Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

astral posted:

They might have decided to not keep all of the profile migration logic from years-old browser installs.

This is definitely true, though I don't recall how big a jump the migrator handles (it should be more than 2 versions though!!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Given the specific sequence of 43 to start, then 45, than 47 there....

45 is an ESR point. Makes sense that it would have jumped first to a version that was also for ESR as that's a relatively safe place to do further upgrades from.

And 47 was the last version without Electrolysis support enabled by default on any systems. 47 was also the last version to support processors without SSE2 and a few other things like that.

When I've gone around letting Firefox update on other systems that had been sitting unupdated for a while I've seen similar behaviors. Usually the first version it goes to is the ESR milestone next up after the version already installed, rarely its just the next version whose installation had been postponed. Then from the ESR it goes up to some other version around a major compatibility break, before jumping forward a lot to something close to current.

Recently I had to get one of my grandma's old laptops up and running again because there was something on there she'd forgot to bring forward but just missed for many years. It was sitting on Firefox 15, went to 17, then something in the 20s, 35, 52, and 61.whatever which was current at the time.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
hahaha I have a unique fingerprint because I use the latest firefox and canvas and one extra plug-in :negative:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Freakazoid_ posted:

hahaha I have a unique fingerprint because I use the latest firefox and canvas and one extra plug-in :negative:

If you're checking on EFF's Panopticlick, then what you actually have is a unique fingerprint among users who are sufficiently-curious about fingerprinting to visit Panopticlick (which is a vanishingly small amount of people).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Im_Special posted:

they also bundle Chrome as crapware in just about every dodgy Windows installer possible

:what: I have never seen Chrome bundled in a non-google installer ever.

Anyways I don't see why anyone ITT should be fearful of Firefox's continuing slide back down to a minority-share browser. Most of the lovely and bogus decisions that the foundation has made in the recent years have been their panicked scramble to keep the Firefox "brand" relevant -- and to be the person in charge who got credit for it. As Firefox recedes back from popular consciousness there won't be as much temptation to use it for the type of career-bait longshot whiffs like loving Firefox OS.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Klyith posted:

They exist. But it's nice you haven't come across them.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Im_Special posted:

Firefox is losing this battle because the only time it's the default browser is on random Linux distros, which is the same class of tech savvy users that they've had from the start. Meanwhile, not only is Chrome the default browser on most Android devices, they also bundle Chrome as crapware in just about every dodgy Windows installer possible, so people that just click 'ok' when installing something without actually reading will end up installing it by accident one way or another.

I think that the term "nice guys finish last" can apply to Firefox here as far the browser wars go. Google owns an entire OS that is used on basically every smart phone that isn't Apple and they get to make their browser the default one. They also ship Chrome as crapware so a lot of people get tricked into using it. And Microsoft owns the most widely used desktop OS in the world and they get to make their browser the default one there. Firefox is 100% optional, Chrome and Edge are defaults that are forced onto people. As more and more people that don't really know their asses from their elbows when it comes to tech own smart phones and laptops, the bigger the numbers will get for Chrome and Edge.

I would like to know if Firefox is actually losing users or if they're just not gaining as many new users as Chrome.

Hilariously Firefox is doing much better than Edge on desktops despite Microsoft's monopoly of desktop OS.

I think it's your second thought. That Chrome is gaining more users faster than the other browsers are than people switching over. Chrome is simply a juggernaut like Internet Explorer was and it's harder to break through on mobile than it was on desktop.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Having google throw "why not chome" at you every time you search the internet doesn't help either, probably.

Most of my friends use firefox, but at work almost everyone used chome, both on mobile and desktop. That is, until I showed ublock to some people, and then they ask me "ok now how do I make this work on my phone". ublock works on firefox for phones, it's amazing how chome still has market share there despite lacking any sort of adblock support on metered connections and very limited battery, to me. You'd think people caught on by now, but nope, completely oblivious.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
For mobile adblocking, I use Samsung Internet. It's available on the Play Store, works on non-Samsung phones and is as fast as Chrome. Firefox on mobile is pretty terrible, feels super slow with weird scrolling behavior.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lambert posted:

For mobile adblocking, I use Samsung Internet. It's available on the Play Store, works on non-Samsung phones and is as fast as Chrome. Firefox on mobile is pretty terrible, feels super slow with weird scrolling behavior.

