Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Admiral Bosch posted:

Dicking around on Switzerland Trail in Boulder today. New front axle and new tires. This truck is still the bounciest thing on the god drat planet but it sure feels invincible if you take things slow. It crawls real real good in 4-lo 1st gear.

Are you dropping tire pressures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I dropped a little bit, but not significantly, no.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you've got swaybars, disconnect them. And yeah, get a compressor and then air down to like 15 psi. Much nicer.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
I poo-pooed airing down since I don't do a ton of technical wheeling. Until I did air down, and the resulting improvement in ride shot a compressor and deflator to the top of my must-buy list.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

I poo-pooed airing down since I don't do a ton of technical wheeling. Until I did air down, and the resulting improvement in ride shot a compressor and deflator to the top of my must-buy list.

Yeah I have a set of Staun deflators, they're great because I wind up airing down more often. So much better than crouching down with a pressure gauge or whatever. I have a viair88p hardwired/mounted with an extra long hose for the reinflating part.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Yeah I have a set of Staun deflators, they're great because I wind up airing down more often. So much better than crouching down with a pressure gauge or whatever. I have a viair88p hardwired/mounted with an extra long hose for the reinflating part.

Nice! How accurate/easy to dial in have you found them? I'm rocking the basic ARB deflator but have the Viair 400P.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

Nice! How accurate/easy to dial in have you found them? I'm rocking the basic ARB deflator but have the Viair 400P.

They're very accurate - I have a nice tire gauge I splurged on years ago so I'm not just guesstimating.

Deflate a tire to 15psi or w/e. Screw on one of the deflators, and then slowly tighten down the adjustment ring until you hear air hissing, back off a hair and snug the final locking ring to hold the adjustment. Repeat three more times.

Took me less than ten minutes to set them all a few years ago, and I haven't had to adjust them since. There's cheaper ripoff versions but I can't vouch for those.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Worth saying: I use the ARB deflator, because dear god, those things would take FOREVER.

I guess it's basically: Do you value effort or time more? The ARB makes you actively involved, but goes very quickly. These will take a LOT longer (guessing, but probably 15-20 minutes?) because they don't remove the core from the valve stem. There's a lot of air in automotive (esp offroad) tires, and you just can't flow it out of an aperture that small quickly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe it's the fact that I'm only running 31x10s, but the super cheap valvestem-depressing inflators I have still flow enough air out that I never bother actually installing all four at once, because I have to come back and stop deflating the first tire before I get that far.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It could be related to the PSI you go to, too. I'm either at 35+ or 8-10, which sounds like a bigger jump than others are mentioning.

I'm running 33x10.50s, which aren't by any means enormous.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Worth saying: I use the ARB deflator, because dear god, those things would take FOREVER.

I guess it's basically: Do you value effort or time more? The ARB makes you actively involved, but goes very quickly. These will take a LOT longer (guessing, but probably 15-20 minutes?) because they don't remove the core from the valve stem. There's a lot of air in automotive (esp offroad) tires, and you just can't flow it out of an aperture that small quickly.

Maybe on 38s or something. The stauns take my 31x10.5x15 from 32ish to 15 in a few mins. Basically by the time I get done removing the valve caps and screwing on the last deflator, the first one is just about done.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Maybe it's the fact that I'm only running 31x10s, but the super cheap valvestem-depressing inflators I have still flow enough air out that I never bother actually installing all four at once, because I have to come back and stop deflating the first tire before I get that far.

Basically this, but they stop for you.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Maybe on 38s or something. The stauns take my 31x10.5x15 from 32ish to 15 in a few mins. Basically by the time I get done removing the valve caps and screwing on the last deflator, the first one is just about done.
Disclaimer: It's been awhile since I did *anything* with PV = nRT, so I welcome the inevitable correction from kastein/our resident physics/engineering gods.

That being said, if I did my math right (a big if), I think it has way more to do with the pressures than the sizes:

Pressure in PSI, volume in liters according to this, temperature 80F

Effectively, I'm removing more air than you have in your tire to begin with, and more than 2x as much as you are. If I ran the same pressures, It's ~14mol difference and 1.2x for a 31x10 vs 33x10.5. Similarly, if the 31x10 were running the same pressures as I do, the difference is ~23mol and 1.3x

All that to say: If you run big pressure differentials, the ARB might be better, if you're not crazy, the Stauns are probably better.

Also, airing down is for vertical crawling and wimps :D

Edit: 31x10 vs 38x12.5, same pressures: 2.18x as much air. So ... size and pressure both.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 14, 2018

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Disclaimer: It's been awhile since I did *anything* with PV = nRT, so I welcome the inevitable correction from kastein/our resident physics/engineering gods.

