved the silly Saturday morning cartoon aesthetic, but man the gameplay got really stale after like an hour and absolutely nothing different happened beyond incremental upgrades to your characters.

AoM is a sequel to Gat out of Hell not SR4.

Honestly the biggest issue with AoM for me was that they tried to do the different voices things from the Saint's Row games but with different characters but it just falls apart. The Boss having different lines while your homies respond the same works ok because the relationship never changes and the Boss always has broadly the same personality, just their specific ticks/interests change, but in AoM you have characters talking exactly the same to their girlfriend as their annoying coworker and it doesn't really work. The only time I found the writing really worked was in the character specific missions because they knew the characters relationship and could actually do something interesting instead of boring one-size-fits-all. It's almost like they should have just cut every character but 3 and forced a party single just to have known characters to write around.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Things dragging this game down,this entire sequence from the witcher is abominably poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCtI5b9_Um4

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Things dragging this game down,this entire sequence from the witcher is abominably poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCtI5b9_Um4

I'm in the minority here but the first game aged like utter poo poo and wasn't even that great back when I first played it at its release.

It also just feels like every Witcher game requires you to endure a fuckton of cringe inducing sexual content.
In general the politics and factional intrigue in them aren't that great either.

Now that I think about it, the only parts of The Witcher series I enjoy are the monster hunting parts.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

JebanyPedal posted:

I'm in the minority here but the first game aged like utter poo poo and wasn't even that great back when I first played it at its release.

It also just feels like every Witcher game requires you to endure a fuckton of cringe inducing sexual content.
In general the politics and factional intrigue in them aren't that great either.

Now that I think about it, the only parts of The Witcher series I enjoy are the monster hunting parts.

Well i've already finished 1 before but i'm doing it again and then moving onto 2 and yeah it's uhh not great.

There's been about 3 moments where i can say "ha yeah that was pretty good writing or a good scene" but there's lots of bad gameplay and design decisions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The first Witcher is sincerely one of the worst games I’ve ever played. The visuals are bad, the combat is bad, the voice acting is bad, the writing is juvenile, and all the deep choices people rave about are at least 10 hours into the game because that’s about as far as I made it before giving up. It sucks! Pretty amazing that the same developer would go on to make something like TW3 only eight years later.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

JebanyPedal posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that Witcher 1 was garbage at release, if you aren't playing the enhanced version don't even bother. And while I agree the the first Witcher is probably the worst it had something that the others lacked since I could never get into them. I still have some of my Witcher saves to import for my almost yearly attempt and playing 2.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

the voice acting is bad

It’s unbelievable to me that the guy who did Geralt’s mediocre-to-bad voice acting in the first game is the same guy that did Geralt’s really good voice acting in the third. Is there an acting award for “Most Improved” because holy poo poo

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Every Dragon Quest game, if you died in combat, brought you back to the last church you visited, with some money lost. Even if you were fighting a multi stage boss, you could return to the same stage to died at. You kept any XP, items, everything else that you had found. Dragons Quest XI doesn't, and it's a really annoying step backwards for the series.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s unbelievable to me that the guy who did Geralt’s mediocre-to-bad voice acting in the first game is the same guy that did Geralt’s really good voice acting in the third. Is there an acting award for “Most Improved” because holy poo poo

It's just extremely bad voice direction or the actors being forced to rush more than usual.

IE Bethesda games where talented voice actors produce poo poo tier performances because they have to slam out huge amounts of phrases at an insane pace.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My guess is that CDPR had money to get an actual voice director for TW3. While actors can always naturally improve on their own, good direction is what keeps a compartmentalized product like video game writing cohesive. It also helps when your visuals can accurately convey complex human emotions and aren’t just face textures mapped onto an N64 model.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I think the script definitely improved - W1 Geralt is a much more po-faced than his later appearances, like they missed "deadpan" and landed in "monotone".

The biggest thing dragging down W1 (aside from the incomprehensible alchemy system, and the eleventy-one different skill trees) is that loving murder mystery section, where you spend hours investigating the suspects and the killer turns out to be the loving detective you're working with

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

I was hoping Saints Row V would have been "wacky time shenanigans, with the whole crew and Jane Austin". Hell, even having something where you're just dealing with a city and the surrounding area, but have it set in 3 or 4 time periods would have been a fun twist on the genre. Western/frontiers-time, 1920's/30's mafias, 1980's-now corrupt businesses and "20 minutes in the future" dystopia. Enough that you can get a wide variety of side missions, see how various parts of the towns/city change and stay the same.

Instead we went to hell. And got a game where you can accidentally trigger the final mission before doing even a quarter of the content. I never did find all of the powers in that game...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been clamoring for Saints in Time since I think before IV came out. And I'm pretty sure I had that same idea too at some point. Bring back SR2's story where you have to conquer a city from different gangs, except each gang and their area are from different time periods, and you'd get... actually exactly what you said, a gang of frontier time outlaw gunslingers, the mafia, 80's street punks and some cyberpunk militia, that'd make for great mixups.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Hel posted:

AoM is a sequel to Gat out of Hell not SR4.

Honestly the biggest issue with AoM for me was that they tried to do the different voices things from the Saint's Row games but with different characters but it just falls apart. The Boss having different lines while your homies respond the same works ok because the relationship never changes and the Boss always has broadly the same personality, just their specific ticks/interests change, but in AoM you have characters talking exactly the same to their girlfriend as their annoying coworker and it doesn't really work. The only time I found the writing really worked was in the character specific missions because they knew the characters relationship and could actually do something interesting instead of boring one-size-fits-all. It's almost like they should have just cut every character but 3 and forced a party single just to have known characters to write around.

Agents of Mayhem might've been a lot of fun if it had co-op, more than one tileset for the dungeons and actual enemy variety. Oh, and removed those stupid loving snipers entirely.

It wasn't awful, but extremely mediocre and incredibly bland considering the premise and the fact that it came from the same people as SR2-4. I completed the main storyline and a few sidequests and had no desire to ever return to it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've been clamoring for Saints in Time since I think before IV came out. And I'm pretty sure I had that same idea too at some point. Bring back SR2's story where you have to conquer a city from different gangs, except each gang and their area are from different time periods, and you'd get... actually exactly what you said, a gang of frontier time outlaw gunslingers, the mafia, 80's street punks and some cyberpunk militia, that'd make for great mixups.

A ridiculous 80s-themed Saints Row, like Far Cry: Blood Dragon crossed with The Warriors, would be so loving cool

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

did you ever see the writing in the non-enhanced edition? It was hilarious. The game was translated on the cheap so I highly doubt there was competent voice direction

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I just bought Dirt Rallyand it's pretty cool, aside from the lack of any real hands on tutorial. Only thing they have is some info screens with a dude narrating at you with no player input at all which makes jt difficult for someone new to the series, especially one more realistic than past ones.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I didn't play the first two but I hated geralt's voice in the third. Sounded like a mild mannered dad trying to imitate David Hayter's Snake

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It may have required retconning because they implied Zinyak was the biggest game in the galaxy, but the Saints fighting alien gangs for control of Coruscant would have been my jam.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

A ridiculous 80s-themed Saints Row, like Far Cry: Blood Dragon crossed with The Warriors, would be so loving cool
Actually that's another thing dragging SR3 and 4 down for me: making The Mix into an 80s/90s nostalgia station from SR2's purestrain 80s. With, quite frankly, nowhere near enough 80s in it in the first place.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Nostradingus posted:

I didn't play the first two but I hated geralt's voice in the third. Sounded like a mild mannered dad trying to imitate David Hayter's Snake

Doesn't that exactly describe Geralt as a character though? He really is just a mild-mannered dad but instead of working construction or at a firm or something he hunts down monsters and gets swept up in political machinations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Poulpe posted:

I get the impression that the first Mirror's Edge was EA getting lucky with a small development team turning a tech demo into a brief, stylistically interesting experience.

And then the sequel got the full EA "Experience".

My PYF thing dragging this game down for the first Mirror's Edge is motion sickness. I can't play it any more and haven't even tried the sequel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spider-Man is pretty fun but man, the whole tower mechanic is so stupid. It's not like it is hard or anything, in fact the opposite. The whole thing is so bone simple it feels like you're just wasting your time doing it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's real bad. The game expects you to get insanely perfect times on side missions, but the mechanics to do so are incredibly obtuse

Well now you've got me started. The game has navigational aids, and they're basically required because an open world comprised almost entirely of the gleaming rooftops of skyscrapers is a nightmare to pathfind through. There's a swirly "follow me" trail that points the way, the classic Runner's Vision red highlights on objects, and then for side content there are big red arrows that point the way.

Except that in a large number of cases, the way to succeed in the side missions is to ignore all three of these things and find your own route (aka look it up on Youtube because most of the time it's obtuse bullshit). In one case, the solution to a time trial is to avoid doing any of that silly parkour nonsense and instead make use of a convenient grappling point that skips all the fuss. And even then you need to be as quick and precise as possible because pretty much every single time limit is about 5 seconds too strict.

One type of side mission is infinitely repeating and doesn't count towards completion. This isn't properly explained anywhere in the game and they have the exact same map icon as other side missions. I'm not clear how those missions are generated but it sure seemed like I ended up with one that didn't actually seem winnable. They have no reason to exist in the first place, since all they give is XP which isn't in short supply - I ended up with everything unlocked in the skill tree well before the end of the game doing maybe 50% of the side content at best. They're also identical in structure to another type of mission, so it's not even like they're there for the sake of variety.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Sep 13, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Spider-Man is pretty fun but man, the whole tower mechanic is so stupid. It's not like it is hard or anything, in fact the opposite. The whole thing is so bone simple it feels like you're just wasting your time doing it.

it feels like it was shoved in there by fiat considering how easy it is to just knock out all the towers and never think about them again

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Messenger is a pretty neat Ninja Gaiden style side scroller in an 8-bit style. It’s a linear series of stages and it flows pretty nicely, with a well-made boss fight at the end of each one and lots of lore dialogue from the shopkeeper as you go. But at one point you gain the power to travel to the future (in 16-bit glory) and thus portals open up throughout the world that let you shift between times, in a fairly basic dark world/light world mechanic.

Except the game also turns into a metroidvania at this point, and has no real reason to do so. Your quest becomes to collect six generic collectible items, so you have to backtrack through the levels you already played looking for the right gaps and series of story flags to unlock the next level. You don’t get any more progression items at this point, nor any new weapons or other fun and functional collectibles, and since the levels are laid out in long lines, it’s a ton of replaying the levels you already did with no significant changes and it’s super pointless padding. And you only get a couple more boss fights! It’s just a huge slog.

Also, collecting all 45 of the power seals (the only optional pickup) gets you... a boomerang that replaces your kunai. No, it doesn’t do more damage. It also has less range. Super not worth the effort.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just looked up a pretty annoying mechanic in Blood Omen as I've started playing through it (onto taking out Malek), the moon caves. There are some caves that are sealed until the night of a full moon, which is every few nights, which means hella waiting game. Hate that kind of timewaster. Apparently there is only one important one though, the others are optional.

The game is otherwise really good, it's just this mechanic is obnoxious.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In the PS4 Spider-Man game there's a level set in a house of mirrors but none of the mirrors actually work.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i'm going to kill each and every one of you

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Guy Mann posted:

In the PS4 Spider-Man game there's a level set in a house of mirrors but none of the mirrors actually work.

How does that even work? I take it that's a Mysterio level? Is there video anywhere? So jealous I can't play this game since I'm stuck on Xbone

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

No Mysterio, but god willing he will make the sequel and not get downed with a single punch this time.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

BiggerBoat posted:

How does that even work? I take it that's a Mysterio level? Is there video anywhere? So jealous I can't play this game since I'm stuck on Xbone

(It's not a level, it's a quick 1 minute gag in one of the quests.)

Well that is very understandable.
They way they 'don't work', is that they use normal reflection maps for their reflections. (Aka they just plopped in a camera probe and rendered what the mirrors would see, saved that as a texture, and used it on the mirrors.)
That's how most videogame reflections work.
Even a top end desktop would severely chug if they tried to actually do proper realtime reflections, aka proper mirrors. Atleast without raytracing assistance.

My main dragdown in the game is how they felt the need to fit every single kind of terrible style of collectible into the game.
Every single loving time I flew past an area with one of those loving pigeons I hated how the game would always start up a chase, then stop it, with voicelines tied to it.
If you're going to add stuff like that, please let me loving disable them somehow, so that they don't trigger every single time I fly past nearby.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Playing Mega Man X for the first time and the the difficulty jump of fighting bosses (compared to playing through the levels themselves) is absurd. I loved Dark Souls so don't mind hard games but the bosses move so quickly that I'm usually out of lives before I can even figure out their attack pattern :(

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Convex posted:

Playing Mega Man X for the first time and the the difficulty jump of fighting bosses (compared to playing through the levels themselves) is absurd. I loved Dark Souls so don't mind hard games but the bosses move so quickly that I'm usually out of lives before I can even figure out their attack pattern :(
Even though I played a shitload of Mega Man, I agree with you, I've never liked that initial wall of "awesome, I beat that hard-rear end stage! ...now I got one half and one full life to figure out the boss and I just know it's not gonna work...back to the stage select I go". If it helps, usually they have one boss that is super easy to beat with the Buster, and you can try working your way through the weakness chain from there. In MMX, it's a very good idea to start with said boss anyway, because you get the Dash boots so you can actually match bosses in speed. If you still wanna poke at it yourself, I'll spoiler it:

Chill Penguin

One good thing about the X bosses and especially the MM Zero ones however is that once you get good at them, you will feel like an absolute God dueling them just with the buster and dancing circles around the attacks that used to shred you to pieces. Sucks that there's usually an attempt-attempt-beat entire stage-attempt-attempt... rhythm to getting gud :v:.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Convex posted:

make sure you get the dash boots first in the penguin guys level. its not to bad until the sigma levels. gently caress that spider boss so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks guys! I already got the boots which helps, but I think my own patience is the bigger challenge... Will stick with it though :)