Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-45452703/missing-for-30-years-but-could-this-soldier-be-alive

this is wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1040179329655812096

Wow, surely clears everything up! :downs:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

They also said they wanted to go to Stonehenge, but the slush on the streets put them off, even though it's a 3 hour walk and the Stonehenge bus parks outside the train station they used 4 times in two days.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

They also said they wanted to go to Stonehenge, but the slush on the streets put them off, even though it's a 3 hour walk and the Stonehenge bus parks outside the train station they used 4 times in two days.

I am surprised they weren't asking about how to go to the library in the middle of the night.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
All the CCTV footage is entirely fake and fabricated, and even if it wasn't, it was really muddy that day and our feet hurt.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mozi posted:

All the CCTV footage is entirely fake and fabricated, and even if it wasn't, it was really muddy that day and our feet hurt.

There were so many contradictory 'explanations' on Russian TV prior to that interview. From the top of my head:
- The photos or timestamps on them are fake, the two men weren't in London on those specific dates
- The names are all wrong, and Russian citizens with those names don't match the CCTV photos
- The people on the photos are actors, and some director recognised them
- They are not Russian, and one of them is actually a Ukrainian businessman hiding from creditors

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

- The names are all wrong, and Russian citizens with those names don't match the CCTV photos

That one's quite likely to be true...

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Did these guys forget every square inch of the UK is under CCTV surveillance?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Why would spies or foreign agents have alibis?
It is silly. Can you imagine: spies with alibis?

Next question comrade.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Did these guys forget every square inch of the UK is under CCTV surveillance?

Be kind to the Russian intelligence community, they haven't updated their literature since poison umbrella days.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

This really is wild.

If it really is him, how the heck did he survive in Afghanistan for 30 years? Did he learn the language?

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Charliegrs posted:

This really is wild.

If it really is him, how the heck did he survive in Afghanistan for 30 years? Did he learn the language?

I feel like this must be a scam. He's clearly a Ukrainian looking guy who speaks russian though, I feel like this is all fake or all true. Apparently, he joined some local paramilitary defense force, hence the AK he has on in some modern pictures.

I hope he remembers what happened post-injury, like how he survived and became a member of Afghan society, for the book/movie that will come.

HorrificExistence fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 14, 2018

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CBC interviewed a Russian (non state-funded) journalist and apparently internally the response to the Skripal poisoning interview is mockery and disbelief:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4822220

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

CBC interviewed a Russian (non state-funded) journalist and apparently internally the response to the Skripal poisoning interview is mockery and disbelief:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4822220

It's glaringly obvious, Russian government is flaunting that interview as an extra gauntlet slap to the UK.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

We got hold of one of the suspects passport registration details, and other info, that clearly shows they are shady as gently caress
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2018/09/14/skripal-poisoning-suspects-passport-data-shows-link-security-services/

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I was theoretically aware that the UK loved their surveillance cameras but seeing just how many fuckin pictures they have of these bozos is still blowing my mind

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

I was theoretically aware that the UK loved their surveillance cameras but seeing just how many fuckin pictures they have of these bozos is still blowing my mind

You should go to the UK and see it for yourself lmao, they have more cameras than Russia babushkas.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You should go to the UK and see it for yourself lmao, they have more cameras than Russia babushkas.

Yeah that's my recollection of the UK too. Cameras everywhere. Signs telling you there are cameras, also everywhere. Giant billboards showing an aerial view of the area within crosshairs and a slogan to the effect of "we have you in our sights", I think that one was about tracking down people who don't pay the BBC fee for using a TV ! Small placards reminding you to always keep your windows' curtains closed so that burglars can't know if your house is tempting or not.

Really dystopian.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also signs like "ANTISOCIAL BEHAVIOUR WILL NOT BE TOLERATED, CITIZEN" on every corner

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah that's my recollection of the UK too. Cameras everywhere. Signs telling you there are cameras, also everywhere.

always love that the met decided this was a reassuring and normal thing to plaster all over London

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Spangly A posted:

always love that the met decided this was a reassuring and normal thing to plaster all over London

i have to imagine the graphic designer was having a laugh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

You've made Latvian national news headlines with the assassins' identity research, BM.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"Buses are getting better" is the best inspirational slogan since "There will be adequate food"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

"Buses are getting better" is the best inspirational slogan since "There will be adequate food"
Speaking of better food, EU is passing a regulation that prohibits sale of same product made differently across EU.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You've made Latvian national news headlines with the assassins' identity research, BM.

And to fan the flames even further someone got their hands on the other guys documents:
https://twitter.com/sl0zhny/status/1041045345403326465

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

And to fan the flames even further someone got their hands on the other guys documents:
https://twitter.com/sl0zhny/status/1041045345403326465

Nice. The cursive on top of that page is “wrote from”, as in received message of some sorts.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I would definitely not have the balls to leak something like this if I was a Russian file clerk.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Forgot to include the text from the people who posted the new one:

quote:

At the disposal of the "Project" was a document that indicates the possible involvement in the Russian special services of the second suspect in the poisoning of Sergei and Yulia Skripal - Ruslan Boshirov. This file is from the information system "Russian passport", it was sent to our mail proekt.media@protonmail.com.

The document contains a previously unpublished photograph of Boshirov from the Russian passport, it shows the same person who is accused by the UK of poisoning the Fiddles.