That being said, if I did my math right (a big if), I think it has way more to do with the pressures than the sizes:

Pressure in PSI, volume in liters according to this, temperature 80F

Effectively, I'm removing more air than you have in your tire to begin with, and more than 2x as much as you are. If I ran the same pressures, It's ~14mol difference and 1.2x for a 31x10 vs 33x10.5. Similarly, if the 31x10 were running the same pressures as I do, the difference is ~23mol and 1.3x

All that to say: If you run big pressure differentials, the ARB might be better, if you're not crazy, the Stauns are probably better.

Also, airing down is for vertical crawling and wimps :D

Edit: 31x10 vs 38x12.5, same pressures: 2.18x as much air. So ... size and pressure both.

I think you're misusing PV = nRT. You're not taking into account the effect of the relative weight of the vehicle (JK, TJ, XJ, WJ, etc):

(very interesting breakdown, seriously thank you. I am numbers-retarded)
[(the stauns are pretty quick)]

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 14, 2018

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I think you're misusing PV = nRT. You're not taking into account the effect of the relative weight of the vehicle (JK, TJ, XJ, WJ, etc):

(very interesting breakdown, seriously thank you. I am numbers-retarded)
[(the stauns are pretty quick)]
Quoted for tire fellators. (I know that's not what it actually says, but I choose to see it anyway.)

The weight of the vehicle is an interesting bit ... I don't think it matters, because a) we have the same vehicle (though mine has more poo poo in it, I guess) and b) you could argue it from the point of view of deflating off the vehicle, but it might affect the equation a bit. I'm not sure, though. Oh, and 3) the pressure is measured with the weight of the vehicle on the tire, and iv) the tire is flexible, so the volume probably doesn't change much.

All this to say, let's go wheeling. I'll race you to offroading pressure. I don't air down unless I absolutely have to.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I air down from 60psi to 8 psi and even with the arb it takes forever. Granted I have 6 wheels and they're 47" tall. I'm actually thinking of rigging up some sort of quick connect poor man's CTIS system. Basically an air quick coupler at the frame above each wheel, and a hose that connects to that and the valve stem with those little clamper things. Then a ball valve to exhaust the pressure (possibly with a small air tank in between as a buffer) and then to fill up just open the other ball valve with the 100% duty cycle air pump. I actually have an air actuated PTO that I could use to run a compressor, not sure if I want to do that or just go electric.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also, deflated tires makes a larger difference than lockers and also adds a few inches in articulation. I'd say it's probably the most important "mod" you can do.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

jonathan posted:

Also, deflated tires makes a larger difference than lockers and also adds a few inches in articulation. I'd say it's probably the most important "mod" you can do.
I dunno about larger, but certainly they're in the same ballpark.

How does it add articulation, though? The only thing I can think is if you're stuffing your tires, but I'd think you're also losing height/clearance when you're deflating, which ... either doesn't affect, or doesn't help, articulation. Clearance your fender(well)s. :D

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Do trucks that get run off road ever run mousses in the tires?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krakkles posted:

I dunno about larger, but certainly they're in the same ballpark.

How does it add articulation, though? The only thing I can think is if you're stuffing your tires, but I'd think you're also losing height/clearance when you're deflating, which ... either doesn't affect, or doesn't help, articulation. Clearance your fender(well)s. :D

not really suspension articulation, but your total flex with tires, suspension and frame it gets improved by a bit. Think getting a tire up on a rock, if your suspension is already maxed, a soft tire might be able to get on top because of the squishyness. If you put a rig on a ramp to measure flex, you can artificially improve the score with soft tires.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Krakkles posted:

Sticking a key in the valve takes me 1min 30 to drop from 38 to 22 PSI so your maths is probably a bit suspect on the Stauns. Haven't used them yet but you just chuck em on as you go around the vehicle, first one would almost be done by the time you get to the last one. Valve core remover deflators require sitting there fluffing around, too much admin

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

drive a 1980s leaf spring toyota with hosed suspension and you'll be considering airing down going to the shops, just to smooth out the ride

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

I have the cheapo screw on deflators. I start on one tire, then wait a few beats and move on to the next, et cetera. Once the first tire is done I unscrew that deflator, and make my way around. Usually pull them a few lbs early and fine tune from there.