I don't think Google likes Samsung Internet very much.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

fishmech posted:

Given the specific sequence of 43 to start, then 45, than 47 there....

45 is an ESR point. Makes sense that it would have jumped first to a version that was also for ESR as that's a relatively safe place to do further upgrades from.

And 47 was the last version without Electrolysis support enabled by default on any systems. 47 was also the last version to support processors without SSE2 and a few other things like that.

When I've gone around letting Firefox update on other systems that had been sitting unupdated for a while I've seen similar behaviors. Usually the first version it goes to is the ESR milestone next up after the version already installed, rarely its just the next version whose installation had been postponed. Then from the ESR it goes up to some other version around a major compatibility break, before jumping forward a lot to something close to current.

Recently I had to get one of my grandma's old laptops up and running again because there was something on there she'd forgot to bring forward but just missed for many years. It was sitting on Firefox 15, went to 17, then something in the 20s, 35, 52, and 61.whatever which was current at the time.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks!

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

Anyways I don't see why anyone ITT should be fearful of Firefox's continuing slide back down to a minority-share browser. Most of the lovely and bogus decisions that the foundation has made in the recent years have been their panicked scramble to keep the Firefox "brand" relevant -- and to be the person in charge who got credit for it. As Firefox recedes back from popular consciousness there won't be as much temptation to use it for the type of career-bait longshot whiffs like loving Firefox OS.

I remember what it was like when IE6 was the majority of the browser market. I absolutely am fearful of a situation like that developing again, and unfortunately it will. Google will absolutely try some bullshit to force developers into using their services the minute they feel they have enough market share to do so, and it will be bad for everyone.

You must be a little naive.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
lol you already have websites that only work properly in Chrome

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Nalin posted:

lol you already have websites that only work properly in Chrome

I had to deal with a vendor who made their brand new web-based quoting/ordering system only work in Opera... The Opera BEFORE they switched to using WebKit/Blink as the backend. And they rolled it out shortly after Opera announced they would be switching.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
It's very cool and not at all bad that youtube.com, one of the biggest sites on the entire internet, takes like 6 seconds to render in Firefox because Google is using non-standard poo poo that only Chrome supports properly.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Lambert posted:

Have you tried Firefox for Android since Quantum launched? It improved the speed and reliability for me by a LOT.

e: ^^^^ some Google products simply refuse to run on anything besides Chrome :pseudo:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Measly Twerp posted:

I remember what it was like when IE6 was the majority of the browser market. I absolutely am fearful of a situation like that developing again, and unfortunately it will. Google will absolutely try some bullshit to force developers into using their services the minute they feel they have enough market share to do so, and it will be bad for everyone.

You must be a little naive.

I am afraid of Google, but browser choice isn't why I'm afraid of them. Google today does not have the same incentives that MS had in the 90s, not even a tiny bit. And the old microsoft idea that controlling the browser platform would mean controlling the internet is some 90s thinking that any google exec would laugh at.

The stuff that looks like a "chrome-only internet" is an artifact of how google is pouring an order of magnitude more money into browser and web development than everyone else. But it's open source, so it's not like the others are locked out of any of those features. Their motivation is to keep the internet funneling money into google's ads and data into their panopticon. They don't need to kill off firefox to do that. Firefox users spend just as much time on youtube as everyone else.

Chrome is a web browser designed to make cheap low-end android phones and google websites feel really good, which is why people use it. Nothing about chrome as a piece of software is scary, and google isn't going to try to force people to use it. Because chrome is only incidental to what they're doing.

xamphear posted:

It's very cool and not at all bad that youtube.com, one of the biggest sites on the entire internet, takes like 6 seconds to render in Firefox because Google is using non-standard poo poo that only Chrome supports properly.

I have no perceptible difference in rendering the youtube frontpage in firefox and chrome. Chrome loads a video page slightly faster, but firefox is slower to load videos on every website. Must be that non-standard HTML5 video. (Though if it's taking 6 seconds you should update to quantum.)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

xamphear posted:

That reminds me, does anyone else have this problem where the search terms don't appear in the search box on youtube?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
IE 6 only got as dominant as it did for as long as it did, because literally every other browser available was much worse for many years. Remember, Netscape basically imploded and a version 5 never came out, and when they switched to making what became Firefox the early couple of years were barely functional and even when Firefox 1.x was getting good in 2004 it was still pretty unstable. Opera had horrible amounts of rendering errors they basically just said were "Working as intended" and were shoving ads or an expensive purchase price to the users. Other projects like Konqueror or whatever were similarly insufficient if at least free.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Data points: My Firefox has no problems with the youtube search box and loads the youtube front page almost as fast as Chrome. There's maybe two seconds of blank page before the rendering begins, then half a second while all the video squares are grey. This is testing next to a fuckload of open tabs and with 80% memory in use.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fishmech posted:

IE 6 only got as dominant as it did for as long as it did, because literally every other browser available was much worse for many years. Remember, Netscape basically imploded and a version 5 never came out, and when they switched to making what became Firefoxbird the early couple of years were barely functional and even when Firefox 1.x was getting good in 2004 it was still pretty unstable. Opera had horrible amounts of rendering errors they basically just said were "Working as intended" and were shoving ads or an expensive purchase price to the users. Other projects like Konqueror or whatever were similarly insufficient if at least free.

Fixed that for you :colbert:

Also I tried Opera back then and I immediately went back to Firefox (dunno if it was still Firebird back then).

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

IE 6 only got as dominant as it did for as long as it did, because literally every other browser available was much worse for many years. Remember, Netscape basically imploded and a version 5 never came out, and when they switched to making what became Firefox the early couple of years were barely functional and even when Firefox 1.x was getting good in 2004 it was still pretty unstable. Opera had horrible amounts of rendering errors they basically just said were "Working as intended" and were shoving ads or an expensive purchase price to the users. Other projects like Konqueror or whatever were similarly insufficient if at least free.

Konquerer actually got pretty good, the rendering engine (KHTML) was pretty much the best available, even if it wasn't feature complete. Apple adopted it as the basis for Webkit, and Webkit was forked for Chrome/Chromium.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i just switched from chrome to firefox and love it so far, except for one thing. every like...15 seconds or so my keyboard lags. the computer still gets the input, but it doesn't appear in the text field for like 3 seconds, when it then rapidfires all the keys and gets back to live typing.

any idea why that might be? i've turned on all that was posted in the first post here. this happens on two different computers.

e: actually just found a page about it, and it told me to turn off accessibility services. we shall see...

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 13, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Klyith posted:

The stuff that looks like a "chrome-only internet" is an artifact of how google is pouring an order of magnitude more money into browser and web development than everyone else. But it's open source, so it's not like the others are locked out of any of those features. Their motivation is to keep the internet funneling money into google's ads and data into their panopticon. They don't need to kill off firefox to do that. Firefox users spend just as much time on youtube as everyone else.

Chrome is a web browser designed to make cheap low-end android phones and google websites feel really good, which is why people use it. Nothing about chrome as a piece of software is scary, and google isn't going to try to force people to use it. Because chrome is only incidental to what they're doing.

I have no perceptible difference in rendering the youtube frontpage in firefox and chrome. Chrome loads a video page slightly faster, but firefox is slower to load videos on every website. Must be that non-standard HTML5 video. (Though if it's taking 6 seconds you should update to quantum.)

there are only 2 ways i can make sense of this post. one is that you're a google employee, the other is that you're a complete idiot. but i repeat myself, so

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

EoRaptor posted:

Konquerer actually got pretty good, the rendering engine (KHTML) was pretty much the best available, even if it wasn't feature complete. Apple adopted it as the basis for Webkit, and Webkit was forked for Chrome/Chromium.

That didn't really happen until a while after Firefox was good enough to both beat IE on functionality and stay up without crashing for extended times though. The initial Safari up to a few patches into 2.x were about as usable as Opera.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Abel Wingnut posted:

so i just switched from chrome to firefox and love it so far, except for one thing. every like...15 seconds or so my keyboard lags. the computer still gets the input, but it doesn't appear in the text field for like 3 seconds, when it then rapidfires all the keys and gets back to live typing.

any idea why that might be? i've turned on all that was posted in the first post here. this happens on two different computers.

e: actually just found a page about it, and it told me to turn off accessibility services. we shall see...

Did you see the accessibility indicator? If you did, you can go to about :support and the accessibility section to see what is using the service. It could be anti-virus or something else that you may want to disable.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

I am afraid of Google, but browser choice isn't why I'm afraid of them. Google today does not have the same incentives that MS had in the 90s, not even a tiny bit. And the old microsoft idea that controlling the browser platform would mean controlling the internet is some 90s thinking that any google exec would laugh at.