On the document the same marks, as in the passport file of Alexander Petrov. On the file, Boshirova also has a stamp "Do not give information." Earlier, Bellingcat, referring to his sources, wrote that this note may indicate that the file from the passport system belongs to a person connected with Russian special services. On the stamp the same phone number, presumably belonging to the Ministry of Defense, is indicated. Petrov's file was also marked "there is a letter, ss," which can be deciphered as "top secret." File Boshirova scanned badly, but it also can see one "s".

The file Boshirov said that he received a passport because of the "unfitness" of the old in October 2010 (Petrov - "in return for the spoiled" in 2009). The document also contains the number of Boshirov's allegedly old passport. As The Insider and Bellingcat previously wrote, Petrov's old passport number turned out to be false - there is no record with such a number in the passport database.

Boshirov received a new passport in the same department of the Federal Migration Service as Petrov - No. 770001. As The Insider wrote, the passports are received there by the employees of the security services. In addition, like Petrov, Boshirov's file does not contain any information about the foreign passport issued to him

We'll have more next week.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah that's my recollection of the UK too. Cameras everywhere. Signs telling you there are cameras, also everywhere. Giant billboards showing an aerial view of the area within crosshairs and a slogan to the effect of "we have you in our sights", I think that one was about tracking down people who don't pay the BBC fee for using a TV ! Small placards reminding you to always keep your windows' curtains closed so that burglars can't know if your house is tempting or not.

Really dystopian.

The security service CCTV watches public spaces because we had 30 years of continuous bombing campaigns and assassinations by terrorists. The vast vast majority of CCTV in the UK is monitoring private business premises and property for the owners of those locations. None of it is allowed to record where there would be an expectation of privacy, which is why you see the signs in public places.

And the windows thing is just common sense. Who the gently caress doesn't close their windows when they go out?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The security service CCTV watches public spaces because we had 30 years of continuous bombing campaigns and assassinations by terrorists. The vast vast majority of CCTV in the UK is monitoring private business premises and property for the owners of those locations. None of it is allowed to record where there would be an expectation of privacy, which is why you see the signs in public places.

And the windows thing is just common sense. Who the gently caress doesn't close their windows when they go out?

Most people don’t, here in Latvia at least - I imagine in other former Soviet republics too. Thing is we all have semi-transparent white mesh inner curtains that block line of sight from outside anyways.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Russian MoD is giving a press conference on MH17 tomorrow, seemingly to claim Ukraine has been giving fake evidence to the JIT. My cup runneth over.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Speaking of better food, EU is passing a regulation that prohibits sale of same product made differently across EU.

Good. Companies selling crappy versions of their products in Eastern Europe is frankly insulting, especially with their flimsy excuses like "our EE detergents have more filler because Polish customers use more detergent per wash" (gee, I wonder what the cause and effect relationship is here). The EU cracking down on this bullshit goes a long way to disprove the euroskeptic notion that the Union is just a vehicle for German domination and blah blah, since it's primarily German companies doing it, but I'm sure the right wing media will find a way to just ignore it.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Nah, they’re going to start selling the inferior product all over Europe.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/09/the-russians-are-really-pushing-a-nasa-astronaut-sabotaged-the-iss-theory/

cross posting from the spaceflight thread. this is the first time i can remember a disinformation campaign being launched in regards to something space related, it's usually very apolitical

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

Good. Companies selling crappy versions of their products in Eastern Europe is frankly insulting, especially with their flimsy excuses like "our EE detergents have more filler because Polish customers use more detergent per wash" (gee, I wonder what the cause and effect relationship is here). The EU cracking down on this bullshit goes a long way to disprove the euroskeptic notion that the Union is just a vehicle for German domination and blah blah, since it's primarily German companies doing it, but I'm sure the right wing media will find a way to just ignore it.

This'll apply to everything? Including subjective things like food taste? (Which some people may have gotten used to/fond of)

Cool (I know how bullshit this stuff is from years of first hand experience) but I'm betting it'll come with another bump in prices.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

This'll apply to everything? Including subjective things like food taste? (Which some people may have gotten used to/fond of)

Cool (I know how bullshit this stuff is from years of first hand experience) but I'm betting it'll come with another bump in prices.

lol, German groceries are often CHEAPER and of higher quality than what you can buy in EE (or at least here). The corporations are just taking advantage of people.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

lol, German groceries are often CHEAPER and of higher quality than what you can buy in EE (or at least here). The corporations are just taking advantage of people.

I mean that's not necessarily a contradiction

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

steinrokkan posted:

It is typical. Even sometime that you visit deep in East German land, you can get lovely version instead in local store that you wouldn't in Berlin or rest of Germany. The village where my great Uncle live is like that. And they charge very similar price for that as you pay in Sarrebruck!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Brown Moses posted:

The Russian MoD is giving a press conference on MH17 tomorrow, seemingly to claim Ukraine has been giving fake evidence to the JIT. My cup runneth over.

In a shocking surprise, they announced that it was the Ukrainians who did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

They used this footage to show how easy it is to fake footage, inadvertently showing it's not actually that easy to fake footage

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1041699140789522432

The whole middle section on the supposed fake footage is pretty much entirely stolen from conspiracy websites too.