Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Josh Lyman posted:

Does anyone use the telephoto lens on their X very much? I finally watched the second half of the iPhone presentation and it tilted me toward the XR vs the X as an upgrade from the 7. Yeah, the X having OLED is nice but I won’t use portrait mode much. But the XR has the new sensor from the XS plus much longer battery life, and camera and battery life are the most important things to me.

I'm not sure if the X has a significantly better setup but the second camera on my 7 Plus only works in very bright conditions - even in overcast outdoors it'll use the main camera and just crop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’m thinking more and going to replace my iPhone 6s+ battery from Apple in October, and then wait till January to see how the Xr is holding up. I love the colors and the new camera, but $900 is my limit I think of what I’m willing to spend on an iPhone. Besides, I care more about a new laptop from them

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The price is on the high side, but considering how much of my life I run from my pocket computer, I'll probably get the get the unlocked XS Max with AUP.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Endless Mike posted:

Sure, any retailer that's been selling it should still have it in stock.

The Xs is practically the same size as your 6s.

https://twitter.com/rhl__/status/1039969014301315072

That's neat. I think what happened was I looked at the comparison between the 8 and the Xr thinking the Xr was just a smaller poor man's version of the X/Xs and saw that the Xr was loving huge. Still, the 6s/7/8 model is like on the verge of being too big and I don't think I'd like to go bigger, even if only slightly.

Are OLED screens really that much better? I don't have OLED anything except for the lovely screen on my MBP Touch Bar and my S0 watch and they don't look comparatively amazing or anything but they're also not super ultra retina 2.0 max or whatever.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 13, 2018

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are OLED screens really that much better?

Yes

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
As much as I want to get a smaller iPhone XS to replace my 8+, it's still $1460 for me to get a 256gb Xs with (poor man's $199) Apple Care 🙅🏻‍♀️🙅🏻‍♀️🙅🏻‍♀️

You could get a MacBook for that :stare:

Aside from time value of money, is there any other reason to not just buy the phone outright? If I can avoid payments then I'll do that.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So iPhones 7’s are significantly cheaper on eBay in the UK, especially for the higher storage models. They seem to have good reviews and ebays money back promise but is there some common scam I’m missing?

Would they be swapping parts or anything as they come from China?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

azzenco posted:

As much as I want to get a smaller iPhone XS to replace my 8+, it's still $1460 for me to get a 256gb Xs with (poor man's $199) Apple Care 🙅🏻‍♀️🙅🏻‍♀️🙅🏻‍♀️

You could get a MacBook for that :stare:

Aside from time value of money, is there any other reason to not just buy the phone outright? If I can avoid payments then I'll do that.

At 0%, you're spending the same amount of money (assuming we're talking AUP), just one way spreads out the payment. It's up to you to determine if ponying up front would be a financial burden or not.

I'm still going back and forth, but I think I'm just going to pay it all to get points on my card and then pay off the card after the payment posts.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
So is my original X now going to be worth more or something?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sorry, OP, it's no longer the latest and greatest phone, so it's literal garbage.

O-Unit
Oct 22, 2005

Is the liquid retina LCD of the Xr basically the same as what's in my iphone 7 now?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was looking forward to finally getting an upgrade on my 5S but these new models are ridiculous. It might just be worth it to move to Android.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FCKGW posted:

I watched this whole david blane filled keynote live my friend
I was there for when sprint hyped up this event as their iPhone Killer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJxV1gFIrSo

I worked the support counter at a Sprint store when those were out. The best part was they had no recovery mode menu, so when somebody filled up the memory and it wouldn’t boot anymore, we had to order a replacement phone.

Eventually, I figured out a way to get it into Fastboot and wrote a batch file to wipe it from a PC, but that was a weird thing for them to leave out. Especially in the days where Android was super prone to weird software issues that a factory reset would fix.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Vegetable posted:

I was looking forward to finally getting an upgrade on my 5S but these new models are ridiculous. It might just be worth it to move to Android.

yea, i’m sort of in this boat. the pixel certainly intrigues me. and google fi seems very interesting as well.

jesus, what a mess

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Ios12 GM auto filled a text code verification for me and it was very cool and good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

withak posted:

Yeah, how long til OS updates force a 6S to die?

Considering the 5S is getting iOS 12, probably awhile.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'm glad I bought the iPhone X at launch, now. It seems that I'll be holding on to this thing for another 2-3 years at least.