I have the interco birddog wheels with dual valve stems, so I could pull the valve core and still measure pressure while it deflates, which goes very quickly, but then I'm stuck doing them one at a time. Plus it really sucks to drop a valve core in the dirt and frantically try to find it before you completely deflate the tire.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

gimpsuitjones posted:

drive a 1980s leaf spring toyota with hosed suspension and you'll be considering airing down going to the shops, just to smooth out the ride

As someone who’s currently daily driving a 1992 hilux with half a million kms on the clock I can attest that this man speaks the truth. I’m running 265/75R16’s on it and its down to 32 psi on road just so I can make it to work without a back injury from a speed bump

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ferremit posted:

As someone who’s currently daily driving a 1992 hilux with half a million kms on the clock I can attest that this man speaks the truth. I’m running 265/75R16’s on it and its down to 32 psi on road just so I can make it to work without a back injury from a speed bump

Probably doesn't need much more than 32psi anyway with LT rated tyres? The new single cab lux rides much nicer than the BJ73 although that's probably due to it weighing 500kg less and not having entirely hosed springs + rear shocks.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

gimpsuitjones posted:

Probably doesn't need much more than 32psi anyway with LT rated tyres? The new single cab lux rides much nicer than the BJ73 although that's probably due to it weighing 500kg less and not having entirely hosed springs + rear shocks.

Lol also due to having 24-27 psi in the tyres

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Turned back before I got myself in trouble today. I probably could have handled the rest of the trail just fine but I didn't feel like coming back down in case my map was wrong or it got washed out or something.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Been entirely too long since I've been to the desert:

M.O.R.E. Racing - PCI Race Radios 300 - Sept 2018 by Nate H, on Flickr

More at the album. It was pretty eventful, though not near where we were posted - we were near mile marker 22, and basically didn't get to see any of the action - despite the fact that there were 8-10 rollovers.

If you like the desert and off-roading, and you live anywhere near SoCal, you owe it to yourself to check these out. They're cool as hell.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krakkles posted:

Been entirely too long since I've been to the desert:

More at the album. It was pretty eventful, though not near where we were posted - we were near mile marker 22, and basically didn't get to see any of the action - despite the fact that there were 8-10 rollovers.

If you like the desert and off-roading, and you live anywhere near SoCal, you owe it to yourself to check these out. They're cool as hell.

Is that a class 1 and then an Ultra 4 behind it ?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

jonathan posted:

Is that a class 1 and then an Ultra 4 behind it ?
Class 10 (engine limited class 1) and a KOH truck, which I think they recently added as Ultra 4.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Cool stuff, I bet it sounded amazing.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krakkles posted:

Class 10 (engine limited class 1) and a KOH truck, which I think they recently added as Ultra 4.

I love the ultra4 (top KOH class) trucks competing in desert races. My fantasy is a freak rainstorm and the KOH trucks take best time overall because they power through the wet silt.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Not very offroady, but I have been working on getting my grandfathers boat sorted. it's all sat since 04 and the tarp failed long ago. somehow it got full of bullshit and the front leaks so ill have to sort that.

I went through both rear trailer bearings, repacked them, set preload to what seemed good from teaching myself from youtube, two new tires. Ebay LED wiring kit. I have the period correct lights I want to LED convert, but for now it was yolo a chinese kit on with zipties. Borrow some plates. Once at the shop spent two hours pressurewashing the tub out as it was full of pine needles under all the supports.

Motor inside on a stand and chrisgt should be helping me sort it out over the winter.

I don't need another project but this is a great picture that means a lot to me:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Picked this up today. 2002 with 300k for $3400. The only thing I would have gotten different from the dealer is a 5spd.

Gotta get it ready for winter before I worry too much about off-road stuff yet. Suspension is a bit squishy, so maybe I'll have to do something there sooner rather than later.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
2001 was the last year of the stick in those I believe, but nice 3rd gen! I have a 97 and I am always in the market for another clean one. They are the bee's knees.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

highme posted:

Picked this up today. 2002 with 300k for $3400. The only thing I would have gotten different from the dealer is a 5spd.

Gotta get it ready for winter before I worry too much about off-road stuff yet. Suspension is a bit squishy, so maybe I'll have to do something there sooner rather than later.

Beautiful, though sometimes the prices on old Toyotas boggles me. Then I realize my '13 FJ Cruiser is now worth slightly more than new msrp.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Got out and got dirty at Big Creek Rocks in Troy, NC, a private trail system essentially across the street from the Uwharrie Nat'l Forest OHV trails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7psvoegAV4E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TJCC1fP_ZM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxT7e6sW_2o

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I don't know how you guys do it in states without vast amounts of public land [BLM/etc].

Moved to central Texas this year and.. my off-roading options seems to be limited to Hidden Falls, a private OHV park which ranks as an "OK" for me.

I miss the California desert/mountains.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Big K of Justice posted:

Same. :saddowns:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Hell, in Utah I need 4wd just to get to some of my hiking trailheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Big K of Justice posted:

man no kidding... Norcal has some dirt but you can't put your grubby knobbies in it.

somewhere in johnson valley over thanksgiving break

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 27, 2018