Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Backhand posted:

Huh, it points you at avoiding him? I always took that quest to be the point at which it was time to become a man and just beat the bastard down. I don't actually remember the game ever saying you should probably sneak around or avoid him or anything.

I'm pretty sure the Zoras straight up tell you "Hey don't fight the Lynel, he'll tear you apart"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The cutscene shows link hiding from the lynel and you start behind cover with some arrows safely in range.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Backhand posted:

Huh, it points you at avoiding him? I always took that quest to be the point at which it was time to become a man and just beat the bastard down. I don't actually remember the game ever saying you should probably sneak around or avoid him or anything.

If you follow the most obvious path to the villages and Zora’s Domain then you’ll find it within the first few hours of being off the plateau. I sure as poo poo wasn’t ready to “become a man” :rolleyes: and fight it then.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I fought it because I somehow missed all the context clues telling me not to

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I didn’t fight it because I was more preoccupied about the sick rear end dive I was about to do from the top of the mountain.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
My first Master Mode run is coming along well. Just started seeing gold mobs. I thought it would be rougher, but as long as you have a good supply of hearty food and some attack boosting stuff, you shouldn't have a problem. Mob fights aren't trivial, but so far that's just made me pick my battles. And no, I didn't get any of the cheapo DLC gear yet.

Oh, and I finally got the Master Sword before doing any of the Divine Beasts, because I don't want to hear a single quest-giver give me that "Oh but if you're really the Champion, you'd have the Master Sword, right? Guess you're just some schlub hahaha". I totally gave up on the first stage of Master Mode Sword Trials, though. That's... gonna take some planning.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I didn't fight the lynel because I didn't want to waste any weapons my first run though.

Second playthrough I murdered that dork with one of the many respawning awesome weapons I knew about.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I got the hint that I was meant to sneak around the Lynel after he killed me in one hit.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Hobo Clown posted:

I got the hint that I was meant to sneak around the Lynel after he killed me in one hit.

i tried sneaking but he kept spotting me. died a bunch and other times i just jumped off the mountain to escape.

second run i'll probably attempt to kill it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has anyone tried a 2nd play through of this is it still good?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Dictator. posted:

i tried sneaking but he kept spotting me. died a bunch and other times i just jumped off the mountain to escape.

I think this is what the devs intended to be the most likely situation, at least if you're doing it right after visiting Kakariko for the 1st time. You die a few times, try sneaking, fail (possibly die a couple more times), and end up just panickedly running from the Lynel while grabbing what arrows you can and then jump off the cliff to escape, conveniently landing where the divine elephant quest starts. That was certainly my version of the events.

Zat fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 13, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Yes.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Halfway through my second playthrough with the addition of DLC, my Wii U gamepad's attack button got mushy and unresponsive from dust buildup. Disassembly and cleanup didn't help, I need to get new button pads and at this point its the only thing left for me to play on the system where I can't use another controller. I would rather wait for used carts to get cheap and rebuy the whole thing again years down the line for the Switch. Excellent game.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Absolutely yes. After the starting area, you can go about it in so many different ways. Like I mentioned before, I'm doing Master Mode for the first time, so this time around I focused on getting the Master Sword first, which helps a lot whenever there's purple goo (also good for getting the Hylian Shield early), then started doing the Divine Beasts. You could also try the speedrun way and forego all the Divine Beasts, heading straight for the castle, or whatever!

Heran Bago posted:

Halfway through my second playthrough with the addition of DLC, my Wii U gamepad's attack button got mushy and unresponsive from dust buildup. Disassembly and cleanup didn't help, I need to get new button pads and at this point its the only thing left for me to play on the system where I can't use another controller. I would rather wait for used carts to get cheap and rebuy the whole thing again years down the line for the Switch. Excellent game.

Yeah I ended up buying it again for Switch because the left stick on my Wii U gamepad didn't respond on the left side, and I wasn't going to take a chance buying one of those 3-prong screwdrivers just to try fixing it, so Switch it is. Also nice in that it's much easier for my daughter and I to have separate save files.

Mezzanine fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 13, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Turtlicious posted:

Probably and probably.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2nd playthroughs of BOTW are fun because you inevitably think "oh I should have done it this way the first time" like saving the yiga hideout for the endgame and getting revalis gale first and you can streamline your play much more, since you obviously lose a bit of the "holy poo poo exploration" aspect once you've already explored the world

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

My favorite playthrough was the one where I played it to unlock the memories in chronological order, and broke down the game into regions surrounding each one (so I would only open the map, do shrines/koroks, etc. if it was that memory's "turn"). Sucked to get the Master Sword after everything else, but it was also great to force me to do better with item management, etc. I did go to regions early for a few things (armor, materials), but overall that''s what I stuck to.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For games like a BOTW a 2nd playthrough is more of a victory lap where you know where everything is and how to get everything good so while you don’t get the awe and wonder of exploration you get the joy of making the land yours and just have fun with the knowledge the 1st playthrough gives you. It’s a different but equality satisfying experience, imo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mezzanine posted:

My first Master Mode run is coming along well. Just started seeing gold mobs. I thought it would be rougher, but as long as you have a good supply of hearty food and some attack boosting stuff, you shouldn't have a problem. Mob fights aren't trivial, but so far that's just made me pick my battles. And no, I didn't get any of the cheapo DLC gear yet.