I have to admit, the faster silicon and all of the AI integration into the camera do seem like great features, but probably not compelling enough by itself to anyone who has an iPhone 7 and above and doesn't live inside their camera app. If the OLED didn't sell you last year, it probably won't this year.

It does seem like Apple might be serious about the "keep your iPhone for longer" part of the presentation. If they are predicting (or reacting to) market saturation and instead releasing phones such that every 3-4 years the combined new feature set grows to be compelling enough to make people upgrade, they can effectively charge whatever they want (on a payment plan anyway). Getting ahead of that pricing might be nudging people in that direction intentionally.

The other manufacturers are having difficulties massively outcompeting themselves each year, anyhow. The tech blogs all complain about 'only incremental improvements' (see: Galaxy).

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Bleh, I have the upgrade every year plan and my X has a couple of scratches on the screen... I hate myself but I guess maybe I'll upgrade :smith:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Looks like the US Xs models got merged back into a single version again, so hopefully that means no trash Intel modems on half the phones.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Matt Zerella posted:

Ios12 GM auto filled a text code verification for me and it was very cool and good.

Best new feature.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Pivo posted:

It does seem like Apple might be serious about the "keep your iPhone for longer" part of the presentation.

B-b-b-but this flies in the face of the “forced obsolescence” narrative!

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ineptitude posted:

Been looking forward to this announcement for a long time as my 6s is getting very long in the tooth and is in need of a replacement.

At the same time it looks like i am forced to swap to not-Apple since none of their new phones have a fingerprint sensor. gently caress.
The previous time i used Android, during iPhone 5, 5s and 6's era, it was still a huge loving mess of way too many options to configure and complete uncertainty if you would get further Android upgrades. I don't want to go back to that but i also need a fingerprint sensor. There is no way i am going to start inputting pin codes again to unlock all the apps i use daily.

So use FaceID?

I'm trying to decide if the Xr will be enough or if I need to just pony up for the Xs Max. I'm on an 8 now and I hate the small screen (was on a 6s+ and 7+ before). The PPI on the Xr makes me think it's basically going to be a scaled up 8, not like the pluses which had the UI be smaller/fit more content on the screen at once...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ouhei posted:

So use FaceID?

Maybe he doesn't have a face show some sensitivity

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread post-event yet, but the developer beta profile looks like it has the iOS 12 final release up now, if anyone can't wait.

e: A little Googlin' can find that profile as well, there's literally no restrictions for using it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So I am still getting the UPDATE YOUR iOS business on my phone constasntly, but both the phone and iTunes say I have no updates available. What gives?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

The Xs is practically the same size as your 6s.

https://twitter.com/rhl__/status/1039969014301315072

I’m confused, am I reading this right? I thought the XS Max was the biggest phone. The 7/8s is bigger?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

Does anyone use the telephoto lens on their X very much? I finally watched the second half of the iPhone presentation and it tilted me toward the XR vs the X as an upgrade from the 7. Yeah, the X having OLED is nice but I won’t use portrait mode much. But the XR has the new sensor from the XS plus much longer battery life, and camera and battery life are the most important things to me.

Yep, I use the 2x lens constantly. Why would you use the 1x camera and crop? I want to take photos of things that are far-ish away pretty frequently. Unfortunately that is a problem for every phone camera and better accomplished with a point-and-shoot that hax 20x or whatever OZ.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Feenix posted:

I’m confused, am I reading this right? I thought the XS Max was the biggest phone. The 7/8s is bigger?

Biggest screen. The body of the 7/8 Plus is ever so slightly bigger.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

FCKGW posted:

The true play is to wait until Best Buy/Target/Walmart start clearance pricing out the now-discontinued iPhone X :ssh:

Has this happened in the past with discontinued models? When would this go down?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are OLED screens really that much better? I don't have OLED anything except for the lovely screen on my MBP Touch Bar and my S0 watch and they don't look comparatively amazing or anything but they're also not super ultra retina 2.0 max or whatever.
The OLED screen itself would be worth the $250 difference between the XR and the XS to me, but others might not feel the same.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

AlternateAccount posted:

So I am still getting the UPDATE YOUR iOS business on my phone constasntly, but both the phone and iTunes say I have no updates available. What gives?

Monday Monday MONDAY [/monster-truck-show-voice]

The notifications for new features in iOS 12 are what Apple calls fair warning.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pivo posted:

Biggest screen. The body of the 7/8 Plus is ever so slightly bigger.