And yet somehow...

Klyith posted:

Android is also open source, but they've effectively locked that down, they, like Apple could force everyone to use their rendering engine the minute they decide they need access to that data to sell it too. If the market ever drifted away from Chrome you can be drat sure they'd do whatever shady poo poo was in their power to prevent it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Abel Wingnut posted:

Another staple Firefox issue that's been around for like 10 years and rears its ugly head once in a while. What I usually do is restart FF and it goes away for a while. Doing a version update has also sometimes helped, along with removing some extensions that were obsolete or I decided I didn't need anymore. Sorry not a very precise solution...

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

pairofdimes posted:

Did you see the accessibility indicator? If you did, you can go to about :support and the accessibility section to see what is using the service. It could be anti-virus or something else that you may want to disable.

Pilsner posted:

Another staple Firefox issue that's been around for like 10 years and rears its ugly head once in a while. What I usually do is restart FF and it goes away for a while. Doing a version update has also sometimes helped, along with removing some extensions that were obsolete or I decided I didn't need anymore. Sorry not a very precise solution...

well, i went ahead and disabled the accessibility services like the page i found said so, and the problem has definitely gone away. it's only been...what, 12 hours, though? we'll see, but initial results are promising

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Edge isn't the IE6 of old, to be fair, but I still will use Firefox.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Pilsner posted:

I've found doing maintenance on the Places Database to be helpful when this occurred for me. One time it actually got so bad that it couldn't even fix itself anymore.

Anyways, they've rolled the feature to do so into about :support. It's under the Places Database header, click the Verify Integrity button.
If you click it, it'll look like it's not really doing anything until it's done, but then it'll poop out something of a report after a few seconds.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

iospace posted:

I used Edge and was reminded what the internet looks like without uBlock and script blockers.

Long story short - it's terrible.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I used Edge and was reminded what the internet looks like without uBlock and script blockers.

Long story short - it's terrible.

So why didn't you get the uBlock Origin port from the store?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Geemer posted:

Follow-up: you don't actually need a Microsoft account to download free stuff from the Store, that's just a nag*. You also don't need to use a Microsoft account, new or existing, as your system user account; you can just use it for the Store and other individual apps.

*Thanks to library management, it's not even a bad-natured one. Also does any other app store except I guess the Chrome and Firefox extension libraries let you not use an account and still get stuff?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just realised you can select your own icons for the bookmarks on the new tabs page as long as it's a URL.

I have folders of stupid images stretching back decades, I should not be allowed this power.

Also, why can I do this with a simple right click for bookmarks on the new tab page, but I have to edit the goddamn userchrome.css file if I want to change the favicons anywhere else?

Geemer posted:

It was a work computer. IT enjoys making us suffer.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Abel Wingnut posted:

well, i went ahead and disabled the accessibility services like the page i found said so, and the problem has definitely gone away. it's only been...what, 12 hours, though? we'll see, but initial results are promising

psa: full day of use, from about 10a until now, and my issue is gone thanks to this fix

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've been having the same problem for several days, and only a Windows update and reboot seems to have done anything. Whee.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

iospace posted:

Every time I open a new tab in Edge and it gets those 1-2 seconds of active tab lag I get the sinking feeling in my stomache that the old IE new tab bug isn't fixed (even though it actually does work)

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I copied my firefox profile from Windows to Linux. Everything is working, including installing extensions, but I'm unable to delete extensions from within Firefox unless I drop down to safe mode. I've tried some things like find/replacing any obvious references to C:\.....\myprofile with /home/..../myprofile but still nothing.

I've done too much to nuke the entire profile over something this small, I'd need much bigger problems to bother. Obviously this isn't something people do very often, but I was hoping the more general problem of being unable to remove extensions would ring a bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Desuwa posted:

I copied my firefox profile from Windows to Linux. Everything is working, including installing extensions, but I'm unable to delete extensions from within Firefox unless I drop down to safe mode. I've tried some things like find/replacing any obvious references to C:\.....\myprofile with /home/..../myprofile but still nothing.

I've done too much to nuke the entire profile over something this small, I'd need much bigger problems to bother. Obviously this isn't something people do very often, but I was hoping the more general problem of being unable to remove extensions would ring a bell.

I didn't know straight copying even worked. What I would do is just enable sync, and tick everything you'd like to carry over.