Oh, and I finally got the Master Sword before doing any of the Divine Beasts, because I don't want to hear a single quest-giver give me that "Oh but if you're really the Champion, you'd have the Master Sword, right? Guess you're just some schlub hahaha". I totally gave up on the first stage of Master Mode Sword Trials, though. That's... gonna take some planning.

Does their dialogue change if you have the Master sword?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Does their dialogue change if you have the Master sword?

Yeah, the main quest-giver mentions it. Pretty sure it's always after you're done with the dungeon, right when they give you the champion's weapon.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Do some areas have tougher enemies than others? I'm about halfway through the game (I have 15 hearts, the master sword, 2 divide beasts, and fully explored about half the map) and exploring the badlands north of death mountain. However, every enemy camp has like 2 white bokoblins or black moblins and I've run into 2 white lynels. I can take them out, but it takes a decent amount of trouble/resources to do it.

It's just kind of a slog to deal with them at this point, and I can't imagine the enemies getting even worse as I progress since I'm basically at the highest tier of weapons.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eeyo posted:

Do some areas have tougher enemies than others?

Yes. Up north and in the castle are where most of the super hard enemies naturally are. The more divine beasts you do the more likely you'll run into the stronger enemies in regular areas.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Eeyo posted:

Do some areas have tougher enemies than others? I'm about halfway through the game (I have 15 hearts, the master sword, 2 divide beasts, and fully explored about half the map) and exploring the badlands north of death mountain. However, every enemy camp has like 2 white bokoblins or black moblins and I've run into 2 white lynels. I can take them out, but it takes a decent amount of trouble/resources to do it.

It's just kind of a slog to deal with them at this point, and I can't imagine the enemies getting even worse as I progress since I'm basically at the highest tier of weapons.

Enemies upgrade when you finish the Beasts. They’ll get tougher when you beat the next one

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If I recall correctly, the game has a hidden "progress" value that determines how tough random stuff you find in the wild is. Completing shrines, killing monsters, doing side quests, etc will increase that number. Doing a divine beast just adds a WHOLE BUNCH to that value all at once. So cranking through a couple beasts will instantly upgrade enemies out in the wild by a tier or two, but you could eventually grind your way up to that difficultly just by clearing out enemy encampments and exploring.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Some spawns are just stronger than other at base, too. Like enemies in the castle will always be black variations, and other areas start at blue even if you rush there from the beginning.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Yeah, and Master Mode bumps everything up a rank. What's funny is that they had to make fixed spawns of the lowest rank, one or two of each mob, just so that you can take pictures of them. So there's literally one lonely red bokoblin somewhere that you have go on a trek to find in order to get your Hyrule Compendium up to 100% :3:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
game still owns

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

game still owns

:hmmyes:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

This is probably the one game I’ve played that I wanna forget everything and do it over. What an experience the first time is

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Carlosologist posted:

This is probably the one game I’ve played that I wanna forget everything and do it over. What an experience the first time is

:yeah:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I fought it because I somehow missed all the context clues telling me not to

Context clues like the questgiver directly telling you not to fight it and to instead sneak around?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, possibly

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Carlosologist posted:

eternal sunshine but then for videogames

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Can I get some pro-tips, like things along the lines of dragon horn recipes? I picked this up for Switch after rushing through a first playthrough on my friend's Wii U, and I'm now taking my time and doing things like Tarrey Town, but just want to be spoiled on some more nuanced stuff.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Protips on recipes? Basic gist is that ingredients with effects add a certain strength values, and the different levels of buffs need to have certain total values. For example:

1-4 points in ATKUP gets you a Lv 1 ATK boost
5-6 points in ATKUP gets you a Lv 2 ATK boost
7+ points in ATKUP gets you a Lv 3 ATK boost

Mighty Thistle only gives 1 point, so 5 together will only ever give you a Lv 2 ATK boost food.
Mighty Banana gives you 2 points, so 4 together will give you a Lv 3 ATK boost. Adding a 5th one will increase the buff length, but not the level.
Mighty Porgy gives you 3 points, so an efficient dish would be 2 porgies, 1 thistle, then filler (non-buff fruits, salt, whatever) to increase the buff length.

There's a big chart with all the values somewhere, I'll look for it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Seems like kinda a waste to use dragon parts on cooking unless you’re doing some low gear/heart challenge run to the castle.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 18, 2018

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Late game you're probably swimming in materials, so having your serious buffs be for 30 minutes is a nice-to-have, I guess. I never really do it, though, because farming the dragon parts is one of the most tedious things.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I like making Lv3 Speed potions/foods because Link looks like a manic cartoon character when he's sprinting at max speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Mezzanine posted:

Protips on recipes? Basic gist is that ingredients with effects add a certain strength values, and the different levels of buffs need to have certain total values. For example:

1-4 points in ATKUP gets you a Lv 1 ATK boost
5-6 points in ATKUP gets you a Lv 2 ATK boost
7+ points in ATKUP gets you a Lv 3 ATK boost

Mighty Thistle only gives 1 point, so 5 together will only ever give you a Lv 2 ATK boost food.
Mighty Banana gives you 2 points, so 4 together will give you a Lv 3 ATK boost. Adding a 5th one will increase the buff length, but not the level.
Mighty Porgy gives you 3 points, so an efficient dish would be 2 porgies, 1 thistle, then filler (non-buff fruits, salt, whatever) to increase the buff length.

There's a big chart with all the values somewhere, I'll look for it

Didn't you make or promote an app about this