Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I shot my episode today; it airs October 24. Boy was the hardest part the buzzer. I was soooo bad on it. It was so fun though. An absolutely amazing experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Your first of many filming days, I’m sure!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i've got an audition in early september in ny. is there a primer in this thread for the audition somewhere, or is it more just question-asking and going back and forth? a friend of mine was already on the show and i talked to him about the process, so i feel i know what to expect, but just curious if there was another something to read.

also, i'm finding the hardest part of this whole thing is coming up with these loving bio facts.

also, anyone else in learned league?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zesty posted:

Your first of many filming days, I’m sure!

I’m actually Ken Jennings in disguise.

Abel, honestly, there’s really nothing to the audition that we could tell you other than to have fun. You’ll do a 50-question test, practice “playing” against the others and then you can ask questions about the show. It’s a great experience, so have fun!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Abel Wingnut posted:

i've got an audition in early september in ny. is there a primer in this thread for the audition somewhere, or is it more just question-asking and going back and forth? a friend of mine was already on the show and i talked to him about the process, so i feel i know what to expect, but just curious if there was another something to read.

also, i'm finding the hardest part of this whole thing is coming up with these loving bio facts.

I've meant to do Learned League for the longest time whenever Jeopardy FB friends start posting about it during League seasons, but I let my original invite expire and I keep forgetting to ask about new ones because I know I'll probably let them expire too.

The bio facts took me a while to come up with too, don't sweat it. Corina and Glenn and Maggie if she's there will make sure the audition goes well and you'll have fun there. Even if you don't get on the show, just meeting them will be a blast.

September in NY, huh? At the Hilton again? Maybe I'll drop by to say hi to whichever Contestant Coordinators are running it and pick up some pens too.

HookShot posted:

Abel, honestly, there’s really nothing to the audition that we could tell you other than to have fun. You’ll do a 50-question test, practice “playing” against the others and then you can ask questions about the show. It’s a great experience, so have fun!

Yeah, this. Just have fun and stay clam if you don't know the answer.

HookShot posted:

I shot my episode today; it airs October 24. Boy was the hardest part the buzzer. I was soooo bad on it. It was so fun though. An absolutely amazing experience.

Congrats and retro good luck!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Abel Wingnut posted:

Learned League is great. I love Learned League. B Taiga here.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

mennoknight posted:

Learned League is great. I love Learned League. B Taiga here.

B Laurel here (used to be Badlands).

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

amspacherwc here

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
What's up guys it's Season 35 premiere day and there's another all star tournament this year!

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/all-star-games-our-first-ever-team-tournament

quote:

What is the Jeopardy! All-Star Games?

Unlike any other Jeopardy! tournament, where contestants compete individually, 18 players will be divided into teams of three: one captain and two selected players. All three members of the team will play during each match, but not at the same time. Teams will have to strategize and decide who will play each round: Jeopardy!, Double Jeopardy! and Final Jeopardy! Teams will advance based on point totals at the end of the game (with a wild card slot up for grabs). The top three teams will compete for a $1 million prize in the finals.

Who are the All-Stars?

The team captains are as follows: Colby Burnett, Buzzy Cohen, Julia Collins, Ken Jennings, Austin Rogers and Brad Rutter.

They will select from this A-list roster of players: Leonard Cooper, Roger Craig, Jennifer Giles, Ben Ingram, Matt Jackson, Alex Jacob, Larissa Kelly, Alan Lin, David Madden, Pam Mueller, Monica Thieu and Seth Wilson

How will the teams be selected?

This is where the excitement begins. All 18 contestants will participate in a Facebook Live draft event hosted by Alex Trebek (naturally), set to take place Saturday, September 22, at 10 a.m. PT (mark your calendars!). The live draft will also be the first live broadcast the show has ever done, so you fans will get a unique look at what happens on and off the set.

Ken back! Brad back! Leonard back! In case you forgot Leonard, he's this guy.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Tag team match is a weird format, but it sounds like it will be really fun. I guess you would put your weakest player in the Jeopardy round or Final Jeopardy?