Oh poo poo, duh.
Nice.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Endless Mike posted:

Looks like the US Xs models got merged back into a single version again, so hopefully that means no trash Intel modems on half the phones.

Single version, but given Apple’s in litigation with Qualcomm and refusing to pay them royalty fees, you may not like which modem is in the single version.

E: and Intel came out with a new modem that supports CDMA.

fordan fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 13, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fordan posted:

Single version, but given Apple’s in litigation with Qualcomm and refusing to pay them royalty fees, you may not like which modem is in the single version.

E: and Intel came out with a new modem that supports CDMA.

I'm not buying one anyway so idgaf and hopefully they figure it out going forward (or Intel's get better).

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

For anyone having woes over the pricing of the new phones, I truly think the iPhone 7 is the pro buy at this point. I say this having owned an iPhone X since launch. Sure, it's a good phone, but so is the iPhone 8, and so is the iPhone 7. With a 64-bit processor, it shouldn't be considered obsolete in the foreseeable future. If you really need wireless charging and it's worth $150 more to you, maybe hop up to the iPhone 8.

I don't think anything offered in the iPhone X is worth such a premium -- Face ID is a parlor trick and a hassle compared to Touch ID, OLED display is nice but not perfect (ghosting, QC issues,) Portrait Mode is still hit or miss and requires optimal lighting.

I just don't see the use case in these new phones; why anyone would need that kind of horsepower in a phone. It feels as if Moore's Law has come to a head in the realm of smartphones. The iPhone 7 runs Pokémon Go just fine, and costs what, like over $500 less?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Ineptitude posted:

Been looking forward to this announcement for a long time as my 6s is getting very long in the tooth and is in need of a replacement.

At the same time it looks like i am forced to swap to not-Apple since none of their new phones have a fingerprint sensor. gently caress.
The previous time i used Android, during iPhone 5, 5s and 6's era, it was still a huge loving mess of way too many options to configure and complete uncertainty if you would get further Android upgrades. I don't want to go back to that but i also need a fingerprint sensor. There is no way i am going to start inputting pin codes again to unlock all the apps i use daily.

:psyduck: Do you not have a face?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
As someone who hasn't really kept up with iPhones in the past few years, why did 3D Touch/Wireless charging not take off?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Are the portrait mode changes not in the 8+? I saw a a sample showing a masked image with the old portrait mode and new, the new showing that hairs are now selected and not blurred into the background. I just got ios12 to test this and it is still poo poo if you are looking critically at it with no visible different in edge detection, making a hard line around my cat (which seemed like a good test). Also I guess I misunderstood but I was thinking raw photos would be in the camera app now as a setting but it looks like we are still stuck using 3rd party apps to shoot raw, which is confusing as to why they wouldn’t just put a toggle in settings to let us shoot raw with the native camera app.

Otherwise it is smooth overall. I don’t really see any reason to upgrade to a new phone from the 8+ and I’ll be curious to see how sales are (I’m guessing good since so many people need the latest and greatest). I’m pretty disappointed with the way they are going with this year’s release and looking to the future this is the first year I could see myself switching to some other brand realistically in the future. I don’t think I would leave the iPad though unless they somehow mess that up as well.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Residency Evil posted:

As someone who hasn't really kept up with iPhones in the past few years, why did 3D Touch/Wireless charging not take off?
3D Touch is a dumb solution to a problem nobody asked for that Apple rolled out a few years ago because they didn't have any big technological upgrades to tout and it's seen limited use from developers.

Apple was late to the game with wireless charging but they're running full steam with it now. The thing you keep hearing is getting pushed back is actually Apple's proprietary application of wireless charging where you can charge multiple devices on the same charging pad, and they haven't been able to get the tech to work correctly with multiple devices so they kinda pushed it under the rug for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

American McGay posted:

3D Touch is a dumb solution to a problem nobody asked for that Apple rolled out a few years ago because they didn't have any big technological upgrades to tout and it's seen limited use from developers.

Apple was late to the game with wireless charging but they're running full steam with it now. The thing you keep hearing is getting pushed back is actually Apple's proprietary application of wireless charging where you can charge multiple devices on the same charging pad, and they haven't been able to get the tech to work correctly with multiple devices so they kinda pushed it under the rug for now.

3D Touch is a great way to reposition the cursor accurately and get alternative options. Unless they have a better way to do that then I wouldn’t want to be without it.

What is the “problem that nobody asked for” that you’re talking about?