I don't know how Roger Craig isn't a captain, and I'm kinda surprised Arthur Chu missed the cut.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

wa27 posted:

Arthur Chu missed the cut.

oh thank the lord

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure how the captains are supposed to strategize unless they're giving out more info about the rounds in advance now.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I suspect Chu has gotten enough bad press that he wasn't high on the list of invitees.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh that sounds super fun! They hinted that there was something different this year, but yeah, that sounds awesome.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

wa27 posted:

I guess you would put your weakest player in the Jeopardy round or Final Jeopardy?

I'm surprised they didn't break it pre-commercial, post-commercial, Double (and make the captain play Final as well as their other round).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You know who else isn't on the list that I would've expected is Eddie Timanus. I wonder what's up with that?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Anne Whateley posted:

You know who else isn't on the list that I would've expected is Eddie Timanus. I wonder what's up with that?

Eddie Timanus was a great bit of Jeopardy history, but I think he's a bit too far in the past to maybe get a call for this kinda thing. Shame, Frank Spangenberg might've been great to see as well.

Jason Sterlacci was dropping hints about the tournament (or maybe just deleting posts and telling people that there was something previously here) on FB in our Contestant group prior to the event having beeen officially announced this weekend. So I knew something like this was coming, but I had no idea what. Good to see that Jeopardy can still surprise me like this.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Anne Whateley posted:

maybe he hasn't seen the email

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

GhostStalker posted:

Eddie Timanus was a great bit of Jeopardy history, but I think he's a bit too far in the past to maybe get a call for this kinda thing.
Same as Brad Rutter, so idk --

mennoknight posted:

maybe he hasn't seen the email
:drat:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Trebek looks good with a beard.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Same as Brad Rutter, so idk --

Well, Brad won the Battle of the Decades and overtook Ken Jennings in winnings a while ago after tournaments are factored in, so he's more of a name well known to Jeopardy watchers. But yeah, seeing Timanus again would've been amazing.

Also, I think they call before they email lol.

PT6A posted:

Trebek looks good with a beard.

That he does. Trebek is like the platonic ideal of a silver fox.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I love how Alex Trebek said in the intro today that the voting determines whether or not he keeps the beard, because "keep it" is currently winning 65/35 and, well, um...

I personally like the beard way more than the mustache.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My husband pointed out tonight when he came out that it gives him a real Dos Equis guy vibe.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

zakharov posted:

I suspect Chu has gotten enough bad press that he wasn't high on the list of invitees.
I'm blocked by him on Twitter for some reason

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Holy poo poo that beard is giving me feelings

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
My DVR has become possessed and is recording Jerry Springer instead of Jeopardy. I think I fixed it, unless there were there strippers on tonight's episode.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Trebek held the mustache in for so long that when he released it it exploded all over his face.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Honestly without the "exception" the FJ would've probably been too hard, but with it, it was definitely too easy.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Earlier this week, possibly Monday, Trebek really messed with me by starting a non-daily-double answer with "Answer!"

it genuinely threw me off

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 17, 2022

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
'Green market' may well have three Es in it but it's loving wrong.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Monday's guy in the middle looked like a Lupin the Third cosplayer

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

edit: whoops

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Unkempt posted:

My (Australian) husband was also so angry about this haha.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

HookShot when is your air date?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oct 24

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

This is correct!

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Unkempt posted:

If they accepted ‘Green Market’ they definitely should have accepted ‘teetotaler’

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

A Typical Goon posted:

If they accepted ‘Green Market’ they definitely should have accepted ‘teetotaler’

The clue was asking for the name of the movement, not the supporters. Teetotalism only has 2 Es.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I really liked the one guy's answer of "Engagement" in the other category, but I didn't really understand what was going on in that category at all so I probably missed the reason why it couldn't be accepted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Poque posted:

I really liked the one guy's answer of "Engagement" in the other category, but I didn't really understand what was going on in that category at all so I probably missed the reason why it couldn't be accepted

You were supposed to answer with two similar words that could be confused for each other, so martial/marital.

I agree that “engagement” is a cleverer answer than what the writers came up